Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I think Holmgren is looking to improve the offense and the Browns had a large presence in Clemson. I don't think they were there for any other player other than Spiller.

JFYI the Browns also visited with LB Kavell Conner and CB Crezdon Butler...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
P
Legend
Legend
P
Harrison did average 4.4 ypc and between receptions and carries emassed 1082 total yards while not even playing in three games and having 10 carries or less in eight of the other 13 games.

I consider that rather impressive myself. Plus now we have Hillis as our big back to compliment Harrison.

We'll know in five days and a few hours.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

We have 3 3rd roudn picks...we HAVE to get/secure G M.Johnson with 1 of them...it might be considered an overdraft but I would not care starting-G for years and versatile (LG/RG and RT upside down the line with more experience)

i agree.

Quote:

With the our boatload of 5ths and 6ths I'd be more than happy to trade all 5 of them to get TE Moeaki, RT Calloway and OLB Te'o-Nesheim in the 4th/early 5th

agree on Calloway

Quote:

In the 2nd....it's either OLB Hughes (trade up), DE L.Joseph, DE Alualu, FS N.Allen or bust for me (there are some others I'd be ok with though like RB Best, WR D.Thomas, CB Robinson, CB McCourty)....just AVOID in any form or fashion: Mays, Iupati, Odrick

agree on Hughes, Allen, Mays...do not agree on Best, Odrick

Quote:

My dream draft has us trading down to mid-1st get an extra 2nd and more (to trade back into round 2 AGAIN) and draft FS Thomas, CB Haden or OT T.Williams in 1st, FS Allen (if no Thomas in 1st of course), DE Alualu, secure McCluster in late 2nd (some uptrade), then M.Johnson and Gerhart or Tate in 3rd...and then the late round guys I have above...if we somehow could get J.Hughes out of that too, would be a kicker

if we get Thomas, Hughes, McCluster, M.Johnson, Calloway, and heck if we somehow sneak in Nate Allen or Chad Jones (yeah no issue drafting 2 S's for me), then I'd be very happy. Don't think that is very possible though.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
a safety, a linebacker and an offensive lineman,

It is the same thing since 2000 and it doesn't work.

At least 1 runningback
At least 1 quarterback
At least 1 wide receiver
In the first 4 rounds.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

a safety, a linebacker and an offensive lineman,

It is the same thing since 2000 and it doesn't work.

At least 1 runningback
At least 1 quarterback
At least 1 wide receiver
In the first 4 rounds.

we have tried drafting QBs, WRs, and RBs in round1 as well since 2000. they have not worked out either.

i want the best available players. in this draft, i happen to believe those are who i showed.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I don't understand.

1999 1. Couch QB 2. Kevin Johnson WR
2000 2. Dennis Northcutt WR 3. Travis Prentice RB 3. Jujuan Dawson WR
2001 2. Quincy Morgan WR 3. James Jackson RB
2002. 1. William Green RB 2. Andre Davis WR
2003. 4. Lee Suggs RB
2004 4 Luke McCown QB
2005 1. Braylon Edwards WR 3. Frye QB
2006. 3. Travis Wilson WR
2007. 1. Brady Quinn
2009. 2. Brian Robiskie 2. Mohammed Massaquoi

I would be pretty surprised if another team in the league had invested as many picks in the first 4 rounds on WR, RB, and QBs as the Browns.

I'd personally rather have anything besides more of the same.

Last edited by Kingcob; 04/19/10 06:29 PM.
Legend
Legend
I feel better about this draft just because of the choosers. We have been saddled with some pickers who apparently were not solid judges of horseflesh and chose less than acceptable overly hyped draftees. I want to start to get a solid core of quality players. Tired of apologizing on Mondays for dunce-headed play. Looking forward to Thursday. I really find this draft setup to be awful and lousy judgment on the NFL's part.
Just saying for me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Since the William Green pick, the only major investment in the draft in the offense has been Braylon Edwards, and KWII, Then you can include Quinn, but Quinn, was the 2nd pick After Thomas, and they had to mortgage the future just for the pick. ( So actually it is a, oh yeah we forgot we better get some quarterback situation. )
Green, didnt' get recognized for the production he was putting up, because he held out his rookie training camp and got judged too early, before his 10th game in the league. After his 10th game in the league he was a force a rb, I liked the lee suggs pick but again it was a 4th, not a 1st 2nd or 3rd,

They are waiting to address the offense every year.
If they get a high round pick (1st,rd) on offense like Couch then they have to beleive in him or else recognize hes not good early.

If other teams don't draft offense in the first more often it is because they can actually stick with someone they beleive in.
lets see steelers? Santonio Holmes, Ben R , Willie Parker, were they 4th or later round picks ?

Of the Browns who aren't free agents or weren't free agents, lets see, Cribbs, (Browns after draft free agent) Harrisson, ? not 1st rd, James Davis 5th rd, .. Massaquoi, and Robiskie, good moves possibly,but who did they keep from before to put them in there as rookies is the same as what they had in 99

The bottom line is they wait to pick offensive skill positions, year after year.
They end up with players like James Jackson who was too small and too slow.
They have players make the team like Jamel White, and Jason Wright who stick around for multiple years, because it is the same recipe, you get 7 draft picks every year before any trades and the same recipe is
wait, wait, wait, ok address the offense, wait, oh yeah whats left well maybe this 6th rounder will pan out.

If they don't fix the offense, they won't compete for the division or the playoffs.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Since the William Green pick, the only major investment in the draft in the offense has been Braylon Edwards, and KWII,

Since 2002 when we selected Green, there have been 7 drafts

Jeff Faine- Offense (I'm sorry you don't understand the importance of an offensive line)

Kellen Winslow Jr.- Offense

Braylon Edwards- Offense

Kamerion Wimbley- Defense

Joe Thomas- Offense (again, sorry you don't understand the importance of the line)

Brady Quinn- Offense

Alex Mack- Offense

We never draft offense!

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

Quote:

Since the William Green pick, the only major investment in the draft in the offense has been Braylon Edwards, and KWII, Then you can include Quinn, but Quinn, was the 2nd pick After Thomas

So since the William Green pick in 2002 we haven't invested many high picks on the offensive side of the football. Besides the six guys we have taken in the 1st round since that pick (Faine, Winslow, Edwards, Thomas, Quinn, and Mack).

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

If other teams don't draft offense in the first more often it is because they can actually stick with someone they beleive in.
lets see steelers? Santonio Holmes, Ben R , Willie Parker, were they 4th or later round picks ?

And Willie Parker was undrafted.....

Ummm...what was your point again Throw?

N
Legend
Legend
N
and Santonio is no longer on the team and just netted the Steelers a 5th round pick.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Harrison did average 4.4 ypc and between receptions and carries emassed 1082 total yards while not even playing in three games and having 10 carries or less in eight of the other 13 games.

I consider that rather impressive myself. Plus now we have Hillis as our big back to compliment Harrison.

We'll know in five days and a few hours.

Yes we will know in a couple days what direction the Browns go but the opponents the Browns played when Harrison racked up those yards weren't exactly top-notch teams.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
But they were teams who were stacking the box because they knew we were going to run on them almost the entire game because we couldn't complete more than a handful of passes per game.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
and he STILL toasted them.. Give the Ghost his props.. You don't get that nickname for nothing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our offense was unique in that regard. Put 10 in the box to stop our running game and our passing game.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) the one guy who CANT get away

Link Copied to Clipboard