Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes there is alot in that post I wrote that is hard to defend.
About the only part of it that I was trying to make a point in was I see so many ways to start with Richardson and have a bad draft.

I guess if you look at it like, suppose they get a 4th round Rb, one of the 4th round Rb's , the Rb position is set. But they should get LaMichael James in the 2nd that's what I hope! Man He's gonna be good.

But I hold a higher opinion of Ogbonnaya's future upside than most probably.

x 9 : ? sure, but x 14? that's a stretch.

Man, I love your enthusiasm. I think you're , but I love your enthusiasm.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Anyone watch the Osweiler/Gruden QB Camp?

I thought he was more impressive than Luck, RGIII, or Weeden. More talented? No.

Legend
Legend
I think he's more talented than weedon, but I like osweiler more than most around here.

I thought their suggestion of DEN 2nd round was an excellent one.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 04/10/12 12:52 AM.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Man, it sure does seem as though the price for marginal QB prospects has sky-rocketed. My "longshot" guy is Cousins, and though I've got him pegged as a 3rd rounder, he stands all kinds of chances of going in the 2nd. There's really a toss-up on who is going off the board after Tannehill. In numerous places you'll see numerous predictions, from Weeden to Foles to Cousins to Osweiler.

We aren't going Tannehill. We're going one of those four later.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We did bring the kid in for a visit.

Shows some interest on our behalf.
I think it's prudent to check all of the options we can.

If we do take him, I don't see us doing so until the 3rd round.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/10/12 05:52 AM.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ah cmon, you're just preparing yourself to the thought of Weeden as a Brown

He's the only 1 of those after Tannehill that can push Colt day 1..and I think that's what they want: a camp battle, a flyer on an older guy without having to say that he's our franchise QB...draft Foles, Cousins or Osweiler in the top 50 and you'll hear the "franchise" BS thrown around....Weeden is a comfortable plan B who doesn't hinder any FO to go QB in the 1st round of the 2013 draft if he should bomb

Fun fact: Weeden beat all those 3 QBs that are going before him

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ah cmon, you're just preparing yourself to the thought of Weeden as a Brown

He's the only 1 of those after Tannehill that can push Colt day 1..and I think that's what they want: a camp battle, a flyer on an older guy without having to say that he's our franchise QB...draft Foles, Cousins or Osweiler in the top 50 and you'll hear the "franchise" BS thrown around....Weeden is a comfortable plan B who doesn't hinder any FO to go QB in the 1st round of the 2013 draft if he should bomb

Fun fact: Weeden beat all those 3 QBs that are going before him

he reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton.

I think that his maturity was obvious for the Bengals last season.

I'm not so sure that Weeden would not be the 3rd QB off the board if he was 4 or 5 years younger.

I put him in that 2nd tier of QB's with Ryan Tannehill.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

Great stuff: http://www.sidelinescouting.com/articles/draft-metrics/pdf/articles/when-can-you-start.pdf

One interesting thing to note as an addendum to this table is that, based on data from 1992-2005, 66% of the players who are rookie starters (minimum 8 games started as rook) go on to become five-year starters. Several positions stray from the average:

- Only 40% of running backs who start as rookies go on to become five-year starters
- QBs and Safeties are the next lowest with about 56%
- Defensive linemen have the best track record as about 76-77% of rookie starters end up as five-year starters
- Linebackers and offensive linemen are the next highest with about 72-74% going on to become five-year starters

Another reason NOT to draft Richardson at 4

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/articles...ng-position.pdf

QB:
More QBs are drafted in VG 1 than in VGs 2-4 combined. Promising QBs are
drafted early because of the high value of the QB position. Nearly two-thirds
of VG 1 draftees achieve five-year starter status versus 12% in all other VGs.
48% of VG 1 QBs make the Pro Bowl at least once vs. just over 7% in all other
VGs. QBs are last in percentage of rookie starters with only 11%.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Despite late-round successes like Tom Brady if a team
needs one and a good QB is available early a team has to take him.

RB

Running backs tend to get off to a fast start in their career and then fade. This
could be due to injury or just general wear and tear, or maybe both. Running
backs rank fourth in rookie starters and second in terms of the probability of
draftees making the Pro Bowl at least once, but are at or near the bottom in
all the longevity measures. VG 1 RBs are slightly below the average in
probability of drafting a five-year starter but in every other VG the probability
of drafting a five-year starter is less than half the average of all positions.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Between a rock and a hard place. If a team doesn’t draft
one early (and that is somewhat risky) it may as well sign a free agent.

WR
Wide receivers have terrible results after the 100th draft position with only 6
of 252 draftees becoming five-year starters. After the 100th pick, WRs rank last
in probability of drafting a five-year starter. They are higher than only QB in
probability of a rookie starter. WRs are in the middle of the pack in terms of
players earning post-season honors.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Take one in the first 100 picks or wait to sign free agents.

C
No Centers were taken in first 13 picks of the draft over the 14 year study
period. From pick 45 through the end of the draft, a Center is almost twice as
likely to become a five-year starter as all other positions combined.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Unless there is a rare talent available, wait until later in
the draft to take one.

G

Guards are a slightly higher priority than Centers early in the draft. Guards
have the third highest probability (17.9%) of being rookie starters. It is
somewhat odd that Guards have the second lowest probability of a five-year
career but the fourth highest probability of becoming a five-year starter.
Guards selected in positions 67-100 have the same probability of being fiveyear
starters as those drafted 45-66.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Unless there is an excellent player available, wait until
later in the draft to take one.

OT

Offensive tackle is the only high value offensive line position and is probably
the least risky position to draft. Offensive tackles are far more likely to start as
rookies than any other position (24.4% vs. 18.3% of CBs, which are next most
likely). It is interesting that Offensive Tackles have the most draftees make the
Pro Bowl at least once from positions 1-44 but the least from positions 45—
250. There is very little difference in the probability of drafting a five-year
starter from positions 29-44 as there is from positions 45-66. Draft positions
142-181 have been a “dead spot” for offensive tackles, with almost twice as
many five-year starters drafted after selection 181 as in that range.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Draft the good ones early but wait until later in the
second round if you don’t draft one by draft position 28.

DE
D-End is a high value position that is relatively safe to draft. Rookies tend not
to start, though, as DEs have the third lowest probability of starting (13.3%).
Relative to other positions, a slightly lower than average probability of
drafting a five-year starter with selections 14-66.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Look for one throughout the draft, especially very early.

DT

D-Tackles are very similar in pattern to DEs except there are two crazy and
unexplainable “dips” in the draft results. The probability of selections 45-66
becoming a five-year starter is only two-thirds of the average and 101-141
picks in only a little more than one-third of the average. Meanwhile, DTs
selected 142-181 are double the average. It’s hard to understand these
aberrations.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Draft early and late but be careful in the middle

LB

Linebacker selections with the 29-44 selections have actually been slightly
more successful than those with the 14-28 selections. LBs are in the middle of
the pack as far as rookie starters go with 15.9% starting as rookies. 14 of 17
selections in positions 1-13 became five-year starters, with the 82.4%
probability among the highest of all positions.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Trade out of the mid 1st round into the second if you’re
looking for a linebacker.

CB

There are more CBs drafted in picks 1-44 than any other position. They have
the second highest probability of a rookie starter at 18.3%. There is a
precipitous drop in the probability of drafting a five-year starter after the 66th
pick. Only four of 112 selections from picks 142 and later became five-year
starters.
DRAFT STRATEGY: If you need one, grab him in the first two rounds.

S
Only three Safeties were taken with picks 1-13. There is a significantly lower
than average probability of drafting a five-year starter at Safety with
selections 67-141.
DRAFT STRATEGY: Take early or late, avoid in 3rd and 4th rounds

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
By Rob Rang
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

With the 2012 NFL Draft days away, the time has come to look past the first 32 picks and explore the depth of this year's talent pool.

What is immediately apparent when taking a more wide-lens view of the 2012 draft class is the tiered levels of talent.

Considering their value in today's NFL, quarterbacks provide the early fireworks. Fans can expect a run on front seven defenders to steal the spotlight throughout much of the rest of the first 32 picks, pushing talented offensive linemen, receivers and defensive backs down the board slightly.

While teams are willing to gamble on incredible athleticism and upside in the first round, the second round traditionally offers more immediate help. Teams typically aren't focusing on players who could become stars as much as they are filling holes in their current rosters.

NFL Mock Draft - 4/9/2012

Round 1
1. Indianapolis Colts
Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford: Luck wasn't quite as athletic in drills or magnetic during the interview process as Robert Griffin III but if the Colts are committed to building their team around a conventional pro-style attack, it is virtually impossible to imagine a scenario in which the Stanford product isn't their choice.

2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis)
Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor: Possessing as lethal a combination of mobility and touch on the deep ball as any quarterback in history, RG3 brings instant excitement to a team desperately needing an offensive identity. The Heisman Trophy winner isn't just exciting, he's also an ideal fit in Mike and Kyle Shanahan's offense. This time, owner Daniel Snyder's willingness to make the splashy move could pay off brilliantly.

3. Minnesota Vikings
Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California: Considering the pass rushers in the NFC North division, high-caliber blindside tackles are required. The Vikings aren't likely to pass on an opportunity to draft a future Pro Bowler. That's exactly what Kalil represents. Scouts would like to see Kalil play with more consistent technique, but he's been able to dominate at the collegiate level based only on his size (6-6, 295) and athleticism.

4. Cleveland Browns
Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M: In trading down in the 2011 draft to acquire a first-round picks for the 2012 draft, Mike Holmgren and Co. set the stage for the franchise to find a quarterback of the future. The argument that Colt McCoy could be successful with greater help, there is no question that Tannehill possesses better traits. Bypassing arguably the safest player in the draft in running back Trent Richardson, as well as wide receiver Justin Blackmon won't be popular with Browns' fans initially, but until Cleveland finds a quarterback worthy of building around, fans won't be happy anyway.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama: New head coach Greg Schiano will attempt to emulate the same strategy that two other former college coaches, Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh, made when adjusting to the NFL - he'll stick to the physical brand of football that helped put Rutgers football onto the BCS map. Schiano could gamble that LeGarrette Blount returns to the level of success he had as a rookie or take the safer route with Richardson, widely regarded as the elite running back prospect since Adrian Peterson.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)
Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State: It certainly would make sense to plug in Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon in with the Rams, but NFL teams are becoming increasingly wary of "helping" young quarterbacks with equally inexperienced receivers. As such, don't be surprised if the Rams follow the strategy that Jeff Fisher had previously employed with the Tennessee Titans of building initially through the lines with the playmaking Cox -- who'd better help the Rams defend against the powerful running games throughout the NFC West division.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars
Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU: With a new owner and fans hungry for success, general manager Gene Smith can't afford a mistake with this pick. Finding a big play receiver for young quarterback Blaine Gabbert certainly makes sense but few teams value a receiver, who is expected to touch the ball 10 times a game at most over a true cover corner. Claiborne doesn't fill as big of a need but he's the better player and could surprise as the Jaguars' pick should both athletes still be available.

8. Miami Dolphins
Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State: For fans hoping the Dolphins will be able to replace their former No. 1 receiver Brandon Marshall with an equally dynamic pass-catcher via the draft, this would appear to be the ideal scenario. Unfortunately, with the three best quarterbacks already gone, Miami would once again have to look elsewhere for an improvement at the game's most important position.

9. Carolina Panthers
Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis: The Carolina Panthers allowed an average of 130.8 yards on the ground in 2011 and will almost surely be looking to add talent and size up front to improve in this area. They'll have their choice of several talented defensive tackles but could ultimately fall in love with Poe's incredible upside. At 6-4, 346 pounds, the Memphis junior should be able to help shut down those interior running lanes.

10. Buffalo Bills
Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa: Left tackle has been a hole for the Bills since they allowed Jason Peters to get out of town. Current starter Demetrius Bell has shown flashes but has also struggled with durability and has been allowed to explore his options in free agency. Considering the money invested into their defensive line in free agency, the Bills appear to be focusing on upgrading on the offensive line in the draft. Reiff would be considered a bit of a reach at this point in the draft by some but with left tackle becoming such a valued position in today's pass-heavy NFL, Buffalo might elect to take the talented and pro-ready Reiff here rather than test the depth of a weak 2012 class at the position.

11. Kansas City Chiefs
Michael Brockers, DT, LSU: The 6-6, 322-pound Brockers has been labeled as too tall for the nose guard spot and too slow to be an NFL defensive end. Recall Scott Pioli, then the general manager of the New England Patriots, took a chance on another 6-6, 300-pound SEC star in Richard Seymour in the top 10, a move that paid instant and long-lasting dividends. Some believe Brockers' unique combination of leverage and long, strong arms make him a natural candidate for nose guard where the Chiefs have a need for a starter. Others see him as a classic 3-4 end. With fellow Tigers Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson already up front, Pioli could turn to LSU once again.

12. Seattle Seahawks
Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina: Adding free agent LB Barrett Ruud and OG Deuce Lutui filled two of Seattle's primary areas of concern with starting-caliber veterans. Those additions should allow the team to draft the best available player. The most talented player available is certainly Coples, who dominated the Senior Bowl and could provide the team with the headlining pass rusher it has lacked for years. Coples is widely viewed as a boom or bust pick due to his inconsistency but Pete Carroll is a master motivator.

13. Arizona Cardinals
Melvin Ingram, OLB, South Carolina: The Cardinals might believe they have the young players already in place at outside linebacker to successfully rush the quarterback with Sam Acho and O'Brien Schofield showing flashes in limited duty last year. For a club that has struggled consistently putting pressure on the quarterback, however, the opportunity to add another versatile pass rusher might make a lot of sense. Ingram is viewed as some as the top pass rusher in the 2012 draft class.

14. Dallas Cowboys
Mark Barron, SS, Alabama: Considering the presence of pass rusher extraordinaire DeMarcus Ware, the Cowboys have been terribly inept in coverage over the past several years. The team made some strides a year ago in their first season under defensive coordinator Rob Ryan but this secondary lacks a headliner. Expensive free agent cornerback Brandon Carr will certainly help, but so too would the heady and physical Barron.

15. Philadelphia Eagles
Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College: No, I didn't forget that the Eagles traded for quality middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans. Perhaps the better question might be if you forgot how poorly Philadelphia's entire linebacking corps fared last season. In proving his athleticism at the Combine (and his jaw-dropping consistency throughout his entire career), Kuechly is earning top 15 grades from some clubs as an outside linebacker, as well as for the inside position. The addition of Ryans and Kuechly would turn what was the Eagles' worst unit into one of the team's greatest strengths.

16. NY Jets
Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois: By attending the workouts of virtually every highly rated pass rusher in the country, the Jets have essentially advertised the fact that they're looking to address this area via the draft. Mercilus led the nation in both sacks (16) and forced fumbles (nine) in a breakout 2011 campaign and may be just scratching the surface of his potential.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland)
David DeCastro, OG, Stanford: This would appear to be an ideal scenario for the Bengals as the team would have a choice between DeCastro and Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, two players they are known to covet. With the depth at corner lasting throughout the first two days of the draft, the Bengals would be wise to nab DeCastro, who'd provide another physical presence inside on an already big and aggressive Bengals' offensive line.

18. San Diego Chargers
Andre Branch, DE, Clemson: The Chargers took a big step in addressing their pass rush concerns with the free agent addition of former Baltimore outside linebacker Jarrett Johnson. Don't expect that to be the end of San Diego's focus on improving their pass rush, however, especially considering that Peyton Manning has now joined the division. Branch has the length, speed and flexibility that every team is looking for in an outside pass rusher and is moving up the board as the draft nears.

19. Chicago Bears
Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama: Despite the fact that the Bears boast one of the NFL's top defensive ends in Julius Peppers, don't expect the early run on pass-rushers to slow down. Upshaw lacks the height and speed of some of the other highly regarded edge rushers, but his power and well-honed technique should make him among the more immediate impact defenders of this draft.

20. Tennessee Titans
Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina: The loss of free agent Cortland Finnegan will hurt the Titans' secondary. Gilmore's length and athleticism make him a natural replacement candidate and one who would provide very good value at this point in the draft.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame: With depth concerns along the defensive line and in the secondary, the Bengals certainly will look to those positions on draft day, but don't be surprised if the team instead tries to find another playmaking wide receiver to pair with second-year star A.J. Green. Floyd combines excellent size with reliable route-running and soft hands and might be the draft's best downfield blocker.

22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta)
Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia: With their quarterback concern addressed with the No. 4 overall pick, the Browns would likely shift their attention towards protecting their investment with a right tackle to pair with All-Pro blindside protector Joe Thomas. The massive Glenn (6-5, 345) was a four-year starter at Georgia and may have proved he has the light feet and flexibility to remain outside at tackle with an impressive display of athleticism at the Combine.

23. Detroit Lions
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford: The Lions reached out to free agents offensive tackles Eric Winston (who signed with Kansas City) and Marcus McNeill (still unsigned) but may find a better option simply by waiting until draft day. Martin doesn't play with the physicality scouts would prefer and is viewed as a bit of a finesse technician. He'd be an immediate upgrade at right tackle for the Lions and has the athleticism to eventually take over for Jeff Backus' as Matt Stafford's blindside protector.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers
Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State: Nowhere was the Steelers' age and lack of quality depth more obvious last season than along the offensive line. Rookie Marcus Gilbert played well and the team still has the versatile Willie Colon capable of lining up at right tackle or inside at guard. With the depth at tackle in the 2012 draft dropping off sharply, Pittsburgh might be wise to heed the early run at the position with Adams.

25. Denver Broncos
Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State: The addition of Peyton Manning is sure to excite Broncos fans but if the team isn't better equipped to slow down power running games the dreams of a Super Bowl will vanish quickly. Denver lost one of their starting defensive tackles from last season (Brodrick Bunkley) to free agency already and don't appear to be concerned that they may lose the other (Marcus Thomas). Denver is almost certain to reload at the position via the draft. Worthy boasts an impressive burst to penetrate gaps, as well as the powerful build to hold the line.

26. Houston Texans
Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor: The Texans obviously boast one of the league's preeminent receivers in Andre Johnson but his inability to remain healthy and Houston's relative inconsistent depth behind him make wide receiver an area of concern. Wright is slipping down draft boards a bit but he's a natural playmaker who could feast off of one on one coverage.

27. New England Patriots (from New Orleans)
Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama: Despite investing several high-round picks into their secondary over the past few years, the Patriots continue to struggle to defend the pass. Kirkpatrick has greater size and physicality than any of New England's current cornerbacks and while some have concerns about his maturity, he'd likely present too much value for the Patriots to ignore at this point in the draft.

28. Green Bay Packers
Nick Perry, DE, Southern California: The biggest difference between the 2010 Packers that won the Super Bowl and the 2011 team that lost in the divisional round of the playoffs was the team's dropoff last season in pass rush. Green Bay finished tied for second in the NFL with 47 sacks in 2010 but dropped to a four-way tie for 27th in the league last year with just 29. To put that into perspective, the Packers produced just six more sacks than the last-placed Bucs and just one more than the 31st ranked Titans. Perry emerged as a star defensive end for the Trojans in 2011 but is viewed by some as a better fit at outside linebacker.

29. Baltimore Ravens
Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama: By all accounts the Ravens are focusing on interior offensive linemen with this pick. The team lost standout left guard Ben Grubbs to free agency and could use some depth behind aging center Matt Birk. General manager Ozzie Newsome won't let team need keep him from drafting a falling star, however, and in Hightower the club would be getting a physical intimidating inside linebacker to someday replace Ray Lewis as well as a pass rusher capable of helping the team adjust from the loss of another free agent, outside linebacker Jarrett Johnson.

30. San Francisco 49ers
Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin: The Ravens' loss of a stellar interior line prospect could prove to be the 49ers gain, as San Francisco, like Baltimore, could use help up front. Zeitler's size, strength and tenacity would make him a welcome fit in Jim Harbaugh's power-running offense. The former Badger would likely slide right into the starting lineup at right guard, as well as provide an adequate backup option at center.

31. New England Patriots
Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse: With the Patriots expected to maintain at least some elements of the 4-3 defense that served as their base scheme last year, adding talent and youth at defensive end is required. Former starter Mark Anderson left via free agency and his battery-mate, Andre Carter, is recovering from a torn quad. Jones' length, power and high-revving motor make him a natural replacement candidate.

32. NY Giants
Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford: Losing Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum to serious leg injuries in the Super Bowl was only partially rectified with the signing of former Dallas Cowboys' backup Martellus Bennett to a one-year free agent contract. Bennett has the natural talent to do well but should Fleener somehow still on the board, he'd certainly rank among the best prospects available and also fill a need for depth.

Round 2

1. St. Louis Rams
Rueben Randle, WR, LSU: One of the reasons why the Rams may elect to look elsewhere rather than wide receiver with the No. 6 overall pick is the depth at the position. Randle is earning first-round grades from most scouts. Some believe he has more long-term upside than Justin Blackmon.

2. Indianapolis Colts
Devon Still, DT, Penn State: The focus will be on Andrew Luck as the first pick of the draft, but the Colts are also expected to focus a great deal of attention on their front seven.

3. Minnesota Vikings
Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut: While defensive end Jared Allen challenged Michael Strahan's NFL record with 22 sacks last season, veteran defensive tackle Kevin Williams looked past his prime. Reyes has good size and strength and proved he wasn't just a standout against mediocre Big East competition with a strong performance at the Senior Bowl.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama: The addition of free agent Eric Wright helped but the team may soon have to find another starter with veteran Ronde Barber winding down and Aqib Talib more prevalent off the field than on it. Going up against Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton six games a year will force a team to stock up on pass defenders.

5. Cleveland Browns
Doug Martin, RB, Boise State: Quality depth at the running back position could allow the Browns to fill greater positions of value with their first two picks. Martin isn't as flashy as Trent Richardson, but like the Alabama star, Martin is a true-three down back.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars
Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall: Re-signing the team's leading pass-rusher from last year, Jeremy Mincey, was certainly a step in the right direction but the Jaguars won't stop there. Curry is a natural edge rusher and plays with the passion that GM Gene Smith looks for in a defensive lineman.

7. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)
Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina: The Rams' gamble that they could find a receiver capable of helping Sam Bradford at a pick later than No. 6 overall could pay off if the sticky-handed Jeffery remains on the board here.

8. Carolina Panthers
Bobby Massie, OT, Mississippi: The Panthers feature one of the NFL's better left tackles in Jordan Gross but the team may no longer be willing to gamble on Jeff Otah (knee) returning to form and the raw talent of Byron Bell or recently added Bruce Campbell. Massie is earning first-round grades from some teams and should be ready to step in after three years starting at right tackle in the SEC.

9. Buffalo Bills
Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska: Outside linebacker is an area of concern for the Bills. David lacks the size scouts prefer but he's a proven commodity who many regard as the draft's best pass defending linebacker. Considering that the AFC East runs through New England and their star tight ends, adding defenders capable of slowing them down is a priority.

10. Miami Dolphins
Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State: Having struck out on Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn and Ryan Tannehill, the Dolphins could fill their need for competition at the quarterback position via Weeden, a strong-armed pocket passer some believe has the maturity to lead an NFL team immediately.

11. Seattle Seahawks
Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State: Signing free agent inside linebacker Barrett Ruud gives Seattle some flexibility but don't expect the team to ignore the position on draft day. McClellin was mostly used as a defensive end while with the Broncos but also the balance and instincts to drop back into coverage, making him a potential ideal fit as a strong-side linebacker for the Seahawks.

12. Kansas City Chiefs
Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin: The addition of right tackle Eric Winston could be a coup for the Chiefs but it doesn't necessarily help them inside. Konz is a terrific talent but durability and strength concerns could push him down the board a bit.

13. Dallas Cowboys
Josh Robinson, CB, UCF: Dallas defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has shown a preference for press coverage schemes in the past but the current talent in the Cowboys' secondary lacks the skill set to handle this system. Robinson has the skill set to handle this scheme and after a stellar Combine workout has the buzz surrounding his name that owner Jerry Jones loves on draft day.

14. Philadelphia Eagles
Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson: Thompson is shorter than scouts would prefer but height hasn't proven to be a significant concern for the Eagles when drafting defensive tackles under Andy Reid. Thompson's burst and strength could make him an effective interior rusher in defensive coordinator Jim Washburn's wide-nine alignment.

15. NY Jets
Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame: Any team playing against the Patriots twice a year is going to have to adjust to their two-headed monster at tight end. Smith has the size and physicality to help the Jets down the middle in this role.

16. New England Patriots (from Oakland)
Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State: The Patriots are in good position to handle the retirement of left tackle Matt Light due to their selection of Nate Solder in the first round a year ago. Solder operated at right tackle as a rookie, where the vast majority of Sanders' starts came over his four seasons starting for the Seminoles.

17. San Diego Chargers
Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma: The Chargers starting tandem of Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason didn't play up to their usual standards a year ago. With Peyton Manning added to the division, smart and versatile defenders like Fleming would be a welcome addition to the secondary.

18. Chicago Bears
Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State: With the offense in the hands of former OL coach Mike Tice, expect the Bears to once again focus on adding blockers and utilizing more of a ball-control style. Silatolu has the talent to be drafted much higher than this but some teams worry that he's at least a year away from starting.

19. Philadelphia Eagles (from Arizona)
Bobby Wagner, OLB, Utah State: Given that the Eagles' linebacking corps were arguably their most underperforming unit last season, don't be surprised if Philadelphia addresses the position on draft day despite adding veteran DeMeco Ryans via trade. Wagner has seen time inside and out and is the hard-worker and reliable open-field tackler that could fight for immediate playing time.

20. Tennessee Titans
Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina: The Titans may have found two of their three linebackers of the future in the 2011 draft with second-round pick Akeem Ayers a prototypical strong-side linebacker and Colin McCarthy playing well immediately in place of injured veteran Barrett Ruud in the middle. Depth behind current weak-side starter Will Witherspoon remains a concern, and Brown certainly has the athleticism to warrant development.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech: The addition of free agent BenJarvus Green-Ellis fills the Bengals' need for a short-yardage back but with time Wilson could prove to be an every down playmaker.

22. Detroit Lions
Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia: Following the loss of Eric Wright in free agency, there are few teams with more obvious needs at cornerback than the Lions. Boykin lacks the size scouts prefer but has been a standout throughout his career in the SEC and has the tenacity that head coach Jim Schwartz prefers at the position.

23. Atlanta Falcons
Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson: With only one pick in the first two rounds due to their aggressive trade up a year ago to land wideout Julio Jones, the Falcons must fill a need with this selection. Tony Gonzalez is an unquestioned first ballot Hall of Famer but he's a shadow of his former self. Allen doesn't have elite speed but possess soft hands and can contribute as a run blocker, as well.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: The once proud Pittsburgh defensive line is aging quickly. Crick, who played defensive tackle while at Nebraska but projects best as a five-technique defensive end in the 3-4 alignment would give the Steelers size, strength and length.

25. Denver Broncos
Chris Polk, RB, Washington: John Fox got the quarterback of his dreams with the signing of Peyton Manning but make no mistake, he still prefers a power-running game. Polk brings the durability and physicality Fox likes and is also an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

26. Houston Texans
Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia: The Texans would appear to be in excellent position to handle the free agent defection of Mario Williams with young pass rushers Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed but that may not stop the team from adding another edge threat should Irvin -- arguably the draft's most explosive rusher -- fall into their lap.

27. Green Bay Packers
George Iloka, FS, Boise State: The Packers are a team with few obvious holes -- free safety could be one. If three-time Pro-Bowler Nick Collins be unable to return after a severe neck injury sidelined him last season, Iloka offers rare size for the position and is versatile having lined up all over the Boise defensive backfield throughout his career.

28. Baltimore Ravens
Kelechi Osemele, OG, Iowa State: Second-year offensive lineman Jah Reid will get the first crack at filling the hole at left guard after veteran Ben Grubbs signed a free agent deal with the New Orleans Saints but more bodies are needed at the position. Osemele starred outside at tackle while with the Cyclones but might be best served moving inside against NFL athletes.

29. San Francisco 49ers
Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana: Cornerback is not an area of immediate concern for the 49ers but Johnson might offer too much value for the team to overlook at this point in the draft. Based purely on talent, Johnson deserves first-round consideration. Off-field concerns, however, could push him significantly down the board.

30. New England Patriots
Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech: The addition of Brandon Lloyd could give Tom Brady the outside threat he's lacked at receiver but should Hill still be available, his size and explosive speed certainly would pique the interest of a team always looking for mismatches.

31. NY Giants
Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers: The Giants are set on the outside with Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz but could use a reliable slot receiver to take over for prior standouts Mario Manningham and Steve Smith. This is precisely where Sanu fits in best, and could share the role with Cruz after he excelled in that role in 2011. Sanu, a local standout, would certainly be a popular pick with the fan base. web page
=====================================

I was very surprised to see Hill and Sanu falling that far.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good stuff DJ, thanks for passing that on.

[Linked Image]

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Out of the five CBS Mock drafters, Rang is the only one to have Tannehill going 4th to us. Three guys have Blackmon and two have Richardson. Weird how the pendulum has been swinging back and forth between Richardson and Blackmon on a majority of Mocks now. Not many have Tannehill or Claiborne anymore and one thing is for certain, Heckert has everyone guessing.

CBS Mock drafts

I have been teetering between Blackmon, Richardson and trade down enough to still get one of them and pick up extra pick. DraftTek I think is a good guess.

DraftTek

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I think he's more talented than weedon, but I like osweiler more than most around here.

I thought their suggestion of DEN 2nd round was an excellent one.

Here's a good tape of the good and bad of Osweiler. Probably the best mix of a game that I saw (Mizzou was by far his best game and got me hooked on him early, Arizona was a game of his I saw late that took away alot of that luster):

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I hadn't noticed they even had the others up, thanks. I completely agree that heckert has everyone baffled. Everyone is having the same debate we are. Richardson, Blackmon, Tannehill and Claiborne.

Legend
Legend
Hmm, no WRs in round 1 or 2 for us. I hope we'd be looking at Greg Childs in the third, maybe a trade up from the 4th.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
If Fans could draft...

ESPN fan vote's mock draft

1 Colts Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2 Redskins Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3 Vikings Matt Kalil, OT, USC
4 Browns Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
5 Bucs Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
6 Rams Justin Blackmon, WR, Okla. St.
7 Jaguars Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
8 Dolphins Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9 Panthers Quinton Coples, DE, UNC
10 Bills Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
11 Chiefs Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama
12 Seahawks Melvin Ingram, DE, S. Carolina
13 Cardinals David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
14 Cowboys Mark Barron, S, Alabama
15 Eagles Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston Coll.
16 Jets Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama
17 Bengals Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
18 Chargers Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
19 Bears Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
20 Titans Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
21 Bengals Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
22 Browns Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
23 Lions Stephon Gilmore, CB, S. Caro.
24 Steelers Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
25 Broncos Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
26 Texans Nick Perry, DE, USC
27 Patriots Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
28 Packers Andre Branch, DE Clemson
29 Ravens Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
30 49ers Janoris Jenkins, CB, N. Alabama
31 Patriots Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St.
32 Giants Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hmm, no WRs in round 1 or 2 for us. I hope we'd be looking at Greg Childs in the third, maybe a trade up from the 4th.

[purple]Yeah, cuz where set at WR
[/purple]

I do like Greg Childs though, but who knows what the FO thinks about him.
Does he have the PA we look for?
Certainly not the BPA (positional ranking) we look for.
He probably isn't going to be great after the catch, but he does have a great set of hands (large) to go with good size and speed. If we don't get one in the 1st two rounds, then he would probably be the player I would target in the 3rd round. (Considering who might be left)

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/10/12 12:15 PM.

[Linked Image]

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
I'll take the fan draft and then trade up to get Cordy Glenn.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
It's weird that fans passed over him so many times and that the Steelers fans chose Adams over him too. I wouldn't trade up because he might fall if he makes it out of the first for real and if not you have Massie if a RT is the direction you want to go.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fan Mock, Huh!

Just goes to show that we need to let the guys that get paid to Draft ... Do their jobs.

[Linked Image]

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
What didn't you like?

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Draft Stuff v.2

Link Copied to Clipboard