Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Anyone know what time the draft will start on Friday and Saturday? Also, are they doing two rounds Thursday night?

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Check this out, Michelle:

link

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Man I'll tell you, this change in the Draft schedule is ruining all the parties....

Who wants to set up a party with all the fixins for 1 lousy round of the draft when you know dang well, people will have to get up and go to work the next day...

then you have a the second and third round on Friday evening.. again, who's gonna wanna set up a party for that...

then on Saturday, you have the 4th 5th 6th and 7th rounds and the last two rounds are mostly mr. irrelivants being drafted..

What a mess...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
My guess is that Goodell doesn't realize that people actually plan parties for these type of things.

Or, he does realize it, but it's more important to him that more people watch than have parties. The NFL doesn't make any money off parties. They do make money off ad buys during the draft. Well, at least I think they do.

Also, the people who really care about the draft will still watch or will just sacrifice and still have their parties.

As usual, if no one watched in protest, things would change. But that ain't gonna happen. I know I don't like it being on Thurs. night, but I'll still watch every second.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well it's simple business. On draft parties you have 30 people watching the draft on 1 TV. Now 30 people are forced to watch it on 30 TVs and that raises ratings. Still sucks though.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I can say for certain that I will not be watching the first round coverage. I will be forced to sip Margaritas in Mexico. No way I'm spending my last day of vacation watching TV.

That said if I was home I would still watch coverage but like many I wouldn't be attending any type of gathering or watching in a bar. I would also not be surprised to be sleeping on a Thur. before the first round even ended. I wouldn't be opposed to them starting the draft on Friday night but I don't really like the Thursday start.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Man I'll tell you, this change in the Draft schedule is ruining all the parties....

Who wants to set up a party with all the fixins for 1 lousy round of the draft when you know dang well, people will have to get up and go to work the next day...

then you have a the second and third round on Friday evening.. again, who's gonna wanna set up a party for that...

then on Saturday, you have the 4th 5th 6th and 7th rounds and the last two rounds are mostly mr. irrelivants being drafted..

What a mess...

I don't see it as a mess. I see it as an opportunity to drink beer and eat wings for 3 straight days.

It's like a semi good tailgate for a 1 PM kick-off and a great tailgate for a 8PM Sunday night kick-off.

Don't tell me I am going to have to teach you how to party as well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't see it as a mess. I see it as an opportunity to drink beer and eat wings for 3 straight days.

Now that you put it that way

The trouble is that while it works for you because I believe you are retired, it doesn't work for me.. I gotta get up and work the next day..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Now that you put it that way

The trouble is that while it works for you because I believe you are retired, it doesn't work for me.. I gotta get up and work the next day..

True.....but come on man.....you have been hacking away for more than a few years....do a little planning ahead by getting ahead and then Friday becomes a personal day, or a vacation day, or a sick day.

You don't strike me as the sort who pulls that stuff so often it is going to create any serious issues. If so, yeah, go to work.

No doubt there are times you have to do what you have to do....I was like that. It didn't matter how sick I was...I was going to do what had to be done, then go home.

If I knew there was a day I wanted to take off a few weeks in advance, I started moving things around or got ahead, and then went ahead and took the day.

You aren't some young guy just starting out who really can't just take a day here and there or simply give notice you have something to do that morning and will be a few hours later than normal.....sleep to 7 or 8:00 and go in at 9:30.

I worked my butt off, but I always had the attitude I worked to live. I didn't live to work....other people can do that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

True.....but come on man.....you have been hacking away for more than a few years....do a little planning ahead by getting ahead and then Friday becomes a personal day, or a vacation day, or a sick day.

Well, once again, you have missed the boat entirely.. As you may remember, I"m self employed.. I can if I wish, take any day I want off.. and I don't need to explain to anyone..

the problem with that is that being self employed, I'm also the only person generating revenue.. so while it's simple and easy for me to take time off, there is no way to replace income I may have generated..

If I don't work, I don't earn, if I don't earn I don't eat.. get it?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Well, once again, you have missed the boat entirely.. As you may remember, I"m self employed.. I can if I wish, take any day I want off.. and I don't need to explain to anyone..

the problem with that is that being self employed, I'm also the only person generating revenue.. so while it's simple and easy for me to take time off, there is no way to replace income I may have generated..

If I don't work, I don't earn, if I don't earn I don't eat.. get it?

Oh, I get it entirely. You have to do what you have to do.

I wasn't trying to give advice, sorry you took it as such.

I was just relaying my personal experience. I hope that Friday turns in to the best day you have ever had from a sales/commission standpoint....time to get in to my first fantasy baseball draft....take it easy..

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think AA and the NFL are in collusion.

Or it could be that it gives you three days instead of one to use the NFL draft as an excuse to get drunk! I'm intigued to see how that all pans out!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I definately bummed as I'll be flying home from India on Thursday night but luckily I'll be home by 1PM Friday to catch the real action. I'll be so nervous not knowing what the heck happened in the first round....

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
L
Legend
Legend
L
I kinda like it, this change fits me. I feel for you guys but I never take part in a draft party... I'l get home from work that Thursday night about 2 or three picks in, see who the Browns draft (or trade with) and be good.

After the Browns pick in the 1st round, I've always NOT glued myself to the TV for the draft. I missed the trade up for BQ in 2007 (wish I coulda missed what's gone on since but that's another story). For a guy like me, this makes the Friday more fun because of the 2nd round and all the extra picks/flexibility we have this year.
After the 2nd round, I keep my computer here while doing other things, and monitor our picks through DTers.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know Daman, it blows.

Unfortunately it's all about revenue for the NFL as it's now in Primetime.

But I love having a little party. Have my dad, bro and a group of friends come by, head down to the man cave, get a bunch of grub and beer and enjoy and entire Saturday of the NFL draft. It's just about my favorite day of the year. But having it on a Thursday just sucks.

I can see having it on Friday night with round 1, but Thursday just sucks. Luckily, I'm taking off those 2 days, but my wife has to be up early, and my daughter too for daycare. So around 9pm or so, they'll be in bed, so she won't like all the people over.

It just screws it all up. The all day event on Saturday is the best.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Me, I will have to come home early to catch the beginning of the draft. 4:30 on Thursday and 3 pm on Friday. Plus get up at 7 am on saturday.

sheesh.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't like it purely because I have school Thursday and Friday. But I hate draft parties, so that doesn't affect me at all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Booo Deep, booooo.

I don't have huge ones. The most I've had over for one was like 10-12 people. It's just nice to get some people together, enjoy some food and a some beers. Well, maybe something non alcoholic for you.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Really, the only reason I don't like draft parties is the same reason I don't like parties for games. I end up missing stuff. I like watching games with my dad, brother and occasionally sister. I never watch them with friends because they don't take it seriously enough for me.

And on draft day, I'm going to have my big board out for me to cross off names on as I go.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Really, the only reason I don't like draft parties is the same reason I don't like parties for games. I end up missing stuff. I like watching games with my dad, brother and occasionally sister. I never watch them with friends because they don't take it seriously enough for me.

And on draft day, I'm going to have my big board out for me to cross off names on as I go.

I'm the same way. I usually check it out with a friend or two but they must be as serious about it as I am.

[Linked Image from netanimations.net]
Legend
Legend
Deep, I used to have my wife put together an excel spreadsheet for all 7 rounds. That's when I knew I had the right woman.

Nowadays, I just get the laptop out in the living room and I'm on here pretty much the whole time. Last year, there were a lot of people in the chat, which was nice. Well, except for whoever it was, I can't remember, who was going crazy that we should pick Beanie Wells, lol.

But, unless I'm at the Browns official draft day party (which was great the year they picked Joe Thomas, the place was freakin' nuts), I'll be in my living room with only my wife and my son.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will have my color coded spreadsheet ready to go. Just marking off players by round, and looking to see who is available.

And still screaming the Everette Brown was not taken by the Browns.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You have a real keeper there.

I will most likely be joining the chat this year if I don't have to do anything for work. I'm sure you are all very excited.

Legend
Legend
i'm off thursday through sunday... its gonna be a blast.. lol..

let me get that spreadsheet by the way..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't do a spreadsheet. I have an actual board to make me feel special.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Talking about being a loser....I was really bored last night and started to do a full mock draft....I'm halfway through the fourth round...so far I have the following for the Browns:

(1) Eric Berry
(2) Colt McCoy
(3a) Brandon Ghee
(3b) Amari Spievey
(3c) Mike Johnson

Defensive backfield should be taken care of for the next 5 years and/or we can let Eric Wright walk or trade if the price is too much

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Figure this could go here instead of starting a new thread . . .

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/a_three-day_nfl_draft_could_me.html

A three-day NFL Draft could mean more trades for Cleveland Browns, other teams: NFL Insider

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer
April 10, 2010, 9:19PM

CLEVELAND -- To rabid draftniks, the NFL Draft used to be like Christmas and the Super Bowl wrapped into one package. There's months of anticipation, followed by a big day or two, and then -- poof! -- it's done.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has changed that.

This year's draft will be spread over three days -- Thursday, Friday and Saturday, April 22-24.

The first round gets its own day, Thursday night, the most-watched TV viewing night of the week. Coverage on ESPN and NFL Network begins at 7:30 p.m., with the first selection anticipated at around 8. The second and third rounds will be held on Friday, beginning at 6 p.m. Both of those days should wrap up at 11 p.m.

The rest of the draft -- the fourth through seventh rounds -- conclude on Saturday, the traditional draft day, beginning at 10 a.m.

Goodell expanded the draft to capitalize on its phenomenal popularity.

"It's about finding new ways to expand upon what you are doing and to find new ways for fans to engage with football," he said at the NFL owners meetings last month. "By creating a prime-time event and doing it over three days, we are able to allow more people to experience the draft. We think it's going to be a nice change and a positive change with our fans."

The changes will affect the way teams operate, also.

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert is among many who expect more trades.

"It's going to be interesting, to say the least," he said. "I think there might be a little more trade movement than usual because you have some extra time in there and more opportunities to trade."

Not too long ago, the draft was divided into rounds 1-3 on the first day and rounds 4-7 on the second day. Teams that owned high picks in the fourth round were considered fortunate because other teams hungry for one desirable player left on their draft boards often came calling with trade offers during the overnight break.

Now, there are two overnight breaks to create such trade opportunities. High picks in round 2 and round 4 may now be highly coveted.

New England coach Bill Belichick sees a different approach to the second round.

"I kind of think the second round will now be like the first round," Belichick said. "Take those [top] 32 players out of there, whoever they are, now you're starting all over again for that second round. And I can see it being approached more as that first round.

"In the past, you kind of rolled into that round. Now, to actually stop and have the whole night to sit there and think about it and talk to other teams and develop a new strategy. Everybody does that on the second day; now we have three days. It's a different dynamic."

In the case of the Browns, who own three picks in the third round, the stop-and-go format gives them more time to plot a trade strategy, to move up from the third round for an additional pick in the second round.

And that could be when the Browns select their quarterback.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The first round gets its own day, Thursday night, the most-watched TV viewing night of the week. Coverage on ESPN and NFL Network begins at 7:30 p.m., with the first selection anticipated at around 8. The second and third rounds will be held on Friday, beginning at 6 p.m. Both of those days should wrap up at 11 p.m.

While it might not be all that likely, there is the possibility that the first round lasts more than 5 hours, assuming each team takes the full 10 minutes it's allotted. I'd like to see the 1st round done by 11, too, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Friday and Saturday Draft coverage

Link Copied to Clipboard