Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
So I'm wondering...

Based on positions:
where is the most depth with quality players that grade out high 1st 2nd round talent?

What about mid round?

Late round gems?

What positions do we stay away from?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Deepest position has to be either WR or RB. Both are chalked full of quality players and you can get a legitimately good player all the way into the 3rd or 4th round again this year.

Stay away from QB and the S positions. There are a handful of players at those positions this year that can make an instant impact/future impact.

Late round always goes to the OL and DL. Small school players are almost always going to be either on the line or sometimes in the secondary.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
So I'm wondering...

Based on positions:
where is the most depth with quality players that grade out high 1st 2nd round talent?

What about mid round?

Late round gems?

What positions do we stay away from?

This is my feel on this year's class based on what I've seen so far.

Extremely Deep:
WR (20+ NFL players)

Deep:
RB (10+ NFL players)
C (about 7 NFL players)
OLB (almost 20 NFL players, though few star/starter quality)

Average:
OT (about 12 NFL players)
TE (about 7 NFL players)
CB (about 15 NFL players)
3-4 DE (about 12 NFL players)
3-4 NT (about 6-7 NFL players)

Shallow:
OG (about 9 NFL players)
ILB (about 7 NFL players)
FB (1)
S (about 7 NFL players)

Premium:
QB (1)

JMO of course. Others will have their own.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Can someone explain to me the theory of this draft being deep with WR? Unless things changed about a few weeks ago, most analyst were saying outside the big three (White, Cooper, Parker) it then goes downhill. The jist I gathered was the next best choice at WR is this Green-Beckham kid which has many off field issues which to me, factoring our current array of players with all the various off field issues, makes me turn away instantly. We need reliable talent, not the "hope" of that.

Someone correct or explain to me otherwise? Thanks.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Can someone explain to me the theory of this draft being deep with WR? Unless things changed about a few weeks ago, most analyst were saying outside the big three (White, Cooper, Parker) it then goes downhill. The jist I gathered was the next best choice at WR is this Green-Beckham kid which has many off field issues which to me, factoring our current array of players with all the various off field issues, makes me turn away instantly. We need reliable talent, not the "hope" of that.

I think its because the "big three" are elite level type wideouts- potential game changers, blue chip #1 receiver types with a high floor and a high ceiling. There is a crap load of good to very good receiving talent in this draft as well though. Similar to last year, you'll see first round quality going in the second round.

So it does go downhill but the bottom of the hill is still a few hundred feet above sea level.

Versus positions like Guard where you have no one really of round 1 quality, a couple in the second and most of them are day three prospects.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
there are 3 receivers that i would consider top 10 in pretty much any draft. Then there is that 2nd wave of receiver about 8 deep that can go anywhere between mid first to early 3rd just because of depth and people making runs at weaker positions due to lack of depth.

RBs are being pimped hard, I thought last years class was better. I dont know if any of these guys will be more than rotational players. I will take a lot of flack for that but I just dont see it in anyone other than Gurley and he is out with an ACL. I wuld not draft any of these guys in the first and i see mid second at the earliest. lots of decent backs but i dotn see skill sets tht wow me.

TE there is Maxx who i think is a top 10 talent and then there is nooone worth looking at untilt he 3rd. just weak draft for TE.

OL is deep but they are overrated as well these are all end of the first round type prospects that will be overdrafted. probably a good 10 players i have with a 2nd round type grade.

DL there is Leonard williams who is top 5 in pretty much any draft. I think he is being so undervalued. then the next wave is about 4 deep with guys like Shelton and brown they are mid tier first rounds. Then there is about another 5 or 6 that are early 3rd types.

Linebackers (i am horrible with passrushers its not my thing) but I am not wowed by this group but the scouts love 5 of them and i think they are all mid to late first types teams think they are top 10. may be the deepest position according to scouts and teams but i am not a fan. lots of guys getting 2nd round grades both interior and exterior.

secondary. I dont have a first round grade on any of these guys. I have 1 corner and 1 safety in my top 90 players. weakest class ever.

Now QB, I am usually really good at these projections. If u are comfortable with Winston off the field he is a top 5 prospect. If u arent he is undraftable. To me he is undraftable. Mariotta is a 2nd round prospect. Now i thought blake bortles was a 2nd round prospect last year that was overdrafted and i had a higher grade on him than i do on mariotta.

Petty is right behind Mariotta and hundley is a 3rd rounder. After those 4 there isnt a qb worth a 7th rounder.

Overall I hate this draft. I think it is nearly as bad as the mingo draft class. If we traded both our firsts for firsts next year, i would say brilliant.

If there are 30 players out of this draft in the nfl in 3 years from now, i will be thouroughly shocked.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't worry, the "texting" GM will screw it up again... willynilly

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Im with you. I just dont see this depth at WR that everyone else sees. I like cooper and coates. Havent seen the kid from W.Va. enough to form an opninion. Only other is Beckham from Mizzou but he's a bigtime headcase.

Overall I think this is a very weak draft. Subpar talent at QB,CB, WR, TE, and no future HoF left tackles,

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

SuperBrown, you've posted more these last couple of months than you did the entire last season! I'm glad you're back 'on board' (yes, silly pun intended).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

SuperBrown, you've posted more these last couple of months than you did the entire last season! I'm glad you're back 'on board' (yes, silly pun intended).

What's a ...wait for it rofl...a SuperBrown? Reap what you sow, SB... naughtydevil

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

It's because I have no life 3rd... brownie
On a positive note, I do hope the "texting" GM will pan out. IF he doesn't, we are done!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

What's a ...wait for it rofl...a SuperBrown? Reap what you sow, SB... naughtydevil

You should know what a SuperBrown is by now bb....
Wait for it.............Wait.............Here it comes...............

Superbrown is a nut, because he still roots for the Browns....as he goes screaming into the night... willynilly

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

You should know what a SuperBrown is by now bb....
Wait for it.............Wait.............Here it comes...............

Superbrown is a nut, because he still roots for the Browns....as he goes screaming into the night... willynilly

Aye, laddie! Ye are a grand wee sport... thumbsup

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
On a positive note, I do hope the "texting" GM will pan out. IF he doesn't, we are done!

saywhat SB post a positive!! thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is it just me, or perhaps because it is raining and gloomy, that this draft upcoming, seems lacking in plug-n-play talent? IMO, there is only one (perhaps marginal) "blue-chipper", namely Leonard Williams, and a handfull or two of above average guys.I'm of the opinion that there will be a few players from the second-third-fourth rounds that may turn out better than a notable quantity in the mid-late first round. This draft is less than inspiring...

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly don't believe that most GM's have three WR's rated in the top 15.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well supposedly there will be 4 Edge Rushers going in the top 10 picks. Thats pretty deep.

3 WRs in the top 10 picks. There are good WRs all over this draft and every draft.

RBs suppose to be pretty deep.

Interior OL seems to be deep as most of the OTs are said to be OG candidates. No sure fire Joe Thomas' Clancy out there.
2 QBs we assume will go top 10 one might drop.
3 first round DTs maybe one worthy of the top 10...hope Shelton goes early dropping somebody to us. People acting like he's a Ngata...nothing close???

Williams a sure top 5 player. Would love to get him but that ain't happening.

2 CBs top 20 class.
1 Safety and a big drop off.

The value in this draft just might be the 2nd tier guys. I still say the Beckham kid at 19 or later would be the steal of the draft.

A lot of Solid LOS type guys but no Superstar types out there.

Good year to get Interior OL, TE, ILB outside of the first round? As said you can hit on a WR RB anywhere in this draft, I think RB is very deep this draft.

I like some not so big name TEs, kid from OSU, Florida St. Hey is the 400lb Baylor TE coming out this year...lol laugh

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't want any part of Doriel Green-Beckham (spelling?) as we've had our share of problem child at the receiver position (Josh Gordon). If memory serves me correctly I do believe he had some off the field drug related issues at Missouri which caused him to be dismissed from the team? An NFL scout on ESPN Radio (I think on Mike & Mike) a few weeks ago was quoted in saying that "Green-Beckham is a game changer with the football in his hands, but he has a very low football I.Q. and has no idea what he's doing on the field when the ball isn't in his hands". Taking him at #19 seems like a risk despite his elite physical talent. This does seem like a fairly deep class of wide receiver though based on articles I've read and mocks I've seen.

Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Devante Parker (The Big three).

Then you've got Doriel Green-Backham, Devin Smith, Jaelen Strong, Sammie Coates, Brishad Perriman, Devon Funchess. Those names could go anywhere from the late 1st round through the 3rd round.

Their could be some late round gems (in my opinion) like Phillip Dorsett, TY Montgomery, Rashad Greene, Tyler Locket and Justin Hardy. Guys who won't be immediate game breakers but could help a team and grow into a solid role over time.

Overall it's actually a better looking WR class that people on this board are saying.

Jaleson Fowler the FB from Alabama can block like a guard, catch like a receiver, and run like a running back. I think if we could take him in the 5th round he would end up being a huge steal for us. He could be a really, really productive player in our run heavy offense.

Last edited by MrKelso; 03/27/15 03:28 PM.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Where is the value in this draft

Link Copied to Clipboard