Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#762842 03/12/13 08:30 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Second time is the charm...

I have an admitted man crush on Ansah but he, like all of the round 1 OLB options, have question marks. At 6 could the Browns go in a different direction to improve the overall quality of the defense. Particularly if OLB is solved in free agency?

I offer Sheldon Richardson DE/DT for your consideration. He grades out for the pick at 6 for those of you who care about such things. He is a high motor, exceptionally mobile, 6'2" 298 DL who ran about a 4.8 at his pro-day. He has been moved around the Missouri front quite a bit this past year. Even stood up and rushed the passer on occassion. Excelled against the highest caliber conference competition in the SEC. Had one of his best games against Alabama. He possess multiple pass rush moves but he relies heavily on his swim technique. He hustles to the ball and plays to the whistle consistently. He will need to improve his overall strenght and become more stout against the run.

I can sum it up with one statement. He can pressure the QB on his own.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Gaurd good work, sounds like a nice prospect. To be honest I havent heard of him but I havent done a lot of pre draft home work yet. However, with the addition of Bryant I dont see us going DL in this draft.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
With the acquisition of Bryant I tend to agree. The Browns get a veteran who should be able to do many of the things this prospect is projected to do. I do love Richardosn's athleticism but I was also looking at him because there are so many questions about the OLBs available a 6.

B
Legend
Legend
B
He would be a good pick, but as was stated, we probably won't now that we signed a FA lineman. I also think Richardson might go to Philly, so he might not even be there at 6.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Only if Ansah is gone
Traditionally 3-4 DE just do not get taken early but we got certain variables involved here.

1. Rookie Cap doesn't put high $$$ risk involved to be certain positions...similar to if Warmack ran a 4.9 n was a once in 10 year OG he could get into the top 5. Position snobbery I think get eliminated.

2. Attack D...all the other (except Steelers) 3-4 D are Read n React 2 gap DEs very discipline over explosive talent. You can get one of those traditionally in Mid to late rounds. But possibly we are looking to change that DE position n slash/explosion is more important than discipline n eating up blockers!

3. JJ Watt...has emerged and showed especially the Attack 3-4 D what a special talent at the DE position can make...not inherited like some other D's but was drafted for it. Now is Richardson remotely a JJ Watt to be taken in the top 10??? I don't know the kid well enough to make that claim or dismiss him. Just saying he's got to be "SPECIAL" just like Warmack would have to be "SPECIAL" to break the ranks of OG taken in the top 5...JJ Watt...in this draft - I say jump on that. Is this kid equal to a JJ Watt? If so then put him on the wish list. If not...got to pass

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
At 6'2" he's not going to match up well with OTs IMO... I see him as a UT in a 4-3 only. I think he's actually one of the more overrated players in the draft. He's got good quickness but his production really isn't great when you look at the other options out there (Short, Vellano, Chris Jones, Floyd). I think he's got some talent but doesn't fit in great with our D.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
As I've said, given what we know now, Bryant being signed, the need for a player with these skills is no where near as urgent as it appeared a short time ago. Also I was considering the very real possibility that Ansah would not be available. As much as I want to add Ansah I have no idea what direction this FO would want to go even if he was available to the Browns.

Still, I like the kid a great deal. Consistently only Floyd and Lotulelei are ranked higher than him. Also his measurables are comparable to Floyd in terms of height and weight and he was just as productive as Floyd this past season, in the SEC, which is no small feat. Some talking heads have even suggested Floyd could go no. 1 over all. It seems at least plausible the Richardson could go top 10

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Sheldon Richardson

Link Copied to Clipboard