Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mac
pit...what is the subject of this thread..?

WHY CAN'T THE BROWNS "DRAFT AND DEVELOP" WRS...

I have broadened the subject to include WHY CAN'T THE BROWNS DRAFT AND DEVELOP TALENT..?

The true strength of a football team should be measured in terms of the talent level of a teams starters and the backup talent.

Players are going to get hurt, but if your coaching and training staff have done a good job developing the backup talent, the Browns should be able plug in the next man and expect a decent performance from our home-grown backups.

I do not expect backup talent to perform as a starter might, but that does not mean that the Browns are doomed to lose if Watson doesn't play QB. Last season Brissett was able man the QB position until Watson served his suspension and the Browns still had a chance to make the playoffs if they performed well once Watson took over. When Chubb went down it was clear that the Browns did not have anyone close to his talent level filling the backup RB role, so they traded for Pierre Strong from the Patriots. They also put their RB assessment tool in REVERSE, bringing Kareem Hunt back after Chubb was lost for the season.

It was disappointment to me watching the Browns backup QB "unprepared" to replace Watson vs the Ravens and clearly another indication that the Browns coaching staff had not prepared DTR to step in perform better as the Browns backup QB.

It's not simply the team's W-L record that I use to judge the Browns coaching and management performance on.

The truth hurts - it's why no one wants to hear it. This crap has been going on for 3 years now. When are people going to finally see the writing on the wall. There's nothing wrong with making mistakes, happens each and every day. Closing your eyes to those mistakes doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results is the real problem. This is the same crap that we had to deal with in 2021 and 2022. So here we are in 2023 and it's here again - TY Stefanski and Berry. LOL, and we'll still have people defending them here.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

The receivers haven't been the problem. (Excluding the dumb wrong direction reverse) It's been the OL and overwhelmed rookie QB. The OL was supposed to be good. It hasn't been. Now more guys are banged up (Bitonio, Pocic.) It's a game of attrition, and we got a giant bite taken out of us early. Hopefully we'll get some guys back healthy and be able to make a run. Unfortunately, Chubb (nor Conklin) won't be one of them.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
It's been the OL and overwhelmed rookie QB. The OL was supposed to be good. It hasn't been. Now more guys are banged up (Bitonio, Pocic.)

If we remember back to last season, the Browns OLine also had to deal with injuries at the OG and Center positions in 2022.

So "what changed" from 2022 to 2023 concerning the Browns ability to adequately cover and man the OG and Center positions when injuries to the OLine occurred last season?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They just haven't been playing well. Teams found out a way to attack what we do, we had not figured out how to stop it yet. Hopefully, now Callahan has. I think a lot of it was/is just needing the guys to communicate better/more.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
They just haven't been playing well. Teams found out a way to attack what we do, we had not figured out how to stop it yet. Hopefully, now Callahan has. I think a lot of it was/is just needing the guys to communicate better/more.

Maybe the quality of the OLine personnel was better last year than it is this year.

Berry's record at judging OLine personnel is a matter of record, drafting Wills over Wirfs and drafting Centers Nick Harris and Dawson Deaton.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
pit...what is the subject of this thread..?

WHY CAN'T THE BROWNS "DRAFT AND DEVELOP" WRS...

bull...I've been pretty consistent since the Haslam family handed the keys to the franchise over to the present management team.

Bull..you tell me, when if ever can the performance of the Browns management team be judged..their ability to draft and develop the type of talent needed to build the franchise into a consistent winner..?

2023 is year 8 under this management team and many, including ownership have pointed to 2023 as the year when the Browns were to be considered as a legit threat.

IMO, I believe Browns fans have waited long enough to see positive results.

If you're going to preach at me to restrict my posts to developing WR's, maybe you should be following your own advice.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Maybe the quality of the OLine personnel was better last year than it is this year.

Berry's record at judging OLine personnel is a matter of record, drafting Wills over Wirfs and drafting Centers Nick Harris and Dawson Deaton.

The problems with the Browns management team goes well beyond drafting and developing just WRS.

Now the Browns management team is being forced to show how prepared they are at addressing injuries to the OLine. 

At some point Browns fans might realize that in Cleveland, we have a problem with our management team that goes beyond their ability draft and develop  just one  position...but the issues go well beyond just one position.

I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns WRs have 1 total TD as a group this year.
DPJ is a underachieving like no other.
So overrated on this board

P
Legend
Legend
P
If TD's are the standard you're using, as the #1 WR Coopper has only caught 1 TD. If only QB play was a common denominator. Oh wait a minute, it is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You can’t draft or develop WR’s when you trade picks at the top of the draft.

More of a bash against the FO, but that is what happens when you mortgage the future on a single player…

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You can’t draft or develop WR’s when you have a QB that can’t throw a football..

That goes back to Bad shoulder Baker, Brisset, and Walker.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Brissett had a 64% completion percentage with 12 td's and 6 int's in his time with the Browns. I think that means he could throw the ball.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I just trusted Brissett's decision making and ability to NOT kill us ... not to mention, his short yardage impact

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Brissett had a 64% completion percentage with 12 td's and 6 int's in his time with the Browns. I think that means he could throw the ball.

Well, I will be more precise with my comment.

He was a good QB as a backup, but plays downfield or outside the numbers were a bit limited. So WR's are not going to put up huge numbers.

His best pass was a ten yard inside the numbers bullet that he could nail on a dime.

There are reasons that he has been limited as a starter throughout his career. And yes, I would take that limited right now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess that was also my point as well. There aren't starting material QB's available right now. As it pertains to back up QB's he is an efficient QB that makes few mistakes. A game manager type. Certainly an upgrade to the Browns current options without having to break the bank.

What I think a lot of people forget is this.......

Browns have a top 5 offense including top 10 in passing

Cleveland’s offensive DVOA is impressive in multiple ways

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/11/3/23439550/browns-dvoa-offense-nick-chubb-jacoby-brissett

If one looks back at how highly our passing attack was ranked with Brissett under center I think it helps to put things in perspective.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We've simply regressed continuously at QB.

The best sustained QB performances in this offense are:

1. Baker Mayfield
2. Jacoby Brissett

and then it's a pretty big drop off to #3, which is currently PJ Walker.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. It's just another bad break for us that DW got injured. We have a team that can play with anyone if we had a healthy DW. We are built to win now and this had to happen. Now that I stated what we all know I'll offer a solution or 2. Try and trade for Brissett if possible. I would offer a 3 and a 5. If Washington doesn't want to trade then see if Wentz or Matt Ryan would be interested. We have to try something. I'd hate to see another promising season, like 2021, go down the drain. With Enough reps PJ might be OK but we shouldn't stand pat. JMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
The solution should have been having a capable back up QB on the roster. Now the only solution is scrambling to try and find one. We had Dobbs and gave him up for a ham sandwich and a six pack.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. No argument here. Keeping Dobbs was just common sense.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/25/23 11:36 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
We've simply regressed continuously at QB.

The best sustained QB performances in this offense are:

1. Baker Mayfield
2. Jacoby Brissett

and then it's a pretty big drop off to #3, which is currently PJ Walker.

If we only had a 230 million dollar elite franchise QB… rolleyes

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/25/23 04:42 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I can't believe, well, I don't understand how people may have forgotten just how BAD the Browns offense was in the red zone,
especially passing, or dropping back to pass, in the red zone under Brissett,
and, how that continued over a large game stretch, 4 or many more games
If I'd recall, Case Keenum, Baker, and Dobbs all did better than Brissett in the offense, pound for pound,
But none of that matters
because none of them are going to play better than P.J. Walker is going to play in this Browns offense this upcoming game because only P.J. Walker will be on the field.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns can't draft or develop WRs.

Link Copied to Clipboard