#771488 04/02/13 04:15 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

West Virginia University wide receiver Tavon Austin is set to visit Cleveland next week, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported this afternoon.

Austin is one of the top-rated receivers in this year’s draft, which runs April 25-27. NFLDraftScout.com projects him as a first-round pick, and several analysts have predicted the St. Louis Rams will select him 16th overall. The Browns have the sixth overall pick.

The 5-8, 174-pound Austin proved to be a formidable weapon as a slot receiver and return man in college. In four seasons, he compiled 29 receiving touchdowns. Last season, he led the nation with 114 catches to go along with 1,289 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown and a punt 74 yards for a score.

The Browns could use a wide receiver capable of complementing Josh Gordon and Greg Little. They’re letting Josh Cribbs, a target of the Arizona Cardinals, and Mohamed Massaquoi, who reportedly visited the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday, walk in free agency and want to add someone else to the mix.

Link

Here is what I know about Austin: He is small, no one in college could tackle him, and he scores a lot of touchdowns.

Anyone for trading down and then drafting Austin or what about potentially drafting him a six?

cfrs15 #771489 04/02/13 04:46 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He reminds me of desean jackson.

If you want that at 6 then that's fine but I'd like to get something better than that.

If he was drafted by us at 6 I'd have mixed feelings.

Excited to have some real electricity in open space.

And worried that he'd take a shot and be out for a while.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #771490 04/02/13 05:10 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
the question is if he can be more DeSean than Ginn Jr. in the NFL. he's built more like Ginn. it'll be interesting to see where he's picked, but i'd guess early 20s.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
If we would ever trade down, into the mid-to-late teens, he becomes an option. Maybe the visit is a sign of what the FO might be thinking if their guy is not there at #6?

Tackles are tackles.
H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Teams bring players in for many reasons, either to pick where they stand, smokescreen or pick, after trading down or up.
Personally, I do not want the Browns to pick Austin at #6, if they trade down, possibly.
I believe that Austin comes off the board, by #16 to the Rams, certainly by #23 to the Vikings.

cfrs15 #771493 04/02/13 06:28 PM
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
I love that they're looking at him. He's my pick. Hopefully after a trade down, but I would take him at #6 and never look back.

Why?

He has good hands, is a great route runner, and is nearly impossible to tackle 1 on 1.

He's one of the only receivers in this draft that can take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

He instantly fills 4 positions for us: slot receiver, KR, PR, and scat back (yes, he lines up in the backfield every once in awhile).

He comes with snow tires:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/v/Igmbh5qQAZk[/youtube]

invnobody #771494 04/02/13 08:58 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I would say he is a Middle Class Man's Percy Harvin or (if used properly) a souped-up Wes Welker. Maybe even a little Darren Sproles.

cfrs15 #771495 04/02/13 09:30 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
He can return punts too.

I believe Travis will be the #1 punt returner on the team, followed by who else do we have to return punts? I think Norwood returns them?

Dawg_LB #771496 04/02/13 10:24 PM
Rookie
Rookie
j/c

Antbody know his rushing stats?

Those are some really good rec. stats

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
brownsdog #771497 04/02/13 10:30 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
He had 643 rushing yards (8.9 yards per carry) and 3 TDs.

So in review, he had 1,289 receving yards and 12 TDs, 643 rushing yards and 3 TDs, 813 kickoff return yards and 1 TD, and 165 punt return yards and 1 TD.

cfrs15 #771498 04/02/13 10:56 PM
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Tavon is my favorite prospect in the entire draft. He is so explosive and such a dynamic offensive threat. If you watch the film on him, you can't help but be blown away by his speed, acceleration and vision as a runner, as well as sharp routes and good hands.

A lot of people make comparisons to Percy Harvin or Wes Welker, but I personally see him as more of the type of player that everyone envisioned Reggie Bush being. Line him up all over the place, put him as a back and let him run the ball 5 times a game. Line him up in the slot and throw him the ball 5-7 times a game. It doesn't matter how you use him, just get him the ball because he is such a dangerous player at either role.

As a quick statistical reference

Vs Baylor - 14 Rec | 215 yards | 2 TD
VS Oklahoma - 4 Rec | 82 yards | 21 carries | 344 yards | 2 TDs

If you can get a gamer changer like he could be AND get additional draft picks in a trade down... How could you not want that!

Snide #771499 04/02/13 11:15 PM
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

As a quick statistical reference

Vs Baylor - 14 Rec | 215 yards | 2 TD
VS Oklahoma - 4 Rec | 82 yards | 21 carries | 344 yards | 2 TDs

If you can get a gamer changer like he could be AND get additional draft picks in a trade down... How could you not want that!

WOW!!!

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
cfrs15 #771500 04/02/13 11:16 PM
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

He had 643 rushing yards (8.9 yards per carry) and 3 TDs.

So in review, he had 1,289 receving yards and 12 TDs, 643 rushing yards and 3 TDs, 813 kickoff return yards and 1 TD, and 165 punt return yards and 1 TD.

2X WOW!!!

Sooo... 2910 all purpose yds., 17 tds.... yikes!!!

Last edited by brownsdog; 04/02/13 11:23 PM.

- Isaac Asimov
brownsdog #771501 04/03/13 07:35 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Austin is an excellent prospect, but, we do not need another young WR, we have Gordan, Little, Benjamin, Norwood, what we need is a veteran WR, maybe this Nelson will fill the bill (although he is only 26 he does have experiance) ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
PastorMarc #771502 04/03/13 05:26 PM
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
I have always been in the opinion that no way we draft wr in round one, yet honestly I am rapidly warming up to the idea of Austin after watching more tape on kid. He is a real playmaker wherever you line him up on field and very dangerous with ball in hands. IMO we as a team would really benefit from that, think about him in slot in a vertical offense would be very interesting to see defense stop us. Yet 6 does seem a bit high, would be a luxury pick, and don't think this organization is to the level of making those kinda picks yet. Would, if could find partner, trade back, to 10-15 range and would be better pick at this point. Think one team in this range will want to move up for one of top tackles.

cfrs15 #771503 04/03/13 05:30 PM
Legend
Legend
The better version of him comes out next year and he goes by the name Black Mamba

http://youtu.be/010vgUkP22c

candyman92 #771504 04/03/13 06:30 PM
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

The better version of him comes out next year and he goes by the name Black Mamba

IMO, I prefer Austin. While De'Anthony Thomas is faster, Austin is fast and can put anyone on skates. To me De'Anthony Thomas is a Darren Sproles Clone. Austin is more like the love child of Barry Sanders and Percy Harvin.

invnobody #771505 04/03/13 09:38 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love the idea of Tavon Austin but taking a receiver at #6 is a luxury pick and we have two or three big holes that need filled first (Corner, Guard, Pass Rusher). We even need a safety at some point, but there are not any worthy of the #6 pick.

If we WERE to select him at #6 I wouldn't be upset, but I wouldn't be happy either. If Austin can help us score more points on a consistent basis than the pick will be fine, but if he gets hit in a preseason game and gets injured or something than Haslam is going to crack skulls.

The SAFEST thing to do is to try and trade out of the #6 pick maybe into the middle teen's somewhere, and if he's on the board than yeah sure let's take him!

I do like the idea of him in the slot with Gordon, Benjamin and Little all working the other areas of the field.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
invnobody #771506 04/03/13 09:44 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the Browns can move down to the 12 spot I would be very excited to add his score from anywhere ability to the offense. Getting Miami's pick at 54 and one of their 5th round picks would allow the Browns to do anything they wanted at the top of the draft. Austin's presence could open up so much for the other play makers. Suddenly the Browns would have a serious chance to become a top 15 offense and could still address the defense.

Austin as the Browns' equivilent of Desean Jackson, wow.

MrKelso #771507 04/03/13 09:47 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Maybe the Browns are finaly in a position to take a chance instead of doing the safe thing.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
MrKelso #771508 04/04/13 02:29 AM
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

The SAFEST thing to do is to try and trade out of the #6 pick maybe into the middle teen's somewhere, and if he's on the board than yeah sure let's take him!

That strategy only works in Fantasy Football. The safest thing to do is to get your guy and never look back. If the Seahawks had the #6 pick and took Russell Wilson, the world would gasp....until they saw the Seahawks in the playoffs at the end of the season.

I would be very happy with Austin at #6. Even if Ansah, Jones, and Millner were on the board. I love those guys, but Austin put up over near 3000 total yards last year and our defense was at least watchable. I have a feeling that Austin + Chud + Norv would make our offense special and able to put away a few games.

Last edited by invnobody; 04/04/13 02:36 AM.
invnobody #771509 04/04/13 10:00 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
WVU played in several games that reminded me of NBA ALL STAR GAMES...score, score n score some more.

I wouldn't be impressed with the Stats. Look at the kid on film...not highlight film but Entire game film n not just the 60 point games but other ones where the offense actually played a defense.

I think he has that Harvin/Metcalf quality - man I wish Metcalf was a newly drafted Brown with these new Spread offenses. He's good but like many the hype is there. Moving a late first early 2nd round prospect up all the Draft nicks boards...from what. Leaks from War Rooms??? Real Leaks or fake ones??? Anything revealed these last month or so is hard to believe as a REAL LEAK.

Our guys did not pick Benjamin...Personally I think he has wussy written all over him (Benjamin) I do not like him much. But I have yet to see the underneath wide open for YAC will his speed come through? Austin would be explosive...I see him as a REAL FOOTBALL Player where as Benjamin more a very fast guy playing Football.

Then again I thought Cribbs would have been special in the slot - So what do I know.

What I do know...This team needs Solid Defensive players to make this team awesome n possibly a Stud TE. Honestly if we drop back. Xavier might be better for the team or Eifert for me would do more than Austin. Him n Cameron...along with Gordon n Little. in the Red Zone...I would think DBs would be shaking in their boots - This game is about the Red Zone...Vertical stretch and space disappears in the Red Zone. The tiny guys will not produce the way they did in College. 4 Tall Big WRs providing PHYSICAL miss matches will succeed in the Red Zone...to me that is THE KEY!!!

Don't get me wrong...at the right price I would not mind a weapon like Austin n see him as an UPGRADE on Benjamin Just not where you all are talking about...TOP 15??? Sorry not for OUR TEAM at THIS TIME.
JMHO - we get a 2nd rounder early n he's there...won't complain ONE BIT.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #771510 04/04/13 12:26 PM
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

I wouldn't be impressed with the Stats. Look at the kid on film...not highlight film but Entire game film n not just the 60 point games but other ones where the offense actually played a defense.

Define playing a 'defense'. I can't say I saw all of WVU's games this year, but by the looks of it Austin torched all but two teams (Kansas State and Syracuse). I wouldn't consider either team a defensive powerhouse, but I wouldn't throw away all of Austin's accomplishments either.

After watching most of the Tavon Austin vs (insert team here) clips and seeing this guy consistently make plays, then Chud will figure out a way to translate his college production to the pros. Something like he did with Cam and the read option, but with Austin's deep skill set.

ESPN - Tavon Austin

FYI - I 100% agree with you on Eifert. I would be happy with him too, but Austin is my guy.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong...at the right price I would not mind a weapon like Austin n see him as an UPGRADE on Benjamin Just not where you all are talking about...TOP 15???

I never believe the hype. I watch the film and judge for myself. Austin has it. His change of direction makes him a threat in the red zone. I'll pull some of Austin's red zone scores if you haven't seen them already. You can't tackle what you can't touch.

invnobody #771511 04/04/13 12:32 PM
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

Quote:

Define playing a 'defense'. I can't say I saw all of WVU's games this year, but by the looks of it Austin torched all but two teams (Kansas State and Syracuse). I wouldn't consider either team a defensive powerhouse, but I wouldn't throw away all of Austin's accomplishments either.

After watching most of the Tavon Austin vs (insert team here) clips and seeing this guy consistently make plays, then Chud will figure out a way to translate his college production to the pros. Something like he did with Cam and the read option, but with Austin's deep skill set.

ESPN - Tavon Austin

FYI - I 100% agree with you on Eifert. I would be happy with him too, but Austin is my guy.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong...at the right price I would not mind a weapon like Austin n see him as an UPGRADE on Benjamin Just not where you all are talking about...TOP 15???

I never believe the hype. I watch the film and judge for myself. Austin has it. His change of direction makes him a threat in the red zone. I'll pull some of Austin's red zone scores if you haven't seen them already. You can't tackle what you can't touch.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but I just want to make a note about the bolded. Chud used the read option with Cam at times (mostly in the first half of the 2012 season), but it hurt Cam more than it helped him. He's a lot better out of a conventional vertical offense, which is why Chud dialed back the read option towards the end of the season and Cam's stats improved.

But yeah — I like Tavon a lot too.

invnobody #771512 04/04/13 12:51 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't dislike Austin...Just the need of a slot WR as opposed to other positions.

Definition of Defense..again don't mean to say he was not a weapon. But in many of their games it became a WIDE OPEN Spread fast scoring and HIGH scoring on both sides.

Not the wide open games that will be seen in the NFL...Just saying the Greatness seen in college - Will it be the same in NFL...If he gets on a Packer team like Cobb he would prosper. He gets on a Jaguar team he'll get crunched a couple of times n then how will he be...Damaged? Game Changer?

Us??? Who knows what we will be? Hoping for the best. Red Zone so important in our Division as nobody has a porous D n Red Zone will be the key.

JMHO nothing more don't take it too serious...btw you entitled to yours.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #771513 04/04/13 01:04 PM
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
I also been pondering this kid more, I love the thought of getting him. Even for a while at 6, yet am also as a fan who like the rest of us want to see major improvement this year.
If we can trade back would be all for it, but hard to take luxury pick with no idea of who starters are at multiple positions(cb,fs,)and IMO upgrades needed at others possibly(g,te).
Hard to pick wr with so many perceived holes, even though if healthy kid is electric when you give ball. That's why so torn about his possibility as brown, would love to see him in brown jersey on field, yet not at expense of over drafting and leaving other holes unfilled with legit starters.

Moral of story is we need more picks!!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tavon Austin

Link Copied to Clipboard