Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Published: Sunday, February 20, 2011, 8:12 PM Updated: Sunday, February 20, 2011, 8:43 PM
By Starting Blocks

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The NFL draft in April will last seven rounds, so the Cleveland Browns and the league's 31 other teams will get chances to improve their rosters beyond their first picks.

The Browns, 14-34 over the last three seasons, have numerous needs to address, and rounds 2-7 could help fill the gaps. Among them is the right side of the offensive line.

Cleveland almost certainly wouldn't use its first pick -- the sixth overall selection in the draft -- to bolster either the right tackle or right guard position. But it would be no stunner for the Browns to use a relatively high pick at either spot.

Jeff Schudel writes for the News-Herald and Lorain Morning Journal that NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock believes some pretty good right tackles will be available in the middle rounds.

Schudel writes about the Browns' right tackle situation:

They should be in the market for one because they cut John St. Clair, who started 10 games at right tackle last year.

Tony Pashos, signed last year in free agency, played in only three games before an ankle injury forced him on injured reserve. A shoulder injury limited Pashos to five games in 2009 when he was with the 49ers.

"You can go down to the third or fourth rounds and find some pretty solid guys," Mayock said in a conference call previewing the NFL scouting combine, which starts Thursday in Indianapolis. "Jah Reid from Central Florida and Joe Barksdale from LSU – to me they're both going to be right tackles.

"Reid is immense (6-71⁄2, 325 pounds). He doesn't look good in drills, but he looks good when you get 11 players on the field.

"Barksdale is a little bit of an underachiever. He was a starter at LSU. He has all the height and weight and you want, but he's not real consistent."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The draft forum is down the hall and to the left.

As for the read....

Quote:

The NFL draft in April will last seven rounds, so the Cleveland Browns and the league's 31 other teams will get chances to improve their rosters beyond their first picks.

Hot damn!

Quote:

The Browns, 14-34 over the last three seasons, have numerous needs to address, and rounds 2-7 could help fill the gaps.

Quote:

Among them is the right side of the offensive line.

Cleveland almost certainly wouldn't use its first pick -- the sixth overall selection in the draft -- to bolster either the right tackle or right guard position. But it would be no stunner for the Browns to use a relatively high pick at either spot.

Nope, we aren't gonna take a RT with the 6th pick. That's a fact.

Quote:

"Reid is immense (6-71⁄2, 325 pounds). He doesn't look good in drills, but he looks good when you get 11 players on the field.

Haven't seen Reid play....but am leery of someone that is 6'71....(I'm guessing that is 6'7" and wonder if he can move laterally?)

Legend
Legend
I saw Reid play in one of the all-star games(don't remember if it was the shrine or the senior bowl). He moved around fine, actually did a great job getting outside and sealing on a toss right. I'd be fine with him in the 4th or 5th, but I'd prefer Carpenter in the 3rd or 4th or Brewer in the 4th or 5th.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
i think we'd be best off if we re-signe Billy Yates to be our starting RG...he played VERY well in that spot last year, and let Shaun Lauvao be the backup at the guard spots.

i think Billy Yates will be very good in this league.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

The NFL draft in April will last seven rounds, so the Cleveland Browns and the league's 31 other teams will get chances to improve their rosters beyond their first picks.

Hot damn!

To elaborate further on that statement, NFL stands for National Football League.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I saw Reid play in one of the all-star games(don't remember if it was the shrine or the senior bowl). He moved around fine, actually did a great job getting outside and sealing on a toss right. I'd be fine with him in the 4th or 5th, but I'd prefer Carpenter in the 3rd or 4th or Brewer in the 4th or 5th.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hot damn!

To elaborate further on that statement, NFL stands for National Football League.

And thank you too!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Cleveland Browns links: Draft's middle rounds may offer help at right offen

Link Copied to Clipboard