Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
That's close to what I heard... "Colt sucks and Cleveland is my only shot to go in the first."

Please... No QBs before the third round. If osweiler somehow fell to the 3rd, I'd be interested, but outside of that, maybe Russell Wilson with 4b or Davis/Coleman/Foles in the sixth.

And with all of those, only if we don't have a postitional guy we really like available at that spot.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I cant see anyone taking Weeden before the 3rd at the absolute earliest.

Do you think that Weeden suffers from Chris Weinke Syndrome?

I think that you might be right, Mourgrym. Weinke, after winning the Heisman and a National Championship (neither of which Weeden has done), was selected in the 4th round by Carolina and did nothing more than ever be a backup.

It's possible that someone takes him higher than that and I agree that it would be a complete stretch to do so.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I hope we get a different, college-aged guy in the 4th or later . . .

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Oh for the love of . . .

Browns may try for a third first-round pick to draft Brandon Weeden

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
The Cleveland Browns have two first-round picks tonight, their own (No. 4 overall) and the Falcons’ (No. 22). But by the end of the night they may end up drafting three players.

That’s a scenario envisioned by Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, who thinks that the Browns would like to draft Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden but view No. 22 as a little bit too high to take him. So the plan for the Browns could be to bolster other positions at No. 4 and No. 22 and then trying to trade back up into the end of the first-round to draft Weeden before the night ends.

The Browns’ second-round pick is No. 37 overall, and Cleveland would be ecstatic if Weeden lasted that long. But if they decide they don’t want to chance that, trading the 37th pick and another pick to move somewhere in the 25-32 range could be the move for the Browns to make. The Patriots, who have the 31st pick in the first round, might be open to moving back six spots and getting an extra pick for their trouble.

Cleveland has a major need for offensive playmakers tonight. It’s possible that with the right moves, they could end up with a trio like Alabama running back Trent Richardson at 4, Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill at 22 and Weeden with a trade near the end of the first round. That would radically transform the future of the Browns’ offense.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I would much rather stay with McCoy than go with Weeden. But if we draft Weeden, that tells you what our braintrust thinks of McCoy.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'll be mad if we draft a QB before the 4th round.

H
2nd String
2nd String
H
Quote:

That’s a scenario envisioned by Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, who thinks that the Browns would like to draft Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden

In other words, based on no sources whatsoever, that's what this guy imagines might happen if the Browns think the way he imagines they do.

Can't wait for the draft to end. The more these guys talk, the stupider they sound.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That’s a scenario envisioned by Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, who thinks that the Browns would like to draft Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden but view No. 22 as a little bit too high to take him. So the plan for the Browns could be to bolster other positions at No. 4 and No. 22 and then trying to trade back up into the end of the first-round to draft Weeden before the night ends.

If they think Weeden is the guy and he's still there.. go for it. If we come out of this with Richardson/Blackmon, a RT at 22 and Weeden without giving up too much, I can't say that I'll be upset...

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
I won't be mad, because as I said before, if we take QB in the 2nd round that says the current QB we have is not good enough. I just think the QB we have currently is as good as Brandon Weeden. But my opinion is not as important or as informed as Heckert/Holmgren/Shurmur.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we get into a skeet league, he could be good to have around.

#GMSTRONG
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Where is that puking graemlin when I need it.
Just say no to a 29 year old QB.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

If we get into a skeet league, he could be good to have around.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Where is that puking graemlin when I need it.
Just say no to a 29 year old QB.

Ask and you shall receive..

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Given the fact that our targets have all been mobile QBs (McCoy/Wallace/RG3/Tannehill) - I don't see why we would take one of the least mobile QBs out there in Weeden.

It doesn't seem to fit the type of QBs that anybody in this organization likes -- Osweiler is a better fit in that respect.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Let's see .... maybe because accurate with a strong arm trumps running around like a chicken with its head cut off?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Let's see .... maybe because accurate with a strong arm trumps running around like a chicken with its head cut off?

Accurate is not a word to describe Brandon Weeden.

Strong arm is good, decisive is good, accurate is not.

He's really like a shorter Derek Anderson, or a less accurate Landry Jones.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Weeden has excellent ball placement. That's the accuracy I am most concerned with.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Weeden has excellent ball placement.

that might be true of the chocolate salty variety, but not when throwing a football.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Weeden has good accuracy as long as he can play pass and catch but if he has to move around the pocket at all, that good accuracy becomes horrible throws.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Weeden has excellent ball placement. That's the accuracy I am most concerned with.

Totally disagree - he has Derek Anderson accuracy - perfect on one pass, and then a pass that isn't even interceptable because it's 7 yards off the mark.

~Lyuokdea
I
1st String
1st String
I
lets keep drafting QB's every 2 years so that we never have enough of a team to put around those quarterbacks . . .

Quarterback take you to the superbowl, the rest of the team doesn't matter, right Dan Marino?

Ruining QB's since 1999.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
College Accuracy is not the same as NFL Accuracy. Much smaller windows in the NFL and there isn't teams like West Lafayette Christian Academy to pad your stats.

Colt McCoy had a 70.3 Completion percentage at Texas
Brandon Weeden had a 69.5 Completion percentage at Oklahoma St.

And in the NFL everyone says Colt isn't accurate enough.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You can't judge accuracy by completion percentage in college.

I know that makes it incredibly hard to judge but you really have to look at every throw that guy makes and that's only possible for us fans if we're a big fan of one or two specific teams.

I was told that McCoy was an accurate thrower of the football and that 70+% number was thrown around. I've now seen more than a years worth of his NFL games and I know it's not the case.

He needs those big windows and doesn't have the live arm to make some throws. He's also small and slight for the position and has been injured often.

I'm done with him and have seen enough. We need new blood and Tannehill has shown me elite type stuff on tape.

Make it happen!

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
the thing is that in college Colt did have good accuracy. he hit WRs in stride in tight windows (the Fiesta Bowl game vs. Ohio State being a good example)

things are a tad different though at the NFL level, those windows are even tighter, those reads are tougher, those defenses are more exotic with better athletes. that's what makes it so tough to judge.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Do we really need to move back into the first to get this guy?!

Networks reporting we will get a third 1st rounder and take Weeden.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Do we really need to move back into the first to get this guy?!

Networks reporting we will get a third 1st rounder and take Weeden.

Meh! It's all speculative, but we probably have the picks to make that happen if we feel the need to.

I remember a couple of Drafts ago ... The media speculating we would take Colt McCoy with our 2nd round pick [TJ Ward] and we ended up with him a round later.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/26/12 06:30 PM.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

lets keep drafting QB's every 2 years so that we never have enough of a team to put around those quarterbacks . . .

Quarterback take you to the superbowl, the rest of the team doesn't matter, right Dan Marino?

We don't draft QB's every 2 years. With high picks anyways. Through rounds 1 and 2 since 1999, it's only been Couch and Quinn. Frye and Colt were 3rd rounders.

Everyone talks about filling needs before getting a QB.

Quarterback is a need.

I'm not high on Weeden, but I wouldn't mind takin a shot at him with 37, but getting back into the first for him doesn't seem like a Heckert move.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) PFW: Browns Targeting Weeden

Link Copied to Clipboard