Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Also, a 27-year-old QB doesn't really fit into a rebuilding plan, in two years when we are actually good our QB would be nearing the end of his prime.

Most of the QB's that are good enough to stay in the league a while are very capable of playing until they are nearly 40.
If you got a 27 year old and *ONLY* got 8 years from him, he'd still be only 35 - one year older than Tom Brady is right now..... so I'd say that your theory on 27 year olds is kinda invalid.

I think both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are 35 years old, with no signs of regression on Brady's behalf and already he has the wear and tear on his body of more years in the saddle.

I'll tell you that I would have a hard time passing on Weeden at 37 if he is on the board and we didn't go that route in the first round.

If you told me that we can get 8-10 years out of any 2nd round pick regardless of position in this day and age I would be very happy with that.

If your where to tell me that we could have a franchise type QB for 8-10 years, then I would be overwhelmed with joy

Especial if he has his College teammate to throw to

And there are still 8 or more drafts in between that selection to find another without pressing the issue.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Considering that we can't seem to keep a QB on the roster more than 4 years, I'd say that age shouldn't really be a concern for us, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
it's just so hard to project a QB of that age. he's physically and mentally more mature than the guys he was playing against. also, his body will not bounce back as quickly as the younger guys when he takes his initial abuse (just how it goes as you get older).

alot more risk than just how much time he might have left to play.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yup, no telling at all. I mean, Tom Brady was 31 when he was lost for the season because of having his knee taken out.... he hasn't been the same since. Not a single Super Bowl win.

Browns is the Browns

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
He was sacked 20 times in two years with 1,075 pass attempts.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
He also bought 14 oranges in three trips to the grocery store.

Ok, I don't have a link for that stat, but it's just as relevant to the age thing as the sack numbers

Browns is the Browns

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

He also bought 14 oranges in three trips to the grocery store.

Ok, I don't have a link for that stat, but it's just as relevant to the age thing as the sack numbers

It was a general reply to the wear and tear. Not relevent I know, more JFYI.

14/3=4.66667 now the question is... was one a Clementine and not an orange?

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Considering that we can't seem to keep a QB on the roster more than 4 years, I'd say that age shouldn't really be a concern for us, lol

I think in terms of combination of picks.

To me if Brandon Weeden is 22 or 23, then he is probably assured to be a first round pick. There is however a strong possibility that he will fall some in the Draft due to his age. With this knowledge in hand and not pressing the issue as to having to use a first round selection on a QB I like the following combinations and turns of events to happen.

The Redskins (btw I am part Cherokee and this doesn't offend me) trade up above us and takes RG3 leaving us in all likely hood the choice of Blackmon and Claiborne to name the obvious.

If we where to take Blackmon at 4 and Jenkins at 22, then Weeden at 37 or later perhaps depending on how far we would like to gamble that he will fall due to his age and perhaps 3 teams already selecting a QB (Luck, RG3 are gone for certain). We could also use our 3rd round pick coupled with one of our 4th round picks to move back into the second round like we did with Hardesty and use the 37th selection on a DE or perhaps a RT prospect.

I would feel much safer doing this then spending two first round picks on a on player (RG3).
Stock piling picks can help you maneuver in the draft and I don't mind using them to do so, but giving up two first round picks when most teams would kill for 2 chances in the first round is not to my liking, because it's pressing the issue and putting all of your eggs in one basket so to speak and (if) you get it wrong then you just squandered a golden opportunity to greatly improve the 'team' in one draft.
BTJMO.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yup, no telling at all. I mean, Tom Brady was 31 when he was lost for the season because of having his knee taken out.... he hasn't been the same since. Not a single Super Bowl win.

LOL ... Ya he sux's

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

it's just so hard to project a QB of that age. he's physically and mentally more mature than the guys he was playing against. also, his body will not bounce back as quickly as the younger guys when he takes his initial abuse (just how it goes as you get older).

alot more risk than just how much time he might have left to play.

I don't think his case would be any different then any other who plays the position.
I still felt in my prime at 35 and with proper conditioning I just don't think that is as big an issue as you might think.
Most don't see that change until after 35.

There is an adjustment period with learning the pro game with all rookie QB, but his maturity I think works in his favor as far as being prepared to come in and learn on the job as did Newton and Dalton did last season.

[Linked Image]

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

As I was perusing various articles last night, one thing stuck out to me ...... and that was when Holmgren was asked about signing a free agent QB, he responded by saying:

"That's probably not the way we'll go about it," Holmgren said, via The Cleveland Plain Dealer. "You never know. There are a few guys in the league who have started and will be free agents. We're going to look at them. We'll evaluate all of them."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/51637/browns-not-looking-to-add-free-agent-qb

That kinda leads me to believe that they aren't looking at free agent types as the probable solution.

That kinda leaves either a high draft pick QB coming in as the starter, or a lower draft pick guy in a backup/developmental role. I really think that those are the 2 top options that front office has working right now. (unless they can trade for a guy they really like)

Here's some added context in the discussion (Q&A) leading up to the part YT posted...

Cleveland Browns Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert say "there's a lot of hope" -- Tony Grossi's take

January 05, 2012

Time for Q&As:

On McCoy's future: Holmgren says "he can be (the guy), but I'm not ready to say that yet. He played young at times. Was I pleased? Yeah, at a lot of the stuff he did. My opinion of Colt has not changed. He has a lot of the intangibles. Ultimately though the quarterback is judged on how well your team did. I'm not ready to anoint Colt yet. Do I love him? Yes I do. We have three good quarterbacks on our team now."

Holmgren backtracks on previous comments about not wanting a quarterback competition. "Sometimes circumstances dictate that," he said. "Last year the job was his. Competition will take place, but the decision I think probably will come earlier."

Have to get better?

"It's hard to judge this season because our offense just wasn't good enough. The quarterback's a big piece of it, but, shoot, you've got to throw it to somebody, they have to block. The quarterback is only part of it."

"I believe in the players we have. One way or the other, whoever's playing quarterback for us, we're gonna coach the heck out of him and I expect him to get help."

Need a new quarterback?

"We'll probably bring in a new quarterback every year. This year will be no different."

Heckert is asked about a QB in free agency?

"That's probably not the way we'll go about it. You never know. There are a few guys in the league who have started and will be free agents. We're going to look at them. We'll evaluate all of them."

web page

Concerning Heckert's comment about a QB in free agency...sounds to me like he purposely trying to be non committal about the direction the Browns might go.

...Heckert first says, free agency is not the way the Browns will go about it...then he says, "You never know"...which I take to mean a qb in free agency could be a possibility.

...then Heckert goes on to say.."There are a few guys in the league who have started and will be free agents. We're going to look at them. We'll evaluate all of them."

...I thought of FA QB Jason Campbell after reading Heckerts comment above. Actually, there are several FA QBs who have started so it's hard to know who Heckert might have been referring to.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"We have three good quarterbacks on our team now."

Dawn,might have helped us out if we would have put one of 'em on the field.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

we used them as decoys

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

we used them as decoys

Too funny

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Do I wish we had had Campbell this year? Yes.

Do I want him next year? Not so much.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

These are the three most obvious ways the Browns might go to fill their qb needs...I'm sure there are other possibilities under consideration.

Of these three...I like the Flynn option the best.

The next option would be continue schooling McCoy.

The last option I would consider is RGIII at any cost.

...but hey, that is just one fans opinion...

Of the 3 options, my first option is to cut Seneca Wallace and go with McCoy but get some weapons around him.

The second option would be to cut Seneca Wallace and draft someone like Nick Foles and some weapons to go with him.

The next option would be to cut Seneca Wallace and sign a better FA QB (Manning?) to be the starting QB and allow Colt to sit and to get some weapons to go with him.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I take it you're not a Seneca Wallace fan...

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Just Another QB Thread (Bud Shaw Article)

Link Copied to Clipboard