Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pdawg #1805499 10/13/20 07:13 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Unlucky pick for Allen. Great throw by Tannehill to Brown for the TD. Hard to believe Brown and Metacalf both played for Ole Miss.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We all knew it when he was coming out of college, but Josh Allen's arm is incredible. The amount of velocity he gets on the ball while being off of his platform is incredible.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
We all knew it when he was coming out of college, but Josh Allen's arm is incredible. The amount of velocity he gets on the ball while being off of his platform is incredible.

Yeah, physically he's about as good at it gets. The question was mentally, which he seems to be proving himself as time goes on. Buffalo has done a good job of helping him develop.

cle23 #1805519 10/13/20 08:23 PM
Legend
Legend
These two teams seem to being slinging lots of big plays and not playing very good defense, which is what I thought their strengths were supposed to be.

Also, that was a really bad PI call on Josh Norman just now; that ball was uncatchable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Pdawg #1805528 10/13/20 09:03 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Horrible decision by Allen. Sheesh!

Pdawg #1805530 10/13/20 09:13 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Watching the Buf/Ten game. After 2 weeks of closed facility, the Titans have had minimal training time.

Allen throws a sideline pass intercepted by Butler. Beasley almost tackles him about midfield, but in an amazingly athletic move Butler avoids the tackle. The Bills relax cause it looked like he was down, and he bursts past them all with 2 blockers toward the end zone.

And he ran out of gas. It slowed him down and he was caught from behind so no pick-6.

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 10/13/20 09:14 PM. Reason: correct mistake

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Pdawg #1805534 10/13/20 09:38 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, Buffalo looks like the team that hasn't been playing. So many dumb mistakes.

R
Legend
Legend
R
The Browns and Titans are carbon copies of each other.

Rishuz #1805538 10/13/20 10:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Bills got killed...

<><

#gmstrong
Rishuz #1805565 10/14/20 08:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
The Browns and Titans are carbon copies of each other.

I was thinking very much the same thing. The offenses looked a lot alike at times.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

DAK I thought he was good but yet over rated due to stats.

Felt very bad for the kid on the injury. His surgery was said to go very well. Hope he makes it back.

Speaking of making it back. Ted Bridgewater is amazing and so happy for him as he is back for his terrible injury... Good for that young man!

Haven't seen the kid Herbert play...but I know he has all the tools. Size, mobility and an excellent arm.

Allen was being touted as a potential G.O.A.T. these sport journalist just get over excited over somebody who in a few games had amazing stats and success. Then the Bills faced an excellent Defense and he came down to earth. Is he the real deal, yes he was raw and now is starting to become a more refined QB, also remember he has been blessed by being in the same system for his entire 4 years.

Its funny for 5+ years we were told the running game was dead to the NFL as a factor...now it seems to be the most important factor to have a productive Air Game.

Still Football is football Pee Wee to the NFL.
The winning formula is the same all over.

Awesome D and a dominant Run Game and you got a winning team!

jmho...we are a few Great Safeties away from being a #1 Defense.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1805586 10/14/20 09:23 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think Allen played himself out of the MVP talk last night. He made so many terrible decisions. He struggled reading coverages and forced way too many throws. He is a tremendous physical specimen and he has improved a ton, but he still has holes in his game.

Pdawg #1805710 10/14/20 07:33 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
LOL

Pdawg #1805955 10/15/20 06:17 PM
Legend
Legend

Watched a little of the Bills and also the Ravens.

Lamar is not having his way this year like last.

Allen has had some big number games. He is a physical specimen. He can run and his arm is sick.

It is interesting though that some of the issues both had in college are far from fully fixed.

Allen still makes some bone head decisions.

And Lamar is not all that accurate.

So important for quarterbacks to be with the right fit for what they do well.

The quarterback position is extremely hard to be good at all times. We can all see tape and say "why didn't he do this or that?"

When things happen at blurring speed.

Even the very best can look very ordinary at times.

Pdawg #1805990 10/15/20 09:42 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Anyone else notice long weird editing in tonight’s game?
Are the kickoffs not being aired live? They show the kickoff... then seconds later they show the first play of the next drive. No time in between for players coming on and off the field, etc.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
What? Tonight's game was postponed. I think you are watching a replay.

A
Legend
Legend
A
There's a game tonight?

V
Legend
Legend
V
No. I think he is watching a replay of the KC/LV game on NFL Network. LOL

Legend
Legend
Well .... I flipped the game on earlier and thought, "Man, didn't these 2 teams just play each other?" rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

I play Daily Fantasy Football and went to enter a contest at lunchtime only to discover there is no game tonight.

The scheduled game was KC/Buffalo, but the Titans/Buffalo game was rescheduled for Tuesday, just two days ago. Thus, they had to move the KC/Buffalo game to a later date. I think it's Sunday, but I'm not sure.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
There's a game tonight?

Oh crap! Lol
I didn’t watch any other games this past Sunday.
Totally missed that this game wasn’t live until a bit ago.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I turned into NFL Network as well, looking for the Thursday Night game. Tuned in late, and the first thing I wondered was how could there be that much sunlight in KC at that time? Then I noticed how quick they lined up sometimes. Then it hit me that these teams just played each other.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
I turned into NFL Network as well, looking for the Thursday Night game. Tuned in late, and the first thing I wondered was how could there be that much sunlight in KC at that time? Then I noticed how quick they lined up sometimes. Then it hit me that these teams just played each other.

The sun still shining as the game approached halftime is what really clued me in.
I’ll admit I was a little slow on the uptake yesterday. Lol

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1806086 10/16/20 10:42 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Watched a little of the Bills and also the Ravens.

Lamar is not having his way this year like last.

Allen has had some big number games. He is a physical specimen. He can run and his arm is sick.

It is interesting though that some of the issues both had in college are far from fully fixed.

Allen still makes some bone head decisions.

And Lamar is not all that accurate.

So important for quarterbacks to be with the right fit for what they do well.

The quarterback position is extremely hard to be good at all times. We can all see tape and say "why didn't he do this or that?"

When things happen at blurring speed.

Even the very best can look very ordinary at times.

It's interesting you bring this up. I think a few of the younger quarterbacks are going through some challenges right now in overcoming designed schemes.

Mahomes: The Patriots created a designed scheme against him which has been called a Cover 5, which was very effective. They didn't send a ton of pressure at him either, which kept him "honest" so to speak in reading coverage. The Raiders followed suit, and Mahomes struggled again. I'm sure with Reid's tutelage and his own talent that he will overcome this, but it is a challenging transition for him.

Jackson: I actually think the Bengals drew up a great defensive scheme against the Ravens. Their offense against the Ravens, on the other hand, was quite possibly the worst called game I recall seeing so far this season. I'm being harsh, but I feel like the plays that were called were almost the worst plays you could call considering the Bengals offense and the type of defense the Ravens have. I digress.

The Bengals defense did a great job of scheming against the option. They had gap assignments that shifted based upon what the defensive end being read decides to do, and they executed it well.

On the back end, they did a good job of setting up their safeties to take away the big play down the middle of the field, where Jackson's arm is most dangerous. He ended up having a very pedestrian day, to say the least. I know he was not feeling great, too. He has shown his ability to bounce back and learn, as well, so I think he will also overcome this, but I hope that other teams implement a scheme in line with what the Bengals did.

Allen: I think the Titans were the first team to "respect" Allen. He had shown gradual improvement from his time as a rookie (stability...who would have guessed!), and was having a very good year going into this game. I think other teams had still treated him as a young, error-prone QB though, and they delivered a lot of pressure. In the Titans game, though, the defense only blitzed 3 times. They forced him to be patient and go through his reads, and we all saw what happened. I feel like he will struggle more than the other two to overcome this.

JMHO

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not including Mahomes in this because I think he is football smart. I think his poor mechanics cost him at times. He has so much arm talent that he gets into bad habits. Drifting, throwing off balance, etc.

What I do want to get into is the draft class that included Baker, Darnold, Allen, and Jackson. I'm not including Rosen because he hasn't done squat is on the PS in Tampa Bay.

I was thinking about this recently, but it seems to me that all four of those qbs struggle w/the nuances of the game. The mental part of the game. The pre and post-snap reads.

Orlovsky had a video the other day about how Jackson is making poor pre-snap reads. It pointed out that the defense sometimes sends more guys than your OL can block. He highlighted the RT having to pick up a blitzer and that the Edge rusher was Lamar's responsibility and he should have recognized it pre-snap and thrown a hot route to that area. The TE was open, but Lamar never even looked that way.

I have been very vocal about how Baker struggles w/his post-snap reads and he isn't very good right now at pre-snap reads. I won't add anything else here.

We remember Darnold saying he was seeing ghosts. That means he wasn't reading post-snap coverages. He make some confounding decisions w/the football.

Allen forces a lot of throws into tight windows. He might get away w/them because of his arm, but he throws some dumb picks and even is careless w/the ball in his hands at times.

I think all of those guys are lacking in football intelligence and that's a lot to overcome.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That makes a lot of sense to me. It's interesting to see a lot of these young QBs see a shift in defensive schemes that are gradually depriving them of their crutches. The league is so saturated with QBs in the 1-4 years of starting experience that it will be interesting to see how this sink-or-swim transition plays out over the next couple seasons.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
And look at the list from the last five drafts, besides those mentioned...

Trubisky
Watson
Goff
Wentz
Lynch
Winston
Mariota
Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

Some were straight busts, others have looked great at times and then shown great weaknesses. Although there are a lot of different reasons why, the bottom line is - playing QB is very challenging.

I feel like football has become a lot more of a chess match between offensive and defensive game schemes. There is a way to beat every QB, with the better ones it's just harder to find the formula. With the young ones, every learning curve is different. Look at the league and the amount of QBs playing into their late thirties, they can still be beat, but they've reached the point of "been there, seen that" on a week to week basis.

Baker trotted out as a "one trick pony" in 2018, by the first game of 2019, defensive coordinators said "I got your number". 2019 was a wasted year: it exposed Baker's weaknesses, it allowed him to solidify some bad habits, it set him back and ruined the learning curve. The best thing we can do is exactly what we have -- put together a strong ground attack and make him a "game manager".

It's funny to me that the knocks on people like Mahommes and Allen were "too raw, will take too much time", yet both of them have elite arms. To me, that is still the biggest key in drafting because it's never something you can teach. From there it's mostly a matter of putting them in a situation to succeed... And then waiting and adjusting, as the learning curve rears its ugly head.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
What? Tonight's game was postponed. I think you are watching a replay.

rofl took me a while before figuring that one out. When Crosby made that move - being ridden in back of pocket by RT then he put his foot down and broke back to the right to get an unsuspecting Mahomes...I was like....wait a minute I've see that move before...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 32 Colts 23 Other games

Link Copied to Clipboard