Next Thread
Print Thread
#2059070 02/11/24 10:38 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
So I'm sure that it'll come as a surprise that I kinda messed up yesterday. The cervezas were going down easy. I doordashed our superbowl spread and let's just say that I didn't put anything in the fridge. I'm sure the cheese and other dips will be fine. However, it's the frozen popcorn shrimp that I'm worried about. It came frozen and sat in my kitchen overnight. It isn't too hot or cold in the kitchen. I was able to get it in the fridge by 8 this morning. I plan on giving it a try but my wife says "no way". Your thoughts? Can I eat it without reservation?

R
Legend
Legend
R
I always err on the side of caution for stuff like that.

But I’m also the guy that won’t eat a bite of anything past the due date.

If you’re having guests over I wouldn’t risk getting them sick.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
No guests tonight, however I think that I’m the only one willing to give it a try. If all else fails, the stray cats and raccoons will have a decent superbowl meal.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm pretty cautious with things like fish and seafood especially. Not so much with leftover pizza that sat on the counter overnight. Close call but I wouldn't trust the shrimp.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I tend to push the limits on foods, but shrimp I'm probably not eating if it's at room temp that long... I think the recommendation is about 2 hours and I'd probably push to 3 maybe 4, but overnight I'm, unfortunately, not touching...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Frozen popcorn shrimp meaning breaded? If so, that stuff can sit out 'til tomorrow and still be fine for consumption. The breading is #1 -- a barrier to bacteria / #2 -- contains a ###load of salt, which fights and kills bacteria. I would not hesitate to use it, with or without guests. The biggest concern is that is was probably supposed to be cooked from frozen and may turn out crappy if not returned to frozen first. That's 40 years of foodservice experience speaking. RAW shrimp, naked, different story, but still *probably okay (I'd have to see, feel and smell).

I would be more concerned with dips that contain milk or milk by-products.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
If anyone would know you're probably the most qualified person on the board to ask.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Duly noted Fate. And thanks x1,000,000!

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Awesome, enjoy your party.

I would like to say for the sake of clarity... I'm probably exaggerating when I way "could sit out 'til tomorrow' lol, that would depend on a few variables. I just want you to know that they are perfectly fine today based on almost any variables. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
If it was frozen when delivered, I wouldn't worry, unless it sat out all day yesterday also. People are a little too anal over this stuff. We've been thawing out Thanksgiving turkeys on the kitchen counter for 3 generations and no ones gotten sick that I can remember.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Yes people go waay overboard.

Everyone hates buying the turkey early because it hogs so much reefer space.

My Turkey hack: Buy it a week before and leave it outside in a cooler (not in the sun though, duh, garage is a good choice). The Turkey itself keeps the temp in the cooler fairly stable... stable meaning cold as heck. I'll then check it on Tuesday and decide if the cooler needs to come inside for the last two days. The answer is usually yes.

* to clarify -- just the turkey in the cooler. No ice necessary.

Last edited by FATE; 02/11/24 01:51 PM.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Thanks gents.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Cheese will be OK. The other dips, which are mostly mayo or sour cream based, toss them.

The shrimp needs to be used for fishing bait.

If you want to eat it, that is your choice. Don't serve it to unsuspecting people. Others shouldn't get sick because of your desire to not throw way possibly tainted food.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
It was just the 3 of us. - Wife kid and I. We ordered some more food and included a new, frozen shrimp ring. I’m the only one who ate the popcorn shrimp. I think that I’m ok. I mean, a little hallucination and stomach pain but overall doing ok. 😆 just kidding.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
P
Legend
Legend
P
FATE has been in the food industry for a very long time and knows what's safe and what's not. Taking his advice on the topic was the best thing you could have done. Even I had my opinion about it but just like Peen, I'm no expert on the topic. I'm glad you enjoyed the shrimp and didn't end up wasting it.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Food Left Out.. Ok to eat?

Link Copied to Clipboard