Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
C
I haven't managed to watch a ton but Torrey Smith out of Maryland really caught my eye today. Very fast and beautiful hands in the passing drills....

Anyone had their eyes opened to someone they hadn't been interested in before?

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I most be off today b/c one guy said Titus Young and you say Torrey Smith and they were two of the ones I was most disappointed with. I like Mayo from Oregon, Cobb from Kentucky and Dane from OSU...I think they jumped a round today into the 4th or maybe even late 3rd round. Jimmy Young from TCU who I've not heard much about really caught my eye...caught with his hands, ran pretty good, big strong guy. Baldwin didn't do much for me either...

Helu Jr, the RB from Nebraska, was really fast. Not sure if he can catch, but I've always been impressed watching him play. Shane Vareen looks like a perfect 3nd down back. Kendall Hunter will be good in the NFL...sure 2nd rounder

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Very surprised to see Cecil Shorts (Mount Union WR) put up 21 reps in the 225 ... but then come back and ran in the 4.6's from what I heard unofficially (never caught the official) ... not great for a sm5aller guy.

Leonard Hankerson (WR from Miami) looked impressive from what I saw, could be a guy we could take in the 2nd round? Not sure, don't have solid thoughts on him one way or the other.

I also liked what I saw out of Devine as what he could bring coming out of the backfield, but Devine's size (5'8, 179) still scares me off...

I also heard Sanzenbacher was impressive, as he ran in the 4.5's range for the 40.

I didn't get a chance to watch everything this year (don't have the nfl network at my new place, so I relied on information posted throughout the day, and what I could catch on the computer ...)

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Torrey has one direction, straight, he can't make a cut and fell down on a couple of playes when he was aksed to turn a 90.

The Boise recievers were as advertised, Hankerson ran a much better 40. Baldwin looks like he needs some work.

Cobb looks like an NFL Ready Player, Edmond Gates is faster than the wind but is a project. I liked the way he caught the ball.

For the RB's I have always liked Allen Bradford. Marrio Fannin put up a 4.38 at 230 lbs, but I can't recall anything about him and he played for Auburn. Helu, Vereen, and Todman looked good today.

For the QB's Ponder and Colin K were the most noteworthy, asode from the obvious ones. I really like how Colin throws the ball.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Bradford ran a 4.5 at 240 pounds. Pretty impressive.

Legend
Legend
Dion Lewis
Greg little
tyrod Taylor
Jake locker
Allen Bradford
paea's 49 is pretty darned impressive, but it didn't look like his hands get that far away from his body.

The other big performers of the day I wouldn't say impressed me... I expected Julio jones to crush it, Jeff maehl we already knew could catch the ball. Sanzenbacher did what I expected.

I was expecting more out of (Deandre?) brown from so miss. He looked basically unstoppable in the one game I watched him in this year. I wish they hadn't kept cutting away right before Vincent brown from sdsu. I wanted him to not run too fast hoping he'd fall to us in the third or fourth but I think he ran too slowly for heckert. Shame, I really think he'll be a stud. He has terrific technique and great production against high quality opponents but I don't think we'll give him a shot.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Watched a little each day. Have to say that the media pimping Newton is a bit much for me. I watched him, and I'm not impressed at all with his accuracy. All I got from the combine, is that he appears a bit cocky to me. I know he is a great athelete, but to me his attitude was quite...braylonesque, for lack of a better word.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Exactly,...he had a great crew around him at Auburn, and they won some games "lucky." The kid is a helluva talent. If Holmgren takes him, I will not be very happy.

I don't even think it is a meager consideration, unless there is a trade involved to steal someone else's six first round picks.

Legend
Legend
If Savage was our GM still.. I'd be worried about him turning in Newton's card on draft day... but no way Heckert drafts him.. NO WAY. They are putting all their cards on the table with Colt Mccoy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
As they should,....even if one might think of, or can adequately point out, McCoy's deficiencies, I am really pleased to hear he is the "all-eggs-in-one-basket" man.

Too important to team cohesiveness to do otherwise, new coach or not.

Holmgren and Heckert are running the show. I'm good with it.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
intersting thought....

Colt went as the fourth QB in the draft last year. ( I personally had him at #2 before the shoulder )

what slot would Colt fall in with this group of QB's ???
would he be in front of Gabbert or Newton?

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After Gabbert, Locker, Newton and Mallet for sure.

Close to Colin K. Pounder, and Stanzi

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

After Gabbert, Locker, Newton and Mallet for sure.

Close to Colin K. Pounder, and Stanzi

I hope you are right that those 4 go before Colin Kaepernick. That kid looks like the real deal for a WCO and is who I am hoping slips to where we might draft our mid-round QB prospect.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm thinking we might take a QB even later than that. Someone like Tyrod Taylor (similar player to McCoy. College success, mobile, smaller, not as accurate) or Greg McElroy (who could probably pick up the playbook quickly and be a backup by his 2nd year).

Legend
Legend
If Holmgren is serious about burning a pick on a QB, Taylor would be a prime candidate for me. Guy really cares about winning and seemed like a real leader at VT. I like Kaepernick, too, but I expect he'll end up going in the 3rd or 4th and I don't want us using one of those picks on a QB that's not going to play. After those two, maybe Enderle? Yates? One of those two guys might go undrafted. I think I'd prefer not drafting a QB.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Who's caught your eye at the Combine

Link Copied to Clipboard