Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well, IMO moving someone from CB to S is much like moving a guy from LT to RT. ( so long as you have a right handed QB)

It's far more difficult to cover a man stride for stride than to cover an area. Brown has shown he can recognise and react. Plus he's a very crafty, hard hitting CB. I would think it would be far easier than trying to convert a S to CB.

But yes, I think far too many people are looking for "instant gratification" when all along they've whined about building a team for the long haul. A dynasty if you will.

The truth is, you can't have it both ways. I take the long range approach to this and I like the way they are building a team. I think eventually moving Brown to S as Haden learns the system and speed of the pro game will go a long way for the future of our secondary and our team as a whole.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pit - I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it seems that we have been pretty much in sync with our thoughts on the Browns for a month or so now. Makes me question your sanity.

My thought is that Sheldon Brown will be able to give us 1-2 years of good Cb play. During that time he will stabilize our defensive backfield and the young guys will benefit tremendously from his presence - both in their short and long term development.

At some point however he will slow down and Wright and Haden will be the 2 main Cb's. At that point in time (whenever that happens to be) I see Brown moving to FS being a Darren Sharper-like Ballhawk and able to man up and shutdown any 3rd receiver in the league when needed.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
All Pro
All Pro
My understanding is that Brown is at his best playing the nickel, so if Haden isn't starting he would still be going out as the #2 corner in that package.

So, if the players are still in the pecking order I am inventing for them, it would look like Ward and Elam at safety with Wright and Brown starting at corner. Really if Haden is as good as billed that's 3 starting caliber CBs instead of the 1 we had last year. That opens up a ton of possibilities.

JMHAssumption.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ward's instincts aren't the best playing centerfield on defense, and he is better against the run than pass.

Asante will probably make the team.

Not going to pretend to be an expert here. I really don't know the answer.

Adams is best at free safety, but he isn't good there either.

The difference is that a SS is concidered an "I the box" Safety another words he has a box he is responsible for and is usally on the Strong side of the Offence or over the TE. FS is a player that hopefully can cover an opponent down field. To do that they must be able to turn and run with them and that is were having lose hips comes in. This is what you get with Ward a converted CB who can knock the snot bubbles out of an opponent and is a sure Tackler.

Ward was drafted to take the place of FS Pool.
Asante will play on ST to start, but should compete with Elam in a year or two, sooner would be nice.

[Linked Image]

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Asante will play on ST to start, but should compete with Elam in a year or two, sooner would be nice.

After watching the Red Zone, Browns brass a excpecting sooner as in this year, and actually, this kid can play, It wont suprise me if this kid ends up starting bye mid season, My friend is a Nebraska / Miami Dolphin fan and was praying Miami would take Asante, he loves the guy...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What does one do when u suck in specific positions or units in the NFL???

CHANGE THE PIECES...No scheme or coaching is gonna help those who LACK TALENT...

If Ward doesn't start at FS game 1...He will by game 4 or 5...FS Check...

If Asante surprises us and takes over for Elam by mid season???...SS Check...

Not one...TWO crushing safeties...This would be the ultimate for us...

Chad Johnson...Ocho-Stinko...Welcome to the "Assassin Ward" of Cleveland Clinic...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We can quibble all day long on these kids but if they have the talent the coaches have to put them in the best chances to succeed..Ward loves to pop people but he has to be taught how to use his abilities and not expose himself..same with Asante..he gambles a lot but he has to use his brain and not just brawn..
So a lot of this will fall on the coaches teaching abilities..

Legend
Legend
That's gonna be part of Ward's growing pains.

He loves to come up and pop people... to do that, you have to anticipate where things are going.
I would expect teams to try to bait him into it to get him to come up out of his area of responsibility and then try to hit a pass behind him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Which is generally easier to do to a rookie and is the reason I think it will take extenuating circumstances for both Ward and Asante to be on the field at the same time for any extended duration.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
U won't see Asante on except if they need a extra safety..otherwise he'll be on ST's for sure..Ward I expect to be on the field Day 1.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 5th Round Pick: Larry Asante S Nebraska

Link Copied to Clipboard