Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
J/c

In fairness, up until when the game was out of reach, our run D was pretty strong ... but the penalties on the DL were concerning too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

There is a ton of talk about the officiating and about the OL.

There is very little talk about Baker's three interceptions and holding the ball too long, as well as a change in scheme where we are not helping the OL w/TEs and RBs and plays that take longer to develop.

Priorities. LOL

/endthread

Freddy came out last season knowing he had to get the ball out quick. He made it appear that he understood how to cater to a 'weak' oline, and a rookie QB, by creating quick decision plays.

I didn't see a lot of that on Sunday. I also didn't see enough contribution from Nick Chubb. He got 17 carries, which seems like plenty on paper, but he was so effective (4.4 ypc), I think he should have gotten more.

Its too premature to make any hard calls on saying this or that needs to change on offense, but I hope the play calling trends on the side of what we saw last season.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I was most concerned about our LBs coming into yesterday but they were probably the best unit on our D during the game ... Randall was quite bad, as was Ward. And Our DL ... one of our strengths ... had about 3 times too many penalties, maybe more

The LBs were not good. The Titans knew we couldn't stop the underneath stuff last year...and we proved that we still cannot. Four completions to WRs out of 25. No one played WELL...but the LBs were poor.
Agreed, the LB were awful. Slowbert needs to go.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
I was most concerned about our LBs coming into yesterday but they were probably the best unit on our D during the game ... Randall was quite bad, as was Ward. And Our DL ... one of our strengths ... had about 3 times too many penalties, maybe more

The LBs were not good. The Titans knew we couldn't stop the underneath stuff last year...and we proved that we still cannot. Four completions to WRs out of 25. No one played WELL...but the LBs were poor.

Schobert isn't the problem. He is one of the best run support ILB in the NFL, he is average in pass coverage which is good enough. This guy made the Pro Bowl in 2017 and lead the league in tackles, folks need to stop creating problems where non exist. Schobert is a good player, he reminds me alot of a LB the Patriots used to have the name of Teddy Bruschi...Scobert is the least of our concerns.

the 1st change we should make next week is putting Terrance Mitchell back at the #2 Corner spot where he belongs. Greedy Williams is an AWFUL tackler, and isn't a starting a corner. Mitchel had a great year last year before his injury, and Mitchell is a much better tackler, and much better in run support...he is a very very very slight downgrade in pass coverage, but Mitchell is the overall better CB than Williams at this stage by quite a margin. Williams is a guy in as year or so, once he becomes a batter tackler, can maybe take that spot. Right now Mitchell should be the #2 corner. He is the better player.

Legend
Legend
I hadn’t noticed Greedy at all during the game, so I’m glad you mentioned him ... was he bad in run support?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Schobert isn't the problem. He is one of the best run support ILB in the NFL, he is average in pass coverage which is good enough. This guy made the Pro Bowl in 2017 and lead the league in tackles, folks need to stop creating problems where non exist. Schobert is a good player, he reminds me alot of a LB the Patriots used to have the name of Teddy Bruschi...Scobert is the least of our concerns.

the 1st change we should make next week is putting Terrance Mitchell back at the #2 Corner spot where he belongs. Greedy Williams is an AWFUL tackler, and isn't a starting a corner. Mitchel had a great year last year before his injury, and Mitchell is a much better tackler, and much better in run support...he is a very very very slight downgrade in pass coverage, but Mitchell is the overall better CB than Williams at this stage by quite a margin. Williams is a guy in as year or so, once he becomes a batter tackler, can maybe take that spot. Right now Mitchell should be the #2 corner. He is the better player.

Agreed on all counts

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
well he certainly avoided stupid tackling on sunday...by not tackling.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
...makes sense. Gregg was the one who advocated for him to be drafted.

I am a little worried he said "hopefully" though...

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

There is a ton of talk about the officiating and about the OL.

There is very little talk about Baker's three interceptions and holding the ball too long, as well as a change in scheme where we are not helping the OL w/TEs and RBs and plays that take longer to develop.

Priorities. LOL

/endthread

Freddy came out last season knowing he had to get the ball out quick. He made it appear that he understood how to cater to a 'weak' oline, and a rookie QB, by creating quick decision plays.

I didn't see a lot of that on Sunday. I also didn't see enough contribution from Nick Chubb. He got 17 carries, which seems like plenty on paper, but he was so effective (4.4 ypc), I think he should have gotten more.

Its too premature to make any hard calls on saying this or that needs to change on offense, but I hope the play calling trends on the side of what we saw last season.

Agreed. I came away thinking that this game was a poor display of organizational management across the board. They knew they were weak at OL and they didn't accommodate. Last year, after Hugh got the boot, they were so good at quick out play action. I really thought that was a major key to the turn-around and big part of the decision to retain Kitchens; adapting effectively to the teams strengths and weakness. But apart from the first drive it looked like Hugh's slow develop offense on Sunday. Add to that the penalties, the loss of composure, the "watch"... it adds up to a team that wasn't effectively managed. More than anyone Kitchens has got to turn it around.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

I agree with all of this and at the same time find it very confusing. I agree with the poster who said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". We used max protection on long pass plays last year to give the OL some help blocking. We used the run game to help slow up the pass rush. Short passes to back off opposing D's or we would burn them. All basic, but effective concepts that just seemed to be thrown to the wayside in the Titans game.

While you must use your strengths in making a game plan, you must also find ways to minimize your weaknesses. It seems we managed to do that under Freddie last year but I certainly didn't see that same approach against the Titans.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Baker was holding the ball way too long trying to make the big play early in the game. I also feel they abandon the run way too early, you beat a good pass rush by running the ball and forcing the defense to change.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Baker was holding the ball way too long trying to make the big play early in the game. I also feel they abandon the run way too early, you beat a good pass rush by running the ball and forcing the defense to change.

This ^^^

Then...we doubled down as things got away from us. Freddie was asked if he thought they abandoned the run too quickly...he said no. I think he DID. Hopefully we learn from that.

Legend
Legend
You can't abandon the run too early if you never really tried to run it in the first place.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, from the get go Monday it’d be nice to really commit to Chubb and use some bigger formations .. especially if Williams and Mosely are dinged up

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

Is it just me or did Baker look uncharacteristically skittish fairly early in the game? I know the OL wasn't great down the stretch but I think it was pretty early in game when I first got that impression.

-Jack Burton

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Really? More mouthing off?

Seems like the inmates are running the asylum.

No one should be mouthing off after last week.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Maybe I missed it, but it sounds to me like he is saying his tackling sucked and he hopes to avoid that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I thought Gregg was critical of his tackling last year and let the media know it. I thought that's what he was referring to.

But I could be wrong on that.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I thought Gregg was critical of his tackling last year and let the media know it. I thought that's what he was referring to.

But I could be wrong on that.

No, I'm pretty sure you are correct.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you are correct, but I don't think he was mouthing off. I just think he was trying to be humorous. Lighthearted humor. I don't think it was meant to be insulting or anything close to that.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I hope you're right.

The team doesn't need anymore negative exposure right now.

Legend
Legend
Taking an objective "stats only" look at things in order to remove emotion from things, I noticed something interesting - we played each other pretty even, except in a handful of important categories.

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2019090801/2019/REG1/titans@browns?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2019090801

Total/Passing/Rushing Yards: all about dead even.
Yards per Play and Sacks Given: just about the same. While it felt like Baker was getting killed every other play, we gave up 5 sacks. They gave up 4.
Time of Possession: almost perfectly equal.

Now, here's the differences:

3rd Down Efficiency
Turnovers
Penalties (as is much talked over already)

All three of those were DRAMATICALLY in their favor.
As depressing, demoralizing, and dejecting that game was, I did not expect to see so much of it as even as it was, and for only three things to really be the difference was a little surprising.

Of course, there are a myriad of details under each of those three things (like the Oline Hokey Pokey)... in the end, for as much of an unholy beat down as it was, it was a LOT closer than we think. In fact, it was close enough that just a few things tipped the balance WAY in their favor.

The loss hurts, but it still only counts as one loss and it isn't as horrible as it was to experience it. It is a VERY simply corrected thing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Maybe I missed it, but it sounds to me like he is saying his tackling sucked and he hopes to avoid that.

to be critical of ones tackling would imply you actually tackle...Ward didn't sunday

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
We need to make Gillan a 2 way player ...... Punting and defense. We know he can tackle. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
This actually crossed my mind during the game: I expect him to run a fake punt at some point this season. He’s a good athlete and w/his rugby background it may work
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
We need to make Gillan a 2 way player ...... Punting and defense. We know he can tackle. wink

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Vrabel is a dirty coach (and player). He was celebrating Robinsons ejection. He knew that was their game plan to get into the heads of our players.

It was all primed with D. Walker before the game. He also inticed MG to take a swing at him.

I hope to God that we get to see them in the playoffs.

We,and the team,will have that opportunity,as I believe all playoff games are televised.
The Titans look like a playoff team.The Browns look like 11 shiny turds running around.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'm still surprised there isn't a penalty count thread...

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Titans 43 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard