Print Thread
#768774 03/26/13 11:24 AM
G
gsa Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
G
The latest Drafttek mock draft has us taking Xavier Rhodes at #6 overall. Assuming the worst (we don't get Grimes, Dee Milliner is gone by the time we pick, and no one is willing to trade up to our spot) what do you all think of this pick? He would fill our most glaring need. And he did have a good combine. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it. We could do worse I suppose.

gsa #768775 03/26/13 11:28 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/xavier-rhodes?id=2540155

Quote:

Bottom Line
Rhodes thrives in physical press coverage, something very few college players can put on their resume. At time his tackling technique is questionable, but Rhodes will make his living locking up boundary receivers with a balanced and strong jam followed up by enough speed to stick in their hip pocket. Just don't ask him to play in zone, because Rhodes shows tight movements when forced to pass receivers to a separate area. His game is somewhat scheme dependent, but expect Rhodes to be selected in the first 50 picks.

Joe Thomas #73
gsa #768776 03/26/13 11:29 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The latest Drafttek mock draft has us taking Xavier Rhodes at #6 overall. Assuming the worst (we don't get Grimes, Dee Milliner is gone by the time we pick, and no one is willing to trade up to our spot) what do you all think of this pick? He would fill our most glaring need. And he did have a good combine. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it. We could do worse I suppose.

I like Rhodes and think he is a 1st rounder but not a #6 pick ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
G
gsa Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
G
Yeah, I think he's a reach also. Who would you take in that scenario and where would you get your corner?

gsa #768778 03/26/13 11:31 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Weird. Over the weekend it was Warmack.

Both great picks w a trade down...

Now for the draft junkies saying Draft Tek sucks in 5...4...3...2...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Weird. Over the weekend it was Warmack.

Both great picks w a trade down...

Now for the draft junkies saying Draft Tek sucks in 5...4...3...2...

Maaaaan... Draft Teck sucks!

Tackles are tackles.
gsa #768780 03/26/13 11:34 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yeah, I think he's a reach also. Who would you take in that scenario and where would you get your corner?

Jarvis Jones ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have Rhodes ahead of Millner and believe he is a extremely viable option at 6. He is a lot like Richard Sherman with his physicality and ability to press even much larger receivers. He is my #3 player overall behind Joeckel and Star.

Mourgrym #768782 03/26/13 12:38 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I personally don't want us taking a cornerback in the 1st round and especially not at #6 considering we still have a few holes that need filled on the roster (Safety, Guard, Tight End, Slot Receiver). I'm really hoping we can sign Brent Grimes and then either select one of the elite pass rushers at #6 (Either Ansah or Jordan) or just trade down into the lower half of the 1st round to get some extra picks.

Xavider Rhodes might turn into a good cornerback, but I just dislike the idea of spending a first round pick on one again so soon.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Is Draft Tek considered a crappy site? Because I like it, though I admit to not ever checking how their mocks work out. Too bad if its junk, because I like the format, and the way they break down team needs and differentiate between the various types inside a given position (eg; DE43, DE34, SILB, WILB, etc).

Dave #768784 03/26/13 12:46 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I really like the site. They have a good a chance as anyone else of being right. Really like the site format.

But yeah, there will be people that rip on it...

Mourgrym #768785 03/26/13 12:51 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I have Rhodes ahead of Millner and believe he is a extremely viable option at 6. He is a lot like Richard Sherman with his physicality and ability to press even much larger receivers. He is my #3 player overall behind Joeckel and Star.

It's interesting that you say this.....

About one month ago, Tony Grossi reported that the Browns are seriously looking at a player for #6 that no draft analyst has been talking about in that pick range.

One guess from a poster I respect suggested Datone Jones, who'd play 3-4 DE. But with the signing of Bryant, this seems like no longer an option. This guess was before FA started.

Maybe the thought process from the Browns is they're confident one of the two CBs (Milliner and Rhodes) will be there at 6 and rate them almost the same on their board. Maybe it's a reason why they haven't jumped on a CB yet....a starting CB, I mean.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/26/13 01:21 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Interesting, Memphis...

Anything but a QB...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like Rhode's skillset a lot too, but he's still extremely raw and forcing him to start from day 1 could look very ugly at first and shoot down his confidence. He is very grabby throughout coverage and considering his athleticism it's somewhat a head scratcher. With his measurables he should be a Top 5 pick, but he isn't in a very weak and shaky draft class. As with almost any player in this draft, he has some bust potential, but he seems like a good egg and if he takes some NFL coaching he should thrive

We could do a lot worse at 6. He was my 2nd option in my mockdraft. Would prefer to balance out of the risk with an extra pick in a trade down scenario. If we get a 2nd+ and Rhodes, that'd be good value...straight up at 6? Solid for this class, but a little risky for me

Speaking of trade downs...if we go into the draft without signing a viable starter at CB, I'd be willing to trade down multiple times in the 1st collecting 2nd + mid round picks. We only have 6 picks, so 2-4 more can easily be fit into our projected roster (especially considering that we have 3 very probable cuts still on it with Gocong, Colt and Usama) and I like the 1st round depth at CB and consider Banks, Taylor and Trufant all to have very good late 1st round value. I'd really like to do a deal with the Dolphins getting a 2nd back and then with the 49ers to 31and getting another 2-3 picks this draft and a 1st or 2nd next draft

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Very interesting.

Would all the Grimes interviews be smoke then? Or would they really be willing to jump on both?

In a way, I'm hoping we can trade down to get the 2nd rounder back, but if we can build a secondary to fear, look out.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

Hopefully we get Grimes who is still a possibility...obviously he doesn't view us as a winner but our young guys would convince him after he gets here.

Regardless who we will of have signed in FA market...all that does is eliminate or lessen the "URGENT NEED" syndrome in possibly picking somebody in the draft via the "reach" effect for that need.

So like OLB it comes down to - Who We will target at #6 we get Grimes and we were targeting Millner or Rhodes for that matter....It should not change a thing if that is who we had as our BPA on OUR BOARD...not Mel Kipers or Mayock's board.

Same with OLB.

Also keep in mind this draft up front with exception for those in need of a Left Tackle this is a pretty weak draft in the TOP 10.

But in 2010 Heckerts first year as soon as we made the pick of Haden (most mocks had us taking Haden) the so called experts immediately started saying #7 Way too early for CB. Love the way that happens

Now at #6 we are to take another CB??? but the draft is weak. Millner only cause of the talent in the top 5 might be gone. Rhodes...again even if its just with the additions of Owens n Barnes this would eliminate urgent need.
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Very interesting.

Would all the Grimes interviews be smoke then? Or would they really be willing to jump on both?

In a way, I'm hoping we can trade down to get the 2nd rounder back, but if we can build a secondary to fear, look out.

I don't think the Grimes interview is smoke. They picked him up in a private jet. They like him. I don't necessarily think the possibility of signing Grimes has any direct impact who they are serious about in the draft.

Grimes would be a stop gap in many respects. A couple year deal is my guess. Plus you can never have enough good DBs and we experienced that last year.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/26/13 03:42 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
BADdog #768791 03/26/13 04:16 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If he sucks at zone coverage, and Horton runs a version of the zone blitz, how would he be a good fit, again?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
G
gsa Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
G
I'm no scout, so I don't know if he sucks at zone or not. But I think I read somewhere that although Horton uses the zone-blitz he also makes use of a lot of press coverage. So I don't know. I do know that Horton said that he doesn't coach a scheme but that he rather coaches men. So he will tailor the playcalling to his players' abilities. Although I hear that Chris Owens is solid in a zone scheme but is not so solid in press coverage. So who knows?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I like Rhodes and think he is a 1st rounder but not a #6 pick ... JMHO

Reading what you said, I am reminded of the Lombardi video talking about how Bill Walsh viewed such things ......

Basically the video said that Walsh felt that if a guy could play and help the team, it didn;t matter where he was taken. Things like "High first rounder" or "Middle second round pick" had little meaning to him. If the player was the right player for the team, then you take him. If he is the right player for your team, no one will even think twice about where he "should have been" drafted.

I thought that we did the worst Supplemental Over-Draft of all time last year when we drafted a guy who had sat out a year, and who had been thrown off his college team for repeated dug violations. I was worried that the 2nd round was too high for him. However, as he developed, as Walsh said, I thought less and less about where he was drafted, and was just glad that we had taken him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Reading what you said, I am reminded of the Lombardi video talking about how Bill Walsh viewed such things ......

Basically the video said that Walsh felt that if a guy could play and help the team, it didn;t matter where he was taken. Things like "High first rounder" or "Middle second round pick" had little meaning to him. If the player was the right player for the team, then you take him. If he is the right player for your team, no one will even think twice about where he "should have been" drafted.

I thought that we did the worst Supplemental Over-Draft of all time last year when we drafted a guy who had sat out a year, and who had been thrown off his college team for repeated dug violations. I was worried that the 2nd round was too high for him. However, as he developed, as Walsh said, I thought less and less about where he was drafted, and was just glad that we had taken him.

Agreed. Today people call those players "reaches". I personally think the term is a joke. They either end up being good or bad. Period.

Apparently, we have a ton of "reaches" on this team.

Tackles are tackles.
gsa #768795 03/26/13 06:49 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Really like Rhodes here. Imo if we trade down I think we'll target him. At 6'2" and 217 he's considered a physical CB at the los. He ran a 4.43 40.

Below is what CBSSports.com (formerly NFLDraftScout) says about him. They have him as the #2 CB avail and #13 overall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665147/xavier-rhodes

Latest News

01/02/2013 - Florida State junior cornerback Xavier Rhodes will forgo his senior season and enter the 2013 NFL Draft. He announced the news after the Seminoles 31-10 victory over Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl. "I'm excited about it," Rhodes said Tuesday night, "but it depends on me and how I perform in the combine if I'm going to be a first-rounder."
Rhodes currently ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 2 cornerback and No. 18 prospect overall, projecting as a first-round pick. He tied for the team-lead in interceptions (three) in 2012, giving him eight over the past three seasons. Rhodes was a fourth-year junior, redshirting in 2009 after a hand injury sidelined him for most of the season.

A first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection this season, Rhodes is one of the most physical cornerback prospects at the college level, routinely pressing at the line of scrimmage. Listed at 6-foot-1 and 217 pounds, he has the length and aggressive nature to match up well with bigger receivers at the next level. Rhodes is still a little rough around the edges and tends to get too physical in man coverage, but the physical tools will be extremely appealing to NFL teams on draft day. NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated cornerback prospect is Alabama junior Dee Milliner, who is slotted fifth overall. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

•More Xavier Rhodes News

Overview

A high school wide receiver, running back and defensive back at Miami Norland, Rhodes chose Florida State over offers from West Virginia, Auburn and FIU and switched to the defensive side of the ball shortly after arriving in Tallahassee.

Although he had a rough start at cornerback, Rhodes earned his way onto the field as a freshman, but a hand injury ended his season prematurely and led to a medical redshirt. The injury ended up to be a blessing in disguise because it allowed Rhodes to watch film and learn the subtle nuances of the cornerback position while he redshirted.

He returned healthy in 2010 and started all 14 games, emerging as one of the young studs of the Seminoles' defense with 12 pass break-ups and four interceptions. Rhodes failed to match his production as a sophomore (four pass break-ups, one interception), but teams tended to stay away from his side of the field.

Rhodes flirted with the NFL waters after the 2011 season, but decided to return to Tallahassee, especially after he suffered a knee injury in a bowl win over Notre Dame.

He tied for the team-lead in interceptions (three) in 2012, giving him eight over the past three seasons, and earned first-team All-ACC honors. He put up solid numbers despite teams largely staying away from Rhodes' side of the field.

"After one good year when you get numbers, you usually don't get them after that, because they quit throwing at you," FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher said. "It comes back to the respect and appreciation of how he plays the game and how good of a player he is. To me, when a corner doesn't have big numbers, it's because of the respect other teams have for you."

Rhodes is one of the more talented cornerbacks at the college level and has first round ability if he stays healthy and becomes more disciplined.

"I'm excited about it," Rhodes said after the team's Orange Bowl victory over Northern Illinois, "but it depends on me and how I perform in the combine if I'm going to be a first-rounder."

Possessing a rare combination of size (6-2, 217), physicality and athleticism, Rhodes proved to be a standout throughout his career with the Seminoles, culminating in his earning First Team All-ACC honors in 2012. He'll need to run well in pre-draft workouts to guarantee being selected in the first round and projects best to a press-heavy scheme.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Rhodes is strong for the position with a solidly-built frame and excellent arm length. He loves to jam and get physical in press coverage, getting in the face of receivers at the line of scrimmage and staying aggressive through the whistle.

Rhodes has very good click-and-close ability with strong plant-and-go burst to drive on plays in front of him, undercutting routes and knocking down passes. He does a nice job getting his head around to locate and high point with very good leaping ability and timing. Rhodes can flip his hips and easily change directions with a near-effortless transition, showing the ability to adjust and contort his body.

He is confident and instinctive in coverage, coming off his man to make a play on the ball with very good ballskills. Rhodes does a nice job defeating blocks to be a factor against the run and is a punishing striker, making the decleating hit if it's there.

He has very good experience with 39 career starts, finishing his collegiate career with eight interceptions and 31 passes defended.

WEAKNESSES: Rhodes tends to get too physical in tight coverage, playing too hands-on and grabby, which will attract pass interference penalties. He plays very aggressive with the ball in the air, but makes too much contact and needs to pay more attention to body position.

Rhodes needs to show better discipline and is susceptible to play fakes and misdirection. He lacks elite long-speed and isn't a quick-twitch type of athlete. Rhodes needs to stay assignment-sound holding contain against the run. He needs to eliminate the penalties and stay focused, controlling his intensity.

COMPARES TO: Aqib Talib, CB, New England Patriots - While Rhodes isn't quite as fast as Talib, he doesn't have the same character concerns either, But both do have tall, long frames with a knack for making plays on the ball when it's in the air.

Last edited by TTTDawg; 03/26/13 06:54 PM.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Mourgrym #768796 03/26/13 07:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have Rhodes ahead of Millner and believe he is a extremely viable option at 6.

Mourg - You and I have both been saying this for some time now.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
BADdog #768797 03/26/13 07:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From your link.

Pro Comparison: Brandon Browner.

If he can be that, then I'll happily take him at 6. a 6'1 CB that can be physical and a Pro-Bowler? I'll happily pair that up with Haden and have the best young CB pairing in the entire league.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
MrKelso #768798 03/26/13 07:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

still have a few holes that need filled on the roster (Safety, Guard, Tight End, Slot Receiver)

I would argue that in today's league where teams are regularly chucking the ball, a starting CB - especially if you think he has Pro Bowl talent is more important than any of those positions - even if they're also Pro Bowl talent. Looking at last year, Stafford led the league in 727 pass attempts, and 18 QBs total had over 500 pass attempts in the season. That means more than half the league is throwing the ball 30+ times a game.

With two standout CBs, that's a lot of opportunities for turnovers and chances at big plays. Conversely, if you don't have that talent, that's a lot of chances to give up big plays and tons of points (see: The Cleveland Browns defense).

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Bill Polian says;
"There are no reaches only good picks and bad picks."

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
gsa #768800 03/26/13 11:35 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
There'd be little true value in getting Rhodes this early. The Browns would just be reaching to fill a need, and I have a very hard time believing that Rhodes would land at #6 on any one of the 32 teams' draft boards. However, if they somehow did have him rated 6th best player overall (which they should be shot for) then they should be able to get a trade-down scenario from some team wanting one of the LT's, one of the QB's, or one of the defensive linemen.

My bottom line is that there isn't a viable scenario where we'd be smart taking Rhodes in the top-10.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
TheJoker #768801 03/27/13 01:48 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

From your link.

Pro Comparison: Brandon Browner.

If he can be that, then I'll happily take him at 6. a 6'1 CB that can be physical and a Pro-Bowler? I'll happily pair that up with Haden and have the best young CB pairing in the entire league.

I remember Browner coming out of Oregon State a lot had him pegged as a late 1st rounder...I think he slipped to round 4...thought he was going to be a steal...he disappointed strongly and was out of the league if I remember...I think he played Canada ball or something...And now he is one of the better CBs in the league...strange how things work

Jester #768802 03/27/13 03:47 AM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

I have Rhodes ahead of Millner and believe he is a extremely viable option at 6.

Mourg - You and I have both been saying this for some time now.

Count me in on this one too.

Even if we do sign Grimes, I still move down and snag Rhodes. If we don't land Grimes, I still move down and grab Rhodes.

As we sit right now today we are looking real good come draft day. One of Jordan, Ansah or Milliner is going to be there at 6. Especially if both Floyd and Richardson go top 5 because Left Tackles are going to dominate the Top 5 with possibly 3 going quickly.

Ansah? IF. And I mean bigtime IF. If this guy pans out he's got STUD written all over him. He's a huge risk to me, but he could possibly be even better than Kruger. It bothers the hell out of me that Kruger didn't do squat until he got Suggs back opposite him. Could Ansah be our Suggs? Again, if Ansah pans out we have the BEST combo of OLB pass rushers in the NFL.

Then we have Milliner.

Then we have 3 trade down scenarios.

Rhodes and Warmack.

And if we go down to the mid-late teens?

Kenny Vaccaro FS or one of the TE's.

I would love to come out of this draft with:

Rhodes CB
Reid FS
Kelce TE
Best Available OG in 4

kwhip #768803 03/27/13 07:23 AM
Legend
Legend
I just want to point out a couple of things about Kruger:

He started out last year with a back injury so painful that he had to have help putting his socks on. Suggs also wasn't a huge factor once he returned from injury. I do think that Suggs was an upgrade over the scrubs the Ravens started opposite him ..... but I also believe that Kruger getting healthy was a big factor as well, maybe even the bigger factor in his success last year. .

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
im slowly starting to love the idea of trying to fall back a few spots and then taking rhodes....

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Xavier Rhodes

Link Copied to Clipboard