Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
I’m saying it could have been eradicated, but it’s too late now. “Basically” lol .. because of the anti vaccination folks.

Aaaand more fake news. Keep making a fool of yourself, we'll all pop some popcorn in the name of #SpiralsScienceClass #JohnsHopkinsIsConfused

There are a number of factors that made smallpox eradicable and that make SARS-CoV-2 impossible to eradicate. First, smallpox only infected humans, whereas SARS-CoV-2 has many animal reservoirs. Even if we could stop transmission in humans, it could always spill over again.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2022/qa-why-cant-covid-19-be-eradicated-and-other-lingering-questions

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
"could" isn't a very convincing word.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What?? rofl

P
Legend
Legend
P
Even if we could stop transmission in humans, it could always spill over again.

The coulda, shoulda, woulda factor.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

The coulda, shoulda, woulda factor.

Whaaaat???

Can you comprehend the most simple of concepts?

Experts from Johns Hopkins say eradication is impossible. They drive the point home by saying EVEN IF WE COULD stop transmission in humans, animals would spread another mutation.

You say "coulda, shoulda, woulda"??

LMFAO

P
Legend
Legend
P
You left out the second could. It didn't say......................
animals would spread another mutation.

It said

Lying again?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There is no way this conversation is actually taking place. rofl rofl rofl

Someone please explain to this poor soul the concept taking place here. I can't dumb it down any further. 🤣

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
There is no way this conversation is actually taking place. rofl rofl rofl

Someone please explain to this poor soul the concept taking place here. I can't dumb it down any further. 🤣

Unbelievable. By the way, what do you mean by "it"?

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
I gave you far too much credit. I thought even you could tell the difference between what could happen verses what will happen. My bad.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
when some people are presented with facts... they muddy the waters with tons of comments until the facts disappear from view.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
"Could happen" isn't a fact.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Yeah I was just going to say a ton of people are getting it. It’s mutated to be less lethal, and there are nowhere near the reporting requirements there used to be, but it’s very prevalent.

Define " a ton" of people.

It hasn't mutated to be less lethal. You are spreading misinformation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-symptoms-mild-follow-pattern-doctors-say-rcna105090

Why Covid seems milder now
Dr. Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, attributed the mild symptoms that doctors are seeing to immunity from vaccines and previous infections. "Overall, the severity of Covid is much lower than it was a year ago and two years ago. That’s not because the variants are less robust. It’s because the immune responses are higher," Barouch said.

Unfortunately, people (typically of a certain political belief) are triggered by the words "herd immunity" even though doctors, their preferred news organization, and the CDC are telling them that "herd immunity" is one of the main reasons why people are not getting Covid.

www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/background/index.html#:~:text=Trends%20in%20outcomes-,Hospitalizations,infections%20and%20greater%20treatment%20availability

According to the CDC hospitalizations are down because of greater immunity (herd immunity),14.1% of people who still get the vaccine, and "better treatment".
Hospitalizations. In 2024, COVID-19 is less likely to result in severe disease than earlier in the pandemic because of greater immunity from vaccines and previous infections and greater treatment availability.

According to the CDC there are less deaths because of a high degree of immunity "herd immunity"
www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/background/index.html#:~:text=Trends%20in%20outcomes-,Hospitalizations,infections%20and%20greater%20treatment%20availability
Due to the effectiveness of protective tools and high degree of population immunity, there are now fewer hospitalizations and deaths due to COVID-19.

I am not spreading misinformation my guy. It turns out that you can be right and I can be right. I guess you still got that St. Ed's logic working for you, though (that is a JOKE laugh ). Most pandemic viruses - Spanish flu for instance - evolve to be less lethal, which is a logical follow-on for viruses, because less lethality to the host means more wide-spread. Hence why the common cold is so much more widespread than ebola for instance. That was also based on the fact that the Omicron variant was less lethal, but more widespread, than the Delta variant. What you and FATE also mentioned about previous infection and vaccination also helps decrease the CFR as well, too. I think that's a valid point to add. Here's an NIH article discussing a combination of factors for the fall in CFR:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9874414/

However, this whole discussion takes away from your original quote, which was "basically no one has gotten covid in the last year."

I know for a fact that my office of around 65 people has 3 people who tested positive for COVID, but their symptoms are now such that they can just telework. We have also gotten rid of mandatory reporting requirements. My sister and her entire household tested positive for COVID the week before Easter, but no hospitalizations, this time at least. She previously caught COVID and damn near died back in 2021. She is an anti-vaxxer. I won't even get into the reasons as to why, as it is embarrassing. I think even FATE would say that it's kooky, and he's the biggest kook of them all wink laugh Regardless, compared to last time, she is not a reported case this time around. Still very sick, just not hospitalized. She is not the only one.

The point is that COVID is still very prevalent, such that substantially more than "basically no one" is getting it. The falling CFR doesn't mean that it's not around anymore.

Last edited by dawglover05; 04/05/24 01:05 PM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"Hey, Johns Hopkins says COVID eradication is impossible."
"Yeah, but..."
"But, whaaat??"
"But Pit@DawgTalkers says they used the word 'could'."
"They used the word could in a subsequent sentence, one that actually provided proof to their statement."
Yeah, but still... 'could' opens up doubt. Especially since Perfect Spiral says eradication is possible. I don't know if I should #trustthescience", especially with Johns Hopkins carelessly throwing around these modal verbs."

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
P
Legend
Legend
P
Still trying to argue the point that they said it
it could always spill over again.
from animals means that
animals would spread another mutation.

Speaking of not being able to dumb it down further. No wonder people say our education system is failing. Could and will are two different words with totally different meanings. That's not some language trickery. It's very basic.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah I was just going to say a ton of people are getting it. It’s mutated to be less lethal, and there are nowhere near the reporting requirements there used to be, but it’s very prevalent.

Define " a ton" of people.

It hasn't mutated to be less lethal. You are spreading misinformation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-symptoms-mild-follow-pattern-doctors-say-rcna105090

Why Covid seems milder now
Dr. Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, attributed the mild symptoms that doctors are seeing to immunity from vaccines and previous infections. "Overall, the severity of Covid is much lower than it was a year ago and two years ago. That’s not because the variants are less robust. It’s because the immune responses are higher," Barouch said.

Unfortunately, people (typically of a certain political belief) are triggered by the words "herd immunity" even though doctors, their preferred news organization, and the CDC are telling them that "herd immunity" is one of the main reasons why people are not getting Covid.

According to the CDC hospitalizations are down because of greater immunity (herd immunity),14.1% of people who still get the vaccine, and "better treatment".
Hospitalizations. In 2024, COVID-19 is less likely to result in severe disease than earlier in the pandemic because of greater immunity from vaccines and previous infections and greater treatment availability.

According to the CDC there are less deaths because of a high degree of immunity "herd immunity"
Due to the effectiveness of protective tools and high degree of population immunity, there are now fewer hospitalizations and deaths due to COVID-19.

I am not spreading misinformation my guy. It turns out that you can be right and I can be right. I guess you still got that St. Ed's logic working for you, though (that is a JOKE laugh ). Most pandemic viruses - Spanish flu for instance - evolve to be less lethal, which is a logical follow-on for viruses, because less lethality to the host means more wide-spread. Hence why the common cold is so much more widespread than ebola for instance. That was also based on the fact that the Omicron variant was less lethal, but more widespread, than the Delta variant. What you and FATE also mentioned about previous infection and vaccination also helps decrease the CFR as well, too. I think that's a valid point to add. Here's an NIH article discussing a combination of factors for the fall in CFR:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9874414/

However, this whole discussion takes away from your original quote, which was "basically no one has gotten covid in the last year."

I know for a fact that my office of around 65 people has 3 people who tested positive for COVID, but their symptoms are now such that they can just telework. We have also gotten rid of mandatory reporting requirements. My sister and her entire household tested positive for COVID the week before Easter, but no hospitalizations, this time at least. She previously caught COVID and damn near died back in 2021. She is an anti-vaxxer. I won't even get into the reasons as to why, as it is embarrassing. I think even FATE would say that it's kooky, and he's the biggest kook of them all wink laugh Regardless, compared to last time, she is not a reported case this time around. Still very sick, just not hospitalized. She is not the only one.

The point is that COVID is still very prevalent, such that substantially more than "basically no one" is getting it. The falling CFR doesn't mean that it's not around anymore.

my st ed's education paid off a little. smile

I don't understand why people want to keep fighting this. Every single expert keeps telling people Viruses don't evolve to be "less lethal" our immune systems learn how to fight viruses and we don't get as sick or even sick from the virus.

it is clearly stated in your link as well https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9874414/
"the decrease in COVID‐19 CFR is likely due to multiple factors. Vaccination and postinfection immunity made the disease less severe."

*Everyone with a brain kept saying that herd immunity needed to happen before things could get back to normal.* Now, all of the experts are saying, without saying "they were right"

I addressed the "basically" statement earlier... it was a blanket statement indicating that the amount of people contracting covid has been vastly reduced. Which, is 100% factual.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
LOL - being an Iggy guy, I had to get a shot in. My brother went to Ed's too and my nephews are also divided. We always appreciate a good-natured ribbing.

I don't really think it's fighting anything when I say we both brought up valid points, but I suppose this forum has that kind of taint to it, where perhaps combative pre-dispositions are presumed. The "multiple factors" quoted in that finding includes both your point and mine, hence the statement.

My original post regarding your blanket statement was posted before your clarification. I also don't think we can know for sure whether the amount of people contracting COVID has been vastly reduced when you have such cases like the ones I mention earlier. There surely will be a reduction in "known" cases due to the changing in reporting requirements and less hospitalizations/lethality overall. The people I work with and my sister will not go into any sort of database or reporting, whereas before they would. That is also 100% factual.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yep. Just like me saying that you could read a basic English sentence and comprehend it's meaning...

It definitely doesn't mean it will happen. rofl

P
Legend
Legend
P
Do viruses such as the coronavirus become less deadly?

Because the goal of a virus is to survive, replicate, and spread, it tends to evolve toward being more infectious and less deadly. There are exceptions and other factors, but in general, says Auclair, that’s what virologists expect to see occur with SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

To understand why that is, think about the process of natural selection that you probably learned about in high school biology.

A virus survives by replicating itself. It essentially hijacks our cells and uses some of the machinery in those cells to make more of itself. Those progeny, if you will, then go on to infect other cells and the process repeats.

The virus doesn’t make perfect copies of itself, and that results in changes, which are called mutations. Some changes will hurt its chances to survive and replicate, so those mutations typically aren’t passed on to future generations. Mutations that don’t disrupt the virus’s ability to survive and spread can become established. But the changes that help the virus survive, replicate, and spread to other hosts are most likely to lead to a new dominant variant of the virus because it’s simply better than previous strains at doing what viruses need to do.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/12/13/virus-evolution/

Viruses don't always mutate to be less deadly but as with covid to this point it has.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Now apply that to what you previously posted and you can answer your own question. Will is not could. Sadly you seem to dispute that fact.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
I’m saying it could have been eradicated, but it’s too late now. “Basically” lol .. because of the anti vaccination folks.

Aaaand more fake news. Keep making a fool of yourself, we'll all pop some popcorn in the name of #SpiralsScienceClass #JohnsHopkinsIsConfused

There are a number of factors that made smallpox eradicable and that make SARS-CoV-2 impossible to eradicate. First, smallpox only infected humans, whereas SARS-CoV-2 has many animal reservoirs. Even if we could stop transmission in humans, it could always spill over again.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2022/qa-why-cant-covid-19-be-eradicated-and-other-lingering-questions

Pit out here fighting like hell for you and you just quit??

That could be considered bad manners.

Legend
Legend
Now apply that to what you previously posted and you can answer your own question. Will is not could. Sadly you seem to dispute that fact.

What do you mean by "seem"??

P
Legend
Legend
P
If anyone is an expert in bad manners it would be you. The only thing I'm fighting is people that seem to claim that viruses don't mutate and often times those mutations are less deadly versions of the original virus. Of course I do find it highly unlikely someone who doesn't know the difference between the words "could" and "will" to grasp that concept.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
seem - give the impression or sensation of being something or having a particular quality.

could - used to indicate possibility.

will - expressing inevitable events

Anything else I can help you with?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If anyone is an expert in bad manners it would be you. The only thing I'm fighting is people that seem to claim that viruses don't mutate and often times those mutations are less deadly versions of the original virus. Of course I do find it highly unlikely someone who doesn't know the difference between the words "could" and "will" to grasp that concept.

Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Pit constantly changing his story is likely also a factor. Constantly building on and adjusting what he had previously said and then claiming he had said the complex thing earlier is rather annoying.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend

* seem
* often
* unlikely
* "could"

P
Legend
Legend
P
* seem
* often
* unlikely
* "could"

Yes, but have you figured out they mean different things yet?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
They mean different "things"?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Your post is how you tell someone you couldn't pass second grade English without telling them you couldn't pass second grade English.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
when some people are presented with facts... they muddy the waters with tons of comments until the facts disappear from view.

Says the yahoo who started this by basically claiming nobody has gotten Covid in the last year. You crack me up. People like you are basically the reason Covid is still prevalent. Nay sayers. Deniers. Pffft

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
They mean different "things"?

Basically… rofl

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Next Pandemic? Bird Flu

Link Copied to Clipboard