Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
think he is a great player but not sure he is #7 pick in the draft

The reality is he isn't ..but it All depends on how they have the guy rated..for me it would be either Haden or Thomas.
I don't want Clausen/Morgan/Bryant.
That leaves Spiller/McClain..whom I don't see the Browns drafting..

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Cleveland Browns' new possible draft target: Penn State lineman Jared Odrick

CLEVELAND -- The new name to watch as a contender for the Browns' first draft choice is Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick.

"He's a guy who's gained significant traction on NFL draft boards and the Browns are right on him," said a league source.

The Browns have worked out Odrick privately and also plan to bring him to Berea before the draft.

Odrick is 6-5 and weighs 304 pounds and possesses long arms and big hands. He played inside in Penn State's four-man line but is considered a perfect end in the Browns' 3-4 defense.

"You're talking a defensive lineman that does not have any fat on him," said the source. "He's all muscle. He's a tailor-made Patriots type of player. Richard Seymour-type. He's perfect for what the Browns do on their defensive line."

Evidently the Patriots see a bit of Seymour, their former star lineman, in Odrick. They have been on his trail for weeks. But they draft 22nd and know that Odrick will be long gone.

Once considered a borderline first-round pick, Odrick is one of eight players invited by the NFL to attend the April 22-24 draft in New York City.

Since the Browns acquired Philadelphia cornerback Sheldon Brown last week, it has been assumed that they now can rivet their attention to acquiring Tennessee safety Eric Berry with the No. 7 overall pick. The source believes that Berry remains a consideration with Earl Thomas of Texas, but Odrick would be the choice because he would have a bigger impact than either safety.

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert consistently has stated his belief that elite teams are built on the offensive and defensive lines.

Odrick makes sense for the Browns because their starting ends in 2009 both are over 30. Kenyon Coleman turns 31 this month and Robaire Smith is 33.

Also, nose tackle Shaun Rogers' future is uncertain after he was arrested last week at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport for trying to board an airplane with a loaded gun. Moving Rogers to end was a possibility before the incident.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/cleveland_browns_new_possible.html

I find this analysis disturbing as to the merits of this guy at #7. he is big, ok but how does he pass rush does he put any heat on the QB? he has no fat on him
Oh I remember another former Penn State DE who had no fat on him looked like Tarzan but played like Jane. next the patriots like him but are hoping he is more in their range..so how did a #22 suddenly become worthy of a 7, what new factors are at work in the meteoric rise? Also how does a #22 DE suddenly have "more impact" than a top safety at a position of DIRE EXTREME NEED? Don't have a clue to such reasoning. Ahh but hear is where the "meat of the article is" Rogers arrest. or more succinctly Rogers CONTRACT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. there is now a fait accompli to rid Rogers and his salary and turn a position of low need into Dire need as well.

This player did not rise out of nowhere. So we pass up our next Eric Turner because we want to save $$$$$ and move rogers and suddenly this #22 player is worthy of #7 or are we moving north on the draft board? I think this has LITTLE to do with this guys merit and more to do with the possible move of Rogers. We have cut every major contract outside of joe thomas, stands to reason Rogers could be next. If this goes down this is SOS( stuck on stupid) again.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

he is big, ok but how does he pass rush does he put any heat on the QB?

He would play DE on the 3-4. Meaning his main job wouldn't be rushing the passer.

Quote:

he has no fat on him Oh I remember another former Penn State DE who had no fat on him looked like Tarzan but played like Jane.

Courtney Brown has nothing to do with Jared Odrick. Brown played at Penn State from 1996-2000, Odrick played from 2006-2009. The only thing they have in common is the both played at Penn State.

Quote:

so how did a #22 suddenly become worthy of a 7, what new factors are at work in the meteoric rise?

"The Browns have worked out Odrick privately and also plan to bring him to Berea before the draft."

Quote:

Also how does a #22 DE suddenly have "more impact" than a top safety at a position of DIRE EXTREME NEED?

Because the source for this article is probably Odrick's agent.

Quote:

Ahh but hear is where the "meat of the article is" Rogers arrest. or more succinctly Rogers CONTRACT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. there is now a fait accompli to rid Rogers and his salary and turn a position of low need into Dire need as well.

"...nose tackle Shaun Rogers' future is uncertain..." Maybe this means Rogers will be suspended. Not traded or released.

Quote:

We have cut every major contract outside of joe thomas, stands to reason Rogers could be next.

We cut Anderson. We traded Edwards and Winslow and got stuff in return. Also I think Steinbach's contract is a major contract.

Quote:

If this goes down this is SOS( stuck on stupid) again.

If what goes down. Drafting Odrick and getting rid of Rogers? Something that you just made up in. SOS.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I don't feel the need for Haden is there unless the Browns move Brown to S...otherwise the need is actually safety and I would think Earl Thomas becomes the target if Berry is gone.

I think it would be more logical to draft Hayden and move Brown to S. Unless you actually have a HUGE need, I don't see us taking the second best S in this draft over the first rated CB.

Like you said in your later post, I think how they have them rated will play a huge part in all of this.

But I do believe Hayden would be rated higher than Thomas and if they feel Hayden to be a "shut down CB" (well as close as there is to one anyway) lol, Then going Hayden and sliding Brown to S is a no brainer IMO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Just a question.....Just because they had Ordick in for a visit, do you think it's because they are seriously considering at the #7 pick?

If that's the case, they must have Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow and Devin McCourty slotted as possible #7 picks also, right?

Logic tells me that they are looking at who they may draft when looking at possible trade down scenarios as well as drafting at the #7 slot. Just covering all their bases.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I find this analysis disturbing as to the merits of this guy at #7. he is big, ok but how does he pass rush does he put any heat on the QB? he has no fat on him

Joe, I may find your redundant quips to be insufferable while simultaneously in conflict with most of my own opinions, but that won't keep me from playing fair. *L*

I agree with you.

I've only seen him play once. All I recall is a strong guy who didn't show the power or potential that a Suh or McCoy did. One game should never be the base for a well-founded opinion. That leaves me with no other options than to compile the opinions of the various scouting reports. Those tell me that he's a 3-4 DE who doesn't possess elite abilities in the run-stuffing department, which is a serious requirement in our base.

Is he a candidate for the Browns? Sure...........but not at #7 if it were me.

We're close enough to this draft where I know what I'd do. If I can't trade-up and get Bradford, I'm trading back to land any number of blue-chip prospects in this draft at positions of great need for us. The extra 2nd or 3rd rounder will do us wonders.

Berry is gone at 7? Earl Thomas would work well.

Haden is now projected into the teens.

We need another RB and there are a few guys that have 1st round ability.

Defensive linemen........Dan Williams is gone? Odrick solves a problem.

Tackle? Choose from several first round players, several of whom could play right tackle for a decade.

Looking at pass-rushers and Morgan is gone? Pierre-paul or Brandon Graham are right there.

Even though I know we've "solved" our ILB situation, I can easily see us drafting a McClain and trading Jackson to a 4-3 team at some point. Of course I think McClain is going to be a really good player, so maybe I'm a little biased.

I know many feel that Berry is going to be great right off the bat and completely understand the opinions that say we stay put to get him. I just think he's a little over-rated, and given the choice between an Earl Thomas and a 2nd rounder or Berry, I have to choose the former. But beyond that, is there a guy sitting at 7 that's a can't-miss guy over another which will be available around 15? I can't say there is. There's talent in this draft, but beyond the top 5 or 6 players it really blurs.

This is the only time of year where lacking talent gives us an advantage, since we have so many talented players to choose from which helps.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
P
Legend
Legend
P
To me Toad, either Thomas or Berry would work there. I guess my point would be that the signing of Brown doesn't exlude us from going Hayden if the FO has him rated there.

I think a lot of that would be determined as to where this FO has them rated. I wouldn't object to either.

jmho

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Toad

I feel like we could take McClain at 7 if Berry is gone.
We then could still take a Nate Allen with our 2nd and we would improve our secondary tremendously with those two picks.

Just saying IF Berry is gone its a possibility. Personally i like him and Berry pretty equal. I would be estatic if we landed either of them.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
To put it a little harshly, Pitt, anyone who believes trading for a 31-year old starting corner precludes us from going Haden just isn't aware of how old 31-years old is in the NFL, hehe. He's as good a bet as anyone, though he isn't a serious of a "need" pick now. I'd be fine with taking him. Moving McDonald to dime makes us a VERY deep secondary.

Southie, I wouldn't bat an eye if we took McClain, though I think we could get him while acquiring some extra picks by dropping down several slots.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I have prefered the trade down if possible. If we nabbed McClain it would make DQ expendable.

Maybe a extra 2nd rounder?

I'm salivating!

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
This will not be a popular post. But really potential picks for us. Right or wrong, I have taken Holmgren on his word and eliminated Clausen from this list.

Some of these guys may be gone by the time we pick. Some may be a little bit of a reach for where we pick. Based on our needs and the style we want to play you could make an argument for any of these players. I think the next Brown will be one of these guys.

Eric Berry
Joe Haden
Rolando Mcclain
Dan Williams
CJ Spiller
Earl Thomas
Trent Williams

Legend
Legend
j/c

I know you've all been waiting in dire suspense for me to say what I'd like to see, so here you go. Feel free to shower me with gifts.

I'd like to see us drop into the teens and get Rolando McClain. That's a first round that makes me pretty darn excited.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Know what?
They'll probably do something unexpected....

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

j/c

I know you've all been waiting in dire suspense for me to say what I'd like to see, so here you go. Feel free to shower me with gifts.

I'd like to see us drop into the teens and get Rolando McClain. That's a first round that makes me pretty darn excited.

JMHO

I'm OverToad, and I approve this message.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm OverToad, and I approve this message.

The greatest gift of all.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
What Toad said!!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Know what?
They'll probably do something unexpected....

I think they'll stick to "their value board" or trade down.

I have every faith that's a pretty good bet.

Problem being their value board may not be what we expect as you suggested.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is whats prompting me to say the pick will be safety...
I'm learning(from some people) that the Browns like McCoy a lot..(sure that makes Toad want to dry up on some hot scorching rocks) and if it's true ,then if they go another direction than S with the first pick,they won't get a shot for one till round 3 ..and the best ones will be off the board..

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I wouldn't be surprised (if the love afair with McCoy is true) that we use our 2nd pick and one of our thirds or a player (like DQ especially if we take McClain) to move up late in the first to take a McCoy.

From what it seems.....if we are liking McCoy, others are as well. Maybe some teams that can afford to sit a Qb for a year just might make a move on him late in the first or trade down to get him.

Hmmmmm...never know.

From what i have been reading...some having him moving up.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I must be too easy to please in this draft!

Yes, I'd be happy with Thomas too.

And the thought of getting McCoy is music to my ears!

Last edited by PitDAWG; 04/08/10 04:59 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I must be too easy to please in this draft!

Yes, I'd be happy with Thomas too.

And the thought of getting McCoy is music to my ears!

Too many longhorns.

Last edited by clevesteve; 04/08/10 05:45 PM.
N
Legend
Legend
N
he didn't even mention Kindle magically dropping to the 3rd and taking Mckelroy with one of our 5ths

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
also, Eric Metcalf, Phil Dawson and Shaun Rogers.

Texas players tend to be good Browns players

just because I was curious: http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/all-time-nfl.html

Mike Baab
Raymond Clayborn
Bob McKay

those were the only other relevant names I saw on the list.

Last edited by no_logo_required; 04/08/10 06:48 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The longhorn I'd most want is Shipley. Even if he goes in the third he's a good value.

I like muckleroy, too... More than I do kindle anyways, but not for a 3-4.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Southie, I wouldn't bat an eye if we took McClain, though I think we could get him while acquiring some extra picks by dropping down several slots.

One problem...which prospect is it worth trading up to us for?If McCoy fails maybe, Jimmy Clausen?

I would love to trade down but I just don't see a scenario where that happens. I honestly think we are either going to go up and get Bradford or we are going to be stuck picking 7.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Yeah, it's always easier trying to trade up.

I never see good odds of trading back, but very rarely do I see guys that make me hope the team stays put.

So which player or players? Berry, Clausen, or a surprise guy such as who you mentioned in McCoy. His lack of strength probably put off more teams than are letting on. Not that he will fall, but that he would be the prime candidate IMHO.

However, if the "going rate" would be a 2nd rounder to drop down, I wouldn't be opposed to settling for a 3rd or 2nd next year. You know, sellin' on the cheap. I just don't see a huge dropoff in some of these players from the very best prospect to the 2nd or even 3rd best, with the exception of Bradford.

In the end, we're probably staying put, but damnit man, let me dream my dream.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
I agree you missed the Big Word IF. I agree both DEs went to penn state what you missed is the absurdity of equating Physique to "worth as a player". As Chuck Knoll was quoted, " Sometimes you can't judge your best players in the shower. That was my point. not College alum. As for Rogers, I agree i hope it is only a suspension but I add I do not share your level of comfort that he won't be traded. Yes, we have trimmed a lot of salary, thanks for adding the name Stienbach as he could be on the dead man walking list as well as we have trimmed about every major salary from this team. Your end line IF this goes down, Yes IF we draft this guy because of his physique and his meteoric rise in the draft and dump Rogers IF both things happen then yes, i would equate that with stuck on stupid. Luckily the scenario only exits is the ehter of what if and noone, including me is saying it will happen...You see I have more faith in Holmgren than to draft players because they look good greased up.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

This will not be a popular post. But really potential picks for us. Right or wrong, I have taken Holmgren on his word and eliminated Clausen from this list.

Some of these guys may be gone by the time we pick. Some may be a little bit of a reach for where we pick. Based on our needs and the style we want to play you could make an argument for any of these players. I think the next Brown will be one of these guys.

Eric Berry
Joe Haden
Rolando Mcclain
Dan Williams
CJ Spiller
Earl Thomas
Trent Williams

I agree that to take holmgren on his "word" is something you would like to do and so would I yet i remember him saying about a former golden Domer here in Cleveland that he likes to see two years of starts BEFORE he can {properly} evaluate a QB, What has Quinn had 12" and then dump him for a cheeze doodle( I have over used ham sandwich, don't you like the sound of cheeze doodle) A cheeze doodle is crisp and crrrrunch it is gone, like the career of Peyton Hillis in Cleveland. I digress.

Who will we draft. based on the Quinn mechanization of our Guru poobah Mike Holmgren it could be anybody, especially two guys he has mocked( Clausen and Fla QB Tebow). But Teebow not at 7, so maybe well, it could be anybody, especially someone not mentioned( Joe Haden). I hope berry or McClain( who will be a beast).

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Grossi: "Cleveland Browns' new possible draft target: Jared Odrick"

Link Copied to Clipboard