Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I'm not normally an Ohio State homer, in fact I've argued against us drafting a lot of their players cause a lot of them don't make great pro football players, but I am on the John Simon bandwagon. If we can get him in the 3rd round or even the 4th round I would absolutely love to take him. The guy is really strong and athletic, quick off the ball for his build and has a motor that doesn't quit. He is like 6'1 around 255 I believe and his build fits the 3-4 style pass rusher. How does everyone feel about him?

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
The more I have really watched of him, the more I think John is a man without a position in the NFL.

Sucks too, because he has some skills that are NFL worthy, but his body type just doesn't match those skills.

I can't see him as a 3-4 OLB because he is too slow and not real good in space.

I can't see him as a 4-3 DE because he just doesn't have that edge speed and he is also fairly stiff.

His best shot in the NFL is probably as a 3-4 DE, for which he is undersized.

I hope he can succeed in the NFL as I am a fan of his, but he has an uphill battle for sure.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm not normally an Ohio State homer, in fact I've argued against us drafting a lot of their players cause a lot of them don't make great pro football players, but I am on the John Simon bandwagon. If we can get him in the 3rd round or even the 4th round I would absolutely love to take him. The guy is really strong and athletic, quick off the ball for his build and has a motor that doesn't quit. He is like 6'1 around 255 I believe and his build fits the 3-4 style pass rusher. How does everyone feel about him?

Below is what CBSSports.com says about him. They have him ranked as the 86th best/overall player in the draft. Gotta love his work ethic. YC Mooney does spit out some terrific players.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013

Latest News

02/20/2013 - Top 10 most intriguing players at the combine: 10. John Simon, Ohio State, DL-OLB: Urban Meyer and seemingly every other coach who has been around this guy raves about his motor and toughness. Simon, the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year, is a guy who figures to have a shot at benching 225 in the 40s.
He's also pretty explosive off the bench, having broad-jumped 10 feet and, according to OSU strength staff, has clocked in the 4.6s in the 40 despite weighing 270 pounds. A shoulder injury, which kept him out of the Senior Bowl, is something that is worth monitoring. A bigger question will be whether he's seen as stiff when it comes to positional drills as team project where he'll play at the next level. - Bruce Feldman, CBSSports.com

•More John Simon News

Overview

Arguably the most relentless and motivated player in college football, Simon has been a force for the Ohio State defensive line since stepping foot on campus four years ago and lives in the weight and film rooms.

A well-known workout warrior, he is a regular on Bruce Feldman's "Freak List" and his football dedication and work ethic prompted coach Urban Meyer to use the word "Tebowish" to describe Simon.

A five-star recruit out of Cardinal Mooney in Youngstown, Simon was mostly a reserve as a true freshman before becoming a sophomore starter in 2010.

He had a team-best 16 tackles for loss and seven sacks in 2011, adding 53 tackles and earning first-team All-Big Ten honors. The sparkplug of the Ohio State defense, Simon played a lot of five-technique in the Buckeyes' hybrid 3-4 scheme as a junior, showing his versatility inside at defensive tackle and in space at linebacker.

Simon earned All-Big Ten first-team honors in 2012 and was one of eight semifinalists for the Lott IMPACT Trophy. He led the Big Ten with 9.0 sacks and was third with 14.5 tackles for loss.

Analysis

Strengths: Simon has a motor that never quits, playing extremely relentless as one of the best attacking defenders in college football the past few years. He has a strong upper body to swat and use his limbs to beat blocks with the natural power and forceful playing style to keep blockers off balance and shed.

Simon does a nice job setting the edge against the run and takes on blocks destructively, staying disciplined with excellent recognition skills. He takes aggressive angles in the run game and doesn't play hesitant, trusting his eyes and reacting in a flash. Simon tackles through the ballcarrier and has strong wrists and hands to secure stops, rarely missing tackles. He has good short-area quickness with good snap anticipation and dip off the edge to bend around the tackle and gain a step on blockers.

Simon plays every snap as if it's his last and doesn't know how to go half speed, playing motivated and focused. He is a smart, heady player to make impact plays against the run and pass, getting his hands up at the line of scrimmage. Simon is a two-year captain and there isn't a lot he hasn't seen, leading Ohio State as the heart of the team. He closes quickly and plays with excellent pursuit on defense and special teams coverage. Simon has versatile experience at both LE and RE, standing up and with his hand in the dirt, also moving inside to DT at times.

WEAKNESSES: Simon is almost too bulked up, which limits his fluidity, and he lacks ideal arm length, making it tough for him to disengage at times. He is more of a one-speed rusher and doesn't flash consistent explosion, lacking creativity as an edge rusher. Struggled to cover running backs or tight ends in one-on-one coverage at the Senior Bowl, lacking the natural hip movement or footwork to quickly adjust and blanket his man.

Simon plays too energetic at times and will wear himself out due to his relentless attitude. He takes overaggressive angles at times and needs to control his intensity (roughing the passer penalty vs. California, 2012).

Simon suffered a minor right knee injury (bursa sac) against Wisconsin in 2012, missing the Michigan game (his final collegiate game).

COMPARES TO: Allen Bailey, DE, Kansas City Chiefs - It's tough to find an exact comparison for Simon, but Bailey comes close with their muscular frames, quick feet and relentless attitude. Simon isn't as big as Bailey (285 pounds), but he's just as strong.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think Simon could be productive in the Browns defense. What he lacks in athleticsim would be made up by his relentless approach. He puts me in mind of Ninkovich of the Pats. He is a under appreciated high effort player that will only get recognition after he routinely makes plays. I didn't see many ARZ games last year so I won't pretend to know what to expect from Horton's scheme but I think Simon might be better utilized as a ILB. I like him as a run defender and until I see it for myself, that remians an unresolved problem for the Browns defensive unit.

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I do like Ninkovich (Spelling) a lot for the Patriots, even if Simon were to be selected and only play on passing downs to rush the passer, I think he could be very productive especially with Sheard and or Kruger also rushing at the same time. He just seems like the type of high effort player the Browns could use.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
E
Legend
Legend
E
He could be a perfect Prospect Mid-Late rounds for ILB in our 3-4 D ala Ted Bruschi
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's what I was thinking as well.

[Linked Image]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

He could be a perfect Prospect Mid-Late rounds for ILB in our 3-4 D ala Ted Bruschi
JMHO

EO I opposed you and others on the other board about the kid. I didn't think he could make it as a pass rusher. However you have changed my mind if your talking ILB. After contemplating it I would love this kid to be Gocongs replacement. He essentially is all around a better player except maybe rushing and that's slight if at all. I'm on board. Him in the 3rd or 4th as insurance for Gocong would be great. Can you imagine him and JMJ down the line in 2 years. Sounds like a great duo to me!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Love his leadership and the way he plays, I just don't know if he will be a starter-level player in the league. I am pulling for him though. He is one of my favorite Buckeyes of recent memory.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Pred...I never spoke about the kid before. Yesterday I thought about him as a prospect for us as I did a FA n little mock draft thing on the pure football forum n had him for a late pick. Just thinking he doesn't have the speed for the corner as an OLB but we are going attack football n he could be a good blitzer on the inside...btw I think Gocong can be pretty darn good in this Attack D.

Simon would be a developmental player...who knows where n for who? I just like his size n think he can blitz between the OT's. Many here have a high regard for Robertson...who did impress last season. I just don't think he has the size for this D.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) John Simon in our 3-4 defense, your thoughts?

Link Copied to Clipboard