Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just How Costly Have Turnovers Been For The Browns This Season?

Through 14 weeks the Browns are near the bottom of the league in turnover differential and opponents have made the most of their mistakes
SPENCER GERMANDEC 14, 2023 8:50 PM EST

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/how-costly-have-turnovers-been-for-browns

Turnovers and what a team does in the red zone on both sides of the ball, remain two of the key statistical indicators of just how good a team is. At 8-5 on the season though, the 2023 Browns have become an exception to the rule.

Through 14 weeks, Cleveland ranks 27th in the league in turnover differential, at a mark of -7 and it's not as if the Browns defense hasn't been taking the ball away.

That units 12 interceptions on the season are tied for 10th most in the NFL. An additional eight fumble recoveries are also near the top third of the league, tied with a handful of teams. The discrepancy stems largely from the Browns revolving door of quarterback play this season, which has featured the likes of Deshaun Watson, P.J. Walker, Dorian Thompson-Robinson and now Joe Flacco each start games for the Browns.

Each QB has been uniquely turnover prone, combining for 15 interceptions thrown – the second most in the league. Only the Las Vegas Raiders have more. Additionally, Cleveland's 12 fumbles are third worst, behind the Jets and Vikings.

Those turnover issues have had a ripple effect in the other key area mentioned above, the red zone, where the Browns defense currently ranks 28th in terms of touchdowns allowed on their opponents trips inside the 20. Cleveland is giving up touchdowns on 67.5-percent of those trips. For a defense that has been dominant in a number of other key areas, this figure stands out as blatant case of one of these things is not like the other.

It's not all their fault though.

Of the Browns 27 turnovers, 15 have resulted in their opponents scoring points off of them. In total, Cleveland has yielded a whopping 97 points off turnovers this season – that's more than one third of the points they've allowed this season. 21 of those points came off of plays that directly resulted in points for the opposing defense, including a pair of first play pick-sixes against the Steelers in Week Two and the Ravens in Week 10.

Of the other 12 turnovers that have led to points, 10 of them saw the opposing team set up for their next series on the Browns side of the field, six of them started inside their red zone. Another three started just shy of the 20. The average starting field position for Cleveland turnovers that led to points is the 26-yard line.

Essentially, these "gimmie" touchdowns and scoring opportunities in general have inflated the Browns points allowed and red zone scoring allowed numbers in a lopsided way. It's hard to completely blame the defense for giving up points on drives that are starting on Cleveland's side of the field. In today's NFL that's basically an automatic three considering how good kickers are these days.

Wherever this season is headed over the next four weeks and beyond, Cleveland's offense has to find a way to break these turnover trends. Giving teams extra possessions is generally a recipe to losing, but somehow it hasn't completely derailed the Browns season so far. Come January though, those blunders won't be quite as easy to overcome.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
It's amazing that we are winning.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
all that chit doesn't matter as long as you "prioritize winning"...

1 member likes this: Rishuz
Legend
Legend
it defies most football logic that we have had THAT many key injuries, THAT many turnovers, and are still 9-5

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
it defies most football logic that we have had THAT many key injuries, THAT many turnovers, and are still 9-5

It shows just how good this team is. If they can have a winning record, hopefully make the playoffs with 13 players on the IR and be near the bottom of the turnover battle if they can get healthy, keep the nucleus of this team together next year this team should be legit Super Bowl contenders.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Can you imagine if we were 90% healthy with Joe Flacco at the helm.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Can you imagine if we were 90% healthy with Joe Flacco at the helm.

I'd rather have Watson

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Wouldn't make a huge difference, I imagine, unless we stopped giving the ball away so often, oh, and cut our penalties by at least half. Just supposing here. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
To me it’s a testament to just how good the defense has been. Even with the points the offense is giving away, most games they can be counted on to keep it close. They’ve had some clunkers, sure, but most games we’re right there at the end, low hanging fruit for the offense to pluck.

Still, all these injuries and turnovers are going to catch up to us eventually. I’ve said it in each of the “how to win” threads the last several weeks… we have to stop turning the ball over. I love ‘ol Joe right now but he is a straight up river boat gambler with the long ball. He’s not going to stop slingin it. We’re going to continue to turn it over as long as he’s QB. But it’s going to be fun!

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
I hear ya Purp, but we have 9 wins with 3 games left. We could end up being 12 wins and playoff bound.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I hear ya Purp, but we have 9 wins with 3 games left. We could end up being 12 wins and playoff bound.

We could win the division. The rats still have to play the Dolphins and 49ers.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Just How Costly Have Turnovers Been For The Browns This Season?

Link Copied to Clipboard