Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I started off wanting to make a thread about underrated players and realized I started filling up a team's roster. Here are 3rd day guys I really like. I listed the round I expect they'll go and the round that I think their talent says they should go. This is just for fun. If you want to add your own third-day prospects you like, or even your own third day team, please go for it!

The guys on this list I want most for the Browns are Ron Brooks, AJ Jenkins, Marvin McNutt, and Andrew Datko.

QB Austin Davis, So Miss [6th] -- He was really impressive the one time I got to see him vs. Houston in the CUSA Championship. I think he's got some skills and mobility. Good project pick IMO if you are a team so inclined to do so.

RB Antwon Bailey, Syracuse [UDFA (5th)] -- Has tremendous speed and burst. Saw him in NFLPA game and he seemed like the player most worth drafting there. He is in top gear two steps off the snap.

WR AJ Jenkins, Illinois [4th (2nd)] -- Great shake to get open. Good hands. From all accounts I've seen, a precise route runner.

WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa [5th (3rd)] -- Plays with intensity and makes big plays at important times. Good frame to make catches and YAC.

WR Devon Wylie, Fresno St [5th (4th)] -- Special change-of-direction ability. Can knock you on your butt without touching you in the open field. Looked like he was playing against rec leaguers returning punts in the Shrine game.

TE Chase Ford, Miami [7th] -- More of a pass-catching type, didn't play a big role in Miami's offense, but has the body type and pretty good hands. Probably every bit as talented as Jordan Cameron, but will go much later.

OT Andrew Datko, FSU [4th (2nd)] -- His internet stock tanked due to injury, but was an excellent player before the shoulder injury. Andre Branch is considered a first round talent by some and Datko completely shut him down when FSU played Clemson this year. He was truly dominant.

OT Levy Adcock, Ok St. [5th (3rd)] -- Has great feet for a RT. I know he's been talked about a lot on this page, so I considered leaving him off. Feel like I'm poaching here. I don't know why he wasn't invited to the combine.

OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH) [4th (2nd)] -- He crushed the Shrine game. Completely dominated the LOS and could have been named game MVP. No excuse for him not getting a combine invite. His pro day results would have put him in the top 5 in all categories for an OG and he weighs 345 pounds. He would be my number one target at OG if I wanted us to draft one.

OG Rokevious Watkins, SC [UDFA (5th)] -- Melvin Ingram credits playing against him in practice as helping him to get to where he is today. He doesn't get very much press and could go undrafted.

C William Vlachos, Alabama [7th (5th)] -- He's not pretty, but he anchored the line that protected for the top RB prospect in the last two drafts. That's got to be worth something.

RDE Julian Miller, WVU [7th (5th)] -- Really athletic guy. Showed a lot of burst and agility in the Shrine game. Has long arms.

UT Jaye Howard, Florida [5th (4th)] -- Looked great in Senior Bowl practices. Looks like a UT or 3-4 DE. Could be a good depth pickup for 3rd down.

NT Akiem Hicks, Regina (CAN) [6th (4th)] -- Big, strong nose tackle who was recruited by LSU, ended up going to Regina after some recruiting violations IIRC. Definitely looks the part and showed some ability in the Shrine game.

LDE Malik Jackson, TENN [5th (4th)] -- Good pass rusher despite really big body. A nice choice to play the strong side... won't get overwhelmed in the run game but can still rush.

MLB James Michael Johnson, Nevada [4th] -- He stood out to me when I was watching all of Nevada's games to argue with Mourg and Django about Dontay Moch. He's not a special athlete, but he is a good football player.

OLB None! -- I can't find an OLB that I like that isn't rated in the 3rd or higher now. bummer.

CB Ron Brooks, LSU [6th (3rd)] -- "That's their third corner," said a flabbergasted Kirk Herbstreit to Brent Musberger after Ron Brooks made a terrific interception vs. Alabama downfield. I really think the only reason he's considered a day-3 prospect is the fact that he was only the 3rd corner on LSU's defense. That's not too much of an indictment, though, as Claiborne and Mathieu (the guys in front of him) are both projeced to be top-5 draft picks! He had the fastest 40 of all CBs at the combine at 5'10", 190#. It's not crazy to say that LSU had the best trio of corners in the country, including the NFL.

CB Coty Sensabaugh, Clemson [7th (5th)] -- He was really fluid and showed good COD at the combine. Can be a depth contibutor at a tough position to play. Seemed to belong with some of the higher-rated guys who performed really well like Hosley.

FS Tysyn Hartman, Kansas St [7th (5th)] -- Was the leader of the KState defense. Played really well until his concussion to end the season. Smart guy and a solid tackler. Supposed to be a good team guy.

SS Antonio Allen, SC [4th (2nd)] -- Very talented player at SC, played mostly at the LOS. Natural blitzer that goes for the ball. Makes tackles at and behind the LOS. Looked very good in coverage drills at the Senior Bowl. He was asked to mainly play in the box at SC, but I think he could be one of those combo safeties that teams rely on. Not a natural centerfielder, but can stick with receivers and TEs.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I haven't watched enough yet to get a good list, but at the moment:

Olivier Vernon - Not a great pass rusher, which is why he'll be around on Day 3, but gets off blocks and makes tackles in the run game as well most of the 1st Round DEs.

T.Y. Hilton - Has great acceleration and burst - good hands catcher. I think Kendall Wright has been more productive, and is a sneakier route runner, but I don't think Hilton is far behind.

~Lyuokdea
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ryan Broyles, WR Oklahoma

Even if we need to injury hide him for a year it'd be well worth it day 3.

I see him as Derek Mason 2.0 which would be awesome.

He is my favorite value play by far this year

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
I agree on Broyles. I like both him and Criner as mid-to-late WRs. the only reason I think Broyles will drop is his likely start to the year on PUP, but for a team building for the future, why should we care (much).

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Teams will be considering Criner by early to mid 2nd round . . .

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

haven't been following that closely. he was a 3rd 'at best' guy just a couple of weeks ago. he's a guy I was hoping would stay there or drop lower and we could 'steal'. figures.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yeah, that's pretty much the reason I haven't even been mentioning him. Seems like after the senior bowl he went from 5th round to 3rd round.

N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, I just did a few checks around and he's listed equal or better than Sanu? I guess that's why we all liked him so much for value when he was lower though.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

haven't been following that closely. he was a 3rd 'at best' guy just a couple of weeks ago. he's a guy I was hoping would stay there or drop lower and we could 'steal'. figures.

I said they WILL be, not SHOULD be . . . I definitely see him going in the 2nd.

What's the word on Chris Givens out of Wake Forest and Marvin Jones out of Cal? Seems like I've seen them slated to go all over the place . . .

B
Legend
Legend
B
I like Antonio Allen a lot. I watch a lot of SEC football, and the Gamecocks are always a team I try to catch....I like the "Ole Ball Coach".....but Allen will bring a lot of value as a 4th rounder. The guy always seemed to be in the right spot to make solid defensive plays. He will start in the NFL.

I'll add QB B.J Coleman of UT Chattanooga. The hometown stuff aside, I think he will be a pretty good QB in the NFL.

He got caught up in all the Kiffin stuff at Tennessee and transferred out of UT....many thought he should have started as a Soph at UT after a redshirt, but he didn't and rather than ride the Lane Train, he jumped....shows he is pretty bright as well. He is a solidly built player, has a good arm, and is smart. The WCO might be his calling.

Another set of circumstances and he might be in this draft after guiding Tennessee through 3 years of starting SEC play and be mentioned as a late 1st rounder..

I think he has real value. On just a talent to "glitz" basis, he might become the steal of the draft. He is way under where he should be.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You have a lot of potential day 2 guys for an All Third-Day Team

Here are some "deep sleepers" (all 200+ on nfldraftscout)

CB Asa Jackson
OLB Carder
WR Page
S McCray
OT M.Jones
FB Smelley
CB Sensabaugh
DE J.Miller (agree on those last 2)
OLB Trevathan
DT Howard (agree)
FS C.Thompson
LB N.Goode
WR Maze
CB E.Davis
G Dennis
RB A.Thomas
CB T.Frederick
TE Paulson
CB Wade
OLB Burris
G Beachum
DE Francis
WR Brazill
S Guy
CB/FS Golden
DE Alexander
WR L.Lewis
DL Conrath
CB Fenelus
T/G Zusevics
WR J.White
G R.Watkins (agree)
DE C.Law
LB B.Marshall
CB Marrow
WR Boykin
WR Mayo
DL Binns
DT Harrell
FS Thorpe
G Asper
WR Edwards
QB Brantley
G Blackwell
FS P.Thomas
DT R.Moore
WR Talley
S T.Henry
C/G Snow
QB Persa
DT R.Cameron

Those are my favs from 200-750 overall on their list

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Peen, I was waiting for you to chime in on Coleman. I like him a lot but you talked him up before I'd ever seen him play, so I wanted to get your take on him here. Thanks.

Django, who do you think might go day 2 on this list? Allen? Who else? Thanks.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Maybe I sounded too harsh...I said "potentially" guys like Allen, Jenkins, Datko, M.Jackson and Howard could go late 3rd...decent list overall, really like Jenkins, Jackson and Howard too

Somewhat torn on Datko..if Potter is there on day 3 I'd prefer him

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Peen, I was waiting for you to chime in on Coleman. I like him a lot but you talked him up before I'd ever seen him play, so I wanted to get your take on him here. Thanks.

Django, who do you think might go day 2 on this list? Allen? Who else? Thanks.

No problem man.

You seem up on this and know how things sometimes go.....my background is baseball, but football isn't any different. In most cases, 60% of the battle with these guys is being put in to a situation where they can succeed. Some players are given one shot to fail. Others are give multiple chances to fail.

In baseball it is said a left handed pitcher with any talent is going to be given multiple chances to fail.

A guy like Coleman could have been a star in the SEC....I really believe he could have. I like HS football and go to many games in the area each year. I just pick a match-up that appeals and go...and I went to many McCallie games(where Coleman played) and he was the clear cut best player on the field every time. He commits to Tn. and then the team makes a coaching change and brings in a nit-wit like Lame and everything changes. The kid gets a bit discouraged and decides to come home and play where his Daddy played.

Put in the right situation, Coleman has the ability to play NFL football.

You know what I am saying here, though I am leaning back on my baseball background....you always have your superstars, but after that, there is a thin line between the guy that carves out a 10 year MLB career and the guy who gets stuck in AAA. The difference in ability is in many cases so close it doesn't make a hairs width worth of difference.

It's just chance.

I do know a coach at UTC, and have been told many NFL teams have been scouting Coleman for a good while. Rooney of the Steelers made a personal visit this last season.

He is a young coach who I coached in baseball. I have no reason to believe he was feeding me a line of bull.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

OLB None! -- I can't find an OLB that I like that isn't rated in the 3rd or higher now. bummer.

I have two I like that maybe available after the 3rd round and they are prospects that I have been high on all year to boot.

3rd to 4th round target;
Mychal Kendricks (MLB) would require DQ to move to WIL.

4th round targets;
Keenan Robinson, OLB
Travis Lewis, OLB

Lewis had a sub par 40: (4.7) time at the combine, but I think that can be contributed to weighing in some 18 lbs heavier then his playing weight last year.

But he has the perfect instincts and coverage skills for our 43 WIL position.

Robinson I think can play either OLBer positions.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

OT Andrew Datko, FSU [4th (2nd)] -- His internet stock tanked due to injury, but was an excellent player before the shoulder injury. Andre Branch is considered a first round talent by some and Datko completely shut him down when FSU played Clemson this year. He was truly dominant.

I did not see that game, but from what I saw of him ... I came away very unimpressed with his preseason hype.

He isn't very strong and gives ground to easily and doesn't offer much as a run blocker. I wouldn't draft him before the 6th round, if at all.

I'm also unimpressed with this years WR pool. I could care less about their 40: times.

[Linked Image]

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Ryan Broyles, WR Oklahoma

Even if we need to injury hide him for a year it'd be well worth it day 3.

I see him as Derek Mason 2.0 which would be awesome.

He is my favorite value play by far this year

+1

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

WR AJ Jenkins, Illinois [4th (2nd)] -- Great shake to get open. Good hands. From all accounts I've seen, a precise route runner.

Well, so far only one of my "All Third-Day Team" has been drafted lol.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Well, so far only one of my "All Third-Day Team" has been drafted lol.

Yeap a round and 1/2 too soon.

Tells you what the 9ers think of the remaining WR's

I am thinking instead of reaching for one in the 2nd round and RT's are off the board, then we might look to the other side of the ball, with JJ or David L. at least it wouldn't surprise me none, but in all likely hood we will panic again and trade some more picks to move up from 37.

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Tells you what the 9ers think of the remaining WR'

No it doesn't. It tells you one thing. The 49ers liked Jenkins more than most people. That's it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Tells you what the 9ers think of the remaining WR'

No it doesn't. It tells you one thing. The 49ers liked Jenkins more than most people. That's it.

and that tells you what the 9ers thought of the rest to take him above the others. It's one team I know, but they could be right on the money too.

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C
So you're saying they are either right or wrong? Thank you for the insight.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So you're saying they are either right or wrong? Thank you for the insight.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Underrated Prospects / All Third-Day Team

Link Copied to Clipboard