#1448344 05/01/18 03:54 PM
BADdog Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

When does Baker start
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/01/18 03:53 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Joe Thomas #73
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I think it will be after week 12 unless Taylor stinks it up (don't think that will happen) or he gets injured. If by some odd chance we end up in the playoff hunt late, he doesn't start until we're out of it.

"Worst case scenario", Taylor makes it so that we have no choice but to re-sign him and keep Baker on the bench.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I voted midseason but this is going on account that Taylor isn't operating at semi-mildly above average or maybe even average at best level.

I think if Taylor is executing the offense well and making some plays with his feet when needed, Baker sits all year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I didn't vote because there was no option for my choice. I think he'll start the last a game or two.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
2019.... don't want him anywhere near the playing field except during preseason...

<><

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker isn't the type of guy to sit for long. He is going to get up to speed a lot quicker than people think. It's about the discipline of the coaching staff.

Tyrod doesn't really get injured, so it stands to reason he would come here and get injured. I'm voting injury and the only reason I'm not voting week 1 is because of how hard the coaching staff has said he won't play at all.

Legend
Legend
I think that the team is really committed to giving him time to develop and learn, and they have Taylor here to carry the load this year.

I don't think that Baker will start until the end of the year, maybe games 14, 15, and 16 ..... when the team is well established.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I just hope he doesn't go all Tanya Harding on Taylor, to get in there sooner.

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
I don't think Taylor will stink things up. He may not provide the spark that Mayfield could bring, but I think he can probably run this offense.

I think they would like to sit Mayfield the whole year, have Taylor play well enough that maybe he draws a contract elsewhere, and Mayfield is given the keys in 2019.

We know that's not going to happen, because the Browns go through quarterbacks in bunches every year.

I do think Mayfield will start at some point this year. I think he is ready. He's got a lot to work on, but I think he can handle being a rookie starter.

The big monkey wrench in all of this, is how this thing starts off. If the Browns find themselves 0-2, 0-3, and Jackson starts feeling that obvious pressure of being fired, does he play the last card he has, which is Baker Mayfield?

I'd rather this team have a plan, and follow through with it. If they feel like Mayfield is ready, than he should probably start right now. If they don't, then stick to that too.

I normally don't think the Browns have ever really been that organization that wants to make the statement of firing a coach in mid-season, but I firmly believe if we start off 0-3, Jackson is gone, and Haley takes over. I hope that doesn't happen, but I think in an honest moment we all know it's possible.

To answer this poll though, in my opinion, Mayfield doesn't see the field unless/until Taylor gets hurt. I believe when healthy, Taylor can keep things moving for the offense. Mayfield becomes the uncontested starter in 2019.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I can't believe almost half the votes think Baker sits the whole year.

The only way I think this is a probability is if the starter, Tyrod, played very well like a seasoned vet and "longtime Brown",

yet we all know Tyrod is also his first year with the Browns, so an almost impossible scenario.

The only other scenario I see is if Baker is injured, out for the year, unable to play at all, otherwise, at some point in the 18 season Baker will probably play, but start?

Well if the Browns struggle, again, like I think they will, I think even starting in the 18 season is inevitable, it happened each of the last 3 years.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm guessing we'll be out of the playoff race, and he'll start at least week 17.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I'm guessing we'll be out of the playoff race, and he'll start at least week 17.

That brings up an interesting debate. Let's say the Browns are 6-8, out of the playoff race, and Taylor is healthy, and playing decent.

You literally went +6 from the previous year, which is an amazing feat, but with the focus on the future, do you just yank Taylor because he's likely not going to stay if he can find a starting gig elsewhere?

I think regardless of how this season goes, aside from Taylor taking us to the Super Bowl, Baker Mayfield is your week one starter in 2019.

I don't agree that the preseason is absolutely meaningless, but after seeing a ton of preseason time as a rookie, I don't think next year's preseason can do as much for Mayfield as playing week 16 and 17 games that count in the books.

Tough call, but I think of all the possibilities that can happen with this team, it's most likely to happen that we get some wins, but not of the playoff contender variety, putting us in a difficult position of sitting a QB who has probably done everything asked of him.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Your last paragraph sums it up.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus When does Baker start?

Link Copied to Clipboard