Print Thread
#2029312 09/21/23 11:03 AM
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Could it be that the Browns are operating without a real QB coach..?

The Browns spent nearly a 1/4 of a Billion dollars on a QB and instead of hiring the best QB coach to teach our QBs, the appear to be operating without a QB coach.

One individual named as in a recent article who calls himself "Watson's personal QB coach" is Quincy Avery

Here is the article naming Quincy Avery as Watson's personal QB coach...

Deshaun Watson’s QB coach absolutely blasts Browns

Story by Reice Shipley •

The Cleveland Browns fell to 1-1 on the season after falling in upset fashion against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday. Star quarterback Deshaun Watson and the rest of the offense failed to get much going all game long. And Watson’s personal quarterbacks coach Quincy Avery seems to believe that their loss is on the Browns’ playcalling.

Seattle Seahawks defensive back Quandre Diggs posted on social media on Tuesday, posting a vague message about bad coaches with poor game planning.

Diggs tweeted

Nino
@qdiggs6
It’s funny to me that people who has no idea of game planning or assignments for each week try to tell mf’s what they should or shouldn’t be doing.
12:41 PM · Sep 19, 2023
·
Views

Avery saw this tweet from Diggs and appeared to agree with him, replying to Diggs’ tweet with a number of exclamation points.

Quincy Avery
@QuincyAvery
‼️‼️‼️‼️
Nino
@qdiggs6
·
Sep 19
It’s funny to me that people who has no idea of game planning or assignments for each week try to tell mf’s what they should or shouldn’t be doing.
12:45 PM · Sep 19, 2023

Avery has obvious ties to Watson as his longtime personal QB coach. And most fans seem to believe that Avery is very much talking about the Browns play calling on Monday night.
1d

Click this link to follow Quincy Avery tweets...

link

Watson hasn’t exactly been the most efficient quarterback since joining the Browns last season. And early on this season, his performance has been mediocre at best.

Of all 32 quarterbacks in the NFL this season to start a game, Watson ranks 30th in the NFL in QBR on the year. That is only above Carolina Panthers rookie Bryce Young and New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson.

That obviously has to improve if the Browns are going to be serious contenders in the AFC. Whether the playcalling is the issue or Watson’s play just needs to be better, it is very clear that something needs to change quickly…

[Quincy Avery on Twitter]

The post Deshaun Watson’s QB coach absolutely blasts Browns appeared first on The Comeback: Today’s Top Sports Stories & Reactions.

Last edited by mac; 09/21/23 11:05 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Checking the Browns website, here is who the Browns list as their QB coach...
link

Ashton Grant
OFFENSIVE ASSISTANT/QUARTERBACKS

Biography
Year with Browns: 3rd

Year as NFL coach: 3rd

Key Notes

Named offensive quality control coach in 2022. Joined the Browns in 2020 as the team's first-ever recipient of the Bill Willis Coaching Fellowship and extended his time with the team in the same role through 2021. The Browns created the opportunity for a rising minority coach with a focus on the offensive side of the ball.

Spent 2020-21 assisting the coaching staff with week-to-week game plans and talent evaluations. Worked closely with run game coordinator/running backs coach Stump Mitchell in 2020 and pass game coordinator/wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea in 2021.

Served as the wide receivers coach for the West team in the 2022 East-West Shrine Bowl.

· Helped the Browns to one of the most prolific RB tandems in 2020 with Nick Chubb (1,067 rushing yards and 12 rushing touchdowns) and Kareem Hunt (1,144 scrimmage yards and 11 total touchdowns). The pair were only NFL teammates to each record at least 840 rushing yards in 2020, highlighted by a win against Houston on Nov. 15, when Chubb (126) and Hunt (104) became the first Browns to each record 100 yards rushing in the same game since 1966.

· The Browns run game finished 2020 third in NFL in rush yards (2,374) as the team recorded four games with at least 200 rushing yards, its most in a season since 1978.

· Prior to receiving the Bill Willis Fellowship, Grant was a Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellow for the Browns, a separate opportunity each NFL team offers to minority coaches during offseason programs.

· Prior to the Browns, served as a quality control coach at Holy Cross from 2019-20.

· Before entering a coaching career, Grant played in the Alliance of American Football with the Salt Lake Stallions and participated in training camps with the Chiefs and Bears.

· Attended Assumption, where he posted the most receiving yards (3,204), most touchdown receptions (36) and touchdown receptions in a single-season (13 in 2016) in school history.

· Native of Manchester, Conn.

Ashton Grant's Coaching Background:

2019-20 College of Holy Cross , quality control coach

2020 Cleveland Browns, Bill Walsh NFL diversity coaching fellowship

2020-21 Cleveland Browns, Bill Willis coaching fellowship

2022- Cleveland Browns, offensive quality control coach

P
Legend
Legend
P
So he never mentioned the Browns or Stefanski in his Tweet but you came to that conclusion? You may have a future as a writer for TMZ. To connect the dots first you need some actual dots to connect.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
So far, it appears that Watson has a "Personal QB Coach", Quincy Avery...

In addition to Avery, the Browns look to have named someone named Ashton Grant, who has ONLY 3 YRS OF NFL EXPERIENCE, doing something.

Then some of you wonder why Watson looks like crap...Watson does not have a QB coach.

My suggestion, make Jim Schwartz Watson's QB coach in addition to Schwartz's DC responsibilities.

What NFL Franchise pays 1/4 billion on a QB but forgets to name a qualified QB coach to teach the Browns QB how the franchise wants the QB to play the position...ONLY IN CLEVELAND where analytics is king.

Legend
Legend
Alex Van Pelt added QB coach to his OC responsibilities when Drew Petzing left to become Arizona's (IIRC) OC.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Alex Van Pelt added QB coach to his OC responsibilities when Drew Petzing left to become Arizona's (IIRC) OC.

Exactly......

Kevin Stefanski is adding his former Vikings boss Bill Musgrave as a senior offensive assistant to help with the unit while offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt adds quarterbacks coach back to his repertoire.

Van Pelt has 18 years of coaching experience after nine years as an NFL quarterback. He spent four years as the QB coach for the Green Bay Packers coaching Aaron Rodgers. He then spent two seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals before joining Cleveland in 2020.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/2/26/23616108/browns-alex-van-pelt-returns-qb-coach-role

Oh the humanity!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The only thing worse for Watson not having a QB coach...might be having TOO MANY QB Coaches...

Watson has a Personal QB Coach...QUINCY AVERY, Deshaun Watson’s private quarterback coach

The Browns website shows ASHTON GRANT as OFFENSIVE ASSISTANT/QUARTERBACKS link

We have a link showing ALEX VAN PELT as Watson's QB coach

Then there is the guy calling every play into Watson's ear on game day, STEFANSKI...

So, anyone think 4 QB COACHES are enough for Watson..?

JMO, but Stefanski is probably the one QB COACH most responsible to molding Watson into the QB we saw against the Steelers.

Biggest problem facing the Cleveland Browns...EVERYONE wants to be the Headcoach/QB coach.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So first you complained the team didn't have a competent QB coach and now you're saying he might have too many QB coaches? Maybe you should make up your mind.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So first you complained the team didn't have a competent QB coach and now you're saying he might have too many QB coaches? Maybe you should make up your mind.

Pitt..or, could it be that the ANALYTICS TEAM misjudged and misrepresented Watson 's potential to Haslam, pushing the owner to spring for a 1/4 billion dollar contract because they are such a good judge of player talent.

How could Watson play better for the Texans than he has for super smart analytics driven talent evaluators working for the Browns.

Maybe it's all 3 ... too many no REAL QB COACH...
...OR maybe 4 named QB coaches all trying to tell Watson how to play is too many.
...OR maybe the ANALYTICS crew did it again,

I think that many Browns fans feel that if Jim Schwartz was in charge of the offense, he could improve that side of the ball, too.

Fans are growing very weary of Stefanski's excuses.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
The only thing worse for Watson not having a QB coach...might be having TOO MANY QB Coaches...

Watson has a Personal QB Coach...QUINCY AVERY, Deshaun Watson’s private quarterback coach

Then there is the guy calling every play into Watson's ear on game day, STEFANSKI...

JMO, but Stefanski is probably the one QB COACH most responsible to molding Watson into the QB we saw against the Steelers.

Biggest problem facing the Cleveland Browns...EVERYONE wants to be the Headcoach/QB coach.

Could be Mac. That is a lot of sensory overload.

The private guy is just in the off season. My feeling is that is more the physical training as it pertains to the QB position, but i don't know for sure. There is probably some mechanical work, I just don't know how much.

As for the Browns staff, one would think, or at least hope all the info being thrown at the guy is consistent.

This is just my feeling, but I don't think Watson is a Stefanski QB. Stefanski still runs a Viking O, with 2 TE's and 3-4 reads on every pass play. I am not saying Watson is dumb, but i do think he has to take a tick longer to process what he sees. He needs a 2 read O. Make the 2 reads, if it isn't there, break from the pocket and see what happens from there. He then has the option to hit some check down, hit a broken play pass, or just run for what he can and slide.

He was lights out with that at both Clemson and Houston. There is no logical reason for him to be this gummed up unless we are doing something to help him be that way.

Chubb isn't here anymore. There is no reason to make the backs job easier. Spread the darn field, create some throwing lanes or open the field up to allow Watson to gain an easy 8 yards.

Are we trying to win games or are we trying to force feed an uncomplimentary O to the QB?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Hammer
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Peen...few try to put themselves in the position of the player, Watson in this case.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Or it could be that Haslam said go out and get him. You can travel down a long road of "could be's" if that is the road you wish to travel. That doesn't really mean anything either way. I mean some people think the earth could be flat.

Houston Texans Double The Size Of Their Analytics Department Jun 1, 2020, 9:00am CDT

https://www.battleredblog.com/2020/...e-the-size-of-their-analytics-department

You were saying?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac

The private guy is just in the off season. My feeling is that is more the physical training as it pertains to the QB position, but i don't know for sure. There is probably some mechanical work, I just don't know how much.

As for the Browns staff, one would think, or at least hope all the info being thrown at the guy is consistent.

This is just my feeling, but I don't think Watson is a Stefanski QB. Stefanski still runs a Viking O, with 2 TE's and 3-4 reads on every pass play. I am not saying Watson is dumb, but i do think he has to take a tick longer to process what he sees. He needs a 2 read O. Make the 2 reads, if it isn't there, break from the pocket and see what happens from there. He then has the option to hit some check down, hit a broken play pass, or just run for what he can and slide.

He was lights out with that at both Clemson and Houston. There is no logical reason for him to be this gummed up unless we are doing something to help him be that way.

Chubb isn't here anymore. There is no reason to make the backs job easier. Spread the darn field, create some throwing lanes or open the field up to allow Watson to gain an easy 8 yards.

Are we trying to win games or are we trying to force feed an uncomplimentary O to the QB?

I don't think being "slow" reading the middle of the field is a Watson (specific) problem. I think it simply is the fact that more congested parts of the field are harder to read for everyone. Keeping TEs and extra OL in lets opponents crowd the box. There are more interruptions of sight lines in front of you and there is frequently more movement behind it. One also can't read while turned around for a play fake.

I also think keeping (pass catching ) TEs inline is kind of like putting WRs up against the sideline. No one runs formations with receivers starting clear out there. The adjacent OL, similarly to the sideline, almost acts as an extra defender. TEs can't go through the OL which makes it easier to jam them and allows defenders to play outside leverage without really having to worry about getting beat to the inside.

I'm hoping the gameplan was a reaction to the Conklin injury and it has been scrapped after Monday night's travesty.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Saying spread the field dosesn't mean you place receivers out on the sidelines.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Saying spread the field dosesn't mean you place receivers out on the sidelines.

I know. That's why I said no one does that. It'd be silly. I feel like keeping TEs that you expect to catch passes lined up against an OT has similar drawbacks.

Edit: Travis Kelce gets most of his production from the slot. A lot of people seem to expect similar production from Njoku. To me, it seems that more slot usage would make that more likely.

You can see some splits of Kelce's production by alignment further down here:
link

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 09/24/23 09:46 AM. Reason: Expansion and added example and link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Browns QB coach...

Link Copied to Clipboard