Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Bill Whitaker reports on the German prison system which emphasizes rehabilitation rather than punishment and allows convicts an astonishing amount of freedom.

Video:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-germany-prisons-crime-and-punishment/

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Wow. Not bad digs at all.

...Almost too nice?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Studies support that punitive punishment, especially the American prison system, does much of nothing to prevent recidivism. However, I'm not sure our country truly wants to prevent recidivism; the prison industry makes tons of money based off of how many people they can lock up.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Studies support that punitive punishment, especially the American prison system, does much of nothing to prevent recidivism. However, I'm not sure our country truly wants to prevent recidivism; the prison industry makes tons of money based off of how many people they can lock up.

I think that there should be a 2 tiered approach to the prison system.

I have no problem with working to rehab most convicts. However, those who have callously murdered others, or those behind the sale of huge quantities of drugs that destroy so many lives, should never be released to harm their fellow citizens ever again.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just asking, because I don't know, but how does the prison system make money from locking people up? Don't the tax payers foot the bill?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Just asking, because I don't know, but how does the prison system make money from locking people up? Don't the tax payers foot the bill?

Here ya go, Eve... 'getting your learn on' starts here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery...-talking-about/

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I have no problem with working to rehab most convicts. However, those who have callously murdered others, or those behind the sale of huge quantities of drugs that destroy so many lives, should never be released to harm their fellow citizens ever again.

And sex offenders... they are at or near the bottom for me.

And I'm not talking about the folks that were walking home drunk and stopped to take a leak near an elementary school at 2 am... or the 22 year old that's dating a 17 year old in a consenting relationship.. I'm talking about REAL sex offenders.. I have no remorse for them at all.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote from the parole board in the movie Shawshank Redemption

“Do you consider yourself ‘rehabilitated?’”

It’s so hard to balance rehabilitation with punishment.

I do not like seeing Michael Skakel free (He was the “Kennedy” kid that murdered Martha Moxley when they were 15 year-olds in 1975).

I want to see him rot in prison. But that’s because I viewed him as a spoiled-rotten, privileged punk. I hate seeing him free. His wealthy parents managed to keep him out of prison for a long-time.

But he has served 20 years. I’m not familiar with his behavior in prison.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the double standard you see in our nation.

Just Us for people who can afford good attorneys....

And Justice for everyone else....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

And I'm not talking about the folks that were walking home drunk and stopped to take a leak near an elementary school at 2 am... or the 22 year old that's dating a 17 year old in a consenting relationship.. I'm talking about REAL sex offenders.. I have no remorse for them at all.

I wondered what the recidivism rate is for sex offenders (like you mentioned) in Germany, then I wandered onto this article from 2012:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/179189/prison-or-castration-for-sex-offenders-in-germany-russia/

Legend
Legend
You also almost never hear about weed users/dealers serving life sentences in Germany.

But ya know, we gotta keep Gods plant illegal and the man made stuff legal.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Child Molesters... Oh yeah, they are right up there near the top for me.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Privacy, weekend leave, keys...This is prison? (60 Minutes)

Link Copied to Clipboard