Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriffs-office-report-shooting-sc-elementary-school-185714757.html

TOWNVILLE, S.C. (AP) — A teenager killed his father at their home Wednesday before going to a nearby elementary school and opening fire with a handgun, wounding two students and a teacher, authorities said.

The teen was apprehended within minutes of the school shooting in this rural town about 110 miles northeast of Atlanta. One of the students was shot in the leg and the other in the foot, Capt. Garland Major with the Anderson County sheriff’s office said. Both students were male. The female teacher was hit in the shoulder.

Before the shooting at Townville Elementary about 1:45 p.m., the teen gunned down his 47-year-old father, Jeffrey Osborne, at their home about 2 miles from the school, authorities said.

“We are heartbroken about this senseless act of violence,” said Joanne Avery, superintendent of Anderson County School District 4. She canceled classes for the rest of the week.

Authorities did not release a motive for the shooting. They said they weren’t sure if the students and teacher were targeted.

Asked about the teen’s relationship to the students, Major said “I know they all go to school together.” He later said the teen was being homeschooled and didn’t clarify his earlier remark.

Authorities said they believe there was only one shooter and that all other students at Townville Elementary were safe. The students were bused to a nearby church and reunited with their parents. They hugged and kissed.

The school has about 300 students in its pre-kindergarten to sixth-grade classrooms. It is in a very rural part of the state and surrounded by working farms.

“This is the country,” Brandi Pierce, the mother of a sixth-grader, told The Associated Press as she began to cry. “You don’t have this in the country. It just don’t exist out here.”

Jamie Meredith, a student’s mother, said some of the children went into a bathroom during the shooting.

“I don’t know how they knew to go in the bathroom, but I know her teacher was shaken up. I know all the kids were scared. There was a bunch of kids crying. She didn’t talk for about 5 minutes when I got her,” she told WYFF.

Television images showed officers swarming the school after the report of an active shooter. Some were on top of the roof while others were walking around the building. Students were driven away on buses accompanied by police officers.

Gov. Nikki Haley released a statement shortly after the shooting.

“As we work together with law enforcement to make sure they have the support they need to investigate what happened in Townville, Michael and I ask that everyone across South Carolina join us in praying for the entire Townville Elementary School family and those touched by today’s tragedy.”

The rural town is located along Interstate 85 near the Georgia-South Carolina state line.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Nothing? K.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Glad they caught him before he killed anyone at the school (not to say his dad isn't important).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know we practiced for these situations a lot when I was teaching in recent years.

I think it's great that the authorities had it handled w/in minutes. Great preparation is huge.

On the other hand, I think it is sad that our society is creating more and more monsters that want to commit such heinous crimes. And yes, I blame politicians and the media for putting school districts in these no-win situations.

Legend
Legend
It's always something that's in the back of my mind at school each day, but who knows how I'd really react. We prepare and stuff, but each situation is different I'm sure.

It's unfathomable to hurt others like that IMO ... especially near kids

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
It's almost time to make this kid stand in the corner while we count to three. cry

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Homeschooled?

Why even go to the school to kill? End of the day, I'm glad he couldn't kill at the school. Feel for his dad though.

Legend
Legend
I'm confused.. it says he is a teenager.. it says they all go to school together... teenagers don't go to elementary school... Then it says he is homeschooled...

I will wait for more facts and I'm glad nobody at the school was killed..

yebat' Putin
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yea it's odd. It's why I posted it cause the story is just weird as hell.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Homeschooled?

Why even go to the school to kill? End of the day, I'm glad he couldn't kill at the school. Feel for his dad though.

We could have fun speculating all day but it sounds like he used to to school and was now homeschooled.. maybe he was homeschooled because he was bullied at school? Maybe he was homeschooled because his dad was some kind of anti-establishment rebel? Maybe he was homeschooled because he was being physically or sexually abused at home and his dad thought the school might find out? Maybe he was homeschooled because he was developmentally slow or had other mental/anger issues?

It's odd and maybe even telling that there is none of what you usually see in these articles.. "We're shocked because they seemed like such a nice family..." or "He was always such a nice kid..." There is none of that and it is conspicuous in its absence.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah, more facts need to be revealed as you said a few posts earlier. The initial math isn't adding up.

Judging by the confusing remarks about him going to school and him bring Homeschooled, sounds like he recently stopped attending the school.

Swish said it, it's a bit odd. He is 14 years old, what grade would that have put him in?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Swish said it, it's a bit odd. He is 14 years old, what grade would that have put him in?

Typically 9th. My daughter just turned 13 and she is in the 8th grade. There is no way he should be in elementary school at 14.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Typically 9th. My daughter just turned 13 and she is in the 8th grade. There is no way he should be in elementary school at 14.

Oh wow, dating soon. Better keep the BP meds handy.

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Yeah, more facts need to be revealed as you said a few posts earlier. The initial math isn't adding up.

Judging by the confusing remarks about him going to school and him bring Homeschooled, sounds like he recently stopped attending the school.

People may be over reacting to the "going to school with the other students/home schooling" thing.

In the article it states this, said by Major
Quote:
Asked about the teen’s relationship to the students, Major said “I know they all go to school together.” He later said the teen was being homeschooled and didn’t clarify his earlier remark.

Perhaps he just misspoke?

OR, now that I think about it - even home schooled students are allowed and encouraged to participate in their school districts extra curricular areas, as in band, choir, athletics, etc. At least, here in Ohio.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Boy I don't know, on a topic like that, I'll keep the assumptions outta the picture.

Reports say that the shooter was yelling "I hate my life" during his rampage :

http://ijr.com/2016/09/703862-haunting-w...eting-students/

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i just dont get it bro.

why do people who hate their lives gotta take everybody down with them.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
You would have to ask them because we have no freakin clue frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
i just dont get it bro.

Make themselves feel better, live a four to six week fame on the TV/media and really - the possibilites are endless. Mentally unstable don't question themselves and don't need a match or a fire source to ignite. Look up Brenda Spencer, she was 16 when she killed people at an elementary school, sniping them from her home. They asked her why and she said something like "I don't like Mondays".

notallthere notallthere

Originally Posted By: GMdawg
You would have to ask them because we have no freakin clue frown

They'll get that opportunity, thanks to that volunteer firefighter. He saved a lot of innocent life, and more than likely - the life of the shooter as' well. Jamie Brock.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
i just dont get it bro.

People who are miserable hate people who are not miserable.. I don't know why but it's always been that way. It's almost like they feel there is a finite amount of happiness in the world and they have too much so I don't have enough.. so they have to be punished for it.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just speculating here,but a lot of time in the rural districts they have unified campuses where HS/MS/Elem are all in the same building that is divided up

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Authorities: School shooter killed father before rampage

Link Copied to Clipboard