Next Thread
Print Thread
#1806410 10/18/20 02:31 AM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
In many past years, since we gave up our season tickets to the Browns, we made a special effort to attend a Browns home game, and spend the weekend in Cleveland on or near our anniversary (and my birthday). Just kind of our anniversary celebration kind of thing.

With that not possible this year, obviously, we didn't. Instead, went out to eat tonight at a place we both really like, and has a lot of tv's.

Archbold is in the state football playoffs, and again, in a normal year, we would have attended the game. It was even at home. But, that's not allowed either - for us, as we don't have an immediate family member on the team.

So, to a restaurant we go. (I would've much preferred to stay home and catch the Archbold game on line, but....)

So, we get seated. 6:55 pm, wife pulls her phone out. My thoughts, unspoken, were "great, now who's she texting?

Next thing I know, she puts her phone on the table, leans it against the fake candle thing, and we're watching the h.s. game.

She and I, watching a 4 inch screen, in a restaurant full of 60 inch screen tv's. It was a bit awkward, for others, when wife and I were cheering when apparently nothing 'cheerable' was happening on the big screens. We didn't care.

Wife likes football as much as I do, maybe more, really, as she'll watch any game on tv.

I just thought it was cool that, out of the blue, she put the hometown team on her phone, propped it up, and we watched. Couldn't hear, of course.

Oh, we won 42-0. Next up? Carey, here, next saturday. We'll be watching, on line of course even though the field is 5 miles from us.

There's just something about small town sports, at least for people that grew up playing them........you support your team. Small town hicks? Some will think that, and I don't care. I prefer to think of it as small town connection. (I will never forget my daughter playing her first varsity softball game as a sophomore.........seeing her on the field, wearing the Archbold uniform - pride.)

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Happy Anniversary. I'm glad both of you found some celebration despite this odd world we live in today.

I grew up in the suburbs and I played in the local HS marching band; my affinity for football plus my enjoyment of all things trombone really drew me to Friday night lights.

I eventually continued this at UT where I did march and got a chance to watch some exciting games coached by Matt Campbell in the glassbowl and at OSU where we almost beat them.

I understand the love. We don't have any football teams where I currently live and teach, and that's something I really miss on Fridays. During any other normal year, we do have wrestling, native youth olympics, mix 6 volley ball, and basketball. Basketball is huge up here; it's about as popular as HS football in the lower 48.

We celebrated our first this past June. Made the most of it with a meal entirely from scratch (minus the noodles and chicken breasts we bought).

Love finds a ways to celebrate regardless of the situation. Glad both of you found some solace tonight.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Happy Anniversary smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Happy anniversary!

Legend
Legend
Happy Anniversary you newlyweds.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Happy Anniversary!

You can't talk about a restaurant and not get in to details about what you ate!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Happy Anniversary arch.

I too grew up in a small town an understand the connection you speak of.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Happy anniversary!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Happy Anniversary. It's great when your wife loves football, too.

Legend
Legend
Happy anniversary buddy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs. laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Happy Anniversary!

Chicken parmesan, plus a sub and a pizza to go. Wife asked why. I said "food for the steelers game tomorrow".

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Happy Anniversary!

Chicken parmesan, plus a sub and a pizza to go. Wife asked why. I said "food for the steelers game tomorrow".

.... not realizing the game would cause you to quickly lose your appetite.

Happy anniversary arch and Mrs arch.

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Pretty much.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... 24th Wedding Anniversary

Link Copied to Clipboard