A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Is Sam Bradford No. 1? Pro day will show QB's worth to Rams

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-03-24-sw-sam-bradford_N.htm

When Sam Bradford shows off his surgically repaired throwing shoulder at his March 29 pro day in Norman, Okla., the St. Louis Rams should get a good indication whether the quarterback factors into their plans as the clock ticks toward their first overall pick in the April 22 draft.
Rams general manager Billy Devaney, coach Steve Spagnuolo and the Rams staff must decide whether to pull the trigger on the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma.

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay says the top pick in this year's draft is Bradford's to lose after the quarterback met with Devaney and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur last week at the Athletes' Performance Institute training facility near Pensacola, Fla.

"Unless something is fundamentally wrong — his throwing motion has changed, if he's not getting nearly as much zip on the ball, if there's something that just jumps out at you and is alarming and creates concern — I don't think his pro day will affect that opportunity to be the No. 1 pick," McShay says. "It's the (Rams') biggest need and the most important position."

Defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska and Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma are widely considered the best players in this draft, rare talents at a valued position.

But if Bradford proves healthy, he's the best quarterback at the NFL's most critical position. And no matter how good Suh and McCoy appear, a franchise quarterback makes their worth pale.

In a quarterback-driven league, the Rams have two designated drivers — banged-up veteran Marc Bulger and perennial backup A.J. Feeley, two potential bridges to whomever they designate as their future.

So the pressure is on Bradford to win his pro day and win over the Rams.

"Franchise quarterback trumps all," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says. "No matter how good you think Suh and McCoy are, if you believe Bradford is a franchise quarterback — and by the way, your building is kind of empty of franchise quarterbacks — Bradford has to be the first discussion.

"If the medical question is blessed by their doctors, it makes it easy.

"The Rams passed on (Mark) Sanchez and Matt Ryan (in the 2009 and 2008 drafts, respectively). Do they want to pass on another potential franchise quarterback?"

What will Spagnuolo be looking for on Bradford's pro day?

"I'll be looking for the presence, how he is around teammates because he's in his own setting now," Spagnuolo said. "Then, medically, (assessing) the shoulder. I'll try and grab him early by myself just come away with an overall impression."

Some feel Bradford would have been the first overall pick last April had he come out, ahead of Matthew Stafford, who went first overall to the Detroit Lions, and Sanchez, chosen fifth by the New York Jets, who traded up 12 spots to get him.

"I really felt if Sam Bradford had entered the draft last year, he would have been the first player chosen. I thought his accuracy separated him from Matthew Stafford and also (Mark) Sanchez" former Cleveland Browns general manager and current Philadelphia Eagles consultant Phil Savage says.

"If he clears this medical question, I cannot see any reason why he wouldn't go No. 1 overall. He has the size and enough arm strength."

Bulger has led the team in passing yards every year since 2002 — when he replaced Kurt Warner— but has started all 16 games once in that span and missed seven games in 2009.

"If you're in the market for a potential franchise quarterback, he's as good a bet as any who have come through the last number of years," Savage says of Bradford.

"At some point, the Rams have to pull the trigger on a quarterback."

Bradford returned to Oklahoma in 2009 coming off his 50-touchdown, eight-interception Heisman Trophy season, when he completed 67.9% of his passes.

Unfortunately, Bradford's decision to return to Oklahoma came back to bite him when he twice injured his throwing shoulder.

"The biggest concern is the last two times he hit the ground, he basically wasn't able to play anymore," Savage says.

Bradford had successful AC joint surgery performed by James Andrews on Oct. 29. Medical checks at the scouting combine last month showed no setbacks.

"That (pro day) will be the final test. Everything up until now he's passed with flying colors; the medical reports are excellent," Devaney told the NFL Network on March 17.

"He's an impressive guy. We, like a lot of people, are anxious to see Sam throw the football."

More and more, Bradford's name is the one atop mock drafts.

Mayock suggests the Rams entertain all options, particularly since the Washington Redskins, who hold the fourth overall pick, also might want Bradford. Their new regime of coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen inherited sixth-year quarterback Jason Campbell, a first-rounder in 2005.

"Washington could come to you and say, 'Take Jason Campbell — and our fourth overall pick,' " Mayock says. "You stay open for business.

"But the first question you have to answer internally is, 'Do you think that kid is a franchise quarterback?'

"I don't even think the Rams know right now. I don't think they can know."

Darn.. I liked Bradford till Savage endorsed him I didn't even know Phil got a gig back in the NFL

I'll be interested to hear news from workout tomorrow..

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

"If he clears this medical question, I cannot see any reason why he wouldn't go No. 1 overall. He has the size and enough arm strength."

So did your boy J.Russell out in Oakland Phil, thats worked out well...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

So did your boy J.Russell out in Oakland Phil, thats worked out well...

There were mixed opinions with Russell. With Bradford, the only questions are his health.

If a team passes, it won't be because they have some question about his game or potential to be a plus NFL player from a game standpoint. It will be a question of will he and his arm hold up.

Well....I suppose some teams could pass because they simply don't need a qb.....but at the top of the draft, that is rarely the case. If Atlanta as an example moved in to the top slot, it wouldn't be a move to select a qb.

St.Louis could drop to #3 and still get Bradford as Det wouldn't select Bradford.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
St. Louis could not drop to three and get Bradford for sure. That would leave the possibility of us or the Redskins trading up to #2 and getting him.

A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Before Bradford throws, other Sooners work out

Posted: March 29th, 2010 | Gil Brandt

While teams await quarterback Sam Bradford’s workout here in Norman, other Sooners players have gone through drills.

Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren and coach Eric Mangini are on hand, as well as new Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

A few Oklahoma players who either did not participate in all the drills at the NFL Scouting Combine, or weren’t invited to the combine at all, worked out for NFL teams.

Running back Chris Brown participated at the combine, but opted to go through workouts again at Oklahoma’s pro day in order to record better numbers. Brown’s best 40-yard dash time was 4.54, while he recorded a 9-foot-10 broad jump and a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump.

Tight end Brody Eldridge participated at the combine and recorded new numbers in the 40 (4.75) and broad jump (9 feet, 4 inches).

Defensive end Auston English was not at the combine. English ran a 4.76 40 and posted a 35-inch vertical jump.

Receiver Adron Tennell was not at the combine and posted a time of 4.47 in the 40.

Terry Shea, a former college and NFL coach who now does quarterback consulting work for future NFL draft prospects, is running a scripted workout for Bradford. Bradford is expected to work out at noon ET. Check back here for further updates from Norman.

– Gil Brandt
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/29/before-bradford-throws-other-sooners-go-through-workouts/

Four receivers taking part in Bradford’s workout
Posted: March 29th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: Adron Tennell, Brody Eldridge, Chris Brown, Josh Reed, Oklahoma, Sam Bradford

Four receivers will take part in Sam Bradford’s scripted workout here in Norman.

Josh Reed, who has spent the last eight seasons with the Buffalo Bills, as well as three of Bradford’s Sooners teammates, running back Chris Brown, tight end Brody Eldridge and receiver Adron Tennell will be on the receiving end of the quarterback’s passes

Good to see our crew there...

Last edited by AlwaysABrownsFan; 03/29/10 12:16 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Here's a link to Bradford's Pro Day live...

link

C
Legend
Legend
C
After watching Bradford make throws at his Pro Day I came to this conclusion...

We have no shot at him. He's going #1.

He's bigger than he was in college and he can make all the throws.

A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Thanks for link.. I agree.. Wow he looked good. I know in shorts and all... But he made it look easy while running around and thowing rockets on the money.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Bradford’s pro day workout leaves crowd in awe
Posted: March 29th, 2010 | Gil Brandt

NORMAN, Okla. — Sam Bradford’s workout Monday in front of representatives for all 32 NFL teams at Oklahoma’s pro day almost left me speechless. And that’s saying something.

Bradford threw 63 passes (13 during a stationary period and 50 scripted throws) during the workout and, in my estimation, didn’t have one that was uncatchable. He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree. The scripted workout included three-, five- and seven-step drops, shotgun, and play-action plays, plus sprints and rollouts to both sides.

It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of Bradford’s performance. In fact, he put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California.

If Bradford is feeling the effects of his shoulder injury or is experiencing any weakness, there were no indications of that. He threw with velocity during the entire workout.

He officially measured in at 6-foot-5 and 236 pounds.

Terry Shea, a former college and NFL coach who’s working with Bradford as a quarterback consultant, told me they’ve been together for about eight weeks. Bradford has been throwing for a little more than four weeks since being cleared by doctors.

I would imagine that two weeks from now, Bradford’s arm will be even stronger than what we saw. And it was very strong Monday.

– Gil Brandt

C
Legend
Legend
C
So in order to trade up to #1 and get Bradford we would have to give up at least picks #7, 38, 71, and 92.

That is a lot to give up. But if our front office thinks that Bradford is the franchise QB then we have to do it.

Now we just need the Rams to cooperate.

A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Pro Days
Shea has inside perspective on Bradford’s performance
Posted: March 29th, 2010
Perhaps no one has a better take right now on Sam Bradford — other than Bradford himself — than Terry Shea.

Shea, a veteran college and NFL coach, has been working with Bradford as his quarterback consultant leading up to Monday’s workout. Talking shortly after that workout, Shea described it this way: “Lights out.”

Moments later, he described it this way: “Phenomenal.”

Bradford threw 63 passes under the spotlight of NFL talent evaluators Monday, his first public workout with his surgically repaired right shoulder. Bradford began with 13 stationary throws before moving on to the scripted 50-pass portion of the workout. According to Shea, one ball hit the ground.

“I’ve never seen a performance like this,” Shea said. “A lot of people came up to me and said it’s as good a work out as they’ve ever seen.”

That is to be expected, as the scripted workouts showcase skills in a familiar setting. It’s meant to look good. What’s most important for Bradford — the potential top overall pick by the Rams – is answering any lingering questions surrounding the health of his shoulder.

Shea has had a first-hand look at Bradford over the last eight weeks. He explained that Bradford underwent a rehab program at the Andrews Performance Institute (API) for two to three weeks, followed by three or four weeks of medical review in which he threw three times a week for about 2o minutes. Starting soon after the NFL Scouting Combine, Shea worked with Bradford for just more than four weeks, watching him throw 100 passes a day for five and sometimes six days a week.

“I don’t see any shoulder issue at all,” Shea said of Monday’s workout. “He’s a tireless worker. I don’t see any glitch in his mechanics. He’s as consistent as I ever thought he would be.”

One important nugget that came out of our conversation was that Bradford didn’t show any fatigue during the workout — a sign he was diligent in his rehab. Not only would it signal his health, but it would give NFL teams a strong indication of his work ethic.

“I saw this almost every day,” Shea said of what scouts saw for the first time Monday. “There were some days where we were outside and the wind was a factor, but once I was with him this week in Norman, I started to see this almost every day. The more he gets into the fatigue of the drill, the stronger he gets.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
I suspect it's too much for us and not enough for them. If I really wanted the guy I wouldn't move for ten picks.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I suspect it's too much for us and not enough for them. If I really wanted the guy I wouldn't move for ten picks.

Exactly. Let them take him (and pay him). The contract he'll get will be insane! No thanks.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think the Rams will trade the pick. But if a guy is a franchise QB you get him. It doesn't matter how much money it will cost.

A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Mike Mayock
Rams’ choice at top of draft just got easier
Posted: March 29th, 2010 | Mike Mayock | Tags: Mike Holmgren, Pete Carroll, Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams, Washington Redskins

NORMAN, Okla. — Sam Bradford completed 39 passes this past season for the Oklahoma Sooners, but that was because of two shoulder injuries. He came out Monday at his pro day and threw the ball 63 times and only one of them touched the ground. And, trust me, it was because one of the receivers dropped the football.

What did I see today? Well, I knew I’d see deep touch and accuracy, which I saw. I knew I’d see short touch and accuracy, which I saw. What I wanted to see was the intermediate routes, the deep in-breaking routes, the deep out-breaking routes across the field. Did he have enough arm strength to be an NFL quarterback? The answer is a resounding yes.

Everything I saw about this kid tells me he’ll be the first pick of the St. Louis Rams.

Now, he’s got two private workouts set up — on April 15th with Washington and on the 19th with St. Louis. Those are two teams in the top five that need quarterbacks.

I’ll have a full report on Path to the Draft today starting at 6:30 p.m. ET on NFL Network, including interviews with Browns president Mike Holmgren and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/29/rams-choice-at-top-of-draft-just-got-easier/

C
Legend
Legend
C
So now that we know his shoulder is healthy and that he has put on weight (hopefully making him more durable) is there any question on whether or not we should take Bradford if available?

I didn't want him at first because I was scared of the injury. He's checked out okay.

I haven't seen one negative report about Bradford. Guy seems like he can be at least a league average QB and probably more.

The Rams look like they have their franchise guy.

A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
No question in my mind.. BUT.. He WON'T be there .

C
Legend
Legend
C
If the Rams pick was available for trade would you give up picks #7, 38, 71, 92, 146, and 186 to get him?

That would give us picks # 1, 85, 105, 134, 137, 160, and 177. We could do a lot worse than 7 picks in one the deepest drafts ever.

I would do it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the Rams pick was available for trade would you give up picks #7, 38, 71, 92, 146, and 186 to get him?

I'm not even sure that works out in that "trade value" chart ... let alone the actual value, when you consider that the Rams will probably WANT Bradford, thus driving up the value of that pick much further.

Legend
Legend
Good for you Sam!

I enjoyed watching every college game you played it was only a pipe dream that you'd play for my favorite pro team. It's too bad but I'd rather have you playing for the Rams than someone other than the Browns in the AFC North.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Good for you Sam!

I enjoyed watching every college game you played it was only a pipe dream that you'd play for my favorite pro team. It's too bad but I'd rather have you playing for the Rams than someone other than the Browns in the AFC North.

good to see ya back!

side note...

there is no other team in the AFC North with a questionable QB besides us

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Good for you Sam!

good to see ya back!

side note...

Back? Did I go somewhere?

What I was getting at was I didn't want to have to root against the kid. I've been rooting for him for years. If he goes to the Rams I can still root for him.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good for you Sam!

good to see ya back!

side note...

Back? Did I go somewhere?

What I was getting at was I didn't want to have to root against the kid. I've been rooting for him for years. If he goes to the Rams I can still root for him.

China?

I know I was just giving you a hard time

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
I suspect ANY dealings with the RAMS for number ONE would start with a first next year. At least for anyone past 4 or 5 this year. I just don't see them moving. To look at it in a different way.. If WE had the first pick, what would it take for US to pass ?

Legend
Legend
Exactly ... You would have to think it's going to cost us WAY to much, since STL needs a QB just as bad as we do.

... and if they are willing to trade for anything other than a King's randsom, you have to wonder WHY they are passing on Bradford in the first place.

C
Legend
Legend
C
That is more than enough on the draft value chart.

Legend
Legend
I dont think the Rams let ANYONE get Bradford...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Gil Brandt today on Sirius that, when asked about the Redskins obtaining the first pick from St. Louis - quoting someone in the Rams organization - "they don't have enough to offer."

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

SB has had a great deal of time rehearsing for this day,.I would certainly hope he would perform well,hell,he probably could've completed most of those throws blinfolded.

I hope it was enough to make the Rams committ.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Holmgren on why he didn't trade for McNabb:

Quote:

"The only way I was going to take all those early draft picks in rounds 1, 2 and 3 and use them would be for a young draft choice that I thought could be the quarterback for the next 15 years," he said. "Otherwise, we have too many needs that those picks are going to help us with."

Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Thats what I was hoping he'd be thinking

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Is Sam Bradford No. 1? Pro day will show QB's worth to Rams

Link Copied to Clipboard