Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
You probably still call people folks and watch 'programs' on TV. 🤣 😇

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This isn’t even counting the FBI is investigating the program.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
So he acted a lone wolf? Do you hear yourself? Who paid for these trips? His hotel expenses, food and travel? Yeah, the teams coaching staff had nothing to do with it. He just did all of that because it was a hobby of his. He gathered this film and kept it all to himself. rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So he acted a lone wolf? Do you hear yourself? Who paid for these trips? His hotel expenses, food and travel? Yeah, the teams coaching staff had nothing to do with it. He just did all of that because it was a hobby of his. He gathered this film and kept it all to himself. rofl

There is not a program in the NCAA that is not guilty of some kind of cheating. Really this is no issue. That is why the NCAA President said Michigan won the Natty fair and square.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Show me the evidence you have that "There is not a program in the NCAA that is not guilty of some kind of cheating."

I know of no other college football program being investigated based on actual evidence by both the NCAA and the FBI at this point in time, do you?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted by FATE
You probably still call people folks and watch 'programs' on TV. 🤣 😇

Grandma never missed her programs. “Days of Our Lives” every weekday. - Catch a wooden spoon if you dare try to watch Barnaby or Romper Room when it was her time to watch tv.

My kid had no clue what I meant I told her to put her Walkman away - iphone w/headphones.

1 member likes this: FATE
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Kalen DeBoer to Alabama to replace Saban.

Legend
Legend
rofl

Good stuff.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cle23
Kalen DeBoer to Alabama to replace Saban.

Nailed it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think it was a good hire. It is easier to win at Washington than it is at Alabama, but the Alabama mystique will also make his job of recruiting much easier.

That said, it is easier for a school like Alabama to be viewed at the top of the list as far as national ranking are concerned, so DeBoer had to have done a super job getting Washington in to the national spotlight.

None the less, it is going to be hard to fill the Saban shoes. I hope the Alabama fans and big boosters don't start to get irritated if and when the Tide doesn't start stacking SEC and national championships.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
From what I’ve been hearing, Pete Carrol is looking to stay in the game. I wonder if he’d ever return to cfb.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
From what I’ve been hearing, Pete Carrol is looking to stay in the game. I wonder if he’d ever return to cfb.

I think he would if he still wants to coach. He might be more inclined to go back to college. He is kind of a rah-rah coach. That plays better in the college ranks than the pro game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. Stallions was funded by a booster called "Uncle T." No reports yet on who that is, except a couple rumors. And I have no doubt he used or intended to use the information. What I have disputed, and what has been reported so far, is that the coaches and Harbaugh instructed him to do this. Every report I have seen so far says there is no evidence of that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So your opinion is he went and collected all of this film on opponents play calls without any instruction from or sharing that information with the coaching staff? None are so blind as those who refuse to see...... the obvious.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cle23

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. Stallions was funded by a booster called "Uncle T." No reports yet on who that is, except a couple rumors. And I have no doubt he used or intended to use the information. What I have disputed, and what has been reported so far, is that the coaches and Harbaugh instructed him to do this. Every report I have seen so far says there is no evidence of that.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
So your opinion is he went and collected all of this film on opponents play calls without any instruction from or sharing that information with the coaching staff? None are so blind as those who refuse to see...... the obvious.

You literally just told another poster to prove that other teams are cheating, and then continuously spew opinions as facts. Which is it?

I have continuously said that if they can prove that the coaches/team instructed Stallions to do this, then it would lead to more discipline. I also said that he probably used the information. His job was to scout opponents, and stealing signs is legal if done properly. So I do think it's possible that the coaching staff didn't know. I also think it's possible that they did know, but all reports I've seen so far have stated that the evidence doesn't show that they knew. If it's so easily proven, then all that should come out in time. So far, none of it has, which makes me think that it's very possible that the coaching staff wasn't involved.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe because no other teams have been accused or proven to have done so at this present time. Harbaugh served a three game suspension because it was proven. Obviously the way he stole signs was "not legal" or there would not have been such a suspension. You are also denying the obvious. We're not laughing with you.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Michigan's Jim Harbaugh seeking termination protection in potential new contract amid NCAA probes, per report

Harbaugh is reportedly seeking to insulate himself from potential NCAA penalties as negotiations continue

Jim Harbaugh is requesting contractual protection from potential NCAA punishment amid negotiations with Michigan as he simultaneously pursues NFL opportunities, according to Yahoo Sports. Harbaugh, 60, just led Michigan to its first national championship since 1997, but it was a tumultuous season off the field marked by two separate three-game suspensions for the Wolverines alum.

As part of a restructured deal with the school, Harbaugh is requesting wording that would keep him from being fired as a result of those matters. Both issues resulting in the suspensions remain under investigation by the NCAA, meaning Harbaugh could still face additional sanctions if he remains in college football.

The NCAA issued a notice of allegations in December that included a Level I allegation against Harbaugh for misleading investigators as it pertained to alleged recruiting violations. The Wolverines took the mitigating step of suspending Harbaugh for the first three games of the 2023 season, but it's uncertain whether that step will be enough to satisfy the NCAA.

Michigan also remains under investigation as it relates to the sign-stealing scandal that engulfed the program during the latter half of the 2023 season. In that case, the Big Ten issued a three-game suspension of Harbaugh covering the conclusion of the regular season. The NCAA has yet to rule on the matter, even though sources told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd in November that the case had been put on a "very fast timeline" by the organization.

The Los Angeles Chargers announced Sunday that they completed an interview with Harbaugh for their head-coaching vacancy. He could also be a candidate for other NFL openings.

If he does return to Michigan, Harbaugh will be working with a revamped roster following the departures of stars such as quarterback J.J. McCarthy, running Blake Corum and many others who have keyed the program's run of three straight Big Ten titles.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ew-contract-amid-ncaa-probes-per-report/

Innocent men don't ask for an immunity clause in their contract. Because if you're innocent you don't need one.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Maybe because no other teams have been accused or proven to have done so at this present time. Harbaugh served a three game suspension because it was proven. Obviously the way he stole signs was "not legal" or there would not have been such a suspension. You are also denying the obvious. We're not laughing with you.

Harbaugh did not serve a suspension because it was proven he knew or instructed Stallions. He served a 3 game suspension for being the head of the program, and it was proven that Stallions stole the signs illegally while part of the program.

As for the immunity you posted about, do innocent men plead the 5th? Do innocent men allow searches without a warrant? Smart ones don't. Harbaugh can be held liable even if they can't prove or find evidence that he instructed it because he is the head of the program. So given that these incidents are widely known BEFORE the contract would be signed, he would be incredibly stupid not to ask for some protection from situations that the University knows about before he signed. From the article you posted, he isn't asking for blanket immunity, just from being fired from the known investigation.

And for the 20th time, I am not ignoring the possibility that Harbaugh knew. He very well could have. But all reports have said there is no evidence. As much of a paper trail as there should be, I can't imagine that wouldn't have come out right away if he was instructing it.

Last edited by cle23; 01/16/24 04:35 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
An innocent man doesn't need an immunity clause in his contract.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Harbaugh to the Chargers, despite being offered the highest HC salary of all time. He's leaving a big steaming pile of crap in his wake.

ESPN

LOS ANGELES -- Jim Harbaugh is leaving the national champion Michigan Wolverines to coach the NFL's Los Angeles Chargers, the team announced Wednesday.

Harbaugh's deal is for five years, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

"The only job you start at the top is digging a hole, so we know we've got to earn our way," Harbaugh said in a statement. "... This organization is putting in the work -- investing capital, building infrastructure and doing everything within its power to win. Great effort equals great results, and we're just getting started."

EDITOR'S PICKS

Can Jim Harbaugh help the Chargers finally reach their potential?
52mMultiple Contributors

Sources: U-M focuses coaching search on Moore
3mChris Low

Tracking NFL head coach firings and hirings: Latest intel on all four open jobs
2hESPN staff
Harbaugh was considered among the most desirable candidates in this coaching cycle because of his success in both the college and professional levels. Since his head-coaching career began in 2006 at the University of San Diego, Harbaugh has had success at Stanford and Michigan, and in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers.

There's also Harbaugh's Chargers connection: He played quarterback for the team for two seasons (1999-2000).

"Jim Harbaugh is football personified, and I can think of no one better to lead the Chargers forward," owner Dean Spanos said in a statement. "The son of a coach, brother of a coach and father of a coach who himself was coached by names like Schembechler and Ditka, for the past two decades Jim has led hundreds of men to success everywhere he's been -- as their coach. And today, Jim Harbaugh returns to the Chargers, this time as our coach. Who has it better than us?"

Spanos cited the rallying cry that Harbaugh leaned on during this season at Michigan, when he would yell, "Who's got it better than us?" to players. It's a phrase he got from his father, Jack, as a reminder to be grateful.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Gotta git while the gittin's good.

I wonder why he was asking michigan for a guaranteed, no fire, contract? Does Pete Carroll ring a bell?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think everyone but cle23 knows why. Innocent people don't ask for an immunity clause in their contract.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

There is not a program in the NCAA that is not guilty of some kind of cheating. Really this is no issue. That is why the NCAA President said Michigan won the Natty fair and square.

I think it has more to do with the fact that with NIL now, he (NCAA pres) knows what a toothless institution the NCAA is. Now he's kowtowing to the people that allow him to continue to get paid to do next to nothing while also pretending that his word (as NCAA president) still carries weight. He "allowed them to play," why on earth would he contradict that decision by saying otherwise? This wasn't a decision based on fairness or the rules, it was based on numbers after dollar signs. Michigan had too much money to throw into continuing litigation and the NCAA pursuing it could quite possibly have led to that body's dissolution.

I'd argue that everybody cheating would be more of an issue than just Michigan getting caught doing it. "Really this is no issue" feels like a bad case of rationalization.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
What Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan means for NCAA investigations as Sherrone Moore takes over as coach

Current and future Wolverines teams could avoid the toughest penalties from multiple NCAA cases

Michigan has named Sherrone Moore as the successor to Jim Harbaugh, answering the biggest question lingering over the future of Wolverines football. Moore's promotion from offensive coordinator comes after he went 4-0 as acting head coach in the 2023 regular season, first serving as one of a rotating cast of interim coaches and then getting the nod for the final three games as Harbaugh served a Big Ten-imposed suspension. He played a huge role in establishing Michigan's identity for its championship run as offensive line coach, and now Moore takes the helm at a point where the Wolverines' stock is as high as it's been at any point in the 21st Century coming off its first national title win since 1997.

Moore also takes the helm as the program is still in the midst of two NCAA investigations. According to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, these ongoing probes are a big reason why Harbaugh's contract negotiations with Michigan included immunity from being terminated in the event he faces major NCAA violations.

Harbaugh's gone now, however. Moore has already served a one-game suspension as part of Michigan's self-imposed penalties for the first investigation, but there could be more penalties from that case that he will now have to deal with as head coach. There is also the potential for the NCAA's second case, the sign-stealing scandal, to reach Moore's doorstep as the enforcement department tries to determine how many -- if any at all -- Michigan coaches were aware of Connor Stalions' prohibited in-person scouting scheme.

Either way, Moore, now as head coach, will have to lead Michigan through whatever punishments or penalties come from the NCAA as a result of these two ongoing investigations. So what can we expect, and when will we see a resolution for the Wolverines?

Two NCAA cases on different timelines

Michigan received a formal notice of allegations for the first case on Dec. 20, 2023. The program was charged with four Level II violations for illicit recruiting and coaching during the COVID-19 dead period, and Harbaugh faces a Level I violation for misleading investigators. The school self-imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh at the beginning of the season as well as a one-game suspension for Moore to try and mitigate the fallout from any potential penalties, but the NCAA Committee on Infractions rejected a negotiated resolution proposal. That means the case will go through the NCAA's judicial process.

Then there's a second -- and much more controversial -- investigation tied to prohibited off-campus scouting and sign-stealing. The NCAA has yet to issue an official notice of allegations, though reports surrounding the scandal suggests that that more violations are coming.

Among those potential infractions is a Level I violation for Harbaugh under coach responsibility provision, which was updated in January 2023. The updated interpretation holds a head coach accountable for any actions of his/her staff that lead to Level I violations. That updated coach responsibility provision reportedly played a big role in why Harbaugh's agent requested to update the language of his contract with Michigan. So if Connor Stalions -- the staff member who allegedly guided the prohibited scouting operation -- or any other assistant coach is charged with a Level I violation, Harbaugh could be held accountable as well.

Harbaugh sitting the final three games of the 2023 regular season -- wins against Penn State, Maryland and Ohio State -- was the result of punishment from the Big Ten for a violation of its sportsmanship policy. Michigan could argue the suspension serves as a mitigating factor in the case, but officially, it is the three-game suspension at the beginning of the season, not the end, that's tied to NCAA issues.

Potential penalties for Harbaugh

Individually, each of these investigations could have resulted in another suspension for Harbaugh in the 2024 season under the coach responsibility provision. But stacked on top of each other, the NCAA could have charged Harbaugh as a repeat offender, which is an additional Level I violation. Multiple Level I violations for a head coach have, in the past, led to the NCAA issuing a "show-cause" punishment.

The show-cause greatly restricts an individual's ability to coach at an NCAA institution for a set period of time, requiring that school to "show cause" for employing an individual with a history of violations by making them agree to NCAA punishments. When the NCAA handed down repercussions in Tennessee's recruiting violations case, former coach Jeremy Pruitt received a six-year show-cause that triggered a mandatory a one-year suspension should he be hired before the show-cause expires. A show-cause does not prevent a coach from returning to an NCAA school eventually; Houston men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson (five years), Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl (three years) and UCLA football coach Chip Kelly (18 months) all spent time away from college coaching during a show-cause period.

Kelly's case most resembles what could be in store for Harbaugh. The penalties the NCAA could reasonably hand down would likely end up running their course all during his time in the NFL, similar to how Kelly's show-cause expired while he was coaching the Philadelphia Eagles and San Fransisco 49ers.

If Harbaugh were still at Michigan when he received a show-cause penalty or suspension that extended through an entire season, the school would have been forced to decide whether it was comfortable trying to navigate an extended period of time with an interim coach leading the way. Harbaugh staying with Michigan might not have created additional exposure as much as an awkward environment where university leadership had to stand behind a national championship-winning coach who was prevented from coaching due to NCAA violations.

Harbaugh leaving for the NFL, it seems, saved Michigan from making some of those tough choices. But it has not saved the Wolverines from facing punishments in both NCAA cases.

What Michigan can expect

Well aware of the specifics around the Level II recruiting and coaching violations from the first investigation, Michigan will not be caught off-guard by the results of the judicial process. With self-imposed penalties already in place, that case presents no real challenge to the legacy of the Wolverines' recent success.

But there are a lot of questions to answer for the prohibited in-person scouting and sign-stealing investigation. Will the NCAA be able to connect the alleged scheme to other members of the Michigan staff? Will any of those staff members still be employed by the Wolverines when the NCAA issues a notice of allegations?

We already saw one wave of staff shake-ups with Stalions' resignation and linebackers coach Chris Partridge's firing two weeks later. Though the school didn't comment on the move or release any details, the timing of Partridge's firing fell in line with Michigan backing down from its legal challenge to Harbaugh's late-season three-game suspension. Partridge vigorously denied reports of foul play on his part, but officially he can be counted as another casualty of the scandal.

According to ESPN, the Big Ten's decision to move forward with punishment for Harbaugh under the sportsmanship policy came in part from "information gleaned in NCAA interviews." Michigan's change in tone from defiance to acceptance was not an admission of guilt, but it implied the NCAA's case had enough evidence to be taken seriously.

Sending a staff member to attend home games of future opponents for the purposes of scouting and sign stealing is against NCAA rules. It is sensible to expect violations and punishments to come from the case, but Michigan can take some comfort in two things: First, many potentially connected to the scheme will be somewhere else. Second, the NCAA's approach on how punishments impact current players has softened in recent years.

Postseason bans have been less frequent, eliminating the shameful situation of current athletes — sometimes in the midst of a season — paying the price for a scandal that occurred before their arrival at the school. The coaching staff may have to deal with a few less scholarships or restricted days for recruiting and scouting, but the punishment is not likely to be a heavy tax on the current or future Wolverines.

The biggest X-factor here is vacated wins. It is impossible for us to know the extent of the evidence until the notice of allegations is released, but Michigan will likely do as much as it can to prevent a sullying of their championship run in the record books.

Michigan should (and likely will) provide its case that whatever edge it gained from the prohibited scouting was not significant enough to put results in doubt, pointing to late-season, post-scandal success in 2023 against the toughest teams on its schedule. That seems like a fair argument, but what matters is whether it is enough for the NCAA, which might not be able to punish Harbaugh in the NFL but still can issue a crushing blow to the Wolverines in the record books.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...Z05XTNhpDwQyhS6vxPmn6ea87ohhjHvFt3VMq6tM

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Generic College Football Discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard