Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Weeden was GIVEN the job last year. i cant think of any reason to GIVE him anything this year. He hasnt earned anything in this leauge. He needs to scratch and claw and fight for the job next year. I believe Campbell is a much better QB as of right now. The whole Weeden is in his 2nd year stuff needs to go out the window. That doesnt take away from the fact that he is 31 years old and doesnt have many years left. I say start Campbell and draft a young guy to develop

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

That doesnt take away from the fact that he is 31 years old and doesnt have many years left.

Weeden is 29. Campbell is 31.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

i'd be ticked if we took Geno. The guy is a fumbling machine with no pocket awareness. That is a bad combination no matter how fast and athletic he is- some things just can't be tought.

I would be just as angry as the Weeds pick. That was so stupid!!!

Someone above said trade Weeds for a second rounder- yeah right, not going to happen. Heckert was the only one dumb enough to make a move for him that early. Maybe could get a late rounder if lucky, something along the lines of Palmer and McCoy......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Weeden was GIVEN the job last year. i cant think of any reason to GIVE him anything this year. He hasnt earned anything in this leauge. He needs to scratch and claw and fight for the job next year. I believe Campbell is a much better QB as of right now. The whole Weeden is in his 2nd year stuff needs to go out the window. That doesnt take away from the fact that he is 31 years old and doesnt have many years left. I say start Campbell and draft a young guy to develop

The only thing I am suggesting is that Weeden be GIVEN an opportunity to demonstrate if he can be the starting QB in this new offense. The same for Campbell and whoever else is in camp. That is a separate issue, for me at least, from drafting Smith a 6. Its hard for me to envision anything good coming from that. That's just my opinion on the subject.

Rookie
Rookie
(Last year my grandma yelled at me cause I posted a four letter word that started with F on Facebook IMMEDIATELY after they announced pick 22...)

Fart?

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

if the new regime saw it fit to draft Geno.. then there would be no need for competition.. you don't draft a 1st round QB to have them compete against someone currently on the roster.. to me if you draft them in the 1st you have already done your research to show that they are already better than what you have.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, so I'm asking; do you think its possible the front office has evaluated Smith to be a better option as the starter than Weeden?

Last edited by guard dawg; 04/14/13 08:06 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

if the new regime saw it fit to draft Geno.. then there would be no need for competition.. you don't draft a 1st round QB to have them compete against someone currently on the roster.. to me if you draft them in the 1st you have already done your research to show that they are already better than what you have.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, so I'm asking; do you think its possible the front office has evaluated Smith to be a better option as the starter than Weeden?

if they pick him at 6, considering the Browns picked a QB in the first round the previous season, then they better.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
in a passing league, i can't understand why it would be tough to invision anything positive coming from the top rated passer in the draft. We need a QB of the future. We have needed the same thing since 1999. And we have sucked every year because of it.But then again whens the last time we spent a top pick on a QB? We need to keep looking into the draft until we find the guy.. We don't have him yet, Theres no reason for this regime to give weeden the starting job because he was the 22nd pick last year. He hasnt proved he's a starting qb in the nfl.

N
Legend
Legend
N
When is the last time the top rated passer later until pick six?

The worry is geno not being the qb of the future either.

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Just clicking

How mad would all you guys (and gals) be if we picked Gino Smith with out first pick?

I would be absolute ticked and furious IF we take G.Smith with the #6 pick.. I would lose all respect and hope for te new regime and I could see 10 more years of mediocrity. We have WAY to many needs to plug an QB is NOT one of them.

Next year there are about 10-15 QB that are faring better than this years class. IF we are looking to change QBs next year is a better time than this year to draft a QB. I am looking for us to draft a CB, FS, LB, WR and BPS's

JMHO

I am the artist that was known as Dawgmanincincy
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't know how I could have been more clear. I'll say it one more time, the only thing Weeden or any player should ever be given is an opportunity. After that the rest is up to the player.

If you wish to remain on the carousel chasing a different QB every year be my guest. I am not inclined to join you. The Browns have 7 picks this year. Compounded by having no second round selection. New ownership,new management team, new coaching staff and new schemes on offense and defense. The first all time pick of this new Browns regime must be a slam dunk success. Combine that with the need to also acquire players who will start at CB and FS; contribute/start at TE and see meaningful playing time at OLB, ILB and OG.

In this context I am not drafting a QB with my first draft choice in my first draft who crumbled when the quality of his collegiate competition increased. Smith has the potential to be a good QB in this league but there are way too many questions about him to squander my top draft pick on him. Personally, I am lukewarm on Milliner but I would take him in a heartbeat over Smith. He is much more likely to do what the Browns need their first round pick to do. Be a starter on day one and be able to provide an impact at his position.

I really don't have anything else to add so feel free to rebut my post but I'm not inclined to get into a drawn out debate on the subject.

Last edited by guard dawg; 04/15/13 10:20 PM.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

But then again whens the last time we spent a top pick on a QB?

We took Tim Couch at #1.

We traded a second rounder and a future first rounder to get Quinn.

We spent a first that we got in the Julio Jones trade on Weeden.

We've invested heavily in the QB. Investment isn't the problem. Return on investment is.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I don't think that we really could have spent too much more at QB.

1999: 1-1 Tim Couch
2000: 6-186 Spurgon Wynn
2004: 4-106 Luke McCown
2005: 3-67 Charlie Frye
2007: 1-22 Brady Quinn
2010: 3-85 Colt McCoy
2012: 1-22 Brandon Weeden

So in a dozen (plus 2) drafts, we have spent 1 first rounders, 2 thirds, a fourth, and a 6th. That's basically 1 QB drafted every other year.

We also brought in and started guys like Kelly Holcomb, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Garcia, Derek Anderson, and Jake Delhomme. (and Seneca Wallace got a few starts as well)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Recheck your math there YT. We spent 3 1st rounders on Qb's. I am sure it is just a typo

Also, you could argue that we spent a 1st and a 2nd round pick to acquire Quinn. Ouch, hurts just saying that.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Couch is the only one that I feel that in a better situation could of been good. I'm not saying HOF or even top 5 at the time... But I think we could of won with him..

Had the NFL not set us up for failure, and our FO at the time been morons.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Couch is the only one that I feel that in a better situation could of been good. I'm not saying HOF or even top 5 at the time... But I think we could of won with him..

Had the NFL not set us up for failure, and our FO at the time been morons.

Next up, Potato wars

Just kidding

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
All Roads lead to Rome.....or All threads lead to QB lol

The key to this draft is for the QBs to drop. I am almost positive the Geno Smith will be the first QB taken but if they drop n its late first n still no QB taken...Manuel could be the first???

KEY to the Browns is for QBs to drop.

Cause the value is not at #6 overall - but value can be gotten in the 3rd or 4th rounds if the QBs drop. Where a Glennon or Wilson, Nassib??? could be where it will have Value to take one. None there would be expected to start year one n would get groomed - I think all 3 mentioned there would be better Technical QBs than the Colt pick in 2010 that was a good value in the 3rd. For this offense. JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Yeah, late night typos ....

Hate it when that happens.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

Quote:

But then again whens the last time we spent a top pick on a QB?

We took Tim Couch at #1.

We traded a second rounder and a future first rounder to get Quinn.

We spent a first that we got in the Julio Jones trade on Weeden.

We've invested heavily in the QB. Investment isn't the problem. Return on investment is.

THAT WAS 1999!!! and we had 0 team around tim couch. Second you refer to Brady Quinn. He was a LATE first round pick and he was falling through the draft for a reason. Noone wanted him it was a bad move. I was referring to a top pick you know where we pick every single year. Then you bring up Weeden? Im pretty sure we were the only team in the draft that considered him a first round pick. What im trying to say is in this League in this day and age, you will not be succesfull without a quality QB so wouldnt you want to invest your best assests to aquire the most important position. Say we drafted milliner and he turns out to be a stud (which i already believe he is) and Weeden sucks it up again just like last year, does that make us a playoff team? same thing with mingo or jarvis jones or whatever other complementary player you suggest we take. We need a QB and everyone brings up how good the next years class is going to be, when in actuallity you have NO idea what next years class is going to look like. Look at Matt Barkley from last year he was without a doubt the top QB coming into the college season last year and he was EXPOSED last season and his time coming up to the draft. Now he's a second round pick and considered by many a backup qb in the nfl. When last year he was labled as a number 1 overall pick candidate. I look at next years draft and I don't see an Andrew Luck or a RG3. I see the possiblity of having the best QB in this years crop fall right into our lap. And taking him will not set us back 10-15 years whoever just said that is rediculous. All I say is look at what Chud did with Cam Newton. Not to say They are the same but in skill set wise they are very similar. Also in the same sense is everybody labled cam the same way they are doing Geno and said he wouldn't be successful in the nfl. I think chud has the ability to do the same thing with smith. And his type of potential is exactly what this franchise needs to turn it around,

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have an old keyboard sitting around the house. I could send you an ENTER key if you like. Or a delete.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Impact QB picking... Couch...Quinn n Weeden. The last two were late first round investments. Not really that much for an expansion team desperately needing a Franchise QB to get them out of the depths of conception.

Couch - I'm sure we could debate till the cows come home - I think it was an environment set to fail even a Luck would have been Damaged goods by 5-6 seasons...as we did not build a team around said Overall #1 QB.

Quinn...he now doesn't look like a good 6th round pick. Why QB is the hardest position to Evaluate. Yeah he dropped but still all had him as a First Round QB in their evaluations.

Weeden...we'll find out. I'm hoping he was a late first round early 2nd round QB (pretty much where all had him at) because he was to be a 28 year old rookie. That his abilities with our coaching staff will have him grow into a very productive QB. I think we will know one way or another after this season.

All the other investments were for Hopes n Wishes.

But for a team not having the established Franchise QB we did not make enough Impact investments into the position.

Rodgers at #3 in 05 n Big Ben at #7 in 04 were our two biggest mistakes regarding the QB position. Sometimes its the guy YOU DID NOT TAKE as the mistake not the ones you did!

One thing is certain. If we don't have a Franchise QB - we cannot pass up on a prospect we think can be.

This is a very weird QB draft class. If Geno Smith drops out of the first round.

There actually will be a better than norm 3rd round prospect available to us could be a strange draft class indeed. But you never know 3 or more prospects could go in the First round making QB not a good value probably anywhere. You just never know about QBs. I know many dawgs were hot on him early on...where I had liked Glennon a lot. But as this gets closer if Tyler Wilson is available in the 3rd...he would be an excellent investment!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
IMO, if we took Rodgers, then he'd be out of the NFL right now.

GB completely re-worked his mechanics and still were not 100% comfortable he'd be able to do it in live game situations (taking 2 QBs in the draft the year before he took the reigns from Favre).

We would have needed him earlier (if we even had the capability of re-working his mechanics) and he would have very likely flailed about.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Looking at the picks...

Link Copied to Clipboard