Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

you can win 6-8 games with any QB, especially one that is risk-averse and manages games...if you have playmakers everywhere you win 6-8 games and pick 12-16

or you can go 14-4 (including the playoffs), get the #1 seed in your conference and almost get to the superbowl. like Alex Smith.

the rest of your post is just if you believe in Tannehill or not. I would have been greatly upset with Blaine Gabbert last season because I felt he was a reach. I think Tannehill is better than Gabbert, but also consider him a great reach for our draft slot, which is why I do not want him.

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

or you can go 14-4 (including the playoffs), get the #1 seed in your conference and almost get to the superbowl. like Alex Smith.

If you take away two muffed punts he is in the Super Bowl and possibly could have won. Like those punts or last season for the Browns there is only so much a QB can Control.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
And how much did he really control?

Face it, the Niners were fully prepared to let him walk away, not even knowing if they would be able to sign Manning. That's how concerned they were about losing him.

The Niners of last year were built on running the ball, kicking FGs, and playing defense. It almost worked for them. In the end, it didn't.

However, if anything it should probably make a case for Richardson if anyone.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

what do you think is the level of trust in the locker room after a draft like that

this may sound cold especially coming from me, but if these guys have ruffled feathers because the team went out and either tried to get or got better players,, then to heck with them.. that's the nature of the beast.

They each took someone elses job, someone will take there job and at some point in the future, those guys will loose thier jobs to someone else..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
And the Niners ran running back to Smith, hat in hand, after they realized they weren't getting Manning. It's damage control. Same thing we are doing with McCoy. Spitting in someones face is one thing, exploring other options are another. A team effort in the Niners sense allows a margin of error that we are not accustomed to. For them to pursue Manning and "let Smith walk," is no different than the same boat we are in in a team philosophy sense, but that is where the similarities end. As I stated when I opened this post, the Niners certainly changed thier tune when they realized it was time to wake up out of thier Manning induced fantasy, so they couldn't have been too excited to see Smith leave.

"If you need two yards, I'll get you two yards. If you need four yards, I'll get you two yards!" Ron Wolfley, Special Teams Madman
Legend
Legend
Yet Smith could have signed with Miami easily while he was there. That is the chance the Niners took, and they took it without blinking.

The bottom line is that he's simply not that good. (although he would be an improvement over our situation) I don't know what Smith got in San Francisco, but I bet that it was close to what the Niners originally offered, because he saw that he didn't have huge value elsewhere.

He signed for 3 years, $24 million with $16.5 guaranteed, and Matt Flynn, who hasn't started consistently since High School signed for 3 years with a base of $19 million with $10 million guaranteed.

Smith simply wasn't a high demand kinda guy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

.we're picking 4th this season and only have a shot at drafting the 3rd best QB...

I don't like playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in a 6 shot revolver. (see the article I just posted)

Sadly, I think that next year most of the QB spots will be settled and we can get the 2nd best QB in the mid first round range (I think the FO knows this too)

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

And the Niners ran running back to Smith, hat in hand, after they realized they weren't getting Manning.

Actually, it's the other way around.

Smith had zero other alternatives at the kind of money and commitment the Niners were offering. They could have EASILY reduced their offer and played hard-ball, where Smith wouldn't have had any choice but to take it. Instead, they stuck by their original offer....you know....the one he didn't wanna sign which is why he left for visits...and Smith, who had no other options, was forced to take it.

Just setting the record straight.

As for McCoy, I'm not at all convinced they are "set" with allowing him this year. They sang the same old tired song, then tried to offer up a treasure-trove of picks for someone else. So suddenly they are content to give McCoy another chance? I'll believe that once the draft is over, and even then, it'll be because they don't wanna strike the trifecta of throwing away decent draft picks and time on QB's who stand very little chance of making it. Frye, McCoy, and...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I think the point of my post was misconstrued. I was trying to emphasize the fact that a total team can indeed thrive and succeed in light of mediocre QB play, which flies in the face of some of the stances you take sometimes. The fact that our FO is playing kiss and make up with Colt right now speaks more to the notion that they feel tied to him for one more year, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the example of Smith you painted, because they are a much more complete team and were flirting with arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game. Regardless of whiffing on Manning, they know the variable they have in Smith and must believe he is serviceable and can work in thier system, or else they would have made a more concentrated effort to upgrade the position.

"If you need two yards, I'll get you two yards. If you need four yards, I'll get you two yards!" Ron Wolfley, Special Teams Madman
Legend
Legend
Sure, there can always be exceptions to any rule.

There aren't many these days though.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tom Heckert: Browns “fine with Colt McCoy,” may trade down

Link Copied to Clipboard