Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I said this in another thread, but I will say it again. The Best playmaker on O, in this draft is RB. I don't understand all this ga-ga over a WR, when Richardson is the best playmaker on O. 20-25 touches a game for RB, vs 5-6 for the WR.

Plus he is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. You can't say that about any player we have now. I think I got 1 reply from my other post. Not sure why some want to avoid talking about the RB vs WR? I thought we all wanted a playmaker?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Haha! I typed in draft suprises and guess what I came up with..Maybe I should start writing! Crazy.
draft Shake-up

If all it took was our 2 1sts, a 2nd and 4th to get Luck, I would do that trade so quickly, my head would spin. I think Luck is a longshot for us but hey, crazier things have happened.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
I would LOVE to see us get Luck ...... I just do not see a team like Indy, that knows, without any doubt, the value of a franchise QB, passing on one when they are sitting in position to fill the position for the next 10-15 years.

I would love to see it happen, and would love to be able to trade up ..... but I just don't see it happening under any circumstances.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Haha! I typed in draft suprises and guess what I came up with..Maybe I should start writing! Crazy.
draft Shake-up

If all it took was our 2 1sts, a 2nd and 4th to get Luck, I would do that trade so quickly, my head would spin. I think Luck is a longshot for us but hey, crazier things have happened.

Yeah, and the second isn't till next year and we have two 4ths this year. Might have to kneel down and kiss the ring too..lol

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The question is....

How is the neck doing.

Is Peyton on board with it...

Can you stomach 4 to 5 years of having Luck on the bench?

What do they think of Kalil or Blackmon....

Manning has indicated that he will be a Colt for life.... I see him coaching the Colts after retirement.

If we knew the answers to those questions, we would have an idea, I am just so frustrated with Indy, I am beside myself...

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I know we need a WR but I think I'd rather get one with our 2nd 1st round pick or 2nd or 3rd round... just think that unless he's gonna be an amazing athlete at 4 it's just way too high.

But can we get a WR the quality of Blackmon with those other picks? If not, I say take him at 4.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Perhaps it is the marginal utility a WR creates.

If we get a top notch #1 wideout ... Greg Little becomes a great #2. Norwood/Mass/Cribbs fight it out as the 3 and 4 and can be more effective then lining up as the #1 and #2 (where Mass and Cribbs started in training camp). It also pulls the safeties back into coverage and doesn't allow them to stack the box. PLUS ... in a west coast offense you do need to have backs that are dynamic ... but if you don't have a wide receiver who people will fear and actually cover then what's the point of throwing?

A top flight wideout opens up passing lanes for other wideouts AND opens the run game. The question is whether or not Blackmon is that.

Meanwhile ... Richardson would be an upgrade ... but the question is by how much? Ogbayanna was looking decent but those running lanes are going to be pretty small whether it's hillis, hardesty, obie, or richardson unless we can have a threat of throwing farther than 10 yards downfield.

That's probably the love of a receiver but not sure. It might also have to do with the fact that any team can plug in late round running backs and make them look good (Arian Foster - undrafted ... Peyton Hillis - 7th round ... James Starks - 6th round ... Jon Dwyer - 6th round ... Evan Royster - 6th round ... Chris Ivory - Undrafted .. Javon Ringer - 5th round ... Bernard Scott - 6th round .. Ryan Torrain - 5th Round .. Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th Round ... )

Obviously there are more and I think I missed a few ... but that's just some of the late round gems who have helped their teams even if none are gamechangers. And as others have said ... how is the state of the team since AP, CJ2K, or even LT have been with their respective teams. I think a great WR helps everyone. A good WR can't create seperation (see: our game film last 3 years). A great RB can help create play action and can control the clock but can't be a *true* threat to go 80 yards on any given play. They also have a shelf life of about 6 to 8 years. Meanwhile, even an above average RB can still set up the play action game, open up deep throws by having safeties creep up, can control the clock, and can move the chains on short yardage situations.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Manning is 35. He's not going to play forever.

I could see him playing one more year if he thinks that he can go for a ring ..... then setting off into the next part of his life.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The question is....

How is the neck doing.

Is Peyton on board with it...

Can you stomach 4 to 5 years of having Luck on the bench?

What do they think of Kalil or Blackmon....

Manning has indicated that he will be a Colt for life.... I see him coaching the Colts after retirement.

If we knew the answers to those questions, we would have an idea, I am just so frustrated with Indy, I am beside myself...

I gotta tell you, recent history aside, having a highly touted, well thought of young QB sit behind a Probowl level, HOF Bound QB sounds a lot like a dream.

Now talk about recent history (favre to rodgers) and you have to think that there is value in Luck sitting and waiting behiind Manning.

As a fan, not only could I stomach it, I'd welcome it. I really wish the Browns had such a problem.,

What a fantastic situation to be in.

Which is why I have little doubt that Luck will be a Indy Colt on draft day and I doubt there is any trade bait that you could offer Indy that would allow you to get the pick from them.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The key is having that great QB to sit behind and learn from. Without that here, I still feel it's more important to build the team first. Plugging a young QB into a solid nucleus of playmakers makes everything better. We're not signing Peyton Manning or Drew Brees here, so to throw a young QB into this mix won't work much better than it did with McCoy. I still think he can improve with the right people around him, and if not, then next year the team can spend more via draft picks to move into position to take the next great thing at QB.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Again, I hate saying this, but that's exactly how the steelers did it. They had a solid team and then came Big Ben..

it's not like that method hasn't already been proven to work also... Right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm hoping it's offense just like most of us, but I don't believe Heckert when he made it seem like that's what they wanted. Maybe in a perfect world, but they are going to take the best player that is on that board.

If it came down to Claiborne v Blackmon, I'll take Claiborne. I just think he's better.

I have no problem with this organization taking the best player, all while it looks like they are building a defense. The other 3 teams in our division (which oh by the way is the best division in football) all play really really good defense.

This team needs help at receiver, it looks the worst when you watch on Sundays, but they honestly just lack great players all around the board.

I wouldn't be surprised if RG3 is their guy and they are just sending out mixed signals and making it seem like he's not their guy, not their fit.

I could also see them pass on RG3 or trade the pick to someone who wants them.

The one thing I know is that it's almost a 0% chance of us trading up and parting with 1's, 2's and future 1's and 2's. The most you'll see us trade up is the Phil Taylor situation which wasn't much of a loss with picks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Obviously there are more and I think I missed a few ... but that's just some of the late round gems who have helped their teams even if none are gamechangers. And as others have said ... how is the state of the team since AP, CJ2K, or even LT have been with their respective teams. I think a great WR helps everyone. A good WR can't create seperation (see: our game film last 3 years). A great RB can help create play action and can control the clock but can't be a *true* threat to go 80 yards on any given play. They also have a shelf life of about 6 to 8 years. Meanwhile, even an above average RB can still set up the play action game, open up deep throws by having safeties creep up, can control the clock, and can move the chains on short yardage situations.

I dunno. I see Trent Richardson as the same talent as LaDanian Tomilinson. And he was a great pick for the Chargers................ He played for 9 years on that football team.

He's a very rare player. I feel much better about him than any RB I've probably ever seen. You want my stamp on a really good player in this draft, he's got it. He's a freakin sure thing. Last year my stamp was on AJ Green. I was so upset when the Bengals picked him. This year, Richardson is a can't miss prospect. He's potential Hall Of Famer. I just dunno if Blackmon is

Mention the backs you want, but none of those guys were Tomilinson's quality. And you may say "well how many superbowls has Tomilinson been to" But I say this is the first time Andre Johnson's been in the playoffs, Larry Fitz hasn't won a superbowl, TO never won a superbowl. It can be said for any position where you can pull guys out that are successful in later rounds.

Doesn't change the fact that Richardson will be one of the very best RBs in the NFL. And all we gotta do is take him because he'll be there. Grab another RT and we'll have a great O-Line to run behind. Especially if we stop lining up Evan Freakin Moore at TE

I'm not saying let's take a look at Mark Ingram, Darren McFadden, or Beenie Wells (as in any old highly regarded RB). Richardson is an elite prospect. The best at his position and probably the best offensive player in the draft (him or Andrew Luck)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
What would you guys think of this...

If H&H think/target Richardson as their #1, but think they could trade down to the 8-10 range to pick up an extra pick 2nd round and then move up by trading their 1B and 3rd round pick to somewhere in mid-teens (16 - 18 range) to take G DeCastro. It would give us Richardson and DeCastro plus another second round pick instead of a third...Thoughts??

C
Legend
Legend
C
1. I don't like taking any RB's that early.
2. I don't think Heckert will "target" anyone.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I would like to move down (or rather wouldn't prefer it but would be ok with it ..) ONLY IF the value was there.

What I mean is ... you don't move down unless:

A. The team who wants to move up is going to give you more value than what you can add to the team by staying put.

and B. You are comfortable leaving whoever it is you want on the table because you can't be sure that they will be there.

So I'm not so much in favor of trading down to try and get cute and pick up a guy - that can haunt you (first thought are the Ngata-Wimbley move ... lol)

But if it's Washington or Miami who want to move up then 1. Can they give us something that adds more value than what we can get by taking the BPA at that slot. and 2. Are we prepared to have the playmakers we want be off the board?

I would love to get a pick at about 38 or 40 and still have the 6th to 8th ... but if it's so that another team can take a franchise QB in Griffin - no way. I'd want more.

Then again ... if Heckert and Company Evaluates the class and thinks the dropoff is after 3 (let's say the pool is Luck, Kalil, and Claiborne and they are all gone - then the guys at 4 until 10 are all similar grades) ... then why not drop a bit especially if we are lukewarm on the guys and are willing to pass on them?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
In that scenario...we then trade the 2 seconds (if that's what it takes) to get back into the first and try and grab Wright at maybe 26-28?? It would give us immediate upgrades at all three positions (RB, RG, WR) and that is without free agency (we could throw a ton of money at some defensive free agents). Add some talent on the defensive side with good experience to help teach our younger players....Thoughts??

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
And those vets could also help teach the players we take in rounds 4-6 because I would hope they would draft some defensive players with great upside. Someone like Cliff Harris could be taken in the 4th...I like the SS from LSU Brandon Taylor in the 6th...find a LB and DE with some talent...could be a decent thing

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) What does everyone think about this?

Link Copied to Clipboard