Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Instead of posting this 4 times I thought it would be better to just post it once in a new thread.

What Browns GM John Dorsey has learned about the top four QBs in the NFL Draft

Patrick Maks
Staff Writer

Cleveland visited with Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield last week

ORLANDO —The Browns spent the past week trekking across the country on something of a tour of the top quarterbacks in this year’s NFL Draft class.
In the span of about four or five days, general manager John Dorsey and Cleveland’s front office visited with USC’s Sam Darnold, Wyoming’s Josh Allen, UCLA’s Josh Rosen and Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield in search of “clarity of thought” with what to do with the first overall pick.

Here’s what Dorsey gleaned from a journey that took him, head coach Hue Jackson and other members of the team's executive staff from Norman, Oklahoma, to Los Angeles and Laramie, Wyoming.

Tuesday: Josh Rosen, UCLA (private workout):

At the Senior Bowl in January, Dorsey shrugged off a report Rosen wouldn’t want to play in Cleveland, saying he wanted to sit down with the UCLA star and talk to him face-to-face before jumping to any conclusions. “I told you back in Alabama when we get together we’re going to talk like grown men and that’s how we talked. He came across, he’s not a bad person, I mean he’s really smart, he’s engaging, he does want to be in Cleveland,” Dorsey said.

“After our conversations, he has no problems being in Cleveland. Again, it’s one of those conversations where that story can take a life of its own but until you meet him I’m not going to get into that. I want to see the person before I make judgment on a person. That’s fair, isn’t it?"

Rosen has been described by NFL Network's Mike Mayock as the best pure passer in recent memory, but there remain concerns about his durability and passion for the game.

Wednesday: Sam Darnold, USC (on-campus Pro Day):

Darnold shined on an unexpectedly stormy day​ in Los Angeles, throwing crisp passes amid a downpour that drenched all of those in attendance. Dorsey said he was pleased with how the 20-year-old Darnold handled the situation.

“You know what? I'm kind of glad it rained a little bit just to see everything unfold,” he said. “I thought he had a really nice workout. I thought he showed feet, he showed the ability to roll out, extend the play, he showed the quick release, he showed downfield accuracy. I mean it really was a really good workout."

Dorsey added: “It was good. There was a degree of adversity, and it didn't affect him. It's always good to see guys perform under adverse situations. Plus, there was a big crowd. I thought he did very nice."

With a combination of arm talent, accuracy, mobility and poise, Darnold is considered by many to be the best quarterback in this year’s class.
Thursday: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma (private workout):

Mayfield, the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner, is, perhaps, one of the most polarizing players in this year’s draft class. For some, he could be a game-changing quarterback whose accuracy (68.5 percent), production (33 career wins, 12,292 passing yards, 119 touchdowns) and competitive fire will serve him well at the next level. Others believe he’s an undersized passer prone to emotional outbursts.
Dorsey, who shrugged off off-field concerns about Mayfield back at the Senior Bowl in January, was again complimentary of the former Oklahoma star. “I think he’s very competitive on the football field. I think his teammates absolutely love him,” he said. “I think everybody in the support organization of Oklahoma loves him. I think he’s got a degree of humility in his person.”

Asked about Mayfield’s bravado at the combine — he said he was the only quarterback who could turn the Browns around — Dorsey smiled. “What are these guys, millennials?” he said, laughing. “It’s a different mindset now.” He also said he's not bothered by Mayfield's recent media endeavors, which includes a documentary series detailing his path to the NFL as a former walk-on.

Friday: Josh Allen, Wyoming (on-campus Pro Day):

Allen, who appears to have the strongest arm of any draft-eligible quarterback, showed off that rare arm talent Friday, throwing passes of 80-plus yards inside the team’s indoor fieldhouse. Dorsey said Allen, who completed just 56 percent of his passes in college, also answered questions about his accuracy and footwork.

Dorsey added: "I will say one of the receivers at Wyoming, I thought he broke his sternum there in the end zone when Josh Allen kind of ripped the ball right in his chest. He's got a very strong arm."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...92-fe7033809ed0

#gmstrong
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:
At the Senior Bowl in January, Dorsey shrugged off a report Rosen wouldn’t want to play in Cleveland, saying he wanted to sit down with the UCLA star and talk to him face-to-face before jumping to any conclusions. “I told you back in Alabama when we get together we’re going to talk like grown men and that’s how we talked. He came across, he’s not a bad person, I mean he’s really smart, he’s engaging, he does want to be in Cleveland,” Dorsey said.

I don't like the tone I read into this.[b][/b]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
im still in hold phase of guessing who the browns like until other school pro days come and go.

louisville's is on the 29th.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns GM John Dorsey says he has ‘clarity of thought’ after spending last week with the four top-rated quarterbacks in draft

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal/Ohio.com
ORLANDO: The all-important quarterback picture is coming into focus for new Browns General Manager John Dorsey.

Dorsey and other franchise bigwigs, including owner Jimmy Haslam and coach Hue Jackson, spent last week evaluating in person the four top-rated quarterbacks in this year’s class. They attended the pro days of Southern California’s Sam Darnold and Wyoming’s Josh Allen in addition to privately working out Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and UCLA’s Josh Rosen.

“Anytime you get a chance to be together as an organization and kind of go and see the top four players at their respective position, you get a chance to meet them as a person, you get a chance to kind of watch them and their depth of X’s and O’s and then you get a chance to actually physically work them, see them work out,” Dorsey told a small group of reporters Monday during the NFL owners meetings at the Ritz-Carlton hotel and resort. “But I thought it was good. You get to see them back to back to back, so it’s all fresh in your mind.

“I think there’s some things that it worked out. I think there’s clarity of thought, but there’s still five weeks until the draft. So we still have a lot more planning to go along, but it’s another check on the box.”

Dorsey said it’s “fair enough” to label Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen legitimate candidates to become the top pick. He sidestepped a question about whether he has a leader.

“I won’t tell you who it is. It could be [Penn State running back] Saquon Barkley,” he said.

Dorsey made himself smile by throwing Barkley’s name into the mix, another sign the Browns will likely draft a QB first overall on April 26, even though they also have the No. 4 pick.

Darnold is the presumptive favorite. The Browns, including Haslam, dined with Darnold on the eve of his pro day. After the workout, NFL Network analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks were among those saying they would be stunned if the Browns don’t draft Darnold first overall.

“I still say the draft is five weeks away,” Dorsey said. “I know this: They’re all good football players.”

And Dorsey praised each of them.

He was impressed with Darnold’s throwing session in the rain Wednesday at USC.

“I’m kind of glad it rained a little bit just to see everything unfold,” Dorsey said. “I thought he had a really nice workout. I thought he showed feet, he showed the ability to roll out, extend the play, he showed the quick release, he showed downfield accuracy. I mean it really was a really good workout.

“It was good [to see him react to the rain]. There was a degree of adversity, and it didn’t affect him. It’s always good to see guys perform under adverse situations. Plus, there was a big crowd. I thought he did very nice.”

Allen continued to show improvement Friday at Wyoming’s pro day while trying to convince evaluators he can become a more accurate passer despite posting a completion percentage of 56.2 in college.

“He did [answer some questions about footwork and accuracy],” Dorsey said. “Both [Darnold and Allen] are working with the same quarterback guru [Jordan Palmer]. They’re both really talented players. I will say one of the receivers at Wyoming, I thought he broke his sternum there in the end zone when Josh Allen kind of ripped the ball right in his chest. He’s got a very strong arm.”

The Browns conducted a private workout with Mayfield on Thursday at Oklahoma.

“I thought he had a really good workout,” Dorsey said. “I thought he had a really good conversation with the group that night. I thought he did really well on the X’s and O’s.”

Mayfield is a polarizing prospect because some question his attitude and character, but Dorsey has defended him throughout this offseason.

“I think he’s very competitive on the football field,” Dorsey said. “I think his teammates absolutely love him. I think everybody in the support organization of Oklahoma loves him. I think he’s got a degree of humility in his person.”

Others see cockiness. Earlier this month at the NFL Scouting Combine, Mayfield said if there’s anyone who could reverse the fortunes of the Browns, it’s him.

“What are these guys, millennials? It’s a different mindset now,” Dorsey said.

Although Dorsey is an old-school scout, he insisted he doesn’t have a problem with Mayfield promoting himself as a celebrity QB. Mayfield has granted Sports Illustrated and a film crew access for projects during the pre-draft process.

“If you love the game of football and you really are a good person and you get along with your teammates, that other stuff, is that marketing, media?” Dorsey said. “Would I like for him to like concentrate [on football]? Yeah, but these guys are on different platforms now.”

Rosen’s personality is under scrutiny, too. There has been plenty of discussion about whether he’s coachable, liked by teammates and willing to play in Cleveland. The Browns held their private workout with him Tuesday at UCLA.

“He’s not a bad person,” Dorsey said. “I mean he’s really smart, he’s engaging, he does want to be in Cleveland. After our conversations, he has no problems being in Cleveland.

“[In the workout], he showed arm strength. He showed footwork. It was better than I saw on film. He can throw on the move. Really, he’s a really good passer.”

Rosen is the least mobile of the bunch, and because veteran starter Tyrod Taylor is such a dangerous dual threat, some have speculated the Browns will draft a QB with a similar skill set. However, Dorsey said it doesn’t really bother him if the rookie has a different style.

Although Dorsey has a better view, he’s not done digging into the quarterback questions. The Browns are expected to host Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen on pre-draft visits at their headquarters in Berea. Dorsey likes the idea of scheduling the visits one after the other.

After all, he has four top contenders to compare and contrast this year.

“It’s a good problem to have,” he said.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns...rbacks-in-draft

#gmstrong
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
He’s learned where and what his QB likes to eat when the owner and all the staff takes him to dinner.

Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
brownie

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Although Dorsey has a better view, he’s not done digging into the quarterback questions. The Browns are expected to host Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen on pre-draft visits at their headquarters in Berea. Dorsey likes the idea of scheduling the visits one after the other.

Lol so the guys who get the middle interview spots are screwed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Is this a joke or serious? I'm totally confused.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
All Pro
All Pro
“[In the workout], he showed arm strength. He showed footwork. It was better than I saw on film. He can throw on the move. Really, he’s a really good passer."

After watching the video Petey posted of Jim Mora saying Rosen should go to New York I was pretty deflated. The above quote has me a little more hopeful. The consensus seems to be that Rosen is the best qb on film and Dorsey is telling us that he's even better. Another media knock has been that Rosen lacks mobility, but Dorsey makes a point of shooting that down.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dorsey said nothing but positive things about all options. I don't think there is any hand-tipping here. He even threw in hope for Barkley fans.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I kind of hope that as soon as they decide who the guy is, they let the NFL know and start the contract talks. Put the Giants on the clock and focus on #4 and the rest of the draft.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
They already know, they’re just making it more difficult for the other teams and their draft boards. I’m sure Dorsey’s working on the 4th pick. Why give up any information? It doesn’t benefit us. It would make you sleep a little bit better at night though.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think they have already decided, and there is no need, another team may want to trade up, and may offer a kings ransom.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: chirp30
They already know, they’re just making it more difficult for the other teams and their draft boards. I’m sure Dorsey’s working on the 4th pick. Why give up any information? It doesn’t benefit us. It would make you sleep a little bit better at night though.

Yup. And the Draft is a huge event for the NFL. They want there to be a lot of hoopla leading up to it. They want there to be a question as long as they can.

This is the type of stuff discussed at these owner's meetings. The more guesswork, the more their network is watched, articles are read leading up to the draft, and the more people watch the draft in general.

They're trying to build excitement. So they'll try and team's preferences (most importantly ours) as air tight as they can for as long as they can

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Yep, and I’m sure the Browns will you up most of their allotted time on the 1st pick also. It’s all about the drama.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Tuesday: Josh Rosen, UCLA (private workout):

“After our conversations, he has no problems being in Cleveland. Again, it’s one of those conversations where that story can take a life of its own but until you meet him I’m not going to get into that. I want to see the person before I make judgment on a person. That’s fair, isn’t it?"

Originally Posted By: John Dorsey on Stanton

a guy who knows the game and knows the term professionalism, I’m excited to add a presence like that in the room.”

Originally Posted By: John Dorsey on Rosen

He came across, he’s not a bad person, I mean he’s really smart, he’s engaging

Originally Posted By: John Dorsey on Stanton

knows the term professionalism

he’s not a bad person, I mean he’s really smart

he’s not a bad person

^ This is something you say about the girl you don't want to take on a date.

IMO there is NO way we are taking Rosen.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks for the read and thanks for starting a stand alone thread. Too many times this stuff gets buried somewhere inside 3-4 other threads that have gone flat.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
at this point, there really isn't a QB who we've been linked to or rumored to like ... we've done a good job keeping everyone on their toes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: chirp30
Yep, and I’m sure the Browns will you up most of their allotted time on the 1st pick also. It’s all about the drama.

I think the NFL and networks want that. If everybody ran their pick up in 1 minute, there would be a lot of time to kill before the show was over.

As to where we stand, I am not sure we have already decided, but it has been narrowed down. Still a few more visits, and setting up plan B in the event someone makes a great offer for #1. I don't think we plan to trade down, but as the saying goes...everything has a price. Especially since we hold the 4th pick and there are at least 4 QBs who hold promise. It's not like there is only 1 QB who going to be a good player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
This all reads like trade bait from 1 to 2 imho. Dorsey not going to reveal his pick until all possible trades are off the table.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
at this point, there really isn't a QB who we've been linked to or rumored to like ... we've done a good job keeping everyone on their toes

I think a lot of teams have... we have no idea what the Giants are thinking... is it Barkley? is it Chubb? a QB?

And the Jets moved up assuming that their pick is going to be there. Do they know something? Or are they content with 1 of the top 3 quarterbacks if it comes to that?

Could one of these NY teams trade with the Browns at 1? Could we see and draft and swap like we did 14 years ago with Manning and Rivers?

We are linked most heavily to Darnold, but are we leaking things to keep teams from really knowing who we want? And why would that matter?

Do we even know who we want or is it still up in the air like many suggest?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Is this a joke or serious? I'm totally confused.

It is believed in the interview process that the it is best to go first or last.. first gives you the opportunity to set the bar, set the standard, make a good first impression... going last means you are the last one they saw, the most fresh in their mind, etc.. going in the middle you can sometimes get lost or overshadowed.

We interview for projects all the time and our preference is to go first, if not first last... I have no idea if there is any empirical data to back up whether going first or last is an advantage but it is a fairly common belief.

Of course if you don't want to be the #1 overall and come to Cleveland, being in the middle might be good for you.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Just curious .... why is it u prefer going first over last? ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
We interview for projects all the time and our preference is to go first, if not first last... I have no idea if there is any empirical data to back up whether going first or last is an advantage but it is a fairly common belief.

I dunno, I did a job interview last once. Total disaster. It was a Friday, and I got there at 3:30 in the afternoon. I felt like I was rushed.

Next thing I know, as I'm leaving the building and walking to the subway, I see tons of cars leaving from the place I had just been at (it was Sandy Hook Pilots in Staten Island). The same ones in the parking lot.

What a disaster. My only chance to become a Sandy Hook Pilot (they have age restrictions, I'd never get to interview again), partially thrown away because it was Friday Afternoon, and they wanted to go home and probably beat traffic. I probably wouldn't have gotten my chance anyway, but who knows, I might have made their wait list (to which, I'd have had better credentials when they evaluated me again)

Just the way life goes I guess.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/27/18 11:14 AM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Just curious .... why is it u prefer going first over last? ...

Interview fatigue perhaps? By the time they get to the last guy, they may have already made a decision. I had 4 guys come in for solar panel installation estimates last year, and by the time the 4th guy came, I was just about done hearing spiels.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Interview fatigue perhaps? By the time they get to the last guy, they may have already made a decision. I had 4 guys come in for solar panel installation estimates last year, and by the time the 4th guy came, I was just about done hearing spiels.

Yup. Time to get outta there and go get a beer. Like what happened to me. lol

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft What Browns GM John Dorsey has learned about the top four QBs in the NFL Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard