Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Don’t believe all the pre-draft/pre-free-agency talk
Posted by Bernie Kosar on March 9, 2012 – 10:55 pm

By Bernie Kosar, Special Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Here are my takes on some key Browns and NFL issues:

On pre-free-agency/pre-draft talk: This is a tough time of the year for all the Tom Heckerts, GMs, coaches, and executives of the league, because every word is scrutinized. Every body movement, every inflection is scrutinized and judged. You’re really looking at anything that could make your team better – any player that could make your team better now and in the future without giving away maybe some of your plans.

On rampant trade speculation about the Browns and other teams looking to move up in the draft for Robert Griffin III: In the NFL, almost never are the deals done this early, especially when it comes to the draft. As a matter of fact, and ironically, probably the last time a team prematurely made a deal was in 1985 when Houston and the Minnesota Vikings swapped second- and third-round picks because the Vikings and Bud Grant wanted to draft me. I ended up going in the supplemental draft to the Browns, of course, and the Vikings didn’t end up getting the quarterback they wanted. Teams know that it’s incredibly early, that there’s a poker game going on with how the dominoes are going to fall. Knowing that guys like Peyton Manning available, teams are not sure exactly what to do, and they don’t want to prematurely rush to a decision that could ultimately not be a good one, given that the draft isn’t until the end of April.

On the Browns’ selective approach to free agency: I know it doesn’t make for the sexiest story or the sexiest offseason, but history has shown that guys are free agents for a reason. They usually have some scars or skeletons in their closets that make it the reason why they are available. Very rarely do guys who get the big paper, the over-blown contracts, turn out to be a great success. Selectively finding key pieces to supplement your roster tends to be the better success ratio for the better development of your team.

On the Browns or any team not being able to keep all of their free agents: One of the awesome things about the league, and tough things about the league, is the transition and turnover. Even on the best of teams, you have 20- and 25-percent turnover on your rosters annually. And on other teams, it’s up in the 35-percent range. That’s stuff that happens and you have to kind of gear towards it. It’s a youthful game. It’s an athletic game and you don’t want to be caught like some teams tend to get caught. Teams that keep guys that year or two too long miss out on the possible replacement that can contribute and be more productive and make more plays currently.

Be sure to catch Bernie Kosar’s regular appearances on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford,” Monday through Friday, 6-7 p.m. ET, live on ESPN 850 WKNR and ClevelandBrowns.com

http://blogs.clevelandbrowns.com/2012/03/09/dont-believe-all-the-pre-draftpre-free-agency-talk/

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow...very well-said Bernie...and in all honesty there's no homerism in my support of this article.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
OK .... so like most of us he was wrong on the RG3 trade happening this early.

He has repeated, almost word for word, what Heckert said about free agents ...... about how they are free agents for a reason.

Then he has excuses ready for not being able to sign our own guys ...... if we can't.

Not a big fan of apologist type articles, and this one is a purely preemptive, apologist article. All of the excuses, some right out of Heckert's mouth, are right there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

OK .... so like most of us he was wrong on the RG3 trade happening this early.

He has repeated, almost word for word, what Heckert said about free agents ...... about how they are free agents for a reason.

Then he has excuses ready for not being able to sign our own guys ...... if we can't.

Not a big fan of apologist type articles, and this one is a purely preemptive, apologist article. All of the excuses, some right out of Heckert's mouth, are right there.

Not everything is a conspiracy.. except when they say things you don't want to believe.. then of course, it is a conspiracy....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
I agree with Kosar said. There are guys on the roster every year who want a big pay day, want a fresh start, etc. We are always going to lose a few players. Additionally, thinking back on the free agent era, I am really hard pressed to recall any big money free agent player the Browns have signed that has been a significant contributor and lived up to the contract.

Even Butch Davis commented to the fact that the pro-bowler free agents seldom became pro-bowlers with a new team.

We all say it... the best teams build through the draft.

Thus, having more draft picks = good. Trading several potential staters/picks for one start = unwise.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Teams that keep guys that year or two too long miss out on the possible replacement that can contribute and be more productive and make more plays currently.

this is the one statement that makes me think there is a slight chance even at 4 that we go Trent Richardson...

I dont think I would like it initially.. as a matter of fact.. I wont like it.. but come Sunday I'm sure he will make me change my mind.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
If we don't resign Hillis, then I'm all in on Richardson at 4. If we do resign I want Claiborne.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Teams that keep guys that year or two too long miss out on the possible replacement that can contribute and be more productive and make more plays currently.

this is the one statement that makes me think there is a slight chance even at 4 that we go Trent Richardson...

I dont think I would like it initially.. as a matter of fact.. I wont like it.. but come Sunday I'm sure he will make me change my mind.

It doesn't make me think that at all. Not until I read what you wrote had that even entered into my mind.

But, since you bring it up, it seems to me that the Browns might not be in a big hurry to sign Hillis (and his antics - whatever his own mind thinks - will cost him dollars in negotiations with whatever team he eventually signs with) and could very well look to draft his replacement in the draft. That player may not even be a fullback like Hillis, but someone smaller, quicker and craftier.

Taking that to other positions, it seems to me that Cribbs could fit that mold too. I like Cribbs' fire, but something about the whole contract issue didn't sit well with me. I think Massaquoi could be on the trade or chopping block too.

Expanding that to the OL, maybe Steinbach's tenure in Cleveland is about over too. I think that we'll get two OL in this draft, one guard and one right tackle.

Going to the QB position, we could suggest that Seneca Wallace will be finding roots elsewhere (or the unemployment line). I know, they signed him to a 3-year deal just before the lockout last year but his attitude is garbage and he should be shown the door or traded for whatever value can be gotten.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Kosars view from the main site

Link Copied to Clipboard