Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend

Yeah,, Charger went all BARD on us there......

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
The only reasoni knew it wasn't him was that it didn't end in three graemlins.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Quote:

"Our offense is very much like what Cleveland will be running," Brown said. "We run a pro-style offense.

I wasn't going to touch this article until I read that.

I've watched Mack Brown week-in and week-out for years down here. He's a helluva guy, the kind of guy you wish was the head of your family. The kind of guy you could give all your life-savings to and know it's going to be kept safe. But like all great men who teach kids the game of football, he's a HUGE Homer, and in this case, he's a flat-out liar on Colt's behalf.

If what Texas ran is a "pro-style" offense, then so is the Run & Shoot and so is the Spread-option that Florida runs.

To me, this kind of crap hurts Colt's cause. It doesn't help it.

I think I'm going to keep a tally of the number of times "Colt McCoy" and "Joe Montana" are mentioned in the same article.

Mack Brown would be at UTEP or Texas A&M COMMERCE if it weren't for Vince Young. He got one lucky nugget. He allowed a passing play to be called when his team was pinned back with VERY little time on the clock going into halftime of this years NC game.

Funny story...I try to teach my wife some football from time to time. She's playing on the computer, acting like she cares, during the NC game. I turned to her and told her....Texas is pinned back, they can run out the clock and regroup at halftime...They have a young qb, there is no reason to not just run it up the middle and go to halftime. THEN THEY TRY A PASS that gets picked for 6!!!! Alabama went up 24-6 rather than going into the half at 17-6. What makes it worse, Texas had called a Timeout to give them time for this BS play. It's one thing if the player changed the play because he saw gold but Mack had a Timeout to think it through and even if his OCord called the play, he had a chance to overrule it. Just stupid. Just a bad coach.

When I can call a better play and I don't like UT, Mack is a terrible coach.

Of course he is going to stick up for his guy. What coach doesn't (unless you are in Taylor Mayes' head)?

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Mack is a terrible coach.

In NO WAY can anyone defend that statement. A bad playcall happens to every coach. It happens multiple "MULTIPLE" times in a year to great coaches. ALL the coaches!
When a coach goes out on a limb and has play call that goes gainst the grain and it hits....you hear " GREAT COACH..WHAT a CALL...LOOK AT THE FAITH HE HAS IN HIS PLAYERS TO MAKE THAT CALL" when it fails...."WHAT A MORON...HE HAS NO FAITH IN HIS GUYS"

What about Saben? Does he get that label by using the onside kick early? NOPE. You know why...He still won. Had he lost after that stupid call? He would have been labeled a bum...."NO FAITH IN HIS OFFENSE"

Mack Brown has done great things at Texas. He recruits well and players love him and he loves them and his gameplans and execution are SUPER! Results show that to be a fact.
A few bad decisions cannot make a proven guy a BAD COACH.

I am a SEC guy and rooted for the Tide big time and a quote "Bad coach" Dosent play with Saben and the Tide neck and neck and lose your stud QB on the 5th play and still compete...much less put your team into position to win or even make it to the biggest game of the season without being a very good coach.

If you dont like Texas thats ok...i am not a fan of any team outside the SEC but i know a great football program no matter what conference you are in and what it takes to get you there year in and year out.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

did anyone else read this and expect the poster to be Bard...lol

Legend
Legend
Just Clicking

Quote:

Cleveland Browns legend Brian Sipe has some good advice for rookie quarterback Colt McCoy: Terry Pluto
By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
May 07, 2010, 3:00AM

Brian Sipe hasn't seen enough of Colt McCoy to know if the Browns' third-round draft pick will become an impact player in the NFL.

But Sipe does know what it's like to be a quarterback for the Browns. He also knows what it takes for a quarterback such as Texas product McCoy to adjust from warm weather to the wind, snow and cold in Cleveland.

"No matter if it's Colt or anyone else, playing quarterback for the Browns gives you a chance to be a part of football history," said Sipe. "I felt it, going all the way back to Otto Graham. You are part of something special."

Sipe, entering his second season as quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, San Diego State, said he didn't watch McCoy play for the Longhorns.

JOHN KUNTZ / THE PLAIN DEALERColt McCoy (12) has a chance to become part of Cleveland sports lore as quarterback of the Browns, Brian Sipe says.
"I was involved with my own games on Saturdays," he said, adding that any game film he studied was of future opponents, his own team and possible recruits.

He said that from the McCoy highlights he's seen it looks like "he's a pretty accurate passer, and everyone says he has good character."

Sipe also is smart enough to not want anyone comparing McCoy to himself, because it just puts added pressure on the new Cleveland QB. Browns fans have grabbed on to the Sipe / McCoy comparison because both quarterbacks were considered too small (maybe 6-2) and lacked overpowering arm strength.

In a lengthy phone conversation from the Aztecs' football office, Sipe talked about playing for the Browns.

"I was a beach kid from southern California," he said. "When I came to the Browns, I was a 13th-round draft pick [in 1972]. I wasn't even supposed to make the team. No one was anxious for me to play.

"For the first two years, I was on the taxi squad. I wore a baseball cap, a sweat suit and held a clipboard on the sidelines."

Hearing that the Browns had no plans to rush McCoy into action, Sipe said that is the right approach.

"There just is so much to learn," he said of the NFL. "It can overwhelm you. I was blessed with great college coaching [Don Coryell of 'Air Coryell' fame] that was as good or better than most NFL teams had at the time. But it still takes time."

Advice: 'Embrace the cold': Sipe believes that playing for Texas gives McCoy an advantage because football "is so important there, it's just like Cleveland."

Sipe said it took a while for him to grasp what football meant to Browns fans.

RICHARD CONWAY / THE PLAIN DEALERBrian Sipe jogs off the field after a late-November win over the Bengals in 1980. Sipe says Colt McCoy, or any Browns quarterback, must learn to embrace the cold in order to succeed in Cleveland. "Once I did, I felt this enormous responsibility," he said. "The Browns are like family to so many people. And they love to tell you about going to Browns games in terrible weather."

That is one road that is the same for both quarterbacks. Yes, McCoy talked about playing in the cold weather "at Kansas and Missouri," but that's not Cleveland.

"It takes a while, but you make the cold and the wind your asset," said Sipe. "You learn to play in it by practicing in it. Then, when the other teams come to lakefront, they aren't ready for it."

Sipe paused.

"Embrace the cold," he said. "It helps you as a quarterback because it slows the game down. You can see things better. We didn't have a fieldhouse back then -- we practiced outside every day."

Hearing that Browns coach Eric Mangini prefers to play and practice in lousy conditions, Sipe said: "That makes sense. If you don't practice in it, you can't play well in it."

He paused.

"Playing in that weather is part of what made us a tough team mentally," he said.

Still a soft spot for fans: Sipe is in his second season as quarterbacks coach at his alma mater. Before that, he spent eight years at Santa Fe Christian in San Diego, winning four state titles.

Now 60 -- that's right, Brian Sipe is 60! -- Sipe said he's proud "not that I played 14 years of pro football, but that 12 were in Cleveland."

Browns fans know his history well, especially the MVP season of 1980. They know about Red Right 88, the pass intercepted in the end zone in the 14-12 loss to Oakland in the 1980 AFC divisional playoff game.

"Three days after that game, I had put that pass behind me," he said. "Not just Colt, but any quarterback, has to be able to do that. We made a lot of bad plays in that game before that pass. It was never anything that stayed with me."

SPECIAL TO THE PLAIN DEALERBrian Sipe is the last Browns player to be named MVP of the NFL, winning the award for his play in the 1980 season.Sipe is still amazed when he returns to Cleveland, or just runs into Browns fans anywhere. "After all these years, they treat us like royalty. Not just me, but all the guys from that [1980] team. They are fantastic people."

Is there any other advice he can offer McCoy?

"Not just him, but this goes for every Browns player -- work hard, and do things right," he said. "Respect the fans. Get to know the team history. You are blessed to play in a very special place where the people really do want to get behind you."

© 2010 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 3rd Round Pick I: Colt McCoy (QB)

Link Copied to Clipboard