Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think that you should base drafting a QB on weather or not he can start as a rookie.

I didn't neccesarily mean JUST based on that, I guess I should of clarified...

If the Browns feel RG3 and Tannehill over time grade out evenly, then based on how this draft is panning out, wouldn't you take the guy that costs less? Maybe he has to sit for part of this year, who knows...

And drafting RG3 and not starting him is just asking whoever you do start to get crap slung at him constantly... Especially if you're trading up for him...

Thats not just RG3 though, IMO in today's NFL rarely are people going to draft a QB high and "have time" to let him sit. Coaches don't have that luxury..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's what I've been saying all along.

The kid needs time for multiple reasons.

Now that the media has inflated his public perception as that of franchise savior, he and his team are going to have to either make a publicly difficult decision to keep him on the bench...or he's going to come in and play and see how it goes.

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Also I would sit Tannehill if he came here until the bye week.

Even if we drafted him at 4.

I want him to see what happens when the Steelers/Ravens/Bengals come into town.

I don't want it to overwhelm him and kill his confidence.

I'd probably say that for every QB in this draft except for Luck.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that you should base drafting a QB on weather or not he can start as a rookie.

I didn't neccesarily mean JUST based on that, I guess I should of clarified...

If the Browns feel RG3 and Tannehill over time grade out evenly, then based on how this draft is panning out, wouldn't you take the guy that costs less? Maybe he has to sit for part of this year, who knows...

And drafting RG3 and not starting him is just asking whoever you do start to get crap slung at him constantly... Especially if you're trading up for him...

Thats not just RG3 though, IMO in today's NFL rarely are people going to draft a QB high and "have time" to let him sit. Coaches don't have that luxury..

If I'm the Coach ... what the sentiment of the fans are holds no weight with me, my only concern is what I feel is best for the future of the team and said player.

If we Draft Griffen. I would not say that it is a must that he start as a rookie over Colt unless he has shown he is truly ready.

True, head Coach's don't always have that luxury, but Shurmur will here. He will have the support of the FO in this area.

[Linked Image]

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I'd probably say that for every QB in this draft except for Luck.

I'm in complete agreement with you and Mourg in that regard. Luck is the only QB who can walk right into the league and start. RG3 and Tannehill shouldn't come in and start. The good news is that Holmgren doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who will cave and put one of these rook's in right outa the gate. Now towards the end of their first year? Sure, get some experience for the guy heading into the second year.

I'd also say there's bound to be a hint of truth in what Dj says about a QB competition. There will be a faction who still love McCoy. However, I don't believe that'd be a big deal if Griffin were brought in. He's just as likable as Colt and would help people forget about him. Tannehill, on the other hand, doesn't have that "wow!" factor so the odds he'd not be able to shake the "McCoy factor" are much greater. I think if we took Tannehill, it'd be better to ship McCoy out. Griffin? Nah, keep McCoy.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Quote:

I see the same....but the question we and the FO have got to answer is this: how does this Tannehill look compared to RG3 after 20 or so starts? Many say that RG didnt look like a 1st rounder until last season...the question is: does Tannehill, the 20 game starter, look as good as RG the after 20 starts?

I'd be lying if I said I could answer that. I don't have access to video like I did twenty years ago. Thank God for Youtube, hehe. Still, there isn't much "old" video on Griffin for me to make an informed comment comparing the two. If I did, it'd just be lying.

Out of fairness to Mourg, (screw Tannehill, I don't owe him jack ) I decided to go back and watch everything I could find on Tannehill from 2011. There are vids of him from 2010, but that would be selling the kid short so I skipped those until after I'd seen the 2011 stuff. I was hoping I'd see something that I'd missed before. So what did I see?

Lemme get the good stuff outa the way first. Yes, he has an NFL arm, size, and measurables. He throws a VERY tight spiral and has a compact release. He has grade-A wheels (would be A+ if it weren't for the two guys in front of him this year D'oh!) and throws decently on the run.

Now the bad.

Very little difference between the guy from 2010 and the guy from 2011. That is a MAJOR red-flag for me because I can usually at least attempt to make an argument that says if any QB had NFL-quality coaches teaching him, big strides would be made. Well, Sherman is so over-qualified to be a college head coach it's sickening. Furthermore, he's so damned young in terms of knowing the position that he shoulda made big strides regardless of coaching just because he was so raw. I didn't see that at all.

I was hard pressed to find one single play where Tannehill came off of his first read and went to his second. I never saw him go to a third. That's alarming. He stared down his primary and never came off of that guy.

When pressured, his throws became terribly erratic and his decision-making suffered badly. That says he doesn't really understand the position. He only knows where he's supposed to go with the ball out of the gate, but doesn't know what to do if the first read isn't there. If he hasn't made that stride between 2010 and 2011, he isn't going to make it between 2011 and his rookie year in the NFL.

When scrambling his mobile accuracy went down more than Griffin's or Luck's does. I cannot say whether it'll improve over time or not.

All this did was reaffirm what I'd thought before, which is that he's more Chad Henne than anything else. If you're going to take several years to become a #1 QB in the NFL, you're not worth a top-15 pick. If he goes early, it's because a team is desperate and over-pays to get him. I'd grade him ahead of where I had Quinn, but not by much, which means he's a middle-to-late 2nd rounder. Even if we stuck at #22 and took him, I'd still say it's a reach.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I've never bothered to watch Tannehill and I have no horse in this race. But, my question to you is, how, from simply watching recorded TV footage, can you exactly tell what a QB's progression is? How do you know definitively what his 1, 2, and 3 reads are? How do you know what the play design is?

The main reasons I'm asking is that a) I'm doubtful that any normal fan could be accurate in this, but much more importantly, b) I would *love* to be able to do this myself, so please share how you do it if you have a methodology for it.

Legend
Legend
OK, it's only two games, but here's what I was able to find on YouTube for the "every Pass/Run" for Tannehill from this year. I didn't think it would be fair to evaluate him on the previous year vs. LSU (unless he did great, then I'd check it out.)

The biggest thing I hear going for Tannehill is about his experience with a pro style offense and taking snaps under center. He are his "every snap" vs. Northwestern and Arkansas for this year.

Here are ALL of the passes completed or dropped which were snapped from under center that weren't screens or dumps.

dropped skinny post/slant
one pass on 10 yd out route
one slant route
threw behind wide open Fuller on deep pass for TD.
good play action, receiver wiiiide open

Here are the things that I really didn't like from this clip:

terrible pass rolling out right at LB, dropped INT
underthrew TE on PA rollout, INT
frequently missed on dumps and screens

Again, all the completed passes or drops from under center that were not dumps or screens:

10yd comeback complete after stumbling in 5 step drop
underthrown pass not caught on hook, WR slid to ground to try to catch it
nice throw on hook route for 8 yd gain to covered receiver

Things I really didn't like:

waaaay short on deep pass (10 yd underthrown) for INT
missed wide open swope on rollout right off of play action. No defender within 7 yards, receiver only 15 yards from QB
ran on 3rd and ten with 1:21 left in 4th quarter in Ark territory down 7 with no pressure!

I also found a highlight package for the Baylor/A&M game this year. I'm not going to knock the quantity of passes completed from under center since it's not an every-snap package.

I did see more plays that I liked here from under center:

nice cross to swope around 1:15
nice pass to covered swope over middle at 5:20
nice deep comeback off of play action at 6:40
underthrown deep pass to receiver who split 2x coverage, WRs beat DBs by 10 yards

Also saw Griffin @ 4:40, PA from under center, nails wide open #16 in stride.

The point of all this:
Tannehill gets a lot of credit for "playing in a pro style offense" and taking snaps under center. He allegedly has good footwork. I'm not an expert in that, but one of the six completed passes I saw from under center (again, not counting screens and dump-offs) across TWO FULL GAMES he stumbled and almost sacked himself in a 5-step drop.

Griffin gets knocked for his wide receivers being too open, but here two of Tannehill's six completions from under center (vs. NW and ARK) were to receivers 10 yards open. One of those passes was behind the receiver and should have been a TD. There were also some missed passes to wide open receivers.

He did look considerably better in the Baylor game under center.

If those two games were a good sample of A&M's offense for the season, then they take about 75%-80% of their passing snaps from shotgun. Here is Tannehill's completion percentage for the year, and how it matches up against the rest of the Wild West conference:

Code:
RK	PLAYER	TEAM	ATT	COMP	PCT
1** Robert Griffin III, QB BAY 402 291 72.4
2 Brandon Weeden, QB OKST 564 408 72.3
3 Seth Doege, QB TTU 581 398 68.5
4 Jordan Webb, QB KU 281 179 63.7
5 James Franklin, QB MIZZ 376 238 63.3
6 Landry Jones, QB OKLA 562 355 63.2
7*** Ryan Tannehill, QB TA&M 531 327 61.6
8 Collin Klein, QB KSU 281 161 57.3
9 Steele Jantz, QB ISU 259 138 53.3
10 Jared Barnett, QB ISU 220 110 50

And QB rating within the Big XII

Code:
RK	PLAYER	TEAM	RAT
1** Robert Griffin III, QB BAY 189.5
2 Brandon Weeden, QB OKST 159.8
3 Landry Jones, QB OKLA 141.6
4 James Franklin, QB MIZZ 139.9
5 Seth Doege, QB TTU 138.9
6*** Ryan Tannehill, QB TA&M 133.2
7 Jordan Webb, QB KU 126.7
8 Collin Klein, QB KSU 125.6
9 Steele Jantz, QB ISU 106.8
10 Jared Barnett, QB ISU 99.4

And then here he is in comparison with the rest of the NCAA:

QB Rating:
Code:
RK	PLAYER	TEAM	RAT
1 Russell Wilson, QB WIS 191.8
2** Robert Griffin III, QB BAY 189.5
3 Kellen Moore, QB BSU 175.2
4 Case Keenum, QB HOU 174
5** Andrew Luck, QB STAN 169.7
6 Terrance Owens, QB TOL 169.2
7 Keith Price, QB WASH 161.9
8 Matt Barkley, QB USC 161.2
9 Brandon Weeden, QB OKST 159.8
10 Bryn Renner, QB UNC 159.4

53 Ryan Aplin, QB ARST 133.6
54 Nathan Scheelhaase, QB ILL 133.4
55 Tommy Rees, QB ND 133.4
56*** Ryan Tannehill, QB TA&M 133.2
57 Tanner Price, QB WAKE 132.8

Completion Percentage:
Code:
RK	PLAYER	TEAM	ATT	COMP	PCT
1 Kellen Moore, QB BSU 439 326 74.3
2 Dan Persa, QB NW 297 218 73.4
3 Russell Wilson, QB WIS 309 225 72.8
4** Robert Griffin III, QB BAY 402 291 72.4
5 Brandon Weeden, QB OKST 564 408 72.3
6 Terrance Owens, QB TOL 230 166 72.2
7** Andrew Luck, QB STAN 404 288 71.3
8 Case Keenum, QB HOU 603 428 71
9 Nick Foles, QB ARIZ 560 387 69.1
10 Matt Barkley, QB USC 446 308 69.1

51 Chandler Harnish, QB NIU 384 237 61.7
52 Pete Thomas, QB CSU 261 161 61.7
53*** Ryan Tannehill, QB TA&M 531 327 61.6
54 Zach Collaros, QB CIN 272 166 61
55 Marshall Lobbestael, QB WSU 341 208 61

I don't understand what it is that people see in his output that warrants him being in the conversation of the top half of the first round. If someone else has some better performances they can share, please post them. I'd really like to feel good that there is a third great QB prospect in the draft, but I haven't seen him yet. The guy I like most after Luck and RGIII is either Weeden or Osweiler

Legend
Legend

1st half-- worst half i've ever seen him play. Also, rainy day.
2nd play -- how you throw the deep ball
1:00 under center nails deep pass, contested against safety
1:40 under center, moves in pocket, completes pass for 1st down

bad pick end of 1st half
4:30... run-first QB?
4:50... run-first QB? nice pump to freeze LB
6:03... how you throw the deep ball

This is against Texas. It's probably the worst game I saw him play, and I said so the day it happened. However, it does show two nice passes from under center, as well as showing the deep accuracy difference between him and Tannehill. Bear in mind, this is in the rain, too. I'd have posted this in the RGIII thread if there was one.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 03/04/12 03:27 PM.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I'd have posted this in the RGIII thread if there was one.

That's the first thing I've seen posted on here that has legitimately made me laugh in a long time.

~Lyuokdea
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I've never bothered to watch Tannehill and I have no horse in this race. But, my question to you is, how, from simply watching recorded TV footage, can you exactly tell what a QB's progression is? How do you know definitively what his 1, 2, and 3 reads are? How do you know what the play design is?

The main reasons I'm asking is that a) I'm doubtful that any normal fan could be accurate in this, but much more importantly, b) I would *love* to be able to do this myself, so please share how you do it if you have a methodology for it.

Man, I'd love to be able to PM you the great secret to answer your question, but the truth of it is that it's right there in front of you to see.

Lemme start with a ridiculous example then lead you to the answer, hehe.

If I'm facing West and I wanna throw East, if I don't turn around to do it, I'm going to break my back in the process.

Seeing a guy work through his progressions is nothing more than watching his head then his footwork. You cannot throw into the left flat if you're facing the right flat without adjusting your body, and the only way to adjust your body is to start with your feet.

Obviously, watching a guy's head is going to tip you off if he's come to his second read. However, in the case when the secondary receiver is running a route which is rather close in general direction to the first route, if the QB has any chance of not throwing a wounded-duck, he absolutely must move his feet to get his mechanics lined up.

Simply put, you'll see a QB staring at a receiver as he's making his drop, or when he makes his plant before he throws. Let's assume the primary is covered. Really good QB's will then move their feet to adjust their body in order to get into position should his eyes tell him the secondary read is open. QB's who have poor mechanics may move their head first and their bodies second, where they then have to adjust their bodies in order to make an accurate throw.

Even these tapes show more than enough info to tell you if a QB is going to his second read.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL draft: Ryan Tannehill is a risky alternative among quarterbacks

Published: Monday, March 05, 2012

By Jeff Schudel
JSchudel@News-Herald.com
@jsbrownsinsider

Click to enlarge

Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are not the only quarterbacks in the draft next month projected to have successful NFL careers.

If team president Mike Holmgren is unwilling to outbid the Redskins in a trade with the Rams that would put Griffin in an orange helmet, the Browns can trade down and get the third-best quarterback in the draft — Ryan Tannehill from Texas A&M.

Tannehill, 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, is bigger and stronger than Colt McCoy, but he has red flags sticking like post-it notes to his scouting report. He broke his foot in January, and he started only 19 career games at quarterback for the Aggies. McCoy had more than twice as many victories in college (45) than Tannehill had starts.

The Colts have the first pick April 26, followed by the Rams, Vikings, Browns, Buccaneers and Redskins.

Most projections have the Browns and Redskins as the only serious players trying to wrest the second pick from the Rams for the right to draft Griffin, the Heisman Trophy winner from Baylor. The Browns have more to offer, starting with the fourth and 22nd picks in the first round, but Redskins owner Dan Snyder usually gets what he wants, and he usually overpays for it.

According to a report in the Sunday edition of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, neither the Browns nor the Redskins are overwhelming the Rams with initial offers. The report says the Browns don’t want to give up the 22nd pick. It also says the Redskins have offered the sixth pick this year and a first-round pick next year, but not their second pick this year.

Bids are likely to climb as the draft draws near, depending on what quarterback-starved teams do in free agency. Also, no trades can be completed until the league season begins March 13.

The Chiefs’ Kyle Orton and the 49ers’ Alex Smith, along with Matt Flynn of the Packers and most likely Peyton Manning of the Colts will be free agents. The Dolphins and Seahawks are also seeking quarterbacks.

The Redskins have had only three winning seasons since Snyder bought the team in 1999 (just one more than the Browns in the same span), in part because Snyder is always looking for a quick fix through free agency. He gets players with star status, but they have not meshed.

Mike Shanahan is Snyder’s sixth full-time coach, and Shanahan could be made to walk the plank if the Redskins don’t reverse their 5-11 season of 2011.

Griffin could lead that turnaround for the Browns or Redskins. He is the hottest commodity in the draft because it is a given the Colts will take Luck, the quarterback from Stanford.

As exciting as it would be to see the Browns get Griffin, there is a point at which Holmgren and General Manager Tom Heckert would have to say no to the Rams and let the Redskins claim Griffin.

If Tannehill is Plan B for the Browns, they might have to take him higher than is he ranked by most draft analysts, but they wouldn’t have to use the fourth pick on him.

The Rams want to draft tackle Matt Kalil from USC or wide receiver Justin Blackmon from Oklahoma State. Both could be gone if they stay at No. 6 with the first-round pick acquired from Washington.

If the Rams wind up with the Redskins’ No. 6 pick and want to move up to 4, the Browns would be able to accommodate the Rams and make them pay a steep price. The Browns and Rams could swap first-round picks, and the Browns would demand the Rams’ second-round pick (33). In that scenario, the Browns would be picking sixth, 22nd, 33rd and 37th. They might instead get the 39th pick instead of 33rd if the Rams end up with the Redskins’ second pick in a Griffin trade.

Tannehill has huge upside

So what would the Browns be getting if they have to settle for Tannehill? NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says Tannehill is better than Jake Locker, who went eighth to the Titans last year, and Christian Ponder, who went to the Vikings with the 12th pick. Neither distinguished himself as a rookie last year.

Tannehill did not work out at the combine last month because he is recovering from foot surgery he underwent in January.

“I can see all the attributes of a Locker in Tannehill,” Mayock said. “He’s a big, strong kid that can push the ball down the field. He’s athletic. I like everything about him except for the fact that on tape, I think he stares his receivers down and waits for them to come up before he rips it. That’s typical of a young quarterback without a lot of starts.

“I look at him and say kind of like Jake Locker, he’s going to take a little bit of time. It’s going to take a year or so. Nineteen starts is not a lot of starts for a college quarterback.”

Tannehill went to Texas A&M to play quarterback but was stuck third on the depth chart. His coaches experimented with him at wide receiver at practice, and two days later he was in the starting lineup. Midway through his junior season, he went back to quarterback.

The team that drafts Tannehill is going to have to go through some growing pains with him because of his limited experience. Browns fans have had enough of that with their quarterbacks, but if the Browns don’t get Griffin, the next alternative is Tannehill — unless Holmgren signs Matt Flynn in free agency.

“I was frustrated by the fact that I didn’t get to play quarterback,” Tannehill said at the combine. “It’s what I always wanted to be. So I was frustrated by it, but blessed by the opportunity to be able to play another position. Not a lot of people get to contribute in another way to help their team.

“Even though it wasn’t at the quarterback position, I did get experience playing football and seeing the game out there. I learned a lot from it, and fortunately I was able to get back to where I wanted to be under center.”

Tannehill completed 457 of 734 pass attempts for 5,121 yards and 41 touchdowns in his 19 starts. He threw 20 interceptions. He passed for 3,744 yards with 29 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions in 2011, his only full season as a starter.

NFLDraftScout.com offers this scouting report: “Very good accuracy in the short passing game, puts ball on the numbers or in a place where receiver can make a play after the catch, even when throwing off his back foot. Quite accurate making plays on the run, squares his shoulders throwing in either direction ... Makes intermediate throws to the short side of the field, but too often sails throws over the middle or to the sideline from the pocket …

“Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.”

The report goes on to say Tannehill sees the field well, but he has to work on recognizing coverages and picking up blitzes. Mayock sees that weakness as the downside of making only 19 starts in college.

Reason for concern?

Teams also have to be wary of Tannehill’s injured foot. He said the doctor who performed the surgery told him the healing is ahead of schedule.

Tannehill broke his foot on Jan. 12 on a routine rollout while working out in Florida in preparation for the Senior Bowl on Jan. 28.

“Coming to find out, I probably had a stress fracture there that was kind of a ticking time bomb and just waiting for the right moment to pop,” Tannehill said. “So it was very frustrating the fact that it happened, but it was kind of a blessing in disguise at the same time, because I was able to get it fixed.”

Tannehill is confident he will be able to throw, run and do everything the coaches and scouts ask him to do at the Texas A&M pro day on March 29. The Browns’ front office will be there watching. web page

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Maybe it's just me, but that's a bit of a strangely structured article.

There's a TON of draft movement speculation there, having the Rams trade back with the 'Skins then turn right around and trade up with the Browns. That's message board level talk right there. Then the headline is that Tannehill is a risky proposition, but Jeff downplays the foot injury by saying it's ahead of schedule, and poo-pooing Tannehill's shortcomings. For the record, of my criticisms of Tannehill, that foot injury isn't something I'm concerned about.

I don't think he was fully committed to that article. It reads to me that Jeff wanted to say Tannehill is a big risk, but as he put pen to paper he couldn't help but let his like of Tannehill come out, hehe.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but that's a bit of a strangely structured article.

There's a TON of draft movement speculation there, having the Rams trade back with the 'Skins then turn right around and trade up with the Browns. That's message board level talk right there. Then the headline is that Tannehill is a risky proposition, but Jeff downplays the foot injury by saying it's ahead of schedule, and poo-pooing Tannehill's shortcomings. For the record, of my criticisms of Tannehill, that foot injury isn't something I'm concerned about.

I don't think he was fully committed to that article. It reads to me that Jeff wanted to say Tannehill is a big risk, but as he put pen to paper he couldn't help but let his like of Tannehill come out, hehe.

When you think about it, no matter how well constructed an article is today, can you really believe any of them? probably not..

It's gotta be tough to fill a page with anything concrete this time of year.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Well, as a writer, he has a story in place that he's supposed to write about. It should be a strong enough article that it convinces the reader to seriously consider the point. However, all that article did was make me look at the writer, not Tannehill.

The headline gives the impression that Tannehill is a big risk. Yet in the article, he shrugs aside the foot injury, and shrugs aside his perceived negatives.

Now keep in mind I'm not dissin' his article because I don't agree with his opinion on the player. I've given my opinion of Tannehill. These thoughts of mine have absolutely nothing to do with that. I'm speaking only of the premise of the article and how it reads. He didn't convince me that Tannehill is a big risk. All Jeff did was convince me that Jeff doesn't believe his own headline.

Legend
Legend
It leads me to believe that Jeff may have written a fairly neutral article and an editor decided it needed a much more provocative headline.

yebat' Putin
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Hehe...Very well could be. However, based on many of the articles we've seen around here for years which contain spelling errors and flat-out bonking of facts, are we even sure there IS an editor?

Legend
Legend
Yes I've noticed that spell check seems to have made some people WORSE spellers.. It's hard to believe they can't have an English student co-op read this stuff before it comes out.. but that would delay it by 5 minutes.

yebat' Putin
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Ryan Tannehill

Link Copied to Clipboard