Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I know we are in a win now mode, but we still need to keep an eye on the future. I don't want to be a one and done type team.

Based on what I've seen from this admin, there is little chance of that. Can't believe I'm actually saying this with confidence after so many years of... awful. I've watched how this team was assembled. It was unlike anything we had before.

So much of our fan talk revolves around the depth we seeing being built, and that's no accident. Some pretty impressive stuff has been done since 0-16, and it's been done in a very deliberate fashion. The results speak for themselves.

This isn't Butch Davis '02. We're not a house of cards flirting with cap hell this time. This current Browns team was built the way we always screamed for back in the day. It's now built to accommodate player churn.

I'm feeling pretty confident these days. It was never a curse. It was always "stupid at the top." These guys are handling their business with a minimum of trivia, and I expect it to continue.

Don't forget- I'm the "culture guy." Have been since since.

I think we're getting set up pretty well.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
wow.
Brian Brennen.

Thanks for the refresh.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

We are on the same page.

Sometimes I think I wrote a post you authored that is how much we agree. It's rare but it has happened that we disagree.

You're a very smart man cool and you along with a few other people make this sight very enjoyable for me. For the most part I truly enjoy all the posts. Even throw sometimes writes something worthy of reading I have to admit I skip over most of what he says or writes. You can tell he reads a lot and has some knowledge but his conclusions are weird.

Oh and I truly miss Vers, he had a wealth of knowledge but to often was dragged into meaningless arguments. He took any opinion personnel and often it wasn't, it was just different. In truth there is great value in opinions and conclusions other then your own. I love posts that make me think, Vers did that for me at least.

It's rare that I miss much when it comes to reading things here or elsewhere Kiper has us losing in the SB to Green Bay. thumbsup Turns out we aren't nuts after all, hahaha.

I think if we can handle KC come playoff time we will be able to handle Green Bay as well.

You probably do it too but when I watch the KC game from last year I see a truly different football team in the second half this team has another gear and oh man are they good when they get there. This season they have to play in that higher gear every week. With these sorts of targets being placed on us. We have to play at a very high level every single week, teams are going to throw everything they have at us less then all we got every week isn't going to do. Ski has his work cut out for him, but what a great place to be ah?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

I am very confident in what the offense can do. We saw it and it will be even better with the additions of Odell, Felton and Schwartz.

Baker is so dialed in. You can see it in his body language. His atttude. The way he answers questions. How he relates to teammates. He is in charge and is feeling it.

But the defense is where we will separate. Myles and Clowney are poised for huge years. This guy McDowell by seasons end could be an inside pressence.

At the second level JOK is going to make a difference.
This is one of the best articles Mary K has ever written.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09...-kay-cabot.html

One of the few times that she has stepped out and drawn a conclusion.

The secondary is where we lost games and allowed teams to comeback on us.

JJ3 is a leader and a smart player.
Hill is another guy who anticipates the offense and reads well.

Harrison plays what I like to call a middle safety. He will run support and drop.

Newsome has had a really good camp. He showed why we drafted him in the first. He is tough, quick, and has adapted to this level really fast.

Delpit coming out of college was a total stud. A complete player that can play both FS and SS. Woods will be smart and will ease him into things.

Ward is a top corner. Great technician.

Berry has given Woods every tool necessary to make this an elite defense.

The defense is why my expectations are through the roof.

To win in the post season. You have to be able to stop teams. The quarterbacks in the post season are all studs. The offenses to good. You have to be able to pressure the quarterback and cover.

This defense will look nothing like last year. It may take a little time to reach full potential.
But I don't expect the defense to be a problem early. Just not what they will become.

Thx for the compliment.

I remember when you were really calling out Holmgren. You were right. I thought he was going to be good and he was not.

In 1987 when the season began I thought we would win it all.

This is a better team. Berry has brought in talented high quality players.

Stefanski has added structure, discipline, and chemistry. He has molded the right attitude. Last year this team was forged through adversity.

This year they know how to win.

Should be a hellava ride.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw the piece by Mary Kay. I agree with her logic at the same time I will go with what Ski and Joe think is the best route.

This McDowell kid is going to be unbelievable we hit a home run when we picked him up.

I saw him repeatedly man handle everyone he lined up over I see no way he doesn't start and dominate.

You put him next to Myles or Clowney there is no way that pressure doesn't come instantly. He demands a double team, if you don't double team him he will take you apart. He needs some seasoning for sure but just plug him in and let him raise hell, you couple that with JOK and really an average backend and they will be dominate. Until I saw him on Sunday I was like yeah sure now I am a huge fan this kid if he can keep his head together will be our mini-Aaron Donald once again Berry has knocked it out of the park.

We can kick it around and talk all sorts of crap but this is probably one of the greatest lineups of players ever assembled. Those are big words and a huge mountain to climb for sure but man oh man this team is stacked, and even the practice squad is formidable. SMH

It truly is time to watch Ski prepare this team for the greatness that is within this group of players.

So as I have said, put a few cold ones on ice, make a big bowl of pop-corn and enjoy a season or really seasons of unbelievable football to follow. The only way these guys lose is if they don't give great effort. We are built to not just win football games but to dominate and I include every team in the NFL.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
I know we are in a win now mode, but we still need to keep an eye on the future. I don't want to be a one and done type team.

Based on what I've seen from this admin, there is little chance of that. Can't believe I'm actually saying this with confidence after so many years of... awful. I've watched how this team was assembled. It was unlike anything we had before.

So much of our fan talk revolves around the depth we seeing being built, and that's no accident. Some pretty impressive stuff has been done since 0-16, and it's been done in a very deliberate fashion. The results speak for themselves.

This isn't Butch Davis '02. We're not a house of cards flirting with cap hell this time. This current Browns team was built the way we always screamed for back in the day. It's now built to accommodate player churn.

I'm feeling pretty confident these days. It was never a curse. It was always "stupid at the top." These guys are handling their business with a minimum of trivia, and I expect it to continue.

Don't forget- I'm the "culture guy." Have been since since.

I think we're getting set up pretty well.

I do too. Don't think my comments were somehow intended to think we aren't. I am 100% convinced that Berry and the team surrounding him are 100% focused on that.

The tires on the car are about to change. It is now Stefanski at the helm. The role of the FO for this years team is nearly over except for the pro personnel guys who will keep scouting pro players we might add to the roster for this season.

The rest ( or most) of the FO and scouting are now turning the page on this years teams work and starting to focus on next years team. College players, the draft, contracts, salary cap. All of those things are now the focus.

The "or most" part is Depo's staff. Some of them are still focused on this years data other teams compile to provide Stefanski and staff the best info possible to help them game plan and help Stefanski if we are starting to compile trends that might help other teams plan against us.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Bone and BTTB, I enjoy your thoughts.

Whenever I look at the Browns today, I see a myriad of combinations from both sides of the ball. I also see a Front Office developing an innovative way of thinking. I dislike the word scientific but I think "diversified" works. Cleveland is doing nothing new just combining schools of thought.

On offense, Ski can easily scheme 11-personnel, 12-personnel, and 21-personnel. You can run the same 20 plays in each with a complete lineup change. With a Paul Brown flare, this season will define the intelligence level of this coaching staff and players. The combinations is mind blowing what they can game plan each week. I think I read someone earlier stating the Browns offense has better talent then KC. I totally agree here. I look back at the Kardiac Kid years and what Coach Rutigliano had. Tell me this offense does not have more talent and depth across the board. There maybe a player or two better from either era, but across the board I don't recall a more versatile group.

On defense, the Browns can easily run defensive groups 3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5, and wide-nine. In the secondary, having the three safeties, they can run both press and zone coverage. To put the cherry on top, one week Coach Woods can run an aggressive blitz heavily scheme and next week play heavy coverage.

Key here is versatility. I see it spreading throughout the organization. Berry is bringing in different flavors hiring ex-GMs. DePodesta is adding analytical people with different mind sets.

I think the Cleveland Browns have turned the table 180 degrees from five years ago and become the innovators of tomorrow. I am not saying everything the Browns have done was correct. What I am saying they finally developed a formula that works. They have created something different.

Knowing the path that Cleveland normally travels. I foresee a rocky start. About week 6 we begin to see the light!!!! I can't wait for this season to start. BEER ME and GO BROWNS!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
1st Bugs welcome back my man missed you and as always you raise some great points.

I said the thing about us having better talent then KC and it isn't even close in fact I don't know why I said it because I honestly homer to side don't think I should have to repeat it 17 times and then again in the playoffs we have much better talent then KC. They have 3 great players and beyond that they are pretty average.

It's strange though to hear or see you write about the coaching I believe that this staff is incredibly talented and laser focused on player development. I also have said earlier on while posting that I believe that the Browns are headed for a dynasty run led by the scheming of our head coach who I believe will be talked about with the Lombardi's, Paul Browns, and BB before he hangs up his clip board.

You seem to be of the same mind set. Again Welcome back I have always enjoyed your insights.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns announce initial 53-man roster

Link Copied to Clipboard