x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#784553 - 04/30/13 06:31 PM Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall
guard dawg Offline

Dawg Talker

I want my QB to "man up". This is just another sign to me that Geno Smith externalizes bad situations. He really needs some self examination. I know this might be seen as piling on but I also didn't like his response when asked about the tweet of encouragement sent to him by Aaron Rogers. It was exactly the right type of advice. But he appears to be unable or unwilling to process it. There was no humility or graciousness when asked about it after being selected by the Jets. I have questions about his emotional toughness. The New York media market is no place for a guy who is too thin skinned. They will eat him alive.

Article pasted below:

QB's drop into second round leads to firing of Select Sports. Terry McCormick
SHAREPrint ThisAPRIL 30, 2013, 01:37 PM EST

Reddit

Geno Smith's unceremonious fall into the second round of the NFL Draft has reportedly led him to dismiss his agency - Select Sports Group, per Liz Mullen of Sports Business Journal.

Smith was selected by the New York Jets in the second round of the draft after many draft experts had him projected as the top quarterback to be taken in the draft. Instead, Florida State's E.J. Manuel was the only QB taken in round by, by the Buffalo Bills.

Select Sports, which consists of Jeff Nalley, Vann McElroy and Graylan Crain, is now paying the price for that fall. An agent's job in the draft process, of course, is to market, prepare and ready a player in a way to get him selected as high as possible.

But if Select Sports oversold Smith's value to Smith on what teams really thought about him, they were far from alone, as most of the draftniks and talking heads also figured the West Virginia QB as a first-round pick.

Here's some advice to Smith as he starts his NFL career. He doesn't want to begin that career playing the blame game, which on the surface is what this move appears to be.

Edited by guard dawg (04/30/13 06:40 PM)

#784554 - 04/30/13 06:40 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
Arps Offline

Hall of Famer

I'm sure glad we didnt draft him.

#784555 - 04/30/13 06:51 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Arps]
archbolddawg Offline

Legend

Quote:

Ditto.

#784556 - 04/30/13 07:00 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Arps]
Tulsa Offline

Legend

Loc: Backnine
Quote:

Now there's a post that needs a like button!

#784557 - 04/30/13 07:05 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Tulsa]
brownsdog Offline

Rookie

Loc: Lexington, KY.
Quote:

Quote:

I like

#784558 - 04/30/13 07:31 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: brownsdog]
E.Ryze19 Offline

Dawg Talker

Loc: Steubenville Ohio USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like

Amen brother!

#784559 - 04/30/13 07:44 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: E.Ryze19]
ScottPlayersFacemask Online   content

All Pro

I say offer the Jets one of our udfa's for him now

#784560 - 04/30/13 08:15 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: ScottPlayersFacemask]
anarchy2day Offline

Hall of Famer

Quote:

I'd offer them the 2nd rounder we had this year.

#784561 - 04/30/13 08:21 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: anarchy2day]
PastorMarc Offline

Legend

I guess he thinks hes somebody ...

#784562 - 04/30/13 08:26 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: PastorMarc]
Dawgs4Life Offline

Legend

Loc: Edinboro, PA
It would surprise me if Geno turns into a good NFL QB. He's too inconsistent, too selfish, and too immature. Not a good combo. BUT ... he will fit in nicely with the Jets
"First down as we threaten again. A score here puts us in the Super Bowl. Odell is far to the left as Landry settles into the slot. Njoku is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Hunt are split in the backfield as Baker takes the snap ... Here we go."

#784563 - 04/30/13 08:33 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Dawgs4Life]
PastorMarc Offline

Legend

Quote:

It would surprise me if Geno turns into a good NFL QB. He's too inconsistent, too selfish, and too immature. Not a good combo. BUT ... he will fit in nicely with the Jets

Thats the word I was looking for ... SELFISH

#784564 - 04/30/13 08:40 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: ScottPlayersFacemask]
Dawg_LB Offline

Legend

Quote:

LOL

#784565 - 04/30/13 10:21 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
YTownBrownsFan Offline

Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio
Wow.

#784566 - 04/30/13 10:39 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
PDR Offline

Legend

I don't really fault the guy for this, or see it as a sign of mental weakness.

Agents take a nice chunk of your change. For all we know, he went with these guys because they promised him they'd deliver 'X'. Maybe they didn't deliver 'X'. Who knows?

I know if I wasn't pleased with my agency group, I'd certainly let them go before they took a bite out of my rookie contract.

Maybe the guy is a whiner. But I don't see any reason to jump to conclusions here.

#784567 - 04/30/13 11:23 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: PDR]
guard dawg Offline

Dawg Talker

99% of the time I am someone who thinks players get judged too harshly and too quickly. I would be happy to see Smith succeed in the league. But to be honest, my antenna is up and I've started viewing him through the lens of pre-draft criticism that was everywhere just before the draft. I went and looked at tape of the Kansas State game where he appears to lose his composure and go into a shell. That reinforces my impression of him.

If you combine the dysfunction of the Jets organization with the snake pit that is the New York media spotlight it seems like a perfect storm. Look what they've done to Sanchez. Smith will need an extraordinary support system to weather what's coming his way. For his sake I hope he either has that support in place or can get it quickly. If somebody like McNabb offers to help him navigate through the ish storm that would be a good thing.

Edited by guard dawg (04/30/13 11:28 PM)

#784568 - 05/01/13 02:50 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: anarchy2day]

All Pro

Quote:

Quote:

I'd offer them the 2nd rounder we had this year.

#784569 - 05/01/13 04:49 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
HewDawg Offline

Dawg Talker

I think this is really interesting. It wasn't Geno Smith's performance last year or his combine results that dropped his selection. If there was any QB class where Smith could have shined, it was this one and he failed through inconsistent play under pressure. Now, he fires his representing agency? Wow, this guy isn't starting off his professional career on the right foot. This guy should be grateful he got drafted in a situation where he will see the field sooner. But if he doesn't perform, I'm sure someone else will get the blame for that as well be it the NYC media, coaching, or supporting cast.

Now I'm really glad we didn't draft him!

#784570 - 05/01/13 07:09 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: HewDawg]
ClayM57 Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: Wauseon, Ohio, Northwest corne...
Way of the world nowdays....Blame somebody else....Why take responcibility for something when you can blame someone else.

Good job FO for not listening to all the reports we need to draft him # 1

#784571 - 05/01/13 07:15 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
FloridaFan Offline

Legend

Could we be seeing the new Ryan Leaf evolving?

#784572 - 05/01/13 08:46 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: FloridaFan]
eotab Offline

Legend

Loc: L.I., NY
I join the ranks of So glad we didn't go with some draftnicks who had us taking him at #6. I was preparing myself mentally there for a while - obviously Geno doesn't get it. It was his Handful of games (almost half) during the 2012 season that he played...Awful. That is why he dropped. Sometimes things are simple.

JMHO - Go Weeden!
Time to work hard and be a Machine out there!

GM Strong!

#784573 - 05/01/13 08:48 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
Damanshot Offline

Legend

Loc: Aurora, Ohio
Let me get this right,, he fired his agents because no team felt he was a first round talent thus nobody selected him until the second round?

Do I have this right?

Really glad we passed on this guy.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot

#784574 - 05/01/13 09:18 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Damanshot]
FloridaFan Offline

Legend

Quote:

Let me get this right,, he fired his agents because no team felt he was a first round talent thus nobody selected him until the second round?

Do I have this right?

Boils down to "had to put the blame on someone, because it's easier than looking at yourself and finding and fixing your faults."

#784575 - 05/01/13 10:18 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Damanshot]
YTownBrownsFan Offline

Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio
Quote:

Do I have this right?

That does seem to be the gist of it.

He said to his agents: "I suck and it's your fault".

#784576 - 05/01/13 11:00 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
BpG Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Hard to blame his agents when even the experts had us taking him as high as 6. Some people thought the Eagles would take him..

#784577 - 05/01/13 11:15 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: PDR]
DCDAWGFAN Offline

Legend

Quote:

Agents take a nice chunk of your change. For all we know, he went with these guys because they promised him they'd deliver 'X'. Maybe they didn't deliver 'X'. Who knows?

If his agent's promised him a draft slot and he believed that they had any control over delivering that, then he is dumber than I thought. Maybe he fired them because they told him to go to the draft and walk across the stage and he did, then when he wasn't drafted he was embarrassed...

I wonder how this works because those agents work on % of contract and I'm sure they did a lot of work with Geno in the months before the draft but he doesn't have anything to take a % of yet... I wonder if he will still owe them money...

Quote:

I know if I wasn't pleased with my agency group, I'd certainly let them go before they took a bite out of my rookie contract.

I don't think anybody would disagree with that, but on the surface, it appears that Geno is displeased with his agents over something they had zero control over... which is kind of stupid.

#784578 - 05/01/13 11:22 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
CalDawg Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: Oregon, OH
It wasn't the fall that killed him, it was the landing on the Jets.

"Don't pass on real players." --John Dorsey

"If you don't wear brown and orange, you don't matter." --Freddie Kitchens

#gmstrong

#784579 - 05/01/13 11:27 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: DCDAWGFAN]
Arps Offline

Hall of Famer

Quote:

I wonder how this works because those agents work on % of contract and I'm sure they did a lot of work with Geno in the months before the draft but he doesn't have anything to take a % of yet... I wonder if he will still owe them money...

That is a very interesting question. Hopefully we will hear how that plays out.

#784580 - 05/01/13 11:36 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Arps]
Punchsmack Offline

Legend

Loc: ~30 Miles NW of Chicago, IL
Maybe it was his agents choice to attend the draft and Geno didn't want to. And then when he didn't get drafted, he was ticked at all the talk about him leaving the green/blue room embarrassed.

There's probably more to the story than we know. He still looks bad, but all will be forgotten if he beats Sanchez out and plays well. I suppse beating Sanchez out won't be a big accomplishment (jeez, I'm still irked at the national media for praising the Jets for drafting a "franchise QB" while we traded out...calling us idiots).

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”

#784581 - 05/01/13 11:43 AM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Arps]
Damanshot Offline

Legend

Loc: Aurora, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

That is a very interesting question. Hopefully we will hear how that plays out.

That IS a very interesting question.. I mean, those agents put time and energy into Geno and his reputation etc. In the end, he was picked where teams felt he was best suited to go.

I just don't see how you plan the agents for this. So if I'm the agent he just fired, I'm going to fight to get a piece of that pie.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot

#784582 - 05/01/13 12:16 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: CalDawg]
PrplPplEater Offline

Legend

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Quote:

It wasn't the fall that killed him, it was the landing on the Jets.

lol!!

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

#784583 - 05/01/13 12:18 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: Punchsmack]
PrplPplEater Offline

Legend

Quote:

all will be forgotten if he beats Sanchez out

OMG, I can just imagine the uproar if/when he doesn't beat out Sanchez!
This is gonna be awesome

#784584 - 05/01/13 12:22 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: PrplPplEater]
no_logo_required Offline

Legend

Quote:

Quote:

This is gonna be awesome

I hadn't even thought of that, but it is now my hope. That would be fantastic.

#784585 - 05/01/13 01:56 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: PrplPplEater]
DCDAWGFAN Offline

Legend

Quote:

Quote:

This is gonna be awesome

I don't think you will have to worry about it. I think Sanchez will be gone before camp starts.

#784586 - 05/01/13 02:12 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: DCDAWGFAN]
PrplPplEater Offline

Legend

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is gonna be awesome

I don't think you will have to worry about it. I think Sanchez will be gone before camp starts.

They're going to have to eat the cap hit of cutting him, because nobody is going to trade for him.

#784587 - 05/01/13 03:05 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: PrplPplEater]
CalDawg Offline

Hall of Famer

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is gonna be awesome

They're going to have to eat the cap hit of cutting him, because nobody is going to trade for him.

Don't think there's a cap hit if he quits.

#gmstrong

#784588 - 05/01/13 03:06 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: CalDawg]
PrplPplEater Offline

Legend

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is gonna be awesome

Unless he volunteers to return money already paid, yes, there would be

#784589 - 05/01/13 03:50 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: PrplPplEater]
CalDawg Offline

Hall of Famer

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is gonna be awesome

Unless he volunteers to return money already paid, yes, there would be

Goes without saying... "I quit, here's all your money back."

#gmstrong

#784590 - 05/01/13 04:04 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: CalDawg]

All Pro

Over/under of how many games till his first "butt fumble"?

#784591 - 05/01/13 04:13 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: ScottPlayersFacemask]
Dawg_LB Offline

Legend

Haha, that butt was Tebow'ed!

#784592 - 05/01/13 04:24 PM Re: Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall [Re: guard dawg]
cfrs15 Offline

Legend

Loc: Monrovia, Ca
This article does not show Geno Smith in a positive light.

Here is one of the low-lights:

Quote:

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

He sounds like a real winner. There is some other pretty bad stuff in the article.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >