Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Dawgs4Life #2046325 11/28/23 12:03 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Yeah, we all knew the Dobbs thing wouldn't last. We still might be better off with him over PJ Walker (which means maybe we win in Seattle, but who knows)

I'm the biggest critic of having PJ Walker on the roster, and even I am starting to regret my criticism of the trade.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hammer #2046328 11/28/23 12:12 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Hammer
Thank God Berry was able to get a "six pack and a ham sandwich" for him.

Silence when he played great and led the Vikings to W's. Suddenly with one bad game the vultures feed. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2046332 11/28/23 12:28 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Silence from you as well when the apple turned for Joshua - and its been the last 2 games. For your reading pleasure:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...bbs-struggles-vs-bears-well-take-a-look/

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Yeah, we all knew the Dobbs thing wouldn't last. We still might be better off with him over PJ Walker (which means maybe we win in Seattle, but who knows)

I'm the biggest critic of having PJ Walker on the roster, and even I am starting to regret my criticism of the trade.

Replying to your comment but this isn't directed at you for the entire post...

But the issue wasn't Walker vs Dobbs. It was Dobbs vs DTR as far as the roster was concerned at the time. Hell, Walker wasn't even with the team when the trade was made. Signing him was a post-trade move when Mond was released and then Dobbs traded. This team has kept 2 QB on the active roster and one on the PS. It was due to DTR playing so well in the preseason and Dobbs being 'meh' that we'd probably not be able to cut DTR and get him on the PS. Then the Kyler issue of going to IR to start the season and getting a 5th for Dobbs was a pretty easy decision.

What happened in MIN after he was signed and played well that same week is a mirror image to what happened with Baker after CAR cut him and he played well the same week he was signed by LAR. Then many people on here started dropping freezing cold takes about how he is better than Watson and we should not have traded for him blah, blah, blah-- then Baker goes back to being Baker. Same song and dance here......Dobbs plays well one week after being 1-9 in his career and posters start dropping freezing cold takes about all of these 'what if' scenarios and' coulda, shoulda, wouldas'. And then, poof, Dobbs regresses and possibly goes to being benched again.

Again, Dobbs the person is awesome. But there are reasons he has been cut, signed, traded, cut, signed, traded, traded, etc. these past two seasons (not sure if this is the exact order).

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Hammer
PitDAWG #2046338 11/28/23 12:40 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Silence when he played great and led the Vikings to W's. Suddenly with one bad game the vultures feed. lol

Oh, the irony.

Tackles are tackles.
Hammer #2046339 11/28/23 12:41 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hey, he put up 20 points against the Broncos. But I know, being better then anything the Browns have put on the field at the QB position doesn't matter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Oh, the irony.

There is no irony. Dobbs actually played a few really good games. No Browns back up has actually done that. But I ubderstand the desperation involved in trying to paint a different picture.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
So the bottom line is they ditched Dobbs for Walker.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2046342 11/28/23 01:07 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
So the bottom line is they ditched Dobbs for Walker.

No. We ditched Dobbs for a 5th round pick and because of DTR.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually they also gave a 7th round pick. So what they did was give up Dobbs to upgrade a 7th round pick to a 5th round pick. That's not quite the same thing. It's kind of odd that P.J. Walker has been on the active roster for some time now even being the starter at one point and you don't think that makes any difference. Actually after the first game catastrophe of DTR starting they quickly moved on to P.J. Walker. Then that car wreck looked like crap too. And the results since going back to DTR hasn't changed. Banking on some fifth round rookie who was playing against guys who are now bagging groceries isn't the vote of confidence an NFL team should be making.

It's nice to try and develop a kid that has some skills and potential. But banking on him as your main insurance policy is moronic. And we all see the results of it.

#gmstrong
Dawgs4Life #2046351 11/28/23 01:58 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Sure, include the 7th all you'd like. The 5th was THE reason for the trade.

]It's kind of odd that P.J. Walker has been on the active roster for some time now even being the starter at one point and you don't think that makes any difference.

I said the trade wasn't about Walker vs Dobbs. I said it was because of DTR and Dobbs. And that's true. Walker wasn't even signed until after the trade was made. You are the one trying to say the deal was "bottom line" Dobbs for Walker, conveniently leaving out draft capital or what the team thought about DTR. So speaking of "making any difference"....

I suppose it boils down to the below and I'll leave it at this because I really don't feel like arguing just to help keep a boomer mentally active during your busy day......which scenario would you prefer out of that deal?

Dobbs, a 2-10 lifetime journeyman QB on a one-year deal, and a 2024 7th rounder.

OR

DTR, a 1-2 rookie QB with greater potential upside, and a 2024 5th rounder.

I think the answer is rather obvious and I think whoever thinks otherwise is, to put it mildly, idiotic.

Not for you, but I'm adding this so people know I've been consistent about my thoughts on this deal and not recreating a scenario.....this is from October 3rd:

IMO, we traded him because:

(1) The FO believed the difference between the two players' talent was not that big of a gap and preferred a younger guy with potential upside over a relatively known asset in Dobbs' skill set (this could end up being a wrong assessment by the FO).
(2) We got a decent draft capital upgrade back for Dobbs as far as journeymen backup QBs are concerned (wish we could have got a 3rd rounder like Dorsey forked over for Tyrod Taylor, tho! rofl ) #TrustTheGut
(3) If either of those guys are playing any significant time, it means Watson is most likely out for the year and the season is done for as far as playoffs are concerned.
(4) Trading Dobbs freed up more money to potentially rollover. It's a small amount as far as NFL contracts are concerned, and most likely not the main reason for the trade, but I think was weighed in to some degree.

LIke some reporters said, Terry PLuto specifically, they were not shopping Dobbs and had every intention to keep him. They liked the deal and the offseason progression of DTR. Plus, Dobbs was on a one-year deal. It's not like there was any long-term plans by the FO, or by him for that matter.
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthre...ch/true/re-postgame-thoughts#Post2032266

Point 1: There is nothing yet to indicate they have been wrong about this assessment, because we still know what Dobbs is and it's premature, as a rookie, to conclude any upside or lack thereof.
Point 3: We had Watson back for a few more games that helped the win total, but playoffs are very much still a concern considering the amount of backups we've need to use.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
For me, if we don't trade Dobbs, we don't have to sign/start Walker. That's been my hang-up when I Monday-Morning-QB that offseason trade. You can certainly make a good argument that Dobbs play probably would have had us in this exact same position, but maybe not. His familiarity with the O and not being asked to do as much might've resulted in better starts.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
For me, if we don't trade Dobbs, we don't have to sign/start Walker. That's been my hang-up when I Monday-Morning-QB that offseason trade. You can certainly make a good argument that Dobbs play probably would have had us in this exact same position, but maybe not. His familiarity with the O and not being asked to do as much might've resulted in better starts.

And how this team builds it's roster, it didn't want to risk losing DTR to another team by trying to put him on the PS resulting in possibly having to sign Walker (or someone like him) anyways.

I think the argument then becomes, well, the team should keep three QBs on the active roster, but I do not recall Berry doing that as GM. I'd also be curious to other team's SOP when it comes to keeping QBs with recent practice squad adjustments.

2023 QBs starting the season: Watson, Thompson-Robinson
2022 QBs starting the season: Brissett, Dobbs
2021 QBs starting the season: Mayfield, Keenum
2020 QBs starting the season: Mayfield, Keenum

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
P
Legend
Legend
P
No matter how you try and spin it, in the end they had Dobbs and the replacement for Dobbs was Walker. That directly connects the two. And also no matter how hard you try and spin it, the difference in the success rate of fifth round draft picks and seventh round draft picks are not all that statistically different.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2046356 11/28/23 02:16 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
And also no matter how hard you try and spin it

Oh, the irony.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, it is irony that you're the one posting that. We had Dobbs. Now instead we have P.J. Walker. I'm sorry that facts are not your friend.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Broncos 29 Other Games

Link Copied to Clipboard