Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend

Desmond King makes a lot of sense.

Top rated slot corner and can play FS.

I know the Browns are aware and want more help at corner.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I was one who also thought we might spend more, and maybe we still will. It just won't be all on a couple of players.

Now that the first wave is about over, the 2nd wave and beyond is where you pluck value....even though Takk is a value pick.

Evidently we viewed him as the best available that we weren't going to have to pay $12mil a year.

You never know how it was done or said. Maybe we told him and his agent that if he gets off to a nice start, isn't a PR nightmare for the team, and isn't a locker room egghead we would consider extending him 2-3 years come mid-season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He isn't a grinner just beaming smiles to please others. He doesnt appear to be interested in making other people comfortable.

I'll take that all day long if he comes in and does his job.

I'm not aware of any off field scandals with this player. No women issues, no law enforcement, no social media gaffes, not internal team controversies. If anybody is aware of something concrete involving him please post it. No what you heard, but something from sourced reporting.

Downing a guy for one-word answers or not flashing a plastic smile can't be a thing in Cleveland or Nick Chubb would be public enemy #1.

Last edited by guard dawg; 03/17/21 10:07 AM.
Legend
Legend
I'll never forget him talking about his grandma , carrying her picture, when his name was called.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
For some reason watching that video gives off that "I'm just here so I don't get fined" vibe.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I'll never forget him talking about his grandma , carrying her picture, when his name was called.
yeah I remember that too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/takk-...by-the-raiders/
title: Takk McKinley set to join his third team in a week after being claimed off waivers by the raiders.
Nov 23, 2020

----- ------

Just in General, after reading the above article, I'll just take this signing for what it is. Unfortunatly I think the players future upside is limited, but that's why they play the games.

And his Middle name means 'cough!' gold in French, ya, so not a green flag, (Jeremy Mcphails anybody?),
Good Luck and Go Browns!
I like Claibourne.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I would not rate this signing as a high point for the Browns front office.

This is a, "prove yourself" contract...

Takk is depending on his 1st round draft status and his on the field performances during his first 3 years in the NFL. The Falcons 'did not' pickup Takk's 5th year option and it appears that Takk might have let that affect his play on the field (imo), but the last year Takk suffered a shoulder injury and played in only 4 games in 2020, accumulating 8 total tackles and 1 sack.

Takk requested a trade but the Falcons waived him in Nov 2020. He then failed two team's physicals but was claimed by the Raiders, placed on injured reserve, began practicing with the team Dec 15th, but Gruden never activated him and he did not play for the Raiders.

IMO, he seems to be trying to reset his NFL career by signing a 1yr contract with the Browns.

I hope everything goes well for Takk during his 2021 year with the Browns. The Browns sure could use him and his skill set, pressuring/harassing and sacking QBs.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Official.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
This is a guy that should be motivated. If he is smart, he will put in the extra work to be the best he can. This one year deal can make or break his career.

Playing opposite Miles, he should be able to have impact. If he does, that second contract could come from many places. If he dogs it, or acts disgruntled, this could be his last contract. Edge guys make good money, if he balls out, he could end up with a nice payday.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Some thoughtful and well-considered analysis on the McKinley signing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really like Quincy's clips...except for 1 thing. I'm sure thanking his Patreon subscribers at the beginning was cool when there were 5 of them. But now it's annoying to go through that growing list to start the video. He really should move that to the end.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
All Pro
All Pro
That's why you jump forward in the video. smile

I like the Takk signings as it gives us breathing room if we have to wait on edge rusher.

The Smith re-sign gives us room to see how the LBer market shakes out.

Obviously I like our safeties smile

I'm not so sure we can wait much longer on slot corner, though.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I like Takk's upbeat and positive attitude!

Well, it appears he's got the goods.

rofl rofl rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Takk says he's working on himself. Good article

Takk McKinley says he lost himself over last couple of years, but vows to regain hunger, repay Browns for always wanting himby Scott PetrakMarch 19, 2021

The pursuit of defensive end Takk McKinley started five years ago. When the Browns finally landed him Friday as he signed a one-year, $4.25 million deal, he pledged to find himself, regain his passion and live up to the potential general manager Andrew Berry loved when he was coming out of UCLA in the 2017 draft.
“When I came into this league at draft night, I was really hungry,” McKinley said on a Zoom call with reporters. “I was not relaxed. I was all about just getting after it. I felt like these last couple of years, specifically probably 2018-2019, I kind of lost myself. I lost the way I play the game. I just lost a lot.
“Now I am back, I have a great mindset and I have a great team around me. Now it is just to continue to improve, continue to talk to people, continue to get help and just continue to grow and be a better person, a better player and just better overall.”
McKinley, 25, hasn’t been same player since first two years with the Falcons after they drafted him No. 26. He had six sacks as a rookie — eight if you count two in the playoffs, as he pointed out — and seven in Year 2 but just six in his last 27 games. He played only four games last year due to a groin injury and tweeted his way out of Atlanta.

ADVERTISEMENT
While his contemporaries have locked in big money, including new teammate Myles Garrett with a five-year, $125 million extension, McKinley was grateful for the chance to prove himself with the Browns. He feels wanted after they tried to trade for him last year then put in three unsuccessful waiver claims.
“I was like the fifth time is going to be the charm,” he said. “It was a really easy decision for me once they offered.”
Middle linebacker Anthony Walker signs 1-year, $3.5M deal, leaves lots of admirers in Indianapolis

McKinley went out of his way to make a good first impression. He wore a dark shirt and jacket and peach tie and was forthcoming with his answers — a far cry from a 2019 interview in Atlanta in which he answered every question with a variation of “good.” He’s trying to turn the page.
“This league is not promised. It is a privilege to be here talking to you,” he said. “I feel like I am at the point in my career where if I want to be in this league, I need to start acting like it. Today it was not to look good but it was for myself and everybody else to know I mean nothing but business.”
McKinley, who had a difficult childhood outside of Oakland, Calif., underwent a mental health evaluation in January 2019 after a friend called police in Los Angeles and he was detained. McKinley was asked Friday what happened for him to “lose himself.”
“I would just say life,” he said. “I feel like a lot of people when it comes to football players, they just look at us as gladiators, and just when it comes to football, it just has to be football. Just like every single one of you, I do have a life and a personal life, and things happen in that personal life and that is OK.
“I am just older now and I am more mature now that I understand, yes, I may have some issues outside of life, but when I am on that grass, nothing else matters. I am just huge on learning from my mistakes and do not make the same mistake twice.”
McKinley credited former Falcons coach Dan Quinn and former Falcons defensive coordinator/interim coach Raheem Morris for helping him mature and gave special mention to Pro Football Hall of Famer Kevin Greene, whom he called a mentor. Greene died in December.
“He was someone who always I could talk to about anything, whether it was football or life,” McKinley said. “He told me, ‘Takk, if you want to be in this league for a long time, you have to fix your image.’ I feel like a lot of people don’t really know me and a lot of people don’t understand me, but once you get to talk to me, you will soon realize there isn’t anything wrong with this dude at all.
“All I know is I am just trying to grow and get better at all areas, whether that is football, as a father or just a person.”
The Browns are giving him a second chance. It was a long time coming.
Berry was the top football person in 2017 as vice president of player personnel under general manager Sashi Brown. The Browns drafted Garrett with the No. 1 pick, but McKinley was an option at No. 12 if they had taken a quarterback first. He said his first predraft visit was to the Browns.
When Berry returned to Cleveland last year as GM, he restarted the pursuit of McKinley.
“To know a team sees what I am worth, sees what I can do and really believes in me, that means the world,” he said, adding quarterback Baker Mayfield was the first player to text him. “Now I just can’t wait to get out there on that field and prove it to myself and show everybody else why it was a smart decision to bring me here.”
McKinley has changed from No. 98 to No. 55 and looks forward to a clean slate.
“Sometimes a fresh start is the best thing for everyone,” he said. “I am just very, very excited to be a part of the Cleveland Browns knowing how bad they wanted me and knowing the opportunity that lies in front of me. I am with a team that has a great locker room. The culture is changing. I am excited to be a part of and continue to change what people think about the Cleveland Browns.
“In the past, it was a laughing organization. That is not the culture here anymore, especially after talking to coach Ski (Kevin Stefanski), Mr. Berry and pretty much everyone in this building. That losing stuff is not a part of Cleveland anymore. I am just excited to be here and help keep winning.”
The risk is low for the Browns, especially if they add another couple of pass rushers through free agency and the draft. The reward could be huge.
McKinley (6-foot-2, 260 pounds) ran a 4.59-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine and turns the speed into power when he pursues the quarterback. When engaged he plays with tremendous effort.
The Browns are counting on him be a productive complement to Garrett, who had 12 sacks and four forced fumbles last year despite missing two games with COVID-19 and feeling the effects for the final month-plus of the season.
Olivier Vernon, who had nine sacks as the other starting end last year, is a free agent and his Achilles tendon ruptured Jan. 3 in the regular-season finale. No. 3 end Adrian Clayborn was released to clear $3 million in salary cap space. So McKinley slides into an important role no matter what else the Browns do in the offseason.
“I do not need to get into Myles Garrett’s resumé. Everybody in the world knows it, but the way I think I can help him is you got a dawg on the other side of you,” he said. “You have someone who is going to battle for you. You have someone who is going to go hard, 100 percent, full speed.

“I know I have shown a lot of flashes in my career. For me, it is all about being consistent now.”
McKinley believes he’s a perfect fit in coordinator Joe Woods’ system, as he can line up wide and use his speed to rush the quarterback. He didn’t want to talk about the groin injury from a year ago that caused him to fail physicals after being claimed by the Bengals and 49ers and end the year on injured reserve with the Raiders but passed his physical with the Browns, said he’s healthy and training in California.
He’s not worrying about proving himself on the one-year deal.
“This league is not guaranteed at all,” McKinley said. “I am focusing on this year and focusing on what I can control. If I do what I need to do, that will take care of itself. There is no reason for me to think about next year when I have to handle this year.”

Legend
Legend

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend

Takk ain't lyin' about putting in the work!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Good Gawd.

That's our BACKUP/3rd DE, lol?

Dear NFL,

I'm sorry, but not sorry.

Sincerely,
The Dawg Pound

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Takk Vader

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign edge Takk McKinley

Link Copied to Clipboard