Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I wanted hm in the 5th. I thiught he a was a steal there.

When we got him in the sixth...i was estatic.

I was really hoping to get Price in the third but we went another direction instead.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
N
Legend
Legend
N
that's not true. he was expected to run fast and did so. he wasn't one of those kids whose stocks fly up because he wasn't expected to run fast and did.

i didn't see his stock move all that much after the season. (though I trust about 4 sites, so others may be different).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I was hoping to get golden Tate when we traded up to #59 and when we didn't I was

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

from nfl.com

Mitchell brings a rare combination of size and speed to this draft. He could definitely use another year in college but will be attractive to teams that are looking for a vertical passing attack thanks to his downfield speed and size. He shows a good burst coming out of his speed cuts but will chop down too much and waste steps on hard cuts for underneath routes. He has huge hands and can catch the ball in one hand at times but will try to catch too many passes in his body when he can. He is willing to go across the middle and catch the ball in traffic and is a physical blocker on the perimeter.

I hate reading the part in bold. Reminds me too much of QM

Another pick of great need that should have been taken already, like in the second round with Arrelious Benn 7.7 rating, with tremendous hands, speed, size and great route runner. Not to mention his YAC which is great, he also had no QB to get him the ball or might have been the #1 WR in the draft or close to it.

Now, would have been the time to take our QB project like MH said he would, in Dan LeFevour with a 6.4 rating. It also would not help make any potential QB conflick when Jake starts pitching his INT's. The fans won't be screeming for him like they will Colt in that situation. He has excellent speed and size faster than McCoy. He has a quick release, very intellegent, stronger arm, very accurate short and med passes. He's an extremely fierce competitor and could learn from Jake and Senaca. A great 6th round choice

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I am sure glad you are not making those choices.

IMO....thats not the route i would have taken. And my route is different than MH and TH yet i believe they did what they feel helps the very team THEY know better than us.

My route seems better than yours which you feel is the better than mine and everybody on this site has a plan of picks that they feel is better than mine yours and any other.....and so the merry go round goes.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I hear ya but on the other hand.... Clark, Botch & SavagedUs makes some think we could do better.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
We have a tried and proven FO for the first time since rebirth. We have guys who are proven and have succeeded at what they are doing. Does this guarantee success? Nope

I do feel they know better than me, you or anyone else on this board. Why?

They have been there and done that and been successful.

Legend
Legend
@ some point it would be nice to have the option to take a WR every other year in the 2nd - 4th round.. maybe a guy who fell for some reason.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
1st String
1st String
H

More info on this pick
New york times

A Receiving Prospect Has His Mother in His Corner
By KAREN CROUSE
AVENTURA, Fla. — One day during his sophomore season at the University of South Florida, Carlton Mitchell pulled on a pair of sweat pants that had once belonged to the boxer Antonio Tarver, a family friend.

Some of the hand-me-downs that Mitchell receives from Tarver, a former light-heavyweight champion, still have their store tags attached. But this tracksuit had clearly been worn. When Mitchell dug his hands into the pockets, he found $1,000 in hundreds.

In the lead-up to this week’s N.F.L. draft, Mitchell has been like that wad of bills in his pocket: an unexpected find for the league’s talent evaluators, a pleasant surprise.

With a 40-yard-dash time of 4.49 seconds at the scouting combine in February, Mitchell flew onto N.F.L. teams’ radar. And at South Florida’s pro day last month, he continued to impress, improving that 40 result in front of a group that included Giants Coach Tom Coughlin.

Mitchell is 6 feet 3 inches and 215 pounds, with winged feet and hands so big they swallow most that he shakes. Last season, as a junior, he had 40 catches for 706 yards and 4 touchdowns.

If Mitchell’s physical gifts are the bait, some receiver-starved team may decide to reel him in in large part because of his character, perhaps as early as the second round. After he found the money in Tarver’s discarded sweat pants, there was never any doubt in his mind what he would do.

“It felt better giving it back to him,” he said. “It wouldn’t have felt right spending it.”

Speaking by telephone last week, Tarver said: “It was forgotten money. He didn’t have to give it back, but Carlton’s just that type of kid.”

Tarver and Mitchell are not related, but there is a blood connection. Both have the same strong woman in their corner; Mitchell’s mother, Angela, a nurse anesthetist in Tampa, has worked as a cut man for Tarver, the first fighter to knock out Roy Jones Jr.

She got her start in boxing several years ago when a doctor heard her talking about the sport in the break room and asked if she had any interest in working a bout in Tampa.

Tarver acknowledged that he was not initially keen on having a woman in his corner, but came around after he saw Angela Mitchell keep a local boxer in a match that he eventually won.

She raised Mitchell, 22, and his sister by herself after her divorce from Carl Mitchell, who played professional basketball for more than 10 years in Europe. One of the few predivorce memories Mitchell said he had of them as a family was a trip to the zoo when he was 6 when he chased — and caught — a squirrel, which then bit him.

His mother confirmed the story. “That’s when I knew he’s a heck of an athlete,” she said.

Angela Mitchell’s shifts at the hospital required her to rise before dawn, so Mitchell learned to set his alarm for 6 a.m. every weekday so he could shuffle into her room and talk with her for 30 minutes while she fixed her hair and applied her makeup.

They would discuss the news of the day. Sometimes, Mitchell’s mother would read him newspaper accounts of people who were in trouble, and they would talk about how and where they went wrong.

“I’d ask him, ‘What would you do different?’ or ‘How would you handle this situation?’ ” Angela Mitchell said.

During his freshman year in high school, Mitchell surprised his mother by announcing he was trying out for the football team.

“I walked off laughing,” she said. “I didn’t even think he knew the rules. Then he came home and said: ‘Guess what, Mom? I made the team!’ I was shocked. I said, ‘What position?’ ”

Mitchell started out as the punter. But in one of his first games, he leapt to retrieve a high snap and took off running. When he returned to the sideline, he said, the coach turned to him and said, “Son, do you want to play some receiver?”

When Mitchell decided to forgo his final season at South Florida to make himself available for the draft, he heard from a lot of people who thought he was making a mistake. They told him that he would have a chance to grow into a first-round pick if he stayed in college for another year of seasoning. Mitchell was unbowed.

“I’m not a follower,” he said. “I travel to the beat of my own drummer. I know what I want in life, and I just feel like this is my time.”

Tarver says that the people who suggest Mitchell is setting himself up to fail are, in effect, helping him succeed.

“Sometimes, you need the naysayers,” Tarver said. “If you have everybody picking your coat, sometimes you take shortcuts.”

Mitchell spent most of February and March working out in Miami, a short walk from a beach and a nightlife that he said he forsook to focus on perfecting his routes, decreasing his dropped passes and improving his diet.

“I learned from being around boxers that one night of drinking cancels out two weeks of working out,” Mitchell said.

He may avoid the social scene, but he is not antisocial. In fact, Mitchell has the same outgoing personality as his mother.

“In the elevator, if you make eye contact, we’re about to talk,” he said, laughing.

He grows serious when he talks about his mother’s influence on his life.

“She’s always been my main motivation,” Mitchell said. “I always try to do the right thing for her. I don’t ever want to make her look bad.”

Angela Mitchell will be proud to see her son drafted, but no more so than she was the day she received the call from Tarver about the money Mitchell returned that Tarver had not even missed.

“I was just like, ‘Thank you, Jesus,’ ” she said. “He didn’t have any money, and he would do that? I always taught him to do the right thing. I told him, ‘You have to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of who you are.’ ”

Her voice cracked. “I guess Carlton was listening,” she said.

Legend
Legend
wow, really nice bio article, thanks!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i like this kid a lot more hopefully, he catches on

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Fun read.. always like to read good stuff on guys we draft..

Now, if only he can produce on the field,, we're talking perfect...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After reading the 1st couple paragraphs I couldn't help but wonder if this might spark an NCAA investigation.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

After reading the 1st couple paragraphs I couldn't help but wonder if this might spark an NCAA investigation.

Why, because of the grand he found and returned?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
some of you guys read way too much into things.....

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I really want to see this kid succeed. It seems like he has his head on straight.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Crossed my mind too.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was posted half in jest because of how ridiculous the NCAA can be. But either you jumped to the conclusion that he returned the money or I missed that in the article.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I like it! He doesn't have very good hands, but he has awesome potential.

Deep are you a USF fan? I can't remeber who I'm thinking about. However if you are I'll trust your opinon on the guy a lot more since you probabally saw him a lot.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Buckeyes all the way!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One of the things that I noticed during the press conference interview was that he was hesitant to tie himself too closely to Brandon Marshall even though the size and speed and university ties were obvious.

To me this seems as though he did not want to get tied into the soap box drama that is associated with Marshall. I think it is a wise move on his part, and it appears as though he has good upbringing from his mom.

It was good to read the story above.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

It was posted half in jest because of how ridiculous the NCAA can be. But either you jumped to the conclusion that he returned the money or I missed that in the article.

from the article:

Quote:

After he found the money in Tarver’s discarded sweat pants, there was never any doubt in his mind what he would do.

“It felt better giving it back to him,” he said. “It wouldn’t have felt right spending it.”

Speaking by telephone last week, Tarver said: “It was forgotten money. He didn’t have to give it back, but Carlton’s just that type of kid.”

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
From the article

Quote:

Angela Mitchell will be proud to see her son drafted, but no more so than she was the day she received the call from Tarver about the money Mitchell returned that Tarver had not even missed.

He gave the money back

I guess you missed that part.. would you have had the same thought had you caught that?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

From the article

Quote:

He gave the money back

I guess you missed that part.. would you have had the same thought had you caught that?

Why do you guess he missed it? He said after reading the first couple of paragraphs he had the thought, same as I did. By the time you read down further and see the part you quoted, the fleeting thought you had changes. He just admitted the thought crossed his mind not that he had formed an opinion based on it.

**edit**
Nevermind, I see where he said he missed it!

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nevermind, I see where he said he missed it!

Yup,, that's why I responded.....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was a long article and I just quickly skimmed it, so that's why I didn't see it. Though it still could spark an NCAA investigation. At least into the guy who gave him those clothes. Does that guy have any connection to the university or an agent? Even though he didn't keep the money, that could be a sneaky way for an agent or an alumnus to give players money.

And by no means am I suggesting that that is what was going on in this case. Just making a fanciful observation.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 6th Round Pick I: Carlton Mitchell

Link Copied to Clipboard