Print Thread
#1823778 12/07/20 03:15 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Very happy with our Browns team...from coaches to players executing our game plans.

I didn't really like our prevent Defense/O but understood it was the best way to win after the big lead we accumulated. Worst case scenario happened except for a successful onside kick.

Baker: validated all my beliefs that he was OUR FRANCHISE QB and talk about getting another just ridiculous.

His accuracy was spot on. Hit all passes all ranges right on the money.

His TD Fade to Higgins was as good a throw as anyone can make.

Also I might add all these Mensa's talking about him holding onto the ball too long and not seeing the field and causing them to question his worth to us. Well under the accusations from them to me that I'm making excuses. I have over and over stated that this is his 4th HC, 4th OC and 3rd completely different Playbook in 2.5 years as an NFL QB. He has to get comfortable with this system and execute plays.

The biggest difference from this game and remember our early games versus good defenses like Ravens and Steelers is how comfortable Baker was. His decision making was excellent and he made those decisions quickly - why? Well because he is getting use to the System and how it works. So he can execute it easier. He is one of the most accurate Passers around and his arm is very strong. He is taking care of the ball and since an early INT vs. Raiders he has not thrown one since.

Shame DP-Jones dropped that slant pass in our first drive that surely would have been a TD making it 5 for Baker on the day still he had 4 TDs and a rating of around 145 for the game. About as good as it gets!

Our run game was just enough as the Titans were making a point on stopping it as we did for there run game.

But the tandem of Chubb and Hunt was excellent and we were able to pass with success also. The averages went down from our lost 4-5 drives where everyone knew we were running to extend the clock and cut out time for the Titans to make 4 scores.

Chubb again has amazing vision and quick explosion into slivers of day light. Where as Hunt is like a Kami Kazi Dive bomber just running with reckless abandon. Such a contrast from the two but both so so effective.

OL was excellent as they make me proud as I have an affection to OL play. There Pass Pro is solid but more so their unity in moving pockets and zone read run plays are getting better and better with each game. Excellent even the rookie is becoming so good at LT. Hope these guys stay together for a while.

Defense.
Stupid announcers they have no clue about the Browns and our players. Garrett was definitely weak from his Covid battle and it showed he was going through the motions for most of the game. 3-4 times he did turn it on. One of which was the Sack and attempt to strip the ball from Tannehill.

In that last drive from the Titans. I was so ANGRY flamingmad at the stupid refs. Garrett turned it on and was being GRAPPLED around the head by his OT but not only that the guy had a hold of Garretts FACE MASK not a glancing hold and let go....he had a solid hold of the face Mask and turning Garretts head. Not only was there not a hold call but not even a flag for the flagrant foul against Garrett. And they have to be a blind person not to have seen it. They saw it and CHOSE TO IGNORE IT... If of course cost us that last TD they made it would have been over. But the chance of us losing was almost impossible but still that is no reason to ignore obvious violations. It makes me still angry.

Sendejo actually had his best day as a Brown. He made some tackles and even covered a player or two. Mack Wilson laid on some hits at LB. Goodson covered some plays. And the DL covered for Garrett who just didn't have enough gas to play but he did so. Larry O, Sheldon R and Vernon were solid throughout.

That was a beautiful 75 yard pass play bang zoom Baker to DP-Jones great out and up by DPJ just burnt the defender and a perfect pass by Baker.

Well I hope this Shuts up our detractors about we cannot beat winning teams. Early games vs. Steelers and Ravens and a NO RUN game vs the Raiders.

We got an O that can score on anyone and now that Baker is making quick decisions and the correct ones. Look out NFL!

Playoffs Baby!

What did you all see.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I saw a Tenn D that was downright putrid, at times. I was under the impression that they had a solid, if unspectacular, defensive unit. Did they lose key guys on that side this past offseason?

I don't say that to diminish what our team did... or even as context. Just something that I was noticing throughout the game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
When it counted they played Great holding the All Mighty Henry to nothing.

Yes, I too was dissatisfied with the PREVENT Defense giving up plays in front of them (except for the first drive of the 2nd half) but after that one we went prevent giving up 10 yard passes. It was more a Decision by the coaches rather than poor play. The first half our Defense more than held their own and I thought they played great considering the lack of talent outside of our DL.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw fun cool

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I never heard Vernon's name mentioned and to this point he seems useless.

Did he even play?

Geez.....

Legend
Legend
He played every defensive snap.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I never heard Vernon's name mentioned and to this point he seems useless.

Did he even play?

Geez.....

Yes, he played. He had played literally every snap yesterday and all but 2 last week. He was the top graded Browns defender last game and put up a solid 67.9 yesterday. He also got held all game long...plus, got robbed of a game ending sack last week against Jax and Booger's crew.

Lots of fans don't like him, but he has now stayed healthy (knock on wood) and been huge here the last month or so. He ranks 25th amongst edges per PFF for the year, but he is steadily climbing and playing some good football. Playing almost every snap at edge is damn near a Herculean feat in the NFL, especially when offenses go into comeback mode. We would be in deep doo doo without OV, and here's to hoping he stays healthy along with Clayborn, Gustin and of course Myles down the stretch.

Hats off to S. Rich yesterday too. He kicked arse.

"Does Howdy Doody got Wooden balls, man?"
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
LOL....this was probably posted elsewhere but threw it in here.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1335696785201897474

Can someone tell me how to embed?

Last edited by Riffer X; 12/07/20 07:50 PM.

Legend
Legend

If you hit reply you will see what appears to be a computer screen under the icons. Click on it and a drop down menu comes up. Just click on the format and copy and paste.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Thanks much. I prolly should have figured that out on my own. Liking this board, seems like some pretty solid, old school fans who appreciate what is going on now. The negativity towards this team almost everywhere is just unbearable for me anymore.

Not a pollyanna, but appreciate good fans who don't just biatch about every thing and have knowledge of the game.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: eotab
Very happy with our Browns team...from coaches to players executing our game plans.

I didn't really like our prevent Defense/O but understood it was the best way to win after the big lead we accumulated. Worst case scenario happened except for a successful onside kick.

Baker: validated all my beliefs that he was OUR FRANCHISE QB and talk about getting another just ridiculous.

His accuracy was spot on. Hit all passes all ranges right on the money.

His TD Fade to Higgins was as good a throw as anyone can make.

Also I might add all these Mensa's talking about him holding onto the ball too long and not seeing the field and causing them to question his worth to us. Well under the accusations from them to me that I'm making excuses. I have over and over stated that this is his 4th HC, 4th OC and 3rd completely different Playbook in 2.5 years as an NFL QB. He has to get comfortable with this system and execute plays.

The biggest difference from this game and remember our early games versus good defenses like Ravens and Steelers is how comfortable Baker was. His decision making was excellent and he made those decisions quickly - why? Well because he is getting use to the System and how it works. So he can execute it easier. He is one of the most accurate Passers around and his arm is very strong. He is taking care of the ball and since an early INT vs. Raiders he has not thrown one since.

Shame DP-Jones dropped that slant pass in our first drive that surely would have been a TD making it 5 for Baker on the day still he had 4 TDs and a rating of around 145 for the game. About as good as it gets!

Our run game was just enough as the Titans were making a point on stopping it as we did for there run game.

But the tandem of Chubb and Hunt was excellent and we were able to pass with success also. The averages went down from our lost 4-5 drives where everyone knew we were running to extend the clock and cut out time for the Titans to make 4 scores.

Chubb again has amazing vision and quick explosion into slivers of day light. Where as Hunt is like a Kami Kazi Dive bomber just running with reckless abandon. Such a contrast from the two but both so so effective.

OL was excellent as they make me proud as I have an affection to OL play. There Pass Pro is solid but more so their unity in moving pockets and zone read run plays are getting better and better with each game. Excellent even the rookie is becoming so good at LT. Hope these guys stay together for a while.

Defense.
Stupid announcers they have no clue about the Browns and our players. Garrett was definitely weak from his Covid battle and it showed he was going through the motions for most of the game. 3-4 times he did turn it on. One of which was the Sack and attempt to strip the ball from Tannehill.

In that last drive from the Titans. I was so ANGRY flamingmad at the stupid refs. Garrett turned it on and was being GRAPPLED around the head by his OT but not only that the guy had a hold of Garretts FACE MASK not a glancing hold and let go....he had a solid hold of the face Mask and turning Garretts head. Not only was there not a hold call but not even a flag for the flagrant foul against Garrett. And they have to be a blind person not to have seen it. They saw it and CHOSE TO IGNORE IT... If of course cost us that last TD they made it would have been over. But the chance of us losing was almost impossible but still that is no reason to ignore obvious violations. It makes me still angry.

Sendejo actually had his best day as a Brown. He made some tackles and even covered a player or two. Mack Wilson laid on some hits at LB. Goodson covered some plays. And the DL covered for Garrett who just didn't have enough gas to play but he did so. Larry O, Sheldon R and Vernon were solid throughout.

That was a beautiful 75 yard pass play bang zoom Baker to DP-Jones great out and up by DPJ just burnt the defender and a perfect pass by Baker.

Well I hope this Shuts up our detractors about we cannot beat winning teams. Early games vs. Steelers and Ravens and a NO RUN game vs the Raiders.

We got an O that can score on anyone and now that Baker is making quick decisions and the correct ones. Look out NFL!

Playoffs Baby!

What did you all see.

Basically the same as you. Great post!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Riffer X
Thanks much. I prolly should have figured that out on my own. Liking this board, seems like some pretty solid, old school fans who appreciate what is going on now. The negativity towards this team almost everywhere is just unbearable for me anymore.

Appearances can be deceptive I guess. smile

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: Riffer X

Appearances can be deceptive I guess. smile

Glass half full for now

L
Legend
Legend
L
Sheldon Richardson had a great game, his forced fumble and subsequent Baker TD throw helped build the lead.

Myles’ sack: he came around the corner like a runaway locomotive. I had my eye on him and it seemed like MG was hell-bent on taking down the QB.

Titans went hurry-up at the start of the second half, and it was very effective. Makes you wonder why more teams don’t do that earlier in a game.

And oh yeah... 9-3!!!!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Sheldon Richardson had a great game, his forced fumble and subsequent Baker TD throw helped build the lead.

Myles’ sack: he came around the corner like a runaway locomotive. I had my eye on him and it seemed like MG was hell-bent on taking down the QB.

Titans went hurry-up at the start of the second half, and it was very effective. Makes you wonder why more teams don’t do that earlier in a game.

And oh yeah... 9-3!!!!

There are multiple problems with playing hurry up for long periods at a time.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

If you hit reply you will see what appears to be a computer screen under the icons. Click on it and a drop down menu comes up. Just click on the format and copy and paste.

Yep that was the play that infuriated me! Thanks

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I saw the refs swallow their whistles all day on whomever was guarding Garrett. Imagine if they threw a couple flags at that...then TN would have to constantly double-team MG...that BS changed the game.

I saw two BS holding calls (late in the game) on Hooper that I replayed several times looking for something...anything...that resembled a hold. Even if the Hooper holds were legit...how did they "catch" those and miss what MG - and Vernon - went through the entire game?

I saw Baker silence a lot of haters.

I saw Higgins earn a nice contract.

I saw Chubb and Hunt be just fantastic and devastating.

I noticed Mack Wilson in a good way...and Ogunjobi.

Sheldon Richardson is a beast.

I saw our Oline continue to impress and make me wonder just how good they can be.

I saw our entire defense likely over-achieving most of the day. What I mean is that they played better than the talent that is staying-stuck on the field...not to be confused with the D playing well overall. Imagine if Billings didn't opt out.

I saw the standings say 9-3 next to our Browns' name.

Legend
Legend

It was quite a game. In some ways it was two different games. The first half and then the second half.

Starting with play concept and design. We are an evolving offense. Every week we change what we do out of certain looks. We show something one week and run the play. Show it again and the play changes. We use lots of looks and movement. Very hard to zero in what we will run.

Baker is clearly in control and is confident in how to run the game. For a player that has come from a college spread offense and never being under center. He has come a long way in play action fakes. He is handling the ball well. On the Lamm td. I bought the fake. Thought Chubb scored over the top. Credit AVP.

Callahan has done wonders with OL. The OL unit is playing lights out. Pass protection has allowed Baker a luxury in the pocket. He has grown to trust the protection. He is now seeing the field better and making good decisions. He is doing little things like moving his eyes to move defenders. Pump fakes and coming back to guys.

That all comes with confidence in the OL.

Woods did a great job of game planning for the Titans. The first half was off the charts. We played a 5x3 and 4x4 umbrella defense. Made to stop Henry. And we did.

In the second half our weakness got exposed. We need Ward. His coverage ability is important. Harrison missing is another problem. Harrison had worked his way into this defense and was playing well. He has length and speed.
We gave up huge chunk plays in the second half.

Turnovers on defense is about coaching and effort. It is not a one game fluke. We take the ball away and have done it all year. Mitchell's strip at the goal line just didn't go our way. Richardson's strip on Henry. That is how you do it. Henry does not fumble. Great effort by Sheldon. I could tell early that Myles had to pace himself. Hands on hips sucking air. He will be better each week.

Higgins. Not sure how he gets so wide open. Seems like Odell is covered like a blanket. And Higgins is running free. Odell is feared for his quickness and speed. Higgins is not. But he runs great patterns and has a knack for finding space in zones. No question that he and Baker have chemistry.

The route that DPJ ran on the 75 yard TD was a thing of beauty. He totally sold the out route and the db bit hook line and sinker. Baker dropped it in place.

I can not remember a half like that and I'm old.

The team has improved weekly. Handled adversity. Lot of key guys missing.

Major credit to Kevin and the whole staff.

It is thrilling to be relevant in December. And not be looking at the draft.

I take no team for granted. the Jets had LV beat.

But we are playing great ball an will get some guys back. Our offense is a tough chore for any team to handle. We are diverse in run and pass. And we can execute because our base is the offensive line.

Exciting times

Legend
Legend
The prevent defense looked like a Rob Ryan defense. tongue. Mayfield needs to take a lot better care of the football moving forward. But yeah the door is cracked open with a Pittsburgh loss now. Go Brownies.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
The prevent defense looked like a Rob Ryan defense. tongue. Mayfield needs to take a lot better care of the football moving forward. But yeah the door is cracked open with a Pittsburgh loss now. Go Brownies.

I'm like huh, how much better can he take care of the ball, he is currently the most snaps without an INT in the NFL. Then I remembered he just got a fumble on the last nano second of that QB sneak. bastard kid...lol laugh

Yep, I'm thinking who can the Steelers play and lose They got the tie breaker on us. With divisional play. Even if we beat them on the last day. Head to head we are even then I think it goes to Divisonal record or possibly Conference record.

Yeah the Prevent, its just not fair to our Defense as they put in a great effort and with the prevent D shows that they just squeaked by. And not fair to the RBs as they go and put 10 in the box with all knowing we are going to run the ball to take time off the clock. I know the win was almost guaranteed if we played prevent but I would much rather have us go all out and let Baker throw play action and not only get some first downs but open it up for the RBs!

Won't complain as long as we continue to WIN!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Lamm TD talk about fun!

What I liked about that play was the Chubb at FB and Hunt at RB in I formation! I would like to see more of that!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Lamm TD talk about fun!

What I liked about that play was the Chubb at FB and Hunt at RB in I formation! I would like to see more of that!

What I love about that play is that it wasn't a trick play.

Think about it:

-If Baker handed it to Chubb, Chubb would have scored
-If Baker fakes the handoff to Chubb, turns, and immediately hits Hunt... Kareem has the speed to get to the pylon
-Even if Baker holds it a second longer, instead of releasing if Lamm blocks that defender, Hunt still scores.

So many possibilities!

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
A
Legend
Legend
A
The best, BEST part of that was - and I don't know if I read it on here or somewhere else - Stefanski had subbed in him several times on that drive as a tackle eligible. And all he did was block.

That's called setting the d up. Top level coaching in my opinion. Instead of "Okay, go in as a tackle eligible and run a route." No, it was several plays as an eligible rec, thereby lowering the D's level of 'we have to cover this guy'.

Legend
Legend
Yep. And we've seen several instances of "chess over checkers" with Coach Ski this year. It's a pleasant and welcome surprise.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw Baker Mayfield pickup the Browns flag that has been rolling in the dirt for decades and brush it off as he trotted to the middle of the field with his teammates and coaches in tow at Nissan Stadium. I watched with the rest of country as he planted that flag in the middle of the field and declared, we are back.

That is what the hell I saw.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
The best, BEST part of that was - and I don't know if I read it on here or somewhere else - Stefanski had subbed in him several times on that drive as a tackle eligible. And all he did was block.

That's called setting the d up. Top level coaching in my opinion. Instead of "Okay, go in as a tackle eligible and run a route." No, it was several plays as an eligible rec, thereby lowering the D's level of 'we have to cover this guy'.

And best of all.... it's all now on film, and every D we face has to prepare for it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Hope to see that as our 2 point conversion look for the reasons you mentioned!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

Dude's analysis is super lovely... goes into some of the small things baker is doing to evolve his game.

Legend
Legend
Lamm TD talk about fun!

Especially in short yardage. As much as I like our FB, I think the distraction of having Hunt and Chubb both in the backfield is a greater benefit than the extra blocker getting clogged up in the hole. If the defenders spend just an extra half second to figure out which one is getting the ball, that should be enough to get a yard.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just run the wishbone and let their defense sort it out .. lol

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Titans 35 What I saw Titans game

Link Copied to Clipboard