Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Legend
Legend
C
Teams will also be moving up for players like Saffold, Brown, Tate, Hernandez, etc. also. Not just the two QB's. I think we can stay where we are at and take McCoy.

Then we can keep our three picks in the 3rd or trade back into the 2nd if another player we like falls.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I personally feel that Clausen and McCoy have what it takes to win in the NFL. That's how deep this year's class is.

We have the line to develop one of them behind... (Granted it could be better, but as how it is it still is solid). We have the coaches. We have the wiley vet. (lol)

If McCoy or Clausen falls to them, pull the trigger. And then trade back in and get Golden Tate or any other number of solid 2nd rounders.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If we wanted to move up a couple spots in the 2nd what would it take? Our 2nd and a 5th?

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

I'd rather have Clausen, cuz if all else is more or less equal Clausen has a better arm.

I got up and turned on Michelle and Michelle in the Morning on disneypn. They showed highlight clips of Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

I watched.

I did not see one NFL caliber throw from Clausen. I hear about his arm, but I don't see it. Not one throw was NFL caliber!

Weird thing was that 2 of McCoys and Tebows were acceptable.

If they aren't capable of quarterbacking the Browns to the Super Bowl, keep them away from here.

McCoy is a good young man. I don't mean any disrespect. Just don't waste our time for another 3 years before we learn the inevitable. Heck, take a chance on Mays or Kindle, but don't do this Holmgren.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Really? Not 1?

I didn't see the program you saw, but I did see highlights of Clausen, and the package that I saw included manyl NFL throws, including many intermediate routes that would be staples of a West Coast Offense.

I don't know if I want the kid in the 2nd or not ..... but I doubt that the Browns are making calls to trade up for McCoy. If i had to take a QB ... and given the choice between Clausen and McCoy, I would have to take Clausen.The Browns already have a short, "West Coast" style QB in Wallace on the roster already.

Of course, if we grabbed a hard hitting Safety with solid range and instincts .... I'd be perfectly happy with that pick as well.

If we take a QB though ... I wonder if we move Wallace to WR as had been speculated in Seattle?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

If we take a QB though ... I wonder if we move Wallace to WR as had been speculated in Seattle?

No way, he's going to be 30 and is our insurance policy in case Delhomme is all the way done.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I did not see one NFL caliber throw from Clausen. I hear about his arm, but I don't see it. Not one throw was NFL caliber!

That is ridiculous. Everyone pretty much agrees that Clausen has the talent to be a starting NFL QB. That's not the problem. The problem is in his head.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Not 1.

There was one 5 yard slant that he stepped into, in the endzone, against someone like Purdue. High School kids can make that throw with protection and a wide open receiver.

At least 2 floaters that never seemed to come down.

Not one throw, on their highlight reel shown this morning, would have been acceptable.

I do believe that if I could draw up youtube I might be able to find some, but I'm just telling you what I saw.

If he's available, and charlie doesn't take him, that is going to be hilarious.

(I realize they have Cassell and Coyle)

Does he have the ability to lead us to the Super Bowl? That should always be the question. The only question.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

That is ridiculous. Everyone pretty much agrees that Clausen has the talent to be a starting NFL QB. That's not the problem. The problem is in his head.

I saw the same thing. Clausen was completing wobbly throws to either a wide open receiver or short throws where the receiver either had to stop or return back to the ball....not at all impressive.

McCoy seemed to throw tighter spirals that led the receiver.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
aside from the arm, it's far from equal, imo. i think mccoy beats him in everything else except for pure arm strength.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
at the least, the bills are interestined in doing so and they are definitely taking a qb.

Quote:

The St. Louis Rams can spend today negotiating with potential 33rd overall picks, and they can also spend today entertaining offers from other teams for the first pick in the second round of the draft.

If they decide to trade the pick, two of the teams that are interested are the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Bills and Browns have already contacted the Rams about acquiring the 33rd overall pick. Both teams want to draft a quarterback, either Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame or Colt McCoy of Texas.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, however, reports that the Bills are not inclined to trade up. The thinking in Buffalo may be that either Clausen or McCoy could fall to them at pick No. 41, or that there's a quarterback they could take in the third round or later who can be developed into a starter.

Ultimately, even if the Bills aren't inclined to trade up, the Rams are going to have some very good offers from teams that are -- probably offers good enough that when the 33rd pick is announced, it won't belong to the Rams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/23/browns-bills-have-called-rams/

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
The last thing you ever want to do is question the annointed when they have their fangs out for me. It can get ugly.

But, you are exactly right.

Maybe Chris Berman selected the clips.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
can't we just sit tight and still get either Clausen or McCoy?
What if Al Davis wants to trade up with us?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
well for me, i don't think i'd want to risk it. i think after bradford, there is a dropoff and after mccoy/clausen, there is a significant dropoff. i think, after bradford, we only wanted mccoy or tebow. we have one guy left and holmgren has said he wanted a young qb. why would you risk it if holmgren genuinely wants the guy and is genuinely comparing him to montana?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

the thing is i find it hard to believe some other team might not trade up, possibly ahead of us, to grab one of these guys. between the two of them, i want mccoy over clausen but just because the people ahead of us might not need a qb doesn't mean the people behind us might not leapfrog us.

I understand that but the comment that I responded to was that there were several teams in front of us that we in dire need of a QB and they were going to start flying off the board.. my point is that there are not a bunch of QB starved teams in front of us.

Now if you want to consider teams that could move in front of us, then that is a different story. Buffalo is the big one that I would be concerned about...

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Buffalo jumps in front of us they will take McCoy.

Also, I have read that the Seahawks would have taken Clausen with pick #14 if Earl Thomas didn't fall to that spot. So they are a possibility.

Another team to look out for is Carolina, they could jump in front of us.

And Minnesota can stay where they are and grab whatever QB is left or whatever QB they prefer.

The bottom line is this, we have enough picks to outbid most of the teams who will move up. If we really want one of these QB's we will move up and get him.

I say we stay where we are at, if one of the two QB's falls to us we take him. If not we take the best player available and keep our three 3rd rounders.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i understood your post and your views. i was just moving along the natural progression of the topic. i don't think we'll see a team ahead of us taking a qb (and even if they did, i'd expect it to be clausen) but that doesn't mean we'll be very comfortable in our spot because there could be a team below us who could trade up to get a qb.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

The bottom line is this, we have enough picks to outbid most of the teams who will move up. If we really want one of these QB's we will move up and get him.

the only thing i'm afraid of, if speculation is true, that it might take next year's 1st rounder to take the top of the 2nd. i don't know how i'd feel about doing that.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think our front office is smart enough to not do that.

They could have done that and moved into the 1st round last night and didn't.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

So .... if Clausen is there when we pick in the 2nd .... do we pull the trigger?

That being said, it does appear at least moderately likely that either Clausen or McCoy will be there for our 2nd round pick. Do we go QB?

In the "QB school" thread, I noted that what I saw from clausen made me drop him from a 1st to a 2nd rounder...........and there he sits, but you know what? That doesn't mean I want him. If he was there in the 3rd, ok, I'd take the gamble, but not in the 2nd.

I'd be more on-board with McCoy in the 2nd, but I still don't believe he's worth the 38th pick in the draft because he's a very limited player in terms of physical size and arm.

What I DON'T want is to trade UP to get McCoy. I don't believe we have to do that. If he is there at 38 and Holmgren pulls the trigger, I may not love the move but I won't blow my stack like when we wasted a pick on Frye. I'll grudgingly sit on my opinion and take a "wait-and-see" approach. However, if we trade up, I say we're WAY overpaying for him.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No rush for a QB IMO. Lots o talent out there that will fill spots long term.
This team is a few years away from serious contention for the SB.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

just clickin'

What caused Clausen to drop?

Was it the fact that a few years ago Notre Dame had another "NFL-ready" quarterback come out, only to have already been moved for a couple of low picks and some deli meat?

Or is it maybe Ben's latest exploits? Ben was said to be a major tool coming out of college, and the same is being said of Clausen.

That wouldn't be HAM would it? As for Clausen, I never really saw him play so I cannot really add to the conversation about him.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Quote:

So .... if Clausen is there when we pick in the 2nd .... do we pull the trigger?

That being said, it does appear at least moderately likely that either Clausen or McCoy will be there for our 2nd round pick. Do we go QB?

In the "QB school" thread, I noted that what I saw from clausen made me drop him from a 1st to a 2nd rounder...........and there he sits, but you know what? That doesn't mean I want him. If he was there in the 3rd, ok, I'd take the gamble, but not in the 2nd.

I'd be more on-board with McCoy in the 2nd, but I still don't believe he's worth the 38th pick in the draft because he's a very limited player in terms of physical size and arm.

What I DON'T want is to trade UP to get McCoy. I don't believe we have to do that. If he is there at 38 and Holmgren pulls the trigger, I may not love the move but I won't blow my stack like when we wasted a pick on Frye. I'll grudgingly sit on my opinion and take a "wait-and-see" approach. However, if we trade up, I say we're WAY overpaying for him.

I'll just pretend the pocket jitters (meltdowns) that resembled Brady Quinn don't exist and I'll feel better over the next three years while I wait for the inevitable to be revealed. Repeat after me...his arm will get stronger, he won't panic under a pass rush, he....

What happened over the past week? Did spring hit Cleveland, the flowers bloom, your wives got a dose of passion, and you all have lost your senses?

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I'll just claim stupiditiditidy, and ask that you further explain what you meant because it's clearly over my head.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Clausen has to be relieved to finally come off the board to Carolina @ 48.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
it's gonna be browns 2008/2009 for them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) The 10,000# elephant in the room: Clausen

Link Copied to Clipboard