Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think everyone knows it's been bothering you for a long time because you've been posting that same thing for a long time. It's not some secret you've suddenly decided to unveil.

I think starting DTR over Walker is a mistake. Simply because this may do the kid more harm than good. Getting a kid shell shocked early can only serve to hinder his development.

But come on man. You make this sound like Stefanski is using Walker as a scapegoat. Walker just plain sucks. It is what it is. Show me what it is about Walker's abilities or stats that suggests that it is a bad idea to try anything at this point. You can't. At this pint throwing something new against the wall to see if it sticks isn't going to hurt anything since these are the only two options this FO has given Stefanski to work with.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Unfortunately, this has just been gnawing at me since the Jets game last year, and I fear that I am right.

In sports you have people who are just winners. Guys who make the best decisions or the best plays and get it done when it matters most. This can be players or it can be coaches.

Stefanski is just not one of these guys. He may be able to win under perfect circumstances but he's not going to "decision" his way to a win. He's not going to "coach" his way to a win. Occasionally, yes he will. But not consistently enough and not enough to fulfill the team's goals.

And another troubling trend with Stefanski is the scapegoating. Now he's benching PJ Walker for doing exactly as PJ Walker would have been predicted to do. Instead of saying "it was a dumb play call, that's on me", he's now benching PJ. How many scapegoats has Stefanski had...Baker, Woods, Priefer, PJ, Brissett, Watson. No one in the history of the NFL gets more scapegoats than Stefanski.

Sounds like the "Baker Mayfield" of coaches. Hmmm

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Walker has repeatedly demonstrated he is incapable of executing simple plays. Through three games. Over and over. You are completely gashing the Seahawks on the ground.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending Stefanski. I'm equally tired of his "smartest guy in the room" playcalling when it matters most. With hindsight, running it would've been the better choice given that one play vs the 9'ers and PJ's overall body of work. But the play KS dialed up had multiple open options, and his playcalling over the first 58 minutes had the lead with that same horrid QB. Stefanski's gotta own it, but I still think the people that say they're mad at KS for putting the ball in Walker's hands really should be mad at Berry.

Berry is the one that traded Dobbs and decided to gamble on DTR heading into the season. Berry is the one that will wait through the trade deadline while sitting on his hands (and by that I mean, if he really wanted to get another backup QB, he could). It would be a "loss" in terms of what we would have to give up, but teams that believe they are contenders take those trade losses to prevent what we saw on Sunday from happening.

I'm getting tired of Stefanski's shtick same/similar to you, but I think he did a pretty decent job overall given what he has to work with at QB right now.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by oobernoober
but I think he did a pretty decent job overall

Did we win the game?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. Up until that that third down call, he coached a great game. To me, and maybe this is just my opinion not shared by others, but that third down call completely negated the previous 58 minutes of great coaching.

We cannot as a fanbase be ok with "aw schucks, we did our best" while other fanbases like the Ravens are in the playoffs damn near every year. Why is losing and mediocrity ok for the Cleveland Browns?

It would be one thing if Stefanski were 10 years in, multiple playoff appearances, a proven winner...he makes mistakes, you write them off and you lean on past results as a way to assure yourself it will get fixed.

But man, we are four years in, and no one, and I mean no one other than Brandon Staley, delivers more mediocre results with talent and with games in hand then Stefanski. And we justify and dismiss it over and over and over again. "Well, it's ok because he coached his arse off for 58 minutes!" Is it really ok if his coaching decisions in the last two minutes lead to the loss?

Every win is so precious in the NFL. So few games played. Every damn game nearly comes down to the wire. You have to recognize and embrace how precious it is and make decisions that PRIORITIZE WINNING. Not make decisions that prioritize that you can scheme guys open. You have to have a singular laser like focus on just winning. That's it. Just winning.

We are not getting that with Stefanski. This team should be 6-2 with playoffs clearly in sight. It's just so maddening and frustrating.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
even the announcers during the game commented that Walker missed Moore and it cost us a TD

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Guys are running wide open damn near every play.

Why on earth Stefanski thought ...eh, never mind.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it's great that you ignore 59 minutes of solid coaching and concentrate on the 60th minute only.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
FWIW, you're good. You're not being a jerk, IMO.

You're right that we didn't win the game, and with hindsight a very big part of that was that 3rd down call. My point is that at least half the anger surrounding that call should be directed at Berry. Your best option is starting a QB whose play is statistically more likely to benefit the opposing team. Somehow the offense with that boat anchor around its neck was 3 points up with 2 minutes to go. That is a credit to KS that he now can't enjoy because of 1 call.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Any one else notice Dawand Jones not on the field at least the last two series? If could have been longer, but thats when I noticed, was he hurt and I missed it? Hudson played alright in those two series.

Legend
Legend
Your opinion.

I think you are dead wrong.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Any one else notice Dawand Jones not on the field at least the last two series? If could have been longer, but thats when I noticed, was he hurt and I missed it? Hudson played alright in those two series.
yeah he went into the locker room

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Seahawks 24 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard