Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Landry Jones Returning to School

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_...enior-year.html

Quote:

The quaterback talent for the 2012 draft just got thinner, as Oklahahoma just announced Landry Jones is returning to school for his senior year.

"I want to accomplish the goals that I set before I got here, and there is still a lot more to do," Jones said. "I want to make sure I've exhausted every effort in that area. And I want to be a senior. I enjoy being at OU and with my teammates and look forward to graduating with the guys that were in my class when I got here."

The Artesia, NM, native said the NFL was a strong lure.

"That's the ultimate goal for anyone who plays football," Jones said. "I've thought about that since I was a little boy. It would be a great honor to play in the NFL and that goal will still be there when I finish at Oklahoma."

I'm glad Jones is going back to school. It is the best decision for him because, frankly, he struggled terribly the final month or so of the season and that hurt his draft stock.

Unlike the decision by USC's Matt Barkley to return to school, this decision isn't really a hit to the Dolphins. Jones would probably not have been a top 10 draft pick, given his struggles.

He thus would not have figured in Miami's plans at No. 8 or No. 9 where the Dolphins are scheduled to select. (There will be a coin toss between Miami and Carolina for the No. 8 pick and the loser takes No. 9).

Barkley, by contrast, might have been the second or third quarterback selected and would definitely have been on the radar of both the Dolphins and other teams in the top 10 looking for a quarterback.

~Lyuokdea
C
Legend
Legend
C
I was just about to post this.

Good. I'm glad. I wanted no part of him.

Legend
Legend
I wouldn't say it got thinner...

Because Jones isn't that good...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
Legend
N
smart move by Jones. he needs to prove he can be effective without his safety net (broyles). I thought he was going to be the guy to plummet in this draft (like Mallet did last year)

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Makes our pick a bit more valuable as one less QB is off the board, and if the first round was anything like last year, we're sittin pretty.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

What was thought to be a strong QB class for the 2012 draft is suddenly becoming just the opposite...a weak class of QBs.

Tannehill could be the second QB to come off the board and RGIII might drop, depending on how he shows in workouts.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
true but I think RGIII will look great in workouts because of his athleticism and accuracy. His measurables should be good and he is a very natural and accurate thrower which, with no defense and pressure should look great in workouts.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
unless he measures 5'11"

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

unless he measures 5'11"

I read on here from a former Baylor player turned journalist that RG3 is about 6'2-6'3. I would be shocked if he's 5'11. I think he'll probably measure in at about 6'1 or 6'2. Combine that with his amazing 40 time (whatever it winds up being) and the fact that he's got great accuracy, and there'll be no way he hurts his stock at the combine.

Plus, I really like RG3 and think he will be a stud, and he's my pick for the most likely #1 draft pick for the Browns in the draft. If you don't have a franchise QB, and one is staring you in the face, you draft him. I'm tired of bringing in FAs and 3rd round QBs. Invest in the position and you'll get a return.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
N
Legend
Legend
N
i was noting one skepticism on RGIII that could hurt his stock at the combine. i believe he is likely to measure in at 6'1"

not completely sold on the RGIII v. Flynn debate. I lean towards Flynn because it allows us to use #4 on offensive help other places too right now.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
one interesting thing to consider:

If the Packers franchise Flynn, it may take a 2nd rounder to get him.
If we have to trade up to get RGIII, it may take a 2nd rounder to get him.

So, if we lose a 2nd rounder either way (plausible), then is Flynn+Blackmon(or Kalil) > RGIII?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be shocked if we could move up to #2 for just a second round pick.

Heck, Botcher used a second to move from #7 to #6 to take a guy the Lions weren't going to take at #6 anyway. That's some legacy, to be the only man ever bent over by Matt Millen on a trade.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
dont know if this has been posted...but Landry Jones is stayin in school

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-oklahoma-jonesreturning

Oklahoma QB to return for his senior year

Jan 5, 6:36 pm EST

tweet2
Email
Print

NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—Quarterback Landry Jones has decided to come back for his senior year at Oklahoma, saying “there is still a lot more to do.”

Jones said Thursday that it would be a great honor to play in the NFL, but with most of the offensive line, several receivers and defensive players returning, the team hopes to get another shot at a national championship.

Jones is the Sooners’ all-time leading passer with 12,389 yards.

Coach Bob Stoops said Jones has had a positive influence on and off the field with his teammates and he’s pleased with Jones’ decision. Oklahoma finished the 2011 season at 10-3.

Sooners defensive end Ronnell Lewis, meanwhile, said he plans to skip his senior year and enter the NFL draft.

Lewis had 60 tackles in 10 games, including 13 for a loss, and 5.5 sacks. Over the past three seasons, he’s played in 34 games and collected 119 tackles and 10 sacks. He missed the last three games of the season because of a sprained ligament in his left knee.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Good chance to watch Tyler Wilson tonight -- there's some speculation he will declare with Barkley and Landry going back to school (making this a weak QB class), he may carry a late first/early second grade, despite only having one year starting experience (behind Ryan Mallet)

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 01/06/12 02:56 PM.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting thought. I would definitely take him with our 1b. I might even trade up a few spots from whatever 1b ends up being to ensure that we get him. Though I still believe that he would be better served staying in college one more year. Even with Barkley and Jones staying.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
thanks for the heads-up! will dvr it.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Good chance to watch Tyler Wilson tonight --

lyuo...Tyler Wilson is the QB I liked after studying his video and he did not disappoint last night.

It was not a fantastic performance, but he was playing against a tough defense...20-31 for 216yds and 2 tds (1 for 45 yds, one for 9 yds) and no ints.

What I liked about Wilson, was his ability to threaten with the deep ball, which Kstate had to honor after Wilson threw a 45 yd strike for a TD in the 2nd qtr, which backed off the DB and LBs enough to fun the ball effectively for 129 yds.

Most seem to believe Tyler Wilson, who is a red shirt junior, will not come out. But, with Landry and Barkley returning to college ball for another year, Wilson could move up the draft boards and become a top 10 pick in this draft.

The way I see it, Wilson could get another year OJT in college...or get paid millions and get his OJT sitting on the bench until he is ready to start in the Pros....it is going to be his choice.

We will have to wait to see if he declares.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) The Quarterback Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard