Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2045207 11/24/23 03:08 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Take this pudit's word for what it's worth.
I just found it interesting that PIT fans are getting a taste of Browns Life.

Nothing lasts forever.
What goes around, comes around.

Steeler Nation
Steelers' Mike Tomlin Should Heed Warning Signals That Art Rooney II Is Suddenly Comfortable Breaking With Tradition
Story by Bob Quinn, Steeler Nation •
8h

The Pittsburgh Steelers have employed Mike Tomlin for 17 years. The early years were full of sunshine and rainbows, with two trips to the Super Bowl. They had a franchise quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger and a suffocating defense that was aging, but still effective. Nobody in Steeler Nation knew that after Rashard Mendenhall fumbled away Super Bowl XLVI, it would be the last trip to the big game during Tomlin’s tenure.

The Steelers limped into Mile High Stadium the following season against the Denver Broncos led by Tim Tebow, and the wheels came off. Roethlisberger tied the game, only to see Tebow find the late Demaryius Thomas on a short slant that went for 80 yards. Fans didn’t know it, but it began a decade of playoff futility. The Steelers have only won three playoff games since that loss, including the second-longest playoff win drought in the franchise’s history.

Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk joined The PM Team w/Poni & Mueller for his regular appearance on Wednesday afternoon. Andrew Fillipponi and Chris Mueller have pressed Florio hard this season about Tomlin’s performance and his decision to retain Matt Canada. They asked him what he thought of the move on Tuesday.

“It really is amazing that they did it,” Florio began. “There was clear dysfunction on the offensive side of the ball. I know Mike Tomlin said it was his decision and his decision alone. It might be a decision he wanted to implement weeks ago, and it wasn’t until Art Rooney said go ahead and do it, that he was actually permitted to do. It really is unclear who made the final call.”

The conflicting reports on the decision to terminate Canada have been confusing. It is the closest the Steelers have come to public dysfunction in the Super Bowl era. Florio, the founder of Pro Football Talk, is a Minnesota Vikings fan. He knows a little something about dysfunction.

“Are things going to be better,” Florio asked. “Who is going to get the criticism if they aren’t? Fundamentally, is this just a situation where Kenny Pickett isn’t the guy? That would be strange to see the Steelers admit after only two years that they got it wrong with Kenny Pickett.”

Steelers' Mike Tomlin Defended With Loathsome Talking Points By Mike Florio
Florio is one of the staunchest Tomlin defenders in the national media. When he isn’t spouting the cringeworthy cliched defenses of Tomlin, he is making up his own. The most offensive might be that Pittsburgh should not move on because someone else would hire him immediately. A point that even he acknowledged is no longer valid because of the head coach's words.
“Mike Tomlin said it’s a results-oriented business that applies to him, too,” Florio continued. "It always irritates me when there is that pocket of Steelers fans that gets very loud when the Steelers are struggling that Tomlin needs to be fired. But if it’s a new reality, then he’ll be under scrutiny as well if they have a protracted stretch of futility.”

The seven-year playoff win drought and a four-game AFC playoff losing streak over that stretch would meet the criteria. Steeler Nation expects relevancy and at least trips to the AFC Championship games. Contending for Super Bowls, not finishing .500 is the standard that Tomlin is supposed to be measured against.

“Doesn’t that make the whole notion of who actually called this shot to remove Canada even more intriguing,” Mueller asked. “If it was Rooney, as Gerry Dulac reported, and maybe Mike didn’t want it to happen, that makes me think that maybe Mike Tomlin without a new contract might be on the most notice he’s ever been on from the owner's box.”

From the outside looking in, Tomlin’s retention beyond 2024 does not feel like a certainty. He could be resisting going in a new direction behind closed doors. Tomlin has never been a strong tactician and has not employed one since Todd Haley during the 2017 season. Florio, shockingly, entertained the idea that Tomlin and the Steelers could part ways and even cautioned Art Rooney about the decision-making process.

“You know that’s not a bad point,” Florio acknowledged. “Rooney has been so adamant about Mike Tomlin. Six, seven years ago, I heard some of the limited partners wanted to make a change after all the Antonio Brown stuff. The idea that he wasn’t properly controlling the team. I’ve been a huge Mike Tomlin supporter, but if there ever is a time when they need to make a change, I hope they don’t resist simply because it’s their thing, and it’s their trademark that they’ve only had three coaches since 1969.”

After Mueller cornered him, even the former attorney could not find his way back to the comfort of his usual talking points. Florio did not endorse firing Tomlin but the veteran NFL observer did not dismiss it as a possibility either.

The dirty little secret that the national media has been ignoring for more than half a decade is that Tomlin's current stellar reputation revolves around the fact that he kept a lid on Antonio Brown's antics. It also makes sense that the dysfunctional NFL franchises would find that an attractive trait. Going .500 with an occasional division championship to show for it would make many NFL owners very happy.

A fan base spoiled by Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and the first third of Tomlin's career is growing increasingly impatient. The Steelers' way is dying, and apathy is killing it. The NFL is perfectly content to let a franchise built on defense and running the football fade into irrelevance in 2023. It will be interesting to see if Florio brings his newfound awareness that moving on from Tomlin is no longer a fringe group of the fan base. It is a significant portion with a point that should be shared with his national platform.

link.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #2045210 11/24/23 07:56 AM
Legend
Legend
Tomlin talks the talk.

You listen to Tomlin and think. "I would follow that guy."

However, the enamel starts to tarnish when you get poor quarterback play. Canada was a problem but so is Pickett.

Life without Ben oh the pain.

There is another from the coaching Mt Rushmore feeling the pain as well.

"Tom oh Tom where for art thou?" Belichick is about to face an owner's scowl. The word is he will be removed as GM with the hopes that he will decide to retire.

Again life without a great quarterback can equal unemployment.

Clemdawg #2045218 11/24/23 11:17 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I always felt Tomlin rode Ben’s coat tails. He’s won without him but I feel like it’s been more about the tradition of winning than coaching. I honestly think a better coach would have produced another championship with Ben.
I’m not saying Tomlin is trash or other such nonsense. I’m just saying he’s over rated. If he had been the coach of the Panthers/Jets/Texans/etc over the past decade I doubt he’d still be their coach, or be lauded as the great coach he is.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
In the end Tomlin is a defensive coach. He is a leader. Players like playing for him. He holds players accountable.

He shoots straight and is trusted. He is a good head IMO.

However, he is not an offensive coach. Mike McDaniel and Shanahan are offensive head coaches.

The Steelers should look around and find a good OC. Of course they will need a quarterback. Pickett is sinking fast.

I hope the Steelers never figure it out. I hope they swing and miss on every quarterback they select. I would love to see them bringing up the rear of the North.

Clemdawg #2045222 11/24/23 11:47 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love the fact that terrible towel nation is still falling apart over the fact that

DTR beat them !! The Defense and ST's won the battle !

They can't handle having a Browns fifth round QB pick ( who some seem to love to point out ) have a last drive come back win

I mentioned in another thread that I won't be surprised if Tomlin is not the HC in 24

I also won't be surprised if he is

Clemdawg #2045224 11/24/23 12:09 PM
Legend
Legend
"Great players make great coaches." Heard it when I was younger and I still see the varying degrees of truth in it. Separating coaches from their players is like trying "to separate the dancer from the dance." This seems to be a fitting situation. I always felt Tomlin inherited success and a ton of roster. He walked into winning culture and its framework.

It is possible to gag on your karma. Can't say I am sorry to see it. Might be downhill from here.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Clemdawg #2045227 11/24/23 12:30 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hey, I can’t stand TOMLIN THE OPPONENT, but Tomlin as a coach has earned my respect this year. they should be more like 2-8. Tomlin currently has an over 500 record with that team; that in it’s own right qualifies him for COY IMO.

Clemdawg #2045240 11/24/23 01:03 PM
Legend
Legend
How many coaches who have coached as long as he has have never had a losing season? Can't be many. He's got a tough Defense.. If he had a QB, watch out. He's coaching players he's given to coach.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Clemdawg #2045244 11/24/23 01:10 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah Tomlin is def. not the issue in pittsburgh.. the GM Khan is the issue. He is def. no Colbert. I can guarantee Tomlin isn't sweating anything. He'd have 10 offers in the first 2 seconds after the news of his firing broke.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Clemdawg #2045282 11/24/23 02:21 PM
Legend
Legend
I think Pickett is very average (really below average) and the warts really show when you have a bad QB

They lucked out getting to play Cincy twice without Burrow, and Arizona, and New England down the stretch here

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Clemdawg #2045290 11/24/23 03:04 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

"The Steelers' way is dying, and apathy is killing it."

I'm glad to see it

I can't stand Tomlin or the Steelers and how for so many years got away with crap like that

I'll take KS and his class over the classless Tomlin any day !

Hope they fall on their faces !

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Tomlin Op-ed

Link Copied to Clipboard