Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1772857 06/30/20 08:11 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

For a good portion of my life the four seasons of a year where always tied to sports.

It is a bit disorientating to all of sudden be without athletic competition. I have come to realize it is lousy not having sports.

I mean really -crap. I should be enjoying a a game right now. Makes me feel like Lewis Black.

This is nothing about COVID 19. Not about should the games play.

I wanted opening day. We are missing all kinds of cool things.

What do sports mean to you? Makes no difference if you played, coached, or just always loved it. Grandparents, Mom, Dad, brother, sister and extended family somebody is doing something.

All the great times around a ballpark from Little League on up.

Playing pick up tackle football in the winter on some kind of field.

Getting a bunch of guys together and play three on three on some court.

Feels like a wasteland without some kind of competition. I know some stuff is happening. But damn. I am talking prime time sports.

Makes me wonder what could have happened "IF".

bonefish #1772863 06/30/20 08:27 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice thread topic. The parameters are a bit oblique, but I'll give it a shot by trying to divide it into two segments.

1. I always loved playing sports. Loved the competition. I played all three major sports in high school. RB in football. PG in basketball. SS and P in baseball. Played some college football before concussions ended that dream. I also did some boxing when I was in California. Fastest hands any white man has ever possessed. I loved the one-on-one aspect of boxing. I even loved the danger of it.

I am a very competitive dude. I try and win at everything. My brother and I would push each either other to the limits. Even today, if we are together and tossing a ball back and forth, it turns into a competition. And while I love competition, I always respected the sport. Never, ever cheat. Play it honestly.

Team sports taught me a lot of valuable lessons. The team was bigger than me. Self-sacrifice was invaluable. Accountability, respect, work-ethic, dedication, resolve, perseverance, integrity, discipline, etc all became staples of my life and what I tried to instill in others. Sadly, I see a lot of those character traits drifting away like grains of sand in the wind. Now, it's about "what can you do for ME?"

2. The second part is about viewing sports. I mentioned this the other day, but I watch sports because I love the game and because I don't want to hear all the BS opinions of righteous folks who demand I listen to them. I stopped watching baseball because of all the emphasis on steroids and the labor issues. I don't want to hear about that when I watch baseball. I want to watch the game. Similarly, when I watch football or basketball, I don't want to have the focus on social justice from a bunch of guys who make more money in one year than most do in a lifetime. I want to watch "the game," rather than be told by some millionaire what I need to believe. I live in a college town and you have no idea how many people have abandoned professional sports altogether. I haven't, but I am sick of being preached to when I just want to be entertained. I am perfectly capable of doing my own research on any political and social issues. I don't need some millionaire telling me what I need to think.

bonefish #1772871 06/30/20 09:02 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Sports are the thing that kind of gives me a break from horrible things going on in my life, or in the news. So the double whammy with covid was that i couldn't play or watch sports at all. I dealt with it. I took no time off of work, and just powered through it.

I have been back on the ice but it isn't the same. You can't use full teams, the skates tend to be worn out after about 20 minutes because you don't really rest. It's not much competition. Better than nothing but I miss a scoreboard and the pressure of it.

Things will get back to normal, I just think it will take much longer than we think. I don't understand the nba and nhl trying to salvage the seasons. I'd be more worried about starting next year's seasons above anything.

bonefish #1772894 07/01/20 06:10 AM
Legend
Legend
It’s sucked not having sports to watch on tv ... i always enjoy looking forward to the “big game” that night or weekend. After a long day or week, kind of escaping to something competitive and entertaining.

Ive also missed playing , mostly pickup basketball. I typically play 2-3 times a week and it’s a good outlet .. not sure when that will realistically get back to normal now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #1772917 07/01/20 09:45 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
This fall, without football, I’ll be ‘competing’ with the Deschutes River to see if I can remove multiple steelhead from it’s waters.

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1772918 07/01/20 09:59 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I'm not big on much other than football and hockey.

I'll watch some baseball and basketball playoffs, but seldom watch the regular season games unless I'm at a bar watching with friends.

That said, it's bad enough there's no sports to really fill the airwaves right now, add to it there is a lack of programming in general. So I have spent more of my time working in the yard, playing my guitars/drums, and taking naps. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
bonefish #1772919 07/01/20 10:00 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
You have to look around. This morning I watched a Korean league baseball game. Very competitive and entertaining. I'd say the players are on par with AAA players here. That is good baseball. It wasn't like watching a couple of crappy high school teams play.

I am not a big NASCAR fan, but we are starting to get races. Golf is heading back to the links.

Still no fans in the stands, and it will probably remain that way for a good while.

I think we will get some baseball(MLB) fairly soon. Players are generally distanced.

I am at the age there isn't any playing anymore except I still swing the clubs. New rules there, only 1 person per cart, 12 minutes rather than 7 between tee times to help prevent groups backing up on tee boxes. 1 per cart speeds things up as well. No more driving to 2 balls. I'd almost like to see that remain, though courses would pretty much have to double their fleet.

As for football, I am not sure if they are going to play or not. I received a survey from the Browns. I filled it out early this morning. Basically they were fishing on what to do with season tickets if they had to limit attendance. Would I sit in another section of equal value? If they had to limit my games, rather than get my 2 tickets to a game, would I take 4 or 6? Hell no, I don't want that. I live 600 miles away. I have a hard enough time with my 2 tickets let alone 6 tickets to a game.

I see where some teams are allowing season ticket holders to opt out...take a credit for next season or take a refund. I expect the Browns and all teams will follow that lead.

I don't want to lose my standing as a season ticket, PSL holder, but I am not going to games this season. I will take a credit if that is the only option, but I think I would rather take a refund. In years past, a credit would be fine, but I have a little age on me. Every year I live, I am 1 year closer to not having a next year for normal reasons, not some accident while cleaning gutters or something.

What I will do if they play games is throw the Hag in the trunk, drive up because that is what I have done for a long time. Eat at a few restaurants we like, and watch from the hotel or sports bar if they run the place the right way. Got to have some feeling of normal.

Sorry for the rant

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1774480 07/08/20 11:43 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Boooo!

AP Sports
@AP_Sports
The Ryder Cup in Wisconsin has been postponed a year, to Sept. 24-26, 2021, because of the coronavirus pandemic.

It’s the second time in the last two decades the Ryder Cup has been pushed back.

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1280884611753676800

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Competition

Link Copied to Clipboard