Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So he flirted with them for years but marries them when he is being investigated by the NCAA. Most would call that a marriage of convenience. There is no rational explanation for someone who is innocent wanting an immunity clause. Unless of course he has done something he needs immunity from.

One thing nobody can accuse you of is refusing to go down with the ship.

It's been known for years that Harbaugh wants a Super Bowl. He also wanted to Championship at Michigan. He achieved the later, at a program that had been below their own standards for 15ish years. He's 60. If he wants a Super Bowl, he doesn't have forever. He and his wife also love the west coast. He played for the Chargers to end his career. He is walking into a team with a franchise QB with a chance to compete right away.

But yes, it's because of the investigation. One in which the NCAA president said Michigan's championship isn't tainted. And there is no logical reason to you, a completely biased troll. If he had asked for immunity for future problems, I would agree with you. But for something that is going on now and has been known for months, it makes sense.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
I'm copy/pasting this top portion of information from a site.

2022 – OSU took 4 players from the portal
2023 – OSU took 9 players from the portal
2024 – OSU took 6 players from the portal

Here's the top 15 for 2024, per ON3 portal rankings:

1. Louisville = 24 transfers in
2. Colorado = 22 transfers in
3. Ole Miss = 15 transfers in
4. FSU = 14 transfers in
5. South Carolina = 18 transfers in
6. NC State = 11 transfers in
7. California = 13 transfers in
8. Texas = 8 transfers in
9. Oregon = 10 transfers in
10. Missouri = 10 transfers in
11. Wisconsin = 12 transfers in
12. Miami = 10 transfers in
13. Syracuse = 11 transfers in
14. Kentucky = 10 transfers in
15. OSU = 6 transfers in

-------

I really wouldn't call them the Yankees. FSU, Miami, A&M in previous years have spent a bunch on recruits. Rumors of Ole Miss spent a bunch on the portal.

I obviously don't know what was spent, however regarding Sayin and Downs were almost Buckeyes during the recruiting process.

It's not even the total number of players brought in. It's that OSU has spent over $13M on NIL. Downs was reportedly offered between $2-3M to come to OSU. They are paying top dollar to the "best" transfer players. Just like the Yankees always have done with top FA.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So he waited until he was under an NCAA investigation and was demanding an immunity clause in his contract to make his move to the NFL? How much ocean front property have you purchased in Arizona over the course of your life? The Chargers were 5-12 this season. Stop convincing yourself he's on the road to a SB. Timing is everything and you totally ignore every circumstance surrounding the timing. But whatever you need to convince yourself of in order to feel better about it I suppose.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
So he waited until he was under an NCAA investigation and was demanding an immunity clause in his contract to make his move to the NFL? How much ocean front property have you purchased in Arizona over the course of your life? The Chargers were 5-12 this season. Stop convincing yourself he's on the road to a SB. Timing is everything and you totally ignore every circumstance surrounding the timing. But whatever you need to convince yourself of in order to feel better about it I suppose.

The Chargers were picked by some to overtake the Chiefs in the division before the season. The talent is there, but they did greatly underachieve this year. He will have a franchise QB. He will have a very talented team. He has a CHANCE to win a Super Bowl. Honestly, odds are that he won't just given the difficulty of getting to and winning one.

As far as the immunity clause, innocent coaches do have a reason to ask, because innocent coaches can be held liable even if they did know nothing about it. I know you'll never believe he didn't know. But for argument sake, let's say it's proven he didn't. He can still be suspended or fired for it as the head of the program because they then claim it is the HC responsibility to know. I know the reasoning behind establishing the rule so a HC can't just always throw random people under the bus, but it does lead to some negative factors there as well.

For the millionth time, I do think there is a possibility that Harbaugh knew. I, probably biasedly, don't think he did, and also am going with reports so far that say there isn't evidence that he knew. But I can acknowledge the possibility. You can't even remotely entertain the possibility that he didn't know, and also that he could have went to the NFL for any other reason than the investigation. You ignore the 100 other factors and say "Nope, this is definitely the one reason."

Last edited by cle23; 01/26/24 06:24 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
None are so blind as those who refuse to see. Are you preparing your excuses for Harbaugh once the NCAA sanctions Michigan? Better get prepared to make excuses for that as well. We both know that's coming your way.

Yeah, the fact that Harbaugh has already been suspended and the NCAA was breathing down his neck had nothing to do with his departure. rofl

Harbaugh doesn't have to worry about you leaving him or stop loving him. He has you roped in hook, line and sinker.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Has there ever been a team that wins the Natty and I think we are around 80% or so of the staff leaves a couple weeks later?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Has there ever been a team that wins the Natty and I think we are around 80% or so of the staff leaves a couple weeks later?

80%? Harbaugh and Minter so far, plus it's assumed Jay Harbaugh will leave. Granted big names in the HC, DC, and ST coordinator. But nowhere near 80% at this point unless a bunch more leave in the next couple weeks. Obviously Moore is staying. The only other major coach I've seen rumored to leave is Mike Hart, and I saw it right after Harbaugh went to LA and haven't seen anything else since then. My main concern at this point is keeping Ben Herbert.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan means for NCAA investigations as Sherrone Moore takes over as coach

Current and future Wolverines teams could avoid the toughest penalties from multiple NCAA cases

Michigan has named Sherrone Moore as the successor to Jim Harbaugh, answering the biggest question lingering over the future of Wolverines football. Moore's promotion from offensive coordinator comes after he went 4-0 as acting head coach in the 2023 regular season, first serving as one of a rotating cast of interim coaches and then getting the nod for the final three games as Harbaugh served a Big Ten-imposed suspension. He played a huge role in establishing Michigan's identity for its championship run as offensive line coach, and now Moore takes the helm at a point where the Wolverines' stock is as high as it's been at any point in the 21st Century coming off its first national title win since 1997.

Moore also takes the helm as the program is still in the midst of two NCAA investigations. According to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, these ongoing probes are a big reason why Harbaugh's contract negotiations with Michigan included immunity from being terminated in the event he faces major NCAA violations.

Harbaugh's gone now, however. Moore has already served a one-game suspension as part of Michigan's self-imposed penalties for the first investigation, but there could be more penalties from that case that he will now have to deal with as head coach. There is also the potential for the NCAA's second case, the sign-stealing scandal, to reach Moore's doorstep as the enforcement department tries to determine how many -- if any at all -- Michigan coaches were aware of Connor Stalions' prohibited in-person scouting scheme.

Either way, Moore, now as head coach, will have to lead Michigan through whatever punishments or penalties come from the NCAA as a result of these two ongoing investigations. So what can we expect, and when will we see a resolution for the Wolverines?

Two NCAA cases on different timelines

Michigan received a formal notice of allegations for the first case on Dec. 20, 2023. The program was charged with four Level II violations for illicit recruiting and coaching during the COVID-19 dead period, and Harbaugh faces a Level I violation for misleading investigators. The school self-imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh at the beginning of the season as well as a one-game suspension for Moore to try and mitigate the fallout from any potential penalties, but the NCAA Committee on Infractions rejected a negotiated resolution proposal. That means the case will go through the NCAA's judicial process.

Then there's a second -- and much more controversial -- investigation tied to prohibited off-campus scouting and sign-stealing. The NCAA has yet to issue an official notice of allegations, though reports surrounding the scandal suggests that that more violations are coming.

Among those potential infractions is a Level I violation for Harbaugh under coach responsibility provision, which was updated in January 2023. The updated interpretation holds a head coach accountable for any actions of his/her staff that lead to Level I violations. That updated coach responsibility provision reportedly played a big role in why Harbaugh's agent requested to update the language of his contract with Michigan. So if Connor Stalions -- the staff member who allegedly guided the prohibited scouting operation -- or any other assistant coach is charged with a Level I violation, Harbaugh could be held accountable as well.

Harbaugh sitting the final three games of the 2023 regular season -- wins against Penn State, Maryland and Ohio State -- was the result of punishment from the Big Ten for a violation of its sportsmanship policy. Michigan could argue the suspension serves as a mitigating factor in the case, but officially, it is the three-game suspension at the beginning of the season, not the end, that's tied to NCAA issues.

Potential penalties for Harbaugh

Individually, each of these investigations could have resulted in another suspension for Harbaugh in the 2024 season under the coach responsibility provision. But stacked on top of each other, the NCAA could have charged Harbaugh as a repeat offender, which is an additional Level I violation. Multiple Level I violations for a head coach have, in the past, led to the NCAA issuing a "show-cause" punishment.

The show-cause greatly restricts an individual's ability to coach at an NCAA institution for a set period of time, requiring that school to "show cause" for employing an individual with a history of violations by making them agree to NCAA punishments. When the NCAA handed down repercussions in Tennessee's recruiting violations case, former coach Jeremy Pruitt received a six-year show-cause that triggered a mandatory a one-year suspension should he be hired before the show-cause expires. A show-cause does not prevent a coach from returning to an NCAA school eventually; Houston men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson (five years), Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl (three years) and UCLA football coach Chip Kelly (18 months) all spent time away from college coaching during a show-cause period.

Kelly's case most resembles what could be in store for Harbaugh. The penalties the NCAA could reasonably hand down would likely end up running their course all during his time in the NFL, similar to how Kelly's show-cause expired while he was coaching the Philadelphia Eagles and San Fransisco 49ers.

If Harbaugh were still at Michigan when he received a show-cause penalty or suspension that extended through an entire season, the school would have been forced to decide whether it was comfortable trying to navigate an extended period of time with an interim coach leading the way. Harbaugh staying with Michigan might not have created additional exposure as much as an awkward environment where university leadership had to stand behind a national championship-winning coach who was prevented from coaching due to NCAA violations.

Harbaugh leaving for the NFL, it seems, saved Michigan from making some of those tough choices. But it has not saved the Wolverines from facing punishments in both NCAA cases.

What Michigan can expect

Well aware of the specifics around the Level II recruiting and coaching violations from the first investigation, Michigan will not be caught off-guard by the results of the judicial process. With self-imposed penalties already in place, that case presents no real challenge to the legacy of the Wolverines' recent success.

But there are a lot of questions to answer for the prohibited in-person scouting and sign-stealing investigation. Will the NCAA be able to connect the alleged scheme to other members of the Michigan staff? Will any of those staff members still be employed by the Wolverines when the NCAA issues a notice of allegations?

We already saw one wave of staff shake-ups with Stalions' resignation and linebackers coach Chris Partridge's firing two weeks later. Though the school didn't comment on the move or release any details, the timing of Partridge's firing fell in line with Michigan backing down from its legal challenge to Harbaugh's late-season three-game suspension. Partridge vigorously denied reports of foul play on his part, but officially he can be counted as another casualty of the scandal.

According to ESPN, the Big Ten's decision to move forward with punishment for Harbaugh under the sportsmanship policy came in part from "information gleaned in NCAA interviews." Michigan's change in tone from defiance to acceptance was not an admission of guilt, but it implied the NCAA's case had enough evidence to be taken seriously.

Sending a staff member to attend home games of future opponents for the purposes of scouting and sign stealing is against NCAA rules. It is sensible to expect violations and punishments to come from the case, but Michigan can take some comfort in two things: First, many potentially connected to the scheme will be somewhere else. Second, the NCAA's approach on how punishments impact current players has softened in recent years.

Postseason bans have been less frequent, eliminating the shameful situation of current athletes — sometimes in the midst of a season — paying the price for a scandal that occurred before their arrival at the school. The coaching staff may have to deal with a few less scholarships or restricted days for recruiting and scouting, but the punishment is not likely to be a heavy tax on the current or future Wolverines.

The biggest X-factor here is vacated wins. It is impossible for us to know the extent of the evidence until the notice of allegations is released, but Michigan will likely do as much as it can to prevent a sullying of their championship run in the record books.

Michigan should (and likely will) provide its case that whatever edge it gained from the prohibited scouting was not significant enough to put results in doubt, pointing to late-season, post-scandal success in 2023 against the toughest teams on its schedule. That seems like a fair argument, but what matters is whether it is enough for the NCAA, which might not be able to punish Harbaugh in the NFL but still can issue a crushing blow to the Wolverines in the record books.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...Z05XTNhpDwQyhS6vxPmn6ea87ohhjHvFt3VMq6tM

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by cle23

80%? Harbaugh and Minter so far, plus it's assumed Jay Harbaugh will leave. Granted big names in the HC, DC, and ST coordinator. But nowhere near 80% at this point unless a bunch more leave in the next couple weeks. Obviously Moore is staying. The only other major coach I've seen rumored to leave is Mike Hart, and I saw it right after Harbaugh went to LA and haven't seen anything else since then. My main concern at this point is keeping Ben Herbert.

Yes, after going back to what I read, I was wrong in my percentage. Apologies for bad information.

This is what I read earlier:

From reading Michigan boards:

Grant Newsome and Mike Elston will be a battle to keep, Harbaugh loves both.

Mike Hart was not at Moore’s introductory press conference or the championship parade, they believe he’s out.

S&C coach Ben Herbert is in wait and see mode. Moore confident he can keep him but it’s not a done deal.

B
Legend
Legend
B
For OSU fans, a whole lot of time is being spent talking Michigan football.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
For Gator fans, most of the talk is wondering when they'll reach the ever-elusive .500 season. poke

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Nah, we're talking about Michigan cheating.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

That is my thing, I really, really hate cheaters. Especially when initially some in the media claimed it gave no advantage. I thought, then why do it?

I hate crooked cops, judges, bosses, employees, politicians. Even relatives who take advantage of family. I hate people that abuse power or take advantage of situations meant to help other people.

I'm done, but really hate cheaters, regardless of who it is.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

That is my thing, I really, really hate cheaters. Especially when initially some in the media claimed it gave no advantage. I thought, then why do it?

I hate crooked cops, judges, bosses, employees, politicians. Even relatives who take advantage of family. I hate people that abuse power or take advantage of situations meant to help other people.

I'm done, but really hate cheaters, regardless of who it is.

I dislike cheaters. I hate hypocrites. Michigan (fans) always seems to have a holier than thou attitude which rubs me the wrong way at the best of times. Their current situation of being surrounded by non-stop scandal isn't the best of times. Lots of Ohio State fans (and coaches [Urban]) are arrogant pricks, but at least most of them seem willing to admit it (or revel in it.) Honestly, it rather turns me off, too, but "group membership" is hard to let go of.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
P
Legend
Legend
P

naughtydevil

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
UCLA coach Chip Kelly expected to become Ohio State offensive coordinator after informing Bruins of departure - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...tor-after-informing-bruins-of-departure/

UCLA coach Chip Kelly is departing the program after six seasons, the school announced Friday, with the expectation that he will become the next offensive coordinator at Ohio State, according to multiple reports. The Buckeyes hired Bill O'Brien in January to lead the offense, but O'Brien is now nearing a deal to become the next coach at Boston College, an unexpected vacancy itself after coach Jeff Hafley left to become the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator.

"I want to sincerely thank Chip for his service to UCLA Football and our student-athletes across the past six seasons and wish the best to him and his wife Jill moving forward," UCLA athletic director Martin Jarmond said in a statement.

Kelly, who has a reported buyout of $1.5 million, leaves Los Angeles with a 35-34 overall record just as the Bruins prepare to join Ohio State in the Big Ten in time for the 2024 season. UCLA peaked with nine wins under Kelly in 2022. He previously had a run as the coach at Oregon -- also Big Ten bound this offseason -- from 2009-12 that included a BCS National Championship appearance in 2010.

In heading to Ohio State, Kelly would reunite with Buckeyes coach Ryan Day, who played at New Hampshire during Kelly's lengthy run there as an assistant. The two have also coached together on multiple occasions, most recently in 2016 during Kelly's lone season guiding the NFL's San Francisco 49ers. Day served as San Francisco's quarterbacks coach that year.

If hired by the Buckeyes, Kelly -- once seen as arguably the most innovative offensive mind in the sport -- will be tasked with turning around an offense that took a step back (by recent standards) in 2023. The Buckeyes averaged fewer than 40 points per game for the first time since 2016, and while they still won 11 games, they fell to rival Michigan for the third straight year and watched the Wolverines go on to win the Big Ten title and, this time, the national title. Mounting pressure and scrutiny led to Day taking actions that included handing off play-calling duties and adding a handful of key players via the transfer portal in hopes of a bounce-back 2024 campaign.

UCLA latest to face unexpected coaching search
With Kelly exiting Westwood, another sitting power-conference coach has left on his own terms. It's a theme that's become more prevalent since the start of the new year. UCLA becomes the sixth power-conference school since early January to see its coach either step away from the game or leave for another opportunity, a streak that began with Nick Saban's retirement from Alabama. The Crimson Tide subsequently hired Washington's Kalen DeBoer as Saban's replacement, prompting Arizona coach Jedd Fisch to leave for the Huskies.

Outside of the Saban domino effect, Michigan saw Jim Harbaugh leave to become the new coach of the NFL's Los Angeles Chargers, that on the heels of guiding the Wolverines for their first national title since 1997. Then came Hafley's unexpected departure from Boston College for the Packers staff.

Kelly and Hafley aren't the only sitting FBS coaches to leave for assistant jobs this winter, either. Alabama, after hiring DeBoer, poached Kane Wommack from South Alabama and Maurice Linguist from Buffalo to fill roles on DeBoer's new defensive staff.

What was already set to be an offseason of transition for UCLA is now even more complex. The Bruins are one of four schools leaving the Pac-12 for the Big Ten this summer, joined by Oregon, Washington and crosstown rival USC. Not only does UCLA now have to find a new coach, but there are also questions surrounding what it could mean for the Bruins roster. UCLA players will be afforded a special 30-day window to enter the transfer portal without penalty due to a coaching change. (The university's quarter doesn't end until March 22.) The school said Friday that a national search for Kelly's replacement is already underway.

"It is imperative that we support our student-athletes and put them in the best position to succeed," Jarmond said. "UCLA is a special place, and we are confident we will find a leader for our football program who develops young men on and off the field and embodies our True Bruin Values."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think Kelly is a solid offensive mind. Very creative. It should be a good hire.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://theathletic.com/5262924/2024/02/09/michigan-defensive-coordinator-wink-martindale/

Michigan hires Wink Martindale as their defensive coordinator.
Should make for some fun match-ups in the coming years

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Chip Kelly just wants to coach ball, but his exit from UCLA is concerning amid college football's hazy future - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ning-amid-college-footballs-hazy-future/

Chip Kelly wanted out. Not just out of UCLA, but out of being a college-level head coach. How else can you reasonably explain his decision to give up a $6 million salary for the 2024 season and the $4 million buyout he would've received after he was (likely) fired following that season ... all to reportedly become the offensive coordinator at Ohio State?

The opportunity for such a stunning move wouldn't have been there at all if Bill O'Brien hadn't left Ohio State to become the Boston College coach. But with Kelly's reported interest in NFL offensive coordinator gigs ultimately not reciprocated, the Buckeyes are a good enough landing spot to get out of dodge.

Yes, Ohio State will pay Kelly well, but it won't pay him nearly as much as the $10 million he'd have received just waiting for the other shoe to drop in Westwood. Kelly has made plenty of money as a coach at the college and NFL levels, but you only walk away from $10 million with the proper motivation to do so.

There will be plenty of reasons given for why Kelly decided to leave, and most will have validity. UCLA may be getting more money in the future from its new life in the Big Ten, but right now it doesn't have the money to compete at the top of the conference. UCLA's crosstown rival USC saw the fantastic job D'Anton Lynn did as Kelly's defensive coordinator and decided it wanted him. All it had to do was double Lynn's salary, and he was a Trojan.

And just in case being unable to compete financially to keep Kelly's staff intact wasn't enough, UCLA has struggled to compete on the name, image and likeness (NIL) front as well, making it harder to keep players in blue and gold.

While those are valid reasons and undoubtedly played a role, I'll never be convinced that Kelly's ultimate motivation isn't that he simply wants to coach football.

Following the 2017 season, two programs were reportedly going after Kelly: Florida and UCLA. Florida fans seemed convinced Kelly would come to Gainesville because why on Earth would a football coach choose UCLA over Florida? You can win national titles at Florida!

I wrote at the time that Kelly was more likely to end up at UCLA. He's always been an offensive innovator. Even when his Oregon teams were at their peak, he seemed more interested in drawing up plays than recruiting kids to play in his offense. His approach to recruiting didn't make sense for what Florida wanted, as Dan Mullen later found out, and UCLA felt like a better fit for Kelly.

Things have changed a lot since then. When Kelly took the UCLA job, there wasn't a transfer portal. There wasn't NIL. There weren't conference games against Rutgers. All of those things exist now, and yes, there are a lot of football coaches who don't enjoy this new college football landscape. The complaints about being more of a cat wrangler than a football coach are well-founded.

This doesn't mean college football has a coaching crisis. We will not see coaches leave their high-paid positions for lesser titles and lower salaries in droves. While some may want to, they all need somebody on the other end offering them the job to pull it off. However, the start of 2024 has been a whirlwind. Nick Saban, the greatest college coach of all time, retired. Jim Harbaugh won a national title and bolted for the NFL, taking a significant portion of his coaching staff with him. Boston College's Jeff Hafley willingly packed up his office and went to Green Bay to be a defensive coordinator.

Now Kelly is doing the same thing, but he's not leaving for the NFL. He's not even leaving his conference.

All have different reasons for doing what they did, but you're kidding yourself if you pretend the uncertain future of college sports doesn't play a role in each of their choices. Not every symptom is a sign of a deadly disease, but it's a symptom of something all the same.

Chip Kelly wanted out, and he isn't the only one.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State Buckeyes

Link Copied to Clipboard