Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1868714 06/25/21 05:36 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am kinda hooked on wilderness survival.

I watch "Life Below Zero". The older show called "Yukon Men." Really liked "The Last Alaskans."

"Naked and Afraid" is ok. To contrived but I watch it.

"Mountain Men" is scripted but I like some of it.

"Alone" is the best though. They have to film themselves. They are trained beforehand to handle the camera.

The contestants are trying to win $500k. They can bring ten items. The person who last the longest wins.

The people selected are trained in survival. They have to have a verificable background. And most seem capable.

They are put in a remote northern wilderness. They have to figure out the best way to last. There have been eight seasons.

I love watching the show. It is very interesting to see how people handle it. What ten items they select? What there strategy is? How to survive? How to feed yourself? Best use of time? Their survival skills? How they handle the mental side? What isolation does to people?

I believe 100 days is the longest someone has lasted so far.

Men and women have tried. Both have done well. A number have been medically removed. Most have starved. The last winner shot a musk ox with a bow and then killed it with a knife.

Many give up because of just being Alone.
==============================================

I am to old now to try. However, if I had a chance at anytime before 55. I would have loved to try.

I have been to remote Alaska and British Columbia. I have traveled alone in Central America living in a tent for six months. I have a lifetime of knowledge in fishing and hunting. I earned a degree in Anthropology. Always had an interest in indigenous people and how they survived.

If given sometime to prepare and learn some of the area's plants and animals. I would have loved to give it a shot.

As a new season begins they go over each persons background. They are all legitimate candidates. They all have serious skills.

But as the weeks go by. You begin to see how they breakdown. Most starve. Some get injured. But the hardest part for most seems to be separation from family.

This season is near a lake in British Columbia. They start in the Fall. Winter comes quick. They are in heavy bear country both grizzly and black bears. They encounter both along with a mountain lion. Wolves are also present.

When they give up. They have to call on a sat phone.

This is for real. Wilderness is unforgiving. You can make a fatal mistake easy. Grizzly bears are a real threat. They are unpredictable. The people have bear spray and bang guns.

Believe me. That may help under some conditions. But not all. I have been in areas in Alaska just like where they are. I have been very close to grizzlies within 30 yards.

It is very un-nerving. You could be 15 feet away and not see them. Most times nothing will happen. But there is no guarantee that something will not happen.

Anyway. I just watched this weeks episode so far two of the ten have given up just a three weeks into it. Now you can begin to see how some are weakening.

Really a interesting series to me. I wish it was around when I was around forty. No doubt I would have tried to get on.

Legend
Legend
I'm glad you mentioned The Last Alaskans. I was really sad when they didn't come back for another season after Bob Harte passed. That show was genuine reality TV vs those other phony Alaska shows. I did like Life Below Zero.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
I’m making it three days tops on Alone.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Alone is one of my and my girlfriend’s favorite shows. It’s an escape from most over produced TV. It’s harsh. It’s real.

Another one we like is The Island with Bear Grylls. It’s multiple people living on an island. No preppers or those with real survival skills. It’s about as real as it can get. The camera crew is also living in the same conditions. It’s hunt, or starve. Build shelter, or get wet. It proves remote tropical islands aren’t fun places to be stranded.
Though more produced than Alone its everything the show Survivor isn’t. No model/actor wannabes. No games. The drama is real. The starvation and stress… and good times… are real.

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Is it a realisitic scenario that people in that situation would not travel to and enter and then leave civilization?

B
Legend
Legend
B
We all have personal traits. Being alone wouldn't be a problem for me. I would much rather be alone in a situation like that unless it was some sort of situation where security was a real threat where you felt you needed eyes open at all times. Two people end up having 2 ideas. Two ideas often create conflict.

I will check it out. So, 15 items....do you start nude when picking your items or do you really get 15 other items after you have been given items?

Is it any items or a provided list of items?

I think 2 of my items would be 2 dogs. They provide security and can provide food if it got down to the nitty gritty. At least 1 dog. Being able to sleep is critical in a crisis situation.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

You get to select ten survival items. Your clothes don't count. But it is not like you can pack a suitcase.

No guns. Bow and arrows I believe count as one.

Typical items because they are near a lake are:
fishing line, hooks, some kind of hand saw, fire starter flint, snare wire, some kind of knife, cooking pot, tarp,
sleeping bag, axe.

No dogs. Obviously ones choice in items is critical.
Some may not take a flint and rely on their ability to start a fire with a hand made bow drill.

You would not last without a good sleeping bag.

I would think hard about a "army type trenching tool" which has a shovel head and pick. Plus you could shapen the shovel head and use it like an axe.

The shelter you build is super important. Some build a mini cabin with notched ends. A women in this season who had lived with indigenous people built a "pit house." Dig a square about 3 feet deep. Bury a center pole. Cut timber to fit a tipi top. Cover with bark.

The guy that won the season before also built a half buried small house. Once it starts to snow and temps drop. You better be able to maintain a decent inside temperature. Obviously wind and rain must be kept out.

Getting enough calories is what breaks people. Hand fishing with a line and hook is not very efficient. How you expend calories is critical.

Snare lines will work for rabbits once you can track where they are ( snow helps a bunch). Some people weave a gill net which is a good idea. Passive fishing is the way to go.

Getting a big game animal is important long term if you are good enough at hunting.

Foraging for berries and other plants is important early. Once it starts to snow it is hard times. You need fat. Fish really helps.

Where I see some fail is just knowing what food is available near enough to them.

Example. Early get to a high place where you can see as much as possible of what surrounds you. I have yet to see someone trap a beaver. Beaver meat is very fatty and rich in calories.

Deer are around so that is available if you are able and selcted a bow. One guy built a boat out of a tarp and willows for a frame so he could get off the lake shore and fish in deeper water.

Depends on your survival strengths.

To me fishing, and snare wire is very important.

Selecting a bow and arrow means you better make it count.

Ten items is not a lot. So your stategy is key to your survival.

This is no joke. You better have skills and have the right mind set. This is a supreme survival challenge.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok....one you mentioned is a trenching tool. That was maybe about the 3rd on my list. My shelter would be partially underground and a earth berm to help provide some temp regulation. A lean-to isn't all that great if you are going to be there a good while.

A good tarp for water collection and overhead shelter would come in handy. Have as many multi-purpose items as possible.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
She dug that hole for her put house with a stick and a deer/elk jawbone she found. No special tool or shovel.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

So far Alone has only been in cold environments.

It is a tough choice on the ten items. Some don't take a bow. Depends on your strengths.

Snares to me are a must. Because they are always working. That knowledge of how to trap is really important.

Weaving a gill net is also efficient again it is always working. Once the lake freezes solid to walk on. Ice fishing again can be passive.

You have to plan long term. Have to build a smoker to preserve food. Predators are a constant threat. Once bears hibernate that does not mean others will not get what food you store.

What I find interesting is how much the mental side comes into play. When your body is depleted of calories. Your mind works overtime. People who have kids dwell on them.
The guy who just tapped out. Had a lot going for him. He built a good shelter. Scored a few meals. He was not suffering. However, he had lost a 4 year old daughter to a heart condition. Had his wife and a son. It started to eat on him as to his priorties with life. When with his family he could see his lost daughter in them. Without them around his grief ate him up. He chose his family over trying to win the $500k.

The mental part really works on people. As the days pass you can see how the inner self reveals their crutches.

I find "Alone" fascinating. Many of the people on the show are really skilled. But no matter they are pushed to the limit. Tapping out eats at them as time wears on. When you are constantly cold and hungry your mind can be your downfall.

As a young man I lived in Montana between Butte and Helena.
I lived in a old miners cabin on the top of the continental divide. Wood heat and cook stove. No electricity. No running water. Odd house. Oil lamps. Water from the stream. But I worked in Basin Mt. building a "ball mill" to crush rocks and sluice for gold. I bought most of my food. But if I had to I think I could have survived. At the same time talk is cheap. Survival is a full time job that requires a lot from a single person. Once heavy snow and severe cold sets in it gets real fast.

"Alone" is a real challenge that takes serious preparation and then mental and physical skills along with some luck.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Here is a link to the show that provides a list of clothes etc. you can bring that do not count as one of the ten items.

https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

Also, there are many restrictions. Barbless hooks? Animals that can not be hunted or restictions on some you can hunt. Each location of the show has many different restrictions. Some seem really absurd.

Over time Alone has gained a huge following.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Each Alone season after I get a chance to see the people for awhile. I try to determine who will win.

Last season I picked the winner very early. He was as hard core as they come. First he was an Alaskan hunting guide. He had lived an outdoor lifestyle almost his entire life. He was unattached. Had no real immediate family. He was also very used to time alone. He built a good shelter. His head always was in the game. He worked constantly on his plan. He was a skilled hunter. He got a big kill(musk ox) that gave him food for storage.

Bad strategies will ruin you.

One thing they should make clear on the show early are all restrictions. They can really limit you.

I just read on this Chilko lake. Barbless hooks. No bait artificial only. No gill nets. Limits on daily amount of fish. No traping beaver. No hunting black or brown bears. These are huge disadvantages. Deer, bucks only must have over two point rack.

You would think that with only ten people and the show premise that some kind of negotiation with the Canadian government could take place.

I have been to British Columbia to fish for steelhead. The hunting and fishing regulations are fiercly enforced. I am behind that. But in this area and under the timelines and conditions I do think there should be some leeway.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I didn’t know about this season’s limitations. Barbless hooks are tough without an actual rod and reel. Trying to hand land a big salmon/trout on a barbless hook… not easy. Keeping tension on the line would be a challenge for sure. And no gill nets? Man without passive fishing it’ll be tough.

As to last season. Once he got that musk ox and had rock house built that guy could have completely ridden out the winter. Rock house was a genius move. So much thermal mass. Once the rock was warmed he could leave just a small fire burning to stay warm. Or be gone for hours and return to warmth. Even if his fire dwindled. That dude was hard as nails and had all the skills needed. He could have been dropped into the same wilderness in 1840 and done just as well.

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
I like Naked and Afraid.

No Craps Given
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

He not only had mad skills but he had the right mental fortitude.

When interviewed after winning he was very straight and said it pushed him to his limits.

This season the girl who built the pit house has a good mental makeup. However, she really needs to have a good food strategy that is successful.

The guy who built the boat? Not sure yet about him.

The guy who built the pier? Maybe.

As yet I don't see anyone who really is going to make it long. The previews shows a deer kill by one guy. All I can say about that given the season and bear activity.

He better cache that food away from him and make sure he builds a predator proof storage unit like the one the previous winner built.

Hanging it high may not cut it. Wolverines are smart and determined. There are many others predators. Lynx, martin, rodents, fox.

I am sure wolves are around. Although they may not attack a human and they do fear people. They are the top predators.

Chilko lake from what I looked at has two rivers Chilko river and the Taseko river. It has a huge run of sockeye.

The Chilko Lake Watershed is one of the last untouched systems. Chilko River and Lake support four ocean runs of fish; the Steelhead, Coho, Chinook and our largest, the Sockeye Salmon. The Sockeye run averages around one million returning fish per year to the upper Chilko River and Chilko Lake.

The spawning season is in the fall.

These people need to find that and get on it.

If they can get to a salmon run. You could last the longest. Again I don't know what restrictions there are.

I don't know if they are restricted in how far they can travel?

I would figure out the fishing.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The mind is usually the downfall. Most people give up before giving out.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Typically the people who are contestants starve.

As their bodies start to eat muscle. They don't think clearly.The combination of lack of calories, exposure, cold temps, and the isolation. They crack.

After 60 days most lose 20/30 lbs or more depending on their bodies. It grinds them down.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What amazes me is when you see contestants that do not put equal effort into food gathering as they do shelter. They will sometimes spend 8 to 12 days on shelter alone without much thought at all to food. Then, once they're weak and run down it's like, "Well I guess it's time to figure out this food thing".

Another thing is, like this guy who went home on the latest episode. So you can fiddle around with making a pipe, notching initials into you shelter, but have zero firewood stacked up for the coming winter? Dude, you can fool around with the dumb crap when everything is frozen and it well below zero. Then you're stuck in your shelter with a lot of time on your hands.

I would never have tried to have convinced myself I could have seriously of competed on this show. The area I grew up in I may have done pretty well. I think I could have survived quite well. But I certainly do not have the ability to adapt to an environment totally foreign to me.

You on the other hand have a lot of experience under those conditions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

So funny that you mentioned the guy who made the pipe.

My brother and I are big fans of the show. We talk after each episode. I told him as soon as I saw that guy make that pipe. I said he is toast. I could tell his head was not in the game. Unless you are socked in with terrible weather. You better be working. Especially early on. You must make use of every early opportunity. Once you have your shelter. You must be working on food. Early you have forage all edible plants. Berries, roots, wild oninons, rose hips, everthing once snow flies it is gone. Also early forage trips help you plan moves. Learn game patterns.

The guy that won last season. He is the example of how to. He was relentless in pursuit of his "plan to survive."

Once informed on where you are going. You have to find out how native people survived. I lived in New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and Oregon. It is amazing to learn what native people did to survive. They knew every resource and how to exploit it. Huntering and gathering yes but also craftsmanship with natural materials. Example on rocks. You can heat some flat hard river rock. Bury them a little cover with spruce boughs. They will stay warm a long time. In extreme cold you sleep on top.

If you are not storing firewood to the max while it is easy to gather dried dead wood. You will suffer when it gets cold.

In BC in that area salmon are the top of the food chain. No salmon those bears are not there in that quanity.

I have been close to that area Smithers, BC. fishing for steelhead. I was there once with my brother and another time with my son. Chilko Lake is further west. But very similar. Hungry land. Once winter sets in you better be ready.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

There is an interesting book on Heimo Korth.
I read it.

He is an interesting guy. There is also a book on Stan Suray the lead guy from Yukon Men. He is another guy who has lived large. His experiences are something else.

I have been to Alaska nunerous times. All around Lake Iliamna which is southwest of Anchorage. I have a friend there who owns a remote cabin. I have gone there a number of times fishing with my son and once with my brother.

True wilderness. It is beautiful there. But it is also dangerous. You get hurt there. You are in big trouble. There is no 911 help line. It may days or even weeks to get you out if weather comes in. And weather there can come anytime.

I had some scary things go down but was fortunate nothing really bad happened when it could have very easily.

I hope they bring The Last Alaskans back. It was beautifully shot. I really enjoyed that series.

M
Legend
Legend
M
How often do the contestants meet with the show's producers to swap out batteries for the camera(s)?

I assume the show performs medical checks during this time from a liability standpoint?

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Alone is one of my favorite shows, would love to do it. Once I found my spot, my shelter would get done ASAP, then food, food, food!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
They go through camera training.

I think they do a check up periodically. A few people have been forced to tap out because of their physical condition became to poor to continue.

https://thecinemaholic.com/is-alone-scripted-or-real/

The producers regularly replenish the video card and batteries for the equipment. Later, all the recorded footage is collected, and a team of associate producers goes through it and decides which parts make it to the final cut. As a result, not all of the footage filmed by the contestants ends up on the show. To craft more compelling episodes, the footage is carefully edited to amplify the intensity and drama of the situations faced by the survivalists.

Last edited by bonefish; 06/27/21 06:59 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Alone is one of my favorite shows, would love to do it. Once I found my spot, my shelter would get done ASAP, then food, food, food!

A few years ago, a guy got the boot because of his malnutrition status, even though he had a really nice stockpile of preserved fish to last him quite a while. I felt really bad for him as he was making what he felt were uncomfortable sacrifices (hunger) to stick it out long term. He really wanted to stay and broke down crying when they made him leave.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

A few years ago, a guy got the boot because of his malnutrition status, even though he had a really nice stockpile of preserved fish to last him quite a while. I felt really bad for him as he was making what he felt were uncomfortable sacrifices (hunger) to stick it out long term. He really wanted to stay and broke down crying when they made him leave.

Dude had like 30 fish saved up but was also starving.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Fish is a great source of protein but delivers very little fat content. When your body is being stressed and fighting cold, it needs fat.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Fish is a great source of protein but delivers very little fat content. When your body is being stressed and fighting cold, it needs fat.

These were salmon. They have plenty of fat.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
A 3-oz. serving of 75 percent lean ground beef contains 15 g of fat compared to 4 g of fat in the same amount of salmon.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/378459-comparison-between-beef-fish-nutritional-content/

Saturated fats are much different than unsaturated fats.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
His biggest problem is he had starvation brain. It’s known that people that starve to death often hoard food instead of eating enough of it to survive. Your brain fools you into playing a long game… one you can’t survive in the short term. After he was medically tapped out they went into it a little on the show.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes I saw it. I just wanted to point out the fact that fish, even salmon, doesn't have the fat of red meat and it isn't even close. Even some red meat is very low in saturated fats. If you are on a strictly fish diet under such type of survivalist living conditions, the amount you would have to eat to maintain any weight would be huge.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Many of the contestants run into that problem when all they’re eating is rabbit especially. Which is very low in fat. They go to bed full but still lose weight.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This season I have not seen enough of all the people to make a guess who might win.

The girl who made the fish trap. I think she will be done soon. That fish trap is a waste of time. Their best bet for fish is to go where the rivers empty into or drain from the lake. That will give them the best shot at salmon. Spawning salmon don't really eat. That hunger subsides and it is all about spawning. If on the beds sometimes they will attack a lure to protect the bed. But they can be snagged if "permitted."
Also they pod up in big groups and if you rigged the bow and arrow tips. You could bow hunt them. Long hand nets can work. And you might be able to spear them.

If you can find an active deer trail or food source for deer. Your best bet with a bow is to build a tree stand and be in it before first light.
This is a tough season because of limitations.

Bull trout and rainbow will be much easier catch once the ice is thick enough to walk on. The boat guy has a chance but if they are not allowed to use bait good luck.

They don't have rods and reels to cast lures or spinners any distance.

Putting set lines out from shore where most are in the wind and no bait. Again the wind will blow those lines all over the place and they will lose hooks.

Until the lake freezes. I would have snares all over the place. I would be hunting and making further plans on hunting while learning the area and animal behavior.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I agree. That fish trap was a hot mess. Too small. Seemed poorly constructed. Then add bad placement. The likelihood of it providing meaningful calories is next to zero.

Someone gets dear. I think that’ll come in this next episode. Who ever does that is in the drivers seat. Yes there’ll be work to be done to protect it, dry it, store it, etc., it’s still a game changer.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I saw the preview. He took the shot from the ground. Very lucky to get within bow range to get that shot.

A deer may last for 60 days. You will get 50 to 60 lbs. of meat.

It is a giant disadvantage not being being able to use bait and have barbless hooks.

You can make egg pattern around the shank with thread. That would be their best chance. You might get some reddish color into the thread from rose hips and or choke cherries.
I would try and get some scent into the yarn.

Once that hard cold comes. These people will really feel it.

This challenge may end earlier than other seasons.

Last edited by bonefish; 06/27/21 04:48 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The one dude brought pink boxers. The first thing I though of was how many cloth/thread ‘worms’ he could make. A seasons worth.
The barbless hook this is tough. Unless a fish really swallows a hook keeping one on is a challenge. Barbless hooks can make set line fishing a little tougher too. Easier to spit or shake it given time.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

With a fly rod and reel you can get by with barbless hooks because the strike and set are immediate and then you can keep pressure on the line and fish.

With set lines, barbless and some kind of artificial trout will not eat that. And if by some chance they did bite they would spit it out. Natural bait they swallow it.

I don't see them having much success fishing. That lake does not have pike. Pike will attack just about anything.

I would be looking for the rivers. There could also be small lakes around with pike.

I wonder if they are restricted in how far they can travel so they don't run into each other?

C
Legend
Legend
C
They are allowed a five square mile area to inhabit.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I check for funnel points or shallow areas in a river and form a spear. Gig'em.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

That is interesting.

I would like to see drone shots of each person's area.

That is why one of the first things I would do is to get to highest point around.

You have to know what is available to you.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Just watched last nights episode.

20 days into this is when you start to see people breakdown.

Matt was doomed. Poor shelter. Clueless food stratedy. When I saw him trying to "meditate on wife" I said to myself he is finished. He did not have the right mental state to last. I don't care about him teaching survival skills on the weekend. He didn't have a chance.

Michelle. Last week when she built her fish trap. Again it was over for her. She gave a good effort. But in reality she did not have strong survival skills for this area. She is very small and the lack of food did her in.

Down to six.

Biko he has some body fat storage but knife building does not count as a skill in this. I don't know what he is doing? I doubt he will last.

The older guy with long beard and stash. He seems to be losing it. Starvation is eating his body. He is weakening. I don't see his food plan. Seems like to much time around the fire.

I think it is Nate that gets the shot at a deer. Right now he is in the best place. Good shelter. The deer may get him the win.

The girl who built the "pit house" was not on this episode. So, I don't know about her. Grest shelter but I have no idea what she is doing for food.

The guy who built the boat and has think glasses. He was not on this episode as well. He has a chance. I questioned the boat. But he did a good job. However, given barbless hooks, no bait, the wind and the type of lake. It will be really hard to have coninued success fishing. Not enough for storage and smoking.

Looking at the aspen leaves it looks about late August.

By mid to late September winter will begin. Once that happens the people left are going to face problems. I don't see many of them with much stored wood. They will go through wood like matches once it gets cold.

I don't think this will last much further than 60 to 75 days maybe less.

If someone were to reach the river. Salmon will be in it. And they can be caught numerous ways. As yet nobody has mentioned even trying to find a river.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Alone the series

Link Copied to Clipboard