Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
thanks Django. I thought I'd remember seeing Collins 120-130 there.

Ho boy... Milliner with a 4.31 but a hair under 6'.

Amerson with a 4.38 6'1", 77" wingspan.

*edit* Johnthan Banks 4.6ish twice.

Matt Elam 4.45 and 4.53.

I liked Hawthorne before he ran 4.40 and 4.41. Now I like him a little more

Last edited by clevesteve; 02/26/13 10:43 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'll wait for hte official times, but Banks is not concerning me, Haden ran even slower than that and is smaller....dude can cover and play.

Who has me intrigued is D.Gratz...have only watched some of him while assessing Wreh-Wilson and always thought "dude's got game too"....now he put up to sub 4.5s at around 200p and 22 reps in th bench....nice strength/speed to play some bump and run....gotta watch some more on him now

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
yeah I agree I thought Gratz looked terrific in one-on-ones at the senior bowl as well.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Guess Milliner is now officially the 1st CB off the board now, and probably going top 5 with Star probably falling out of it.

Cosell just praised Gratz and Hawthorne...he likes Gratz over W-W, interesting

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Your sleeper R.Miles is off my board....this dope has a Steelers logo tatooed on his arm

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
yeah i heard that... bummer. He looked good so far too. He's a big hitter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Milliner looks tight and cant catch a ball currently at the combine.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Milliner looks tight and cant catch a ball currently at the combine.

you're right about Mathieu looking terrific out there, but can we really have another CB on the roster that's under 5'9"?

Legend
Legend
did anybody see amerson in the deep coverage drill? i missed him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I still match him up with Haden if he's there at 6 and my OLB options arent there!

Legend
Legend
I like Micah Hyde as a later round corner. He's pretty good in recovery. I think he's showed well here, too, for being one of the bigger guys.

NFL.com updated Gratz' 40 to 4.35. I think he could end up going second day.

Last edited by clevesteve; 02/26/13 12:10 PM.
Legend
Legend
Hey, 4.47 is a great time for BWW.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This CB class is crazy deep, I'm not sure there's anyone I really do NOT like at all, so strange...sure, I have preferences and there are some bigger risks than others, but it's so good that I would be ok taking an outside, no2 type CB in the 1st or 3rd and another one for the nickel on day 3 without spending any huge money on a FA at this position and spending the money on other positions...smart thing to do is probably to sign a FA and a mid round CB though, but the depth of this class combined with the price tag in FA for a CB is teasing this idea. From the 3rd on there will be great value at CB

How about this post combine mock:

6) DE/OLB Ansah
68) CB Alford/CB Slay/CB Wreh-Wilson (maybe even one of Poyer/Taylor or Ryan falls)
101) FS Swearinger or TE Sims or WR S.Bailey
~135) RB Barner or RB Gillislee or WR D.Robinson or TE Gragg
175)+177) S S.Thomas or CB J.Adams or OLB Sharpe or RB Z.Stacy or CB Robey or CB S.Williams or CB/FS Commings or TE Rivera

We really need one or two more picks and with the CB depth, trading back from 68 half a round like we did last draft before the Hughes pick is our best bet imho to collect another 4th...there are multiple team with extra 4th/5th rounders that could be willing to trade up to the top of the 3rd if they still have a top 50 prospect of their board around. How about the Vikings: 68 for 83, 117 (4th) and 197 (high 7th, probably will be pick 210 when comp picks are announced). We'd still most probably get a good CB (include McFadden, Webb, Amerson to the list...one of those 6 will be there)...or how about squeezing the 49ers to flip 68 for 74 for 2 of their 5 (!) 6th and 7th rounders...2 extra picks late for trading down just 6 spots in the 3rd there would be very sweet. That's what I'm gonna try in my upcoming mock

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Does the fact that this draft is deep at CB significantly hurt a guy like Milliner .... especially given that he needs shoulder surgery?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No It doesnt hurt him at all. When you are the best in a deep class, it just makes you stand out more. The tier 2 guys that is a different story. Teams are willing to wait a bit longer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love the #6
#68 I like slay but I'm afraid they look QB there. EJM if there?

You are correct though, there's a boatload of good looking kids at DB!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't see it, Milliner's official forty is a 4.37...with his tape and size, he's a top 10 lock at a high value and high demand position.
Remember, not all CB needy teams have a Joe Haden on their roster ..for us it makes more sense, but if a team has no clear no1 or sure outside CBs, then he's a no brainer. A no2 CB has almost less value than a good nickel CB nowadays, it's only more important because of depth and the fact he's covering no1 WRs if your no1 misses games, so it's somewhat a luxury for the Browns to take a no2 CB over a pass rusher...

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Manuel will be gone but I expect Jones to be there and he will be our pick at 68.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Quote:

I don't see it, Milliner's official forty is a 4.37...with his tape and size, he's a top 10 lock at a high value and high demand position.
Remember, not all CB needy teams have a Joe Haden on their roster ..for us it makes more sense, but if a team has no clear no1 or sure outside CBs, then he's a no brainer. A no2 CB has almost less value than a good nickel CB nowadays, it's only more important because of depth and the fact he's covering no1 WRs if your no1 misses games, so it's somewhat a luxury for the Browns to take a no2 CB over a pass rusher...

I understand what you are saying, and it makes some sense, but try to understand what I am saying... the #1 receiver on any given play is the guy who the ball is thrown towards. Corners are island players just as any offensive skill position player. If you can neutralize the top two receivers on a team, you've gone a long way towards winning the game.

JMO. I may not be a draft guru like you, but now you are getting in to areas I think I know, and I know football from having watched it for 55 years, and I am not counting when I was a 8-9 year old knucklehead.

The NFL is a passing league now. IMO the odds of a really good corner shutting down his cover are far greater than a really good rusher making a sack or pressuring to the point he impacts the throw and play.

What is a good pressure day for a rusher? Three- four sacks is a major impact day. A career day in most cases.

Top corners wouldn't be top corners if they only beat their guy four times a game.

Just saying. IMO corners are the most important part of a defense.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I don't know why people are shocked by Margus Hunt. Everyone on here knew what kind of freak he is. He was a damn Olympic athlete.

Legend
Legend
hey guys, day 4 posted if you're interested or didn't get to watch the combine.

http://cornerblitz.com/2013/Combine/SCB.aspx

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
site hasn't worked for me the past two days

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

hey guys, day 4 posted if you're interested or didn't get to watch the combine.

http://cornerblitz.com/2013/Combine/SCB.aspx

Good summary again, thanks.

I'll have to watch Gratz, but watched Slay first, vs Bama, LSU, TexAM and Auburn. I was impressed. He's a vey well rounded player, not elite in anything but good at most of what's needed to be a good no2 CB He's a very physical CB and takes playing against the run seriously, he's also a pretty good gunner on ST coverage. Only negative I saw was that he occasionally has trouble getting off blocks but he fights and is an impressively secure tackler for a CB. Terrific situational football awareness, he does the little things and he does them right most of the time. He has the same measurables as Milliner and displayed the same athleticism at the combine....he has become a very strong consideration for me at 68 after watching him play

Also watched some of Alford: Very aggressive little dude who can cover, but often is overaggressive playing the run and taking bad angles but he's def not contact shy. Can be a little grabby downfield and plays on the edge of legality sometimes. Also is a pretty good KR/PR so that ups his value...overall I'd rank him pretty close to Slay but slightly lower. Slay just has more size with the same athleticism and looks like a more complete player, level of play also a small factor, although Alford had a good SR Bowl showing. Good 3rd round value for sure

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Guess the word is out...my Bob Sanders-clone Shamarko Thomas got bumped up to 77th overall on nfldraftscout...some heavy movements on their board probably after hearing some combine rumblings, D.Moore slid all the way to 25th, D.Jordan in the top10, Ansah closing in, X.Rhodes deservedly climbing, Floyd in the top 5, Star out of the top 10, Eifert the clear cut no1 TE now, Kelce dropping (injury? character?)

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
wow, Amerson jumped about 30 spots on their rankings to 49.

I don't know what they see in Josh Johnson that has him about a full round ahead of Micah Hyde. He was maybe the worst of the corners at the combine in drills.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Johnson has some nice tape, watch this, looks like a highlight reel:
http://www.youtube.com/v/-7GwPaqJTW8

...I watched Hyde and didn't see much there. He doesn't play physical enough for my liking, not a good tackler (doesnt like it, throwing shoulders, not wrapping up) looks like your typcial Iowa CB/FS tweener...but for a FS his tackling is bad...so, we're down to a no2/3 zone-only defender and he's grabby downfield...those undersized ones are dime a dozen and I've already seen many smaller CBs with much more hustle and physicality, maybe in a cover 2 scheme

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
cool, thanks for the link, DJ

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Combine Invitees.

Link Copied to Clipboard