Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
How long does it take to heal up from a sex change? If Johnnys balls he had are sewn on are healed and his mangina has not grown back he should play this year

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't get upset when good players leave the Browns. I don't like it, but what is there to do? The Browns have a bad reputation, that of a rudderless ship, and it is well earned. Since our return in 1999 we have had no consistency of leadership. I've made this point before, and I see it as the biggest hurdle the Browns have. Players in their prime looking for a place to play where their career dreams can be realized, have no interest in playing for Cleveland. Imagine the conversation between Sheard and the NE front office, "Jabaal, wouldn't you like to play for a real team?"

In contrast, The Steelers (and I hate the Steelers) are the model of consistency. The Rooney family has owned them since their formation. Since 1969, 46 years, they have had 3 HC, Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin. LeBeau was their DC for a decade.

Before the Browns can attract good players to come/stay here in the prime of their careers, they have to prove to the league they are no longer a rudderless ship, that they have a plan and can stick to it and make it work. We cannot continue to change directions every time a plan doesn't work immediately.

Mike Pettine was hired with zero HC experience. He made some mistakes, and I read people calling for his removal. Ray Farmer brought a very good reputation to his job as assistant GM. When Lombardi was fired, the job was handed to him, again a rookie at the position. In his first year his first round picks didn't contribute immediately. And people are calling for his removal.

WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM TIME!!! We cannot continue to keep changing plans/coaches/leadership and ever reverse the horrid reputation we have in the league. We will never be able to attract or keep good players until we prove we can stick to a plan.

It is our number 1 problem.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: 1day
Manziel will be the starter. Believe that

I believe that can happen. I hope he can. I am pulling for the kid, even above and beyond football.

Now, to the reports....we see all sorts of reports on situations like this and I am sure the signing of Thad Lewis is what fueled this one. I think the signing of Lewis was simply to bolster the QB position. Bring in another player who has playing experience. I think Lewis can push Connor Shaw, and I believe we do have the option of placing Shaw back on the PS. Sure, he would have to clear waivers, but every team has their Connor Shaw. I don't know that Connor is so special at this point that teams are chomping at the bit waiting for his release. If he does get picked up, good for him. It means he is making more than the minimum PS pay of $6000 per week.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
When people consistently make bad decisions they lose support.

1st Haslam swears he will be the champion of continuity then goes on to fire his entire staff, the side effects from those firings is the Browns can't get anyone to come to work for them, and now their poor choices have led us to be the least attractive destination for players.

I would agree that we can't spend our time crying about whats been done but the damage is pretty obvious and it continues to hurt the team and the fan base. I have adopted the stance that we are stuck with what we got, because you can't fire the owner.

He talks a good game but his actions don't reflect his words. He has consistently and obviously undermined his current staff, from player accountability to draft choices and even play calling.

The lack of support you sense for this regime is real and well earned, and we all know we are stuck with them, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't see the lack of a player not signing here is an indication that players see this team any differently from another other than from a team such as the Pats who would have a better shot at a ring.

I might amend that to say I don't think that view is widespread. I would say there is just as good a chance a player may not pick Cleveland because his family doesn't want a cold weather climate to more or less call home if they have schooled aged children.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not certain it could or ever will be obvious to some folks you included of course.

Look the Browns offered both Skrine and Cameron better deals or equal deals and both players went elsewhere, now all's you have to do is ask yourself why? and it isn't because Miami nor the Jets are better teams, nor did they offer either player a better deal. The climate thing has some merit but Buffalo Pittsburg (when they want too) NY NE and on and on have no trouble attracting talent nor retaining it but we do. The simple question is WHY?

Now the question is, are you capable of being honest with yourself?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Sure I can be honest with myself.

In the end, Cameron got more money out of Miami. But I will agree with you that he probably wanted out. We just disagree with the reason why. I think his motivation was lifestyle centered. Had he signed with KC I might lean more your way. Cameron has long been suspected of wanting to get back to a warm climate.

As to Buster, I haven't see anything on what we offered.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Here is the list.

He fire's a pretty good staff including the entire FO.

Then he can't get a qualified coach because they view him as unstable. They finally settle on Pet, but if you believe that Pet was their 1st choice your just plain wrong.

Then he insists that the GM move up in the draft and take JM who wasn't rated as highly by his scouts nor his GM as guys that were still on their board.

He talks about player accountability being the prime reason he wanted Chud gone, then goes on to undermine his staff when they try to get ALL the players on board from West, to Gordon to his prize draft pick JM they have a 2 teared accountability list. One for guys he likes and one for everybody else. By seasons end his head case players have done their damage.

He insists that JM play and when he does what are the results. You can't tell me that a qualified NFL coach couldn't tell JM wasn't ready, nor that he hadn't put the work in to be ready. If thats the case Pet needs to go. That decision was made by Haslam. Now they have compounded that error by driving off the only QB they had worth spit so that they can hand the job to JF.

But worse yet IMO they talk about competition at ALL positions but they don't want a QB on the staff that would or could challenge JF. Seems queer and counter to what you have said.

Then we come to textgate. Who do you really think was responsible for that? And in this process we have a good OC beg out of town, why?

Then we find out that the FO is reviewing game tape with the coaching staff...

The fog has to clear at some point for you and others. We are the picture of dysfunction at this point, and it goes way beyond rookie mistakes.

Our problem is we have a micro manager for an owner who only hires guys that will take the fall for him which in reality is what he has done consistently in business and now in running our beloved Browns. We are in for a long ruff ride and it makes me real sad.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
When people consistently make bad decisions they lose support.

1st Haslam swears he will be the champion of continuity then goes on to fire his entire staff, the side effects from those firings is the Browns can't get anyone to come to work for them, and now their poor choices have led us to be the least attractive destination for players.

To be fair, I don't think JH had much choice. Banner & Co. were getting to be out of control, if reports are true that him & Lombardi were clashing in interviews, not to mention banner's big head and smarting off to some interviewee's. JH let banner talk him into firing Chud, so he could bring a big name guy, that never happened and it got worse from there. I don't think anyone here wanted to keep things as they were. I know I did not. and I'm very pro FO.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Here is the list.

He fire's a pretty good staff including the entire FO.

Then he can't get a qualified coach because they view him as unstable. They finally settle on Pet, but if you believe that Pet was their 1st choice your just plain wrong.

Then he insists that the GM move up in the draft and take JM who wasn't rated as highly by his scouts nor his GM as guys that were still on their board.

He talks about player accountability being the prime reason he wanted Chud gone, then goes on to undermine his staff when they try to get ALL the players on board from West, to Gordon to his prize draft pick JM they have a 2 teared accountability list. One for guys he likes and one for everybody else. By seasons end his head case players have done their damage.

He insists that JM play and when he does what are the results. You can't tell me that a qualified NFL coach couldn't tell JM wasn't ready, nor that he hadn't put the work in to be ready. If thats the case Pet needs to go. That decision was made by Haslam. Now they have compounded that error by driving off the only QB they had worth spit so that they can hand the job to JF.

But worse yet IMO they talk about competition at ALL positions but they don't want a QB on the staff that would or could challenge JF. Seems queer and counter to what you have said.

Then we come to textgate. Who do you really think was responsible for that? And in this process we have a good OC beg out of town, why?

Then we find out that the FO is reviewing game tape with the coaching staff...

The fog has to clear at some point for you and others. We are the picture of dysfunction at this point, and it goes way beyond rookie mistakes.

Our problem is we have a micro manager for an owner who only hires guys that will take the fall for him which in reality is what he has done consistently in business and now in running our beloved Browns. We are in for a long ruff ride and it makes me real sad.

Terrific post and I 100% agree...I haven't been this down on the team in a really long time, and everything is starting to add up..The dysfunction in the FO and the texting scandal, the iffy hires, the horrible FA thus far, Farmer thinking he's a genius and grabbing cut players so we will have comp picks a year later...heck I'm starting to believe that the Browns already know what pick or picks they lost to the NFL and are trying to recoup picks to make up for it...Saddening thing is we finished with 7 wins, and are looking to be right back in the cellar this year...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Without realizing it you have made a rather strong case for why this organization is dysfunctional.

When you have an owner that is on point he monitors these folks and makes damned certain they stay in their lanes as Bernie said.

Banners job was to run all things not football related. It was Lombardi's job to evaluate and acquire talent in concert with the HC.

When these folks don't stick to their jobs but instead inject themselves into areas that are not their responsibility you have what we have dysfunction.

And that starts and ends with Haslam, sorry to say.

If Haslam had been the right kind of owner he would have injected himself and made it clear to all involved what he expected from them and spelled out their rolls and responsibilities. He didn't and in so doing he has failed the organization himself and us.

Haslam at this point is a huge obstacle to moving this team and organization forward he says the right things but his actions to date say otherwise, and it deeply saddens me.

I want it to be different but it just isn't and trying to sugar coat it or ignore it isn't going to make it better. I think coaches and players alike know how bad it is in Berea...

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

I agree with you.

And it is very hard to swallow because there is no fix.

The only thing that may have helped is all the negative attention it has drawn Haslam's way.

Perhaps he will be honest with the man in the mirror and come to the conclusion that if he truly wants to succeed as an owner things have to change.

He came from a minority role with the Steelers but got a birds eye view of how to run a team.

That is all we can hope for. That and a real live quarterback.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree bone amd I share your hope cause thats all we got.

Haslam is the key if he can get himself in check we have a chance...

Right now I feel like the situation is hopeless and that deeply saddens me.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Right now I feel like the situation is hopeless and that deeply saddens me.

"Hopeless" is this organization's motto and they have become very good at it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Tony Grossi Upset w/ Browns in FA

Link Copied to Clipboard